[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele  (Read 19377 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Akanno to Redshirt per Steele
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
Akanno will not be a difference maker. We will not make the NCAA tournament with him, if we cannot do it without him.

Yep, that's it in a Nutshell.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2020, 02:11:41 PM »
The only way I burn the Akanno red shirt is if Greg and Markus are both known to be out for another month.   Because then he gets a baptism by fire and 15 mpg.

If Markus and Greg are out for DePaul, someone has to step in and play. It will probably be Gardiner, with Sacar assuming more of a point guard role at times, like he has done in the past. I don't have enough information on Gardiner or Akanno to know what Wojo is going to do. I do know this next game is just as important if not more so than any game coming up, so anything is possible.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
If Markus and Greg are out for DePaul, someone has to step in and play. It will probably be Gardiner, with Sacar assuming more of a point guard role at times, like he has done in the past. I don't have enough information on Gardiner or Akanno to know what Wojo is going to do. I do know this next game is just as important if not more so than any game coming up, so anything is possible.

Maybe gardiner gets some spot minutes as I believe he was known as a mid major talent but first option would likely be max minutes before Tommy gets a look
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2020, 01:30:47 AM »
Maybe gardiner gets some spot minutes as I believe he was known as a mid major talent but first option would likely be max minutes before Tommy gets a look

They've been running a lot of max minutes anyway.

I know its DePaul but each win in the BE this year is worth its weight in gold. Certainly couldn't hurt to have Akanno ready to play if needed.

I really dont get this fetishism over preserving his year of eligibility. He could be the next Sacar but he just as easily could not. If our hope/expectation is that Wojo's recruiting trajectory continues upwards then he'll be a rotation guy at best in 3 years anyway. If having him available or in gives us a better shot of a W now (and I'm sure his value add is more then Gardiner's) then this should be a no brainer
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »

I know its DePaul but each win in the BE this year is worth its weight in gold. Certainly couldn't hurt to have Akanno ready to play if needed.

I really dont get this fetishism over preserving his year of eligibility. He could be the next Sacar but he just as easily could not. If our hope/expectation is that Wojo's recruiting trajectory continues upwards then he'll be a rotation guy at best in 3 years anyway. If having him available or in gives us a better shot of a W now (and I'm sure his value add is more then Gardiner's) then this should be a no brainer

The whole "if he gives us a better shot" statement is the key. He redshirted this year because he wasn't Big East ready and while he practices he has zero game speed experience and you can't just throw him into that against DePaul and expect him to help the team. Look at Symir Torrence, he is theoretically more talented than Akanno and has been getting plenty of minutes and still has plays that negatively impact the team.....it would be unfair to think Akanno could come in and even do that so what is he really helping? If Greg and Markus are out, go max minutes, we have 8 days until the next game and only 2 games in a 13 day period so they'll be fine for the balance of the season, just get the most out of your best talent and see what happens.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2020, 09:00:16 AM »
Again, does anybody know what Akanno and his family want? If they prefer the redshirt, it's a no-brainer that MU doesn't even think about playing him a second. And given his likely contribution, it wouldn't be very fair to put him in a situation in which we "needed" him to succeed this season.

As for "max minutes" ...

These are finely tuned, 19-23-year-old athletes. There is a 3-minute-long TV timeout every 4 minutes of game action. There are 8 timeouts called by coaches. There are TV replay timeouts most games, and injury timeouts many games.

As Bobby Knight once said, "If these kids are getting tired, they need to go find another sport that doesn't ask them to move around much."

Koby and Sacar were at their very best Wednesday when they had already played max minutes. Those who were tired need to get in better shape.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »

As for "max minutes" ...

These are finely tuned, 19-23-year-old athletes. There is a 3-minute-long TV timeout every 4 minutes of game action. There are 8 timeouts called by coaches. There are TV replay timeouts most games, and injury timeouts many games.

This is something of a scoop myth. That young 20s get tired playing 2 games a week. Scoop always talk about dead legs at the end of the season.

