collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you listening to? Podcasts  (Read 11454 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: What are you listening to? Podcasts
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
Thanks for the Friendly Fire recommendation Floyd....its really good!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
Chapo Trap House
Citations Needed
TrueAnon
WTF
Comedy Bang Bang
The Underculture
Office Hours with Tim Heidecker

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 06:10:03 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation of Revisionist History. The podcasts on the Jesuits was outstanding. Especially when talking about casuistry. Something I need to do more of.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 06:23:59 AM »
For those that are fans of increasing the listening speed and are on iOS you should check out Overcast.  It has the same speed up options as the others out there but also has a "smart speed" feature which will dynamically go like +/- 0.5 speed depending on how fast the speaker is talking.  So as an example if you normally listen to 1.5 speed it may go down closer to 1.0 speed when there is a conversation going on but then up to 2.0 speed when there are long pauses between words. 

It sounds more obtrusive than it really is, plus it keeps track of how much extra time it has saved you over just doing 1.5x alone.  I think I've been using it for almost 3 years and the smart speed feature has allowed me to listen to 170 hours of extra content over a flat speed increase.  Kind of crazy to think about!

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 06:30:51 AM »
Podcasts are a thing I don't get.  (I know.... Take this to the other thread.). Who has time to listen to all these podcasts.? 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:50:24 AM by SERocks »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 06:58:49 AM »
Podcasts are a great me thing I don't get.  (I know.... Take this to the other thread.). Who has time to listen to all these podcasts.?

Me.  Every day I drive to and from work. Depending on traffic, that’s roughly 45-75 minutes each day. Add in lunch and regular errands, and I’m probably listening to podcasts in the car about 6-8 hours in a normal week.  And if I drive for work - a relatively common occurrence, that increases significantly.  If I’m alone in the car, I’m almost always listening to a podcast...instead of the radio. And on weekends I often hike for a couple hours each day. It adds up.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »
For those that are fans of increasing the listening speed and are on iOS you should check out Overcast.  It has the same speed up options as the others out there but also has a "smart speed" feature which will dynamically go like +/- 0.5 speed depending on how fast the speaker is talking.  So as an example if you normally listen to 1.5 speed it may go down closer to 1.0 speed when there is a conversation going on but then up to 2.0 speed when there are long pauses between words. 

It sounds more obtrusive than it really is, plus it keeps track of how much extra time it has saved you over just doing 1.5x alone.  I think I've been using it for almost 3 years and the smart speed feature has allowed me to listen to 170 hours of extra content over a flat speed increase.  Kind of crazy to think about!

Same for me--around 3 years.  And I just like the formatting generally

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation of Revisionist History. The podcasts on the Jesuits was outstanding. Especially when talking about casuistry. Something I need to do more of.

Those were enjoyable.  \

Also, "Jesuitical" is a kind of fun and informal podcast hosted by 20-somethings (non priests) who work at America magazine/for the Jesuits. 

And Fr. James Martin does a daily Examen podcast that is 15 to 20 minutes long.  A nice way to end or begin the day.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
Me.  Every day I drive to and from work. Depending on traffic, that’s roughly 45-75 minutes each day. Add in lunch and regular errands, and I’m probably listening to podcasts in the car about 6-8 hours in a normal week.  And if I drive for work - a relatively common occurrence, that increases significantly.  If I’m alone in the car, I’m almost always listening to a podcast...instead of the radio. And on weekends I often hike for a couple hours each day. It adds up.

Ah yes.  My drive to work is 5 mins.  I don't spend a lot of time in the car and when I do I usually listen to music.  Years ago I used to listen to talk shows, but it is hard to work and listen so for me the medium of a podcast just does not work. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
I listen at my desk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
Podcasts are a thing I don't get.  (I know.... Take this to the other thread.). Who has time to listen to all these podcasts.?

Driving to work, preparing dinner, grocery shopping, walking the dog, honestly if I'm not listening to pods when I'm doing mundane activities, it feels like time wasted.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
For probably two years, pretty much every time I’ve googled “best fiction podcasts” I’ve seen Welcome to Night Vale on the list. The description never really appealed to me, so I never listened. I went through the process again yesterday in advance of a drive to Michigan and finally decided, “what the hell.”

