[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give me a break Joey  (Read 45951 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Give me a break Joey
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
No. This is a false narrative people keep reading/believing. He decided during the first semester that he wanted to transfer. His decision, during the semester, not before. So the fact that he didn't transfer until the end of the semester, vs. dropping classes and not advancing his education, is not something that should be praised.. it's like, "duhhhh,... when he decided to not continue playing at that school, he finished up the classes he was already mid-way through and then jetted... " big effin deal.

Sit the year in residence, you turd.
wondering if he still practiced with OSU the whole semester. Personally, I hope the waiver is granted and Bucky proceeds to lose every game

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
Ditto.

The day when athlete/students no longer have to sit out a year after transferring will come. And college basketball and football will survive, just as they survived all the other things over the last half-century or more that many thought would spell certain doom.

EDIT: fixed typo.

Yes, it will survive just like CART and Indy Car survived for a time, but to what extent.  Your scenario will lead to mass chaos and it will “survive”, but teams will be raided by bigger programs, etc.  Is that what you want?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »
Yes, it will survive just like CART and Indy Car survived for a time, but to what extent.  Your scenario will lead to mass chaos and it will “survive”, but teams will be raided by bigger programs, etc.  Is that what you want?

Wow, what a comp.  Nice pull.  And what a disaster that was.  To think there was a point where Indy car was huge and guys like Foyt, Unser(s), Andretti(s), Danny Sullivan and more were household names. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »

Dopey, as usual.

What I want is for athletes to have the same freedom of movement that all other students do.

There have been so many "if this happens, it will be the death of college sports" fake worries, and this is just another one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
Wow, what a comp.  Nice pull.  And what a disaster that was.  To think there was a point where Indy car was huge and guys like Foyt, Unser(s), Andretti(s), Danny Sullivan and more were household names. 

It's a terrible comp for a number of reasons.  CART and IRL was about a power struggle over who should run open wheel racing in the United States, which was already struggling with the rise of NASCAR from a regional to a national sport at the time. 

Regardless, I'm not sure how that how that has anything to do with college basketball transfers not sitting out a season but whatever...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »

As a grad student at IU we did some work for the Indy motor speedway.  It was right before the split, so we got to be in on some of the craziness leading up to it.   

One of many examples of stupid ideas taking a sport backward.  The amount of damage done was spectacular...but they “survived” for a time.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
Stupidest break of all-time!! IRL was never going to lose that one!, never ever.  Wish i could have placed a bet on that one.  They had the Indy 500, game over.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
Stupidest break of all-time!! IRL was never going to lose that one!, never ever.  Wish i could have placed a bet on that one.  They had the Indy 500, game over.
Maybe IRL didn't lose, but I don't think anyone was a winner in that fight (except maybe NASCAR).

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2019, 12:16:07 PM »
Dopey, as usual.

What I want is for athletes to have the same freedom of movement that all other students do.

There have been so many "if this happens, it will be the death of college sports" fake worries, and this is just another one.

You can see the potential issues that could arise in this situation, though. If there was no transfer penalty Power 6 schools could use mid-majors like AAA affiliates to scoop up rising talent. The Kentuckys and Michigan States of the world would be able to plug that last roster spot with a high quality veteran player each year. Top teams could evolve into college All Star teams, luring away the best players on good but not great teams.  We could see Hauser-gate scenarios every year.

Now, I know those scenarios aren't highly like to happen, but it's possible. Personally, I think every player should get one mulligan. Things change when you get to campus, coaching staffs get re-shuffled, teams don't gel as expected, etc. Give kids one chance to re-open their recruitment (while requiring them to finish the current academic period), and let them move on to greener pastures.

That could create more headaches for coaches that need to fill roster spots, but it gives more flexibility to the athletes. The kids deserve a chance to change their mind, and the coaches get paid enough to deal with a little additional recruiting work.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2019, 12:21:53 PM »

They do have the same freedom of movement that all other students do, PLUS they can be on scholarship right away if they switch to a new school. They are very blessed.