But that's what it is. A myth. I played 28 games a year without the rehab and training staff these guys have. We never got "tired" at the end of the season.

These guys have plenty of rest. Better teams run 8 man rotations all the time. Quite a few lean heavy into 7.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »

In the 2 times I saw Akanno he probably was much better than Sacar as a frosh.  He has a much quicker shot and looks physically stronger than Anim at the same time.  Wojo thinks he can be a star, not sure about that nor the progression of his future.  Sacar has really improved his shot and his game.  If I would have told anybody before the season he could get 28 in a game most people probably would think I am nuts.  Sacar is playing like a senior should play during his 5th season
at MU, good for him and the program.  If they do not get Mane next year, I can see Akanno possibly starting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
This is something of a scoop myth. That young 20s get tired playing 2 games a week. Scoop always talk about dead legs at the end of the season.

But that's what it is. A myth. I played 28 games a year without the rehab and training staff these guys have. We never got "tired" at the end of the season.

These guys have plenty of rest. Better teams run 8 man rotations all the time. Quite a few lean heavy into 7.

It isn't a scoop myth.   Izzo talked about it last year with Cassius.   K talked about it last year with his all frosh team.   I will take the word of those two over you.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
If they do not get Mane next year, I can see Akanno possibly starting.

Dex would be one of, if not the best on-ball defender they have on this year's team. That alone will get him minutes next year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
It isn't a scoop myth.   Izzo talked about it last year with Cassius.   K talked about it last year with his all frosh team.   I will take the word of those two over you.

You still believe Markus took an elbow to the face against butler. In spite of video evidence showing otherwise. I'm not trying to change your mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »
I have watched that replay 20 times.   20 times I have seen Baddly drop his right arm and Markus's head recoil.    I am willing to die on this hill.      And I am willing to take Izzo and K's words over yours.     

I would argue that it is a scoop myth that MU should never be affected by injuries and fatigue like other teams. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:30:39 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »

Was that Esports?
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »
Was that Esports?

+1.  Not to mention, the physical tolls of playing high school basketball vs. playing Big East basketball.  Yeah, probably pretty comparable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
Dex would be one of, if not the best on-ball defender they have on this year's team. That alone will get him minutes next year.
Questionable, because freshmen tend to foul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

I'll see your Izzo and K, and raise you one Bobby - ha!

Seriously, tower, I do believe a player's body can get worn out by the battles of a long season. I believe that happened to Markus last season, and probably to Joey as well. Maybe even to Sam, as he had dealt with the hip problem the previous year.

However, I believe Markus would have gotten fatigued at the end of the season even if he had averaged "only" 31.5 mpg rather than 33.6 mpg. It's a long season, he gets clobbered pretty much every time he drives, he had primary ballhander responsibilities as well as primary shooting, etc. I seriously doubt whether shaving 1-3 mpg off his total would have made him any less fatigued in, say, Game #29.

Either Sacar is an otherworldly stud who is in better condition than 99.9% of the players in college basketball, or the frequent long breaks Wednesday helped him get enough rest during the game to excel in the 2 OTs even though he had already played 40+ minutes.

Those TV timeouts last 3 minutes each, they are brought chairs to sit on and liquids to drink, they can recharge their batteries. I really don't think it's much of a factor in most games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »

Ok boomer.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »

I have not watched much of Dex. However, I do know the staff offered him after watching him be a thorn in Mannion's side. Honestly, if they also got Mane (who wants to be DPOY) and your projections are right, that level of defense is going to be a lot of fun to watch when combined with Brendan and Koby. Love the griminess on defense that wojo is cultivating.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
I have not watched much of Dex. However, I do know the staff offered him after watching him be a thorn in Mannion's side. Honestly, if they also got Mane (who wants to be DPOY) and your projections are right, that level of defense is going to be a lot of fun to watch when combined with Brendan and Koby. Love the griminess on defense that wojo is cultivating.

That's something people never would've said in 2016, 2017, 2018
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »

Yep, Defense travels well.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback