[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 145495 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »
I'm happy to trade a F%cky loss for that Purdue win.

I'm not Mike.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
Badgers pounded by NC State. Hopefully that loss doesn’t end up hurting us too much on Selection Sunday.

It shouldn't. But it would be nice if they start winning some games. They only have 3 more non conference games and one is @ Tennesee so they are likely staring at a 6-5 non-conference. Gonna have a ton of work to do in conference to compete for a tournament bid.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:38:48 PM by BM1090 »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:57 PM »
It shouldn't. But it would be nice if they start winning some games. They only have 3 more non conference games and one is @ Tennesee so they are likely staring at a 6-5 non-conference. Gonna have a ton of work to do in conference to compete for a tournament bid.

Sorry, should have used teal. Hope they keep losing. Big Ten looks like the best conference so it will be an uphill battle. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:14 PM »
Our current season is starting remind me of last season.

First game is a convincing defensive win over a solid cupcake (UMBC/Loyola Md)
First loss is a blowout to a B1G team that is thought to be good preaseason but quickly fades (Indiana/Wisconsin)
Early season scare against a cupcake (Presbyterian/Robert Morris)
Solid win over a very good mid-major (Buffalo/Davidson)
Very convincing win over a solid but not great high-major (Kansas State/USC)
Blowout loss to a top 5 team in the holiday tournament (Kansas/Maryland)

Avoid the trainwreck in the last few weeks and I'd take that result!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2019, 07:28:47 AM »
Pretty decent summary of the offensive woes and unpredictability of college hoops this season.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article238038209.html?

Much of it is about UNC struggling when its far-and-away best player doesn't have a big game (sound familiar, Warrior fans?), but it's generally a reasonable overall look at the state of the game IMHO.

Welcome to the Year of the Rock Fight in college basketball, where not only has no dominant team -- or handful of dominant teams -- emerged, but no team seems to have any idea what it’s going to do on any given night. By April, the Final Four may look like a bad poker hand: A 2, a pair of 4s and a 10.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
look like a bad poker hand: A 2, a pair of 4s and a 10.

That's a terrible poker hand. 4 card poker is the worst, and eliminates the possibility of most good poker hands.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
Pretty decent summary of the offensive woes and unpredictability of college hoops this season.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article238038209.html?

Much of it is about UNC struggling when its far-and-away best player doesn't have a big game (sound familiar, Warrior fans?), but it's generally a reasonable overall look at the state of the game IMHO.

Welcome to the Year of the Rock Fight in college basketball, where not only has no dominant team -- or handful of dominant teams -- emerged, but no team seems to have any idea what it’s going to do on any given night. By April, the Final Four may look like a bad poker hand: A 2, a pair of 4s and a 10.

So you're saying there's a chance...
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
Our current season is starting remind me of last season.

First game is a convincing defensive win over a solid cupcake (UMBC/Loyola Md)
First loss is a blowout to a B1G team that is thought to be good preaseason but quickly fades (Indiana/Wisconsin)
Early season scare against a cupcake (Presbyterian/Robert Morris)
Solid win over a very good mid-major (Buffalo/Davidson)
Very convincing win over a solid but not great high-major (Kansas State/USC)
Blowout loss to a top 5 team in the holiday tournament (Kansas/Maryland)

Avoid the trainwreck in the last few weeks and I'd take that result!

Comparing last year's Buffalo and K-State teams to Davidson and USC is rather, um, generous.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »
Comparing last year's Buffalo and K-State teams to Davidson and USC is rather, um, generous.

Davidson and USC might be slightly worse than Buff and K-State, but then throw in two neutral site games rather than two home games and it makes a bit more sense.  Still not a perfect comparison, but I can certainly see where TAMU is coming from.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
KState and Buffalo finished #20 and #22 in Pomeroy last year. Currently USC is #59, Davidson #85.

Kansas finished #17 (after their C was lost for the season), Maryland is currently #7. Indiana finished #52, UW sits at #60.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:37:32 AM by Lennys Tap »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »
KState and Buffalo finished #20 and #22 in Pomeroy last year. Currently USC is #59, Davidson #85.

Kansas finished #17 (after their C was lost for the season), Maryland is currently #7. Indiana finished #52, UW sits at #60.

I might be missing the comparison you're trying to make, but the Purdue team we beat is ranked #5 at Kenpom, better than any win we had last year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »

You can't compare finished to current. Davidson is likely top 3 in the A10 this year, barring injury they'll rise.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »
I might be missing the comparison you're trying to make, but the Purdue team we beat is ranked #5 at Kenpom, better than any win we had last year.

I didn't make the comparisons, TAMU did. I was trying to add some (admittedly imperfect) context.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »
You can't compare finished to current. Davidson is likely top 3 in the A10 this year, barring injury they'll rise.

Maybe they end up #60, maybe #100. Do you think they'll end up #22 (Buffalo)? As I said, last year's final/this year's current is an imperfect comparison. But since TAMU made a comparison, it's the best way I could figure to give his comparisons context.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: December 05, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Maybe they end up #60, maybe #100. Do you think they'll end up #22 (Buffalo)? As I said, last year's final/this year's current is an imperfect comparison. But since TAMU made a comparison, it's the best way I could figure to give his comparisons context.

That's fair wanting to give his comparisons context but if the data isn't comparable right now I'm not sure that's the best way. No idea where they'll end up in Kenyon I think they'll be behind VCU and Dayton but still make the tournament
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: December 05, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »

As someone who spends hours, probably days, every year studying and comparing schedules, you will never find perfect, clear comparisons. It's always fitting round pegs into square holes using triangular wrenches. That's why the old Chiclets post was so perfect:

(X) Non-conference near-miss against inferior opponent (Robert Morris)
(X) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (UW-Madison)
(X) Non-conference loss on big stage convinces board MU not ready for Big East (Maryland)
( ) Unmentionable conference loss
( ) Road Game we weren't supposed to win
( ) Late surge
( ) Top-half Big East Finish
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »

It's not meant to be a perfect comparison or to suggest anything about the quality of last year's team vs this year's team. Just having fun connecting dots.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
It's not meant to be a perfect comparison or to suggest anything about the quality of last year's team vs this year's team. Just having fun connecting dots.

Fair enough.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »
As someone who spends hours, probably days, every year studying and comparing schedules, you will never find perfect, clear comparisons. It's always fitting round pegs into square holes using triangular wrenches. That's why the old Chiclets post was so perfect:

(X) Non-conference near-miss against inferior opponent (Robert Morris)
(X) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (UW-Madison)
(X) Non-conference loss on big stage convinces board MU not ready for Big East (Maryland)
( ) Unmentionable conference loss
( ) Road Game we weren't supposed to win
( ) Late surge
( ) Top-half Big East Finish

Ha I predicted the Maryland beat down, will see how the rest of my predictions go:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34992.msg1175517#msg1175517

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »
Furman up double digits on #14 Auburn. Early second half.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
Ben Howland and Miss St just lost at home to La Tech.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2019, 10:29:20 PM »
Ben Howland and Miss St just lost at home to La Tech.

Wait? The Great Ben Howland? Musta been an imposter!

Furman up double digits on #14 Auburn. Early second half.

Auburn ends up winning in OT -- aided by as bad a call as you'll ever see.

Furman player throws a pass. It's obvious in real time that it's deflected out of bounds by an Auburn player. They decide to take a look at it and, even though the replay clearly shows the deflection, Auburn is awarded the basketball. The announcers couldn't believe it, and neither can I. The Furman coach, when he sees the replay on film, will be double-outraged.

Why even bother using replay if you refuse to pay attention to the replay?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »
Would have been cool to see Furman come away with that one, a year after doing the same to Nova

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
Would have been cool to see Furman come away with that one, a year after doing the same to Nova

Agreed. Furman appeared to be a very well-coached team.

Even if that call hadn't been botched, Furman would have had trouble winning because of time and score when it happened. But still ... remarkably bad. Had that happened at the end of one of our games, Scoop would have had more than one thread dedicated to it -- and for good reason.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2019, 06:39:57 AM »
Agreed. Furman appeared to be a very well-coached team.

Even if that call hadn't been botched, Furman would have had trouble winning because of time and score when it happened. But still ... remarkably bad. Had that happened at the end of one of our games, Scoop would have had more than one thread dedicated to it -- and for good reason.

Some celebrating it.

Others questioning why Wojo didn’t have Deonte Burton in the game.

Maybe some would’ve hand written their posts.

feedback