Wow. That’s a very unique, strange podcast. I liked it. It’s funny. Strange. I listened to the trailer and it starts by saying, “want to jump into Night Vale but a little freaked out by the fact that we have over 100 episodes...” which was actually one of the things that had been holding me back. Short answer, it doesn’t matter. It’s not really exactly sequential. Did I mention it’s strange?

I’m not going to just binge 200 episodes, but I’ll definitely add it to the rotation. At least until I get tired of it. I listened to 20 episodes over the eight hours of driving.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
As far as fiction podcasts, I greatly enjoyed the two seasons of the Wolverine podcast (The Long Night and The Lost Trail). If you're into the survival horror genre, The White Vault is also worth a listen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »
I've taken a deep dive into the Pushkin Industries podcasts. That's Malcolm gladwells company (revisionist history podcast). Against the rules (by moneyball author Michael Lewis), cautionary tales, solvable, the happiness lab. All good

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
I spend between 2 and 3 hours in the car everyday (hopefully temporarily, I think we will be moving closer to my work in 2020), so podcasts are literally my life. Here's my list:

30 for 30
99% Invisible
Business Wars
Armchair Expert
Economist Editor's Picks
Fresh Air
FT News Briefing
History Extra
In Our Time
ESPN Milwaukee Marquette Basketball
Radiolab
History of English
The Indicator
Tides of History
Real Chilly
Scrambled Eggs

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
Podcasts (at least for now) allow the funniest people on earth an opportunity to create and distribute the best content. Way more than stand up and way more than any other form of traditional media. Why watch a show or movie that is stripped of its soul when you can get the source unfiltered?

As for politics, I need more than just basic talking points. I think the shows listed below have the most interesting guests and discussions.

Comedy
History Hyenas
The Tim Dillon Show (formerly Tim Dillon is Going to Hell)
Kill Tony
Legion of Skanks
2 Bears 1 Cave
Cum Town
Jeremiah Wonders
Bertcasts's Podcast
Fitzdog Radio

Politics
Part of the Problem
Your Welcome
The Fifth Column
The Tom Woods Show
The Scott Horton Show
The Reason Roundtable

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 08:21:32 PM »
All the news pods I listen to are on hiatus for the holidays so I started some narrative fiction podcasts. Limetown, Passenger List, & The Bright Sessions so far. All good, though hoping they don't all end on cliffhangers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
Zach Lowe’s most recent guest on his podcast “The Lowe Post” was Steven Adams. Very, very entertaining. The New Zealand accent and just the different phrases he uses alone make listening to him entertaining. He had some pretty funny stories on top of it and also has an interesting upbringing.

I’d definitely recommend giving it a listen if you have 45 minutes to kill.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »
Pretty great Anonymous Eagle podcast out today with Charlie Pierce- reminiscing about the 70's teams (he is class of '75) and how they were a reflection of the student body.   Interesting takes on Crean and the course of the program since the halcyon days.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
The MU athletics podcast with Nic James that came out today was really good.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 08:43:44 PM »
THEBULWARK.   Old fashion Republicans

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
Just binged the Wind of Change podcast. It's about a story that comes out of Langley saying the CIA wrote the Scorpions ballad Wind of Change, which reached #1 and is the 13th biggest single in world history, to bring about the end of Communism and the Cold War. Starts with the story and continues to talk about how the CIA used different forms of music and entertainment to work influence operations and culminates with the host interviewing Klaus Meine, lead singer of the Scorpions, who claims he wrote the song after a music festival in Moscow right before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Really good and interesting pod that raises questions about espionage, conspiracy theories, and the truth behind it all.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
Is everything now a conspiracy?  Perhaps.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »
The Sporkful
Against the Rules

A buddy recommended The Skeptics Guide (SGU), haven’t listened yet.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2020, 10:24:53 PM »
Bastard Radio w/ Louis J Gomez, Nick Mullen and Tim Dillon. Three of the best.

feedback