[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele  (Read 19086 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
I am sure it was discussed, how Sacar went from redshirt to a starter.  This is a good move for him, would have mop up minutes only this year.
 Secondly,  right now they have no guards coming in next year unless it is a grad transfer so it will be Elliott, McEwen, Torrence with Dex.  Room for a grad transfer for sure, a shooter.

Grad transfer shooters don't grow on trees...that's not a very good plan IMO.  Grad transfers are best when there is a missing piece in a role playing spot.  Maybe there will be a Carlino or Katlin out there but a GT shooter has always been an odd piece for long-term program development .

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »
Offhand I cannot think of a redshirt working better for any player as it has for Sacar. Wonder if that was a factor.

Love reading this.  For years I’ve wanted MU to utilize redshirting.  Sacar really developed.  At Wisconsin, didn’t Frank the Tank redshirt.  Or am I thinking of Happ

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
Love reading this.  For years I’ve wanted MU to utilize redshirting.  Sacar really developed.  At Wisconsin, didn’t Frank the Tank redshirt.  Or am I thinking of Happ
Both!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
I don't think Kaminsky redshirted....I recall him playing sparingly as a frosh ....  Happ defintely did.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
Jay Wright at Villanova has had a lot of success with red shirts over the years ( red shirting for various reasons.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:50:19 AM by shoothoops »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »
Obviously SNC was an incredibly small sample size, but he did not look ready to contribute in any significant way. Good for everyone to take the year getting better.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
So is it official?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
So is it official?
Nope, wont be official until the end of the year. He can still suit up at any time.  Highly unlikely, but technically possible.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »
With Ed gone and no timetable on Elliot's return time to burn it?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 07:14:52 AM »

No way. Imagine if we burned Anim's RS early.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:38 AM »

His current role, holding the celebrating bench back from the floor when someone makes a crazy shot, is keeping him plenty busy.  :)
Have some patience, FFS.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2020, 07:28:55 AM »
No way. Imagine if we burned Anim's RS early.

I think this is a bit of a syllogism.

Hausershima aside, it was pretty clear this team was also running out of gas in the 2nd half of the BE season last year. If we don't get Elliot back soon I'm afraid it's going to happen again. Symir is picking up the slack nicely but it certainly wouldn't be bad to have an extra set of legs to keep Koby, Sacar and Brendan a bit fresher.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »
His current role, holding the celebrating bench back from the floor when someone makes a crazy shot, is keeping him plenty busy.  :)

Even better for him to join in making the shots!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 07:45:29 AM »

Hausershima aside, it was pretty clear this team was also running out of gas in the 2nd half of the BE season last year. If we don't get Elliot back soon I'm afraid it's going to happen again. Symir is picking up the slack nicely but it certainly wouldn't be bad to have an extra set of legs to keep Koby, Sacar and Brendan a bit fresher.

Well, they could pull the redshirt any time if Wojo and his assistants start to think the team is getting burned out. To do so, all they'll have to do is play him.

Also, what Akanno wants is paramount. If he and his family already are convinced that a redshirt is best for him, that matters.

We are glad Sacar redshirted. Many of us wish Junior had. It's unnecessary to decide anything now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 07:51:31 AM »

Yeah, no.  And it's Elliott.  The guy has been here for nearly 3 years.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »

I think it's fair to deduce that it would not be a significant enough help to warrant pulling his RS for less than half a season. Run with Symir for now. Is it not a syllogism then to compare this season with last in that regard? The team "running out of gas" could lie more in the tumultuous relationships forming on the team rather than being shorthanded or simply tired from conference play.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 08:11:22 AM »
I dont know that there needs to be a whole lot of analysis here.  We have enough guards to get through games at the appropriate energy level today.  If that changes and Dexter can guard his position/contribute - then you pull it.  We are certainly not there now.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 08:21:11 AM »
Even if Dexter is Big East ready, by the time he knocked off the rust the season would be pretty much over.  Symir has game experience now and it would make a lot more sense to give him more minutes, then to burn Dexter’s redshirt. Now if we learn that Greg won’t be back AND there is another injury, maybe it would be something to consider.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
I am guessing Greg's injury is the dreaded high ankle sprain, which generally means 3-6 weeks.  I think he is 2 weeks into it already, so the earliest he will be back would be next week.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
Tommy Gardiner is on schollie. Those aren’t given lightly. Ed is a 4/5. Sacar and Bailey can play the 2/3 or 3/4. Cain is a 3/4.  MH, Koby and Sy at the 1/2. I see no reason today why Dex should burn his redshirt as the 1/2 is well-covered. Now, if he were 6’7”?

Injuries will change needs, but Greg’s roles are covered with strengths so I don’t see the fit Dex would cover. Ed’s spot is another issue. The safety depth if an injury occurs to our bigs is Bailey and Tommy at the 4/5, whereas Sam and Joey could have flexed big. Heck, we even talked about Joey starting at the 5 this year with Koby off redshirt and Sacar moving back to a 3. Dex doesn’t fill that hole.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2020, 08:43:43 AM »
Let's please not start the discussion of 18-22 year olds running out of gas playing twice a week again.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
Let's please not start the discussion of 18-22 year olds running out of gas playing twice a week again.

Because they are lounging around in the dorms the other 164 hours of the week?
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
Because they are lounging around in the dorms the other 164 hours of the week?

Did I say that? They also have rest days and practices. They aren't going game speed all practice every practice.

The scoop myth of tired legs that only effect Marquette is well... A Scoop myth

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
It isn't a scoop myth.  It is widely accepted that some teams wear down.   IMO, the scoop myth is that once you don the MU uniform of the day, you should be impervious to fatigue, injuries, slumps, freshman mistakes, freshman wall, other good teams trying to win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2020, 12:43:08 AM »
Still no?