[Today at 08:43:00 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele  (Read 19365 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 12:53:29 AM »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 12:59:29 AM »
Still no?

Intriguing...but I’d have to say no. Especially considering how well Sacar has developed under Wojos tutelage.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 01:47:02 AM »
Intriguing...but I’d have to say no. Especially considering how well Sacar has developed under Wojos tutelage.

Unless he thinks one of the walk-ons is a better proposition, he may not have much of a choice. If Markus is out for any extended period of time(I hope not) and Greg is slow to get back to where he was pre-injury, Wojo may be forced to ask Dexter to burn his red shirt, or risk burning out the whole team. I'm guessing if Markus and Greg can't go against DePaul, Wojo will try it with what he's got, and see how it goes. Maybe slow the game down and take his chances. It's risky because these guys have been playing a lot of OT with an already limited bench. They have to be getting worn down.

Markus' and Gregs status is critical right now. Hopefully the miracles of modern medicine can work some wonders on both of them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »
Akanno's redshirt isn't getting burned. If this somehow turned into Markus being out the whole season (no reason to think it would) then we are heading for the NIT or a first round exit. Akanno being active wouldn't change that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:25 AM »
Akanno's redshirt isn't getting burned. If this somehow turned into Markus being out the whole season (no reason to think it would) then we are heading for the NIT or a first round exit. Akanno being active wouldn't change that.

I guess the bigger question is if Elliot isn't coming back - is there any update on his timeline for return?

Without him we're really at an 8-man roster - with two bigs prone to foul trouble. That's pretty thin for March when you're looking at potentially 3 or 4 straight games in the BET and two games in 3 days on an NCAA weekend.

I get at this point you would be asking Akanno to burn a year of eligibility for what would be, at best, spot minutes. But from a program standpoint, if those spot minutes are the marginal difference between one more BET or NCAA win is it worth it? Plus - the trade off is a year of Akanno eligibility 4 years from now. SO many things can and will happen between now and then - he could get recruited over and transfer, he could get hurt, Wojo could get fired, etc etc. It kind of comes down to a discussion of a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 06:20:58 AM »
Was thinking about this during the game.  In 2OT we were down to 6 guys, two of whom were bigs.

Koby
Sacar
Jamal
Symir
Theo
Jayce
Markus injury
Brendan foul out

Koby was playing with four fouls.  If he fouls out, where do we go next?  Is Greg healthy enough to play if needed? (he looked like he was in warmups).  One of the walk-ons?  Two bigs?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 06:32:49 AM »
Two bigs.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »
Was thinking about this during the game.  In 2OT we were down to 6 guys, two of whom were bigs.

Koby
Sacar
Jamal
Symir
Theo
Jayce
Markus injury
Brendan foul out

Koby was playing with four fouls.  If he fouls out, where do we go next?  Is Greg healthy enough to play if needed? (he looked like he was in warmups).  One of the walk-ons?  Two bigs?
I was thinking exact same thing. Real glad we didn’t have to find out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2020, 07:26:41 AM »
I'm think Greg tapes up and gets minutes Saturday.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
Someone remind me again how it works - could Akanno be suited up and ready to be put in if needed but only burns the redshirt if he actually plays - or does he burn the redhirt if he's on an "active roster" (is that even a thing)?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »
Someone remind me again how it works - could Akanno be suited up and ready to be put in if needed but only burns the redshirt if he actually plays - or does he burn the redhirt if he's on an "active roster" (is that even a thing)?

Also curious. I thought he could suit up and do everything except play in the game. I think the badgers burned Reuvers redshirt surprisingly. Obviously, he was suited up and ready to go.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »
It was weird with Greg, he was shown shooting and running in a video Marquette's twitter posted before the game but was on the bench with a boot

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »

He only burns his redshirt if he actually enters a game to play.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »
He only burns his redshirt if he actually enters a game to play.

Yep. He can be dressed.  He can warm up. He can be ready to go.  Heck, he could even be in a shirt and tie and go back to the locker room to get his uniform on.  If he doesn't enter the game his redshirt is neatly tucked away and safe.

Without knowing Markus' status and assuming he can't play, I think the emergency pecking order is 1) Greg running around for a few minutes to give someone a blow, 2) double bigs, 3) Tommy at the 4 sliding Brendan and Cain down for the minutes he's on the court, 4) calling Ed, 5) losing a game, 6) asking Dexter to give up a year of eligibility.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:38:47 AM by jsglow »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
It was weird with Greg, he was shown shooting and running in a video Marquette's twitter posted before the game but was on the bench with a boot

That's not really weird.  He worked it out.  Put on the boot after to help with stability.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »
Yep. He can be dressed.  He can warm up. He can be ready to go.  Heck, he could even be in a shirt and tie and go back to the locker room to get his uniform on.  If he doesn't enter the game his redshirt is neatly tucked away and safe.

Without knowing Markus' status and assuming he can't play, I think the emergency pecking order is 1) Greg running around for a few minutes to give someone a blow, 2) double bigs, 3) Tommy at the 4 sliding Brendan and Cain down for the minutes he's on the court, 4) calling Ed, 5) losing a game, 6) asking Dexter to give up a year of eligibility.

Where does Sam walking in like Bill Murray rank on there?

Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »

There is no redshirt - it’s not a thing, it’s a description of a player who doesn’t play a single second of a game.

So, don’t play a single second all season and you’re a redshirt.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »
They should change the NCAAB rule to more closely align with the NCAAF rule.  I think players are allowed 4 appearances in college football without it counting as a season of eligibility used.  That's a little ridiculous in college football (a third of the season), but I don't see anything wrong with allowing four appearances in a red-shirt year over a 30 game college basketball season.  Use three games against cupcakes and save one for emergencies like last night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
Two bigs.

Yep, and X actually is a team we could have gotten away with it against.

Weird to think that Theo and Jayce were two guys who WEREN'T in foul trouble at the end of a 2OT game!

Gonna play doctor here (which is OK, because my wife is a nurse) ...

If it's not a concussion, and Wojo came right out and said it wasn't, I'm guessing Markus plays Saturday. Maybe with a mask? Maybe, but I'd bet he plays.

You get through that game and you then have 8 days till the next one. By that time, hopefully Elliott is back.

The emergency option: Go bigger, use Gardiner, use walkons, get Mane in uniform quickly.

If both Wojo and Akanno's family want Akanno to sit out the entire season for eligibility and other reasons, you simply don't play him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
Where does Sam walking in like Bill Murray rank on there?

I can hear this gif
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »

4b) Ike suiting up.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2020, 12:01:24 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »

4b) Ike suiting up.

I don't think this is an option.  Wish it was. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2020, 01:18:04 PM »
The only way I burn the Akanno red shirt is if Greg and Markus are both known to be out for another month.   Because then he gets a baptism by fire and 15 mpg.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
Akanno will not be a difference maker. We will not make the NCAA tournament with him, if we cannot do it without him.

feedback