All other students - can transfer and be a student immediately elsewhere.
BBall student-athletes - can transfer and be a student immediately elsewhere.

Very fair, and protects the student-athletes by giving them a year to get acclimated before formal competition. #StudentFirst #ProtectOurYouth
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
Maybe IRL didn't lose, but I don't think anyone was a winner in that fight (except maybe NASCAR).

1. Tony George (of the Hulman family who owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) was right to be concerned about the future of open wheel racing.  Drivers like Tony Stewart, who was an Indiana native and wanted to be an open wheel racer at the time, couldn't latch on to a CART team because they were focusing more on brining in drivers who couldn't make it in Formula 1.

2.  He also had a right to be concerned about his family's major asset, which was getting squeezed financially.  This is why he brought NASCAR to the track a couple years earlier, why he developed a championship level golf course around the track, etc.

3.  Going nuclear with the CART split was a poor way of managing 1 and 2.  You are correct that it benefitted NASCAR the most, but it also helped his family in the long run.  It did kill open wheel racing for a generation, and really harmed the reputation of the Indy 500.

4.  This still has nothing to do with college basketball players not sitting out a year when transferring.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:31:00 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:10 PM »
Personally, I think every player should get one mulligan. Things change when you get to campus, coaching staffs get re-shuffled, teams don't gel as expected, etc. Give kids one chance to re-open their recruitment (while requiring them to finish the current academic period), and let them move on to greener pastures.

That could create more headaches for coaches that need to fill roster spots, but it gives more flexibility to the athletes. The kids deserve a chance to change their mind, and the coaches get paid enough to deal with a little additional recruiting work.

Reasonable compromise. A start. I respect this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »
They do have the same freedom of movement that all other students do, PLUS they can be on scholarship right away if they switch to a new school. They are very blessed.

All other students - can transfer and be a student immediately elsewhere.
BBall student-athletes - can transfer and be a student immediately elsewhere.

Very fair, and protects the student-athletes by giving them a year to get acclimated before formal competition. #StudentFirst #ProtectOurYouth

The Marquette Tribune editor has a full scholarship. If she or he wants to leave to be the editor at the Georgetown Hoya, she or he can, and she or he can get a scholarship to do it, and she or he can be the editor the very next school year. There is no redshirt year.

Nor is there a redshirt year for the drama student, the classical violinist or the brilliant science student.

The athlete should have the exact same freedom of movement. StudentFirst, indeed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
Dopey, as usual.

That’s so weird.  You mean when a basketball player transfers to a new school they aren’t allowed to take classes at the new school like other students can?  Since you are comparing to freedom of movement, can provide a source that shows they cannot go to another school just like other students, go to class just like other students.  What is this lack of freedom of movement that they cannot do that regular college students can do?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
That’s so weird.  You mean when a basketball player transfers to a new school they aren’t allowed to take classes at the new school like other students can?  Since you are comparing to freedom of movement, can provide a source that shows they cannot go to another school just like other students, go to class just like other students.  What is this lack of freedom of movement that they cannot do that regular college students can do?

Don't be obtuse. See my above response to BJ.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
The Marquette Tribune editor has a full scholarship. If she or he wants to leave to be the editor at the Georgetown Hoya, she or he can, and she or he can get a scholarship to do it, and she or he can be the editor the very next school year. There is no redshirt year.

Nor is there a redshirt year for the drama student, the classical violinist or the brilliant science student.

The athlete should have the exact same freedom of movement. StudentFirst, indeed.

Lol.  So you are saying the student, be it a basketball player, violinist, drama student or Tribune editor can all transfer to different schools, have complete freedom of movement and be students at new schools right away including their scholarship from day 1.  Got it.  Glad that canard was laid to rest and with your help, too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Lol.  So you are saying the student, be it a basketball player, violinist, drama student or Tribune editor can all transfer to different schools, have complete freedom of movement and be students at new schools right away including their scholarship from day 1.  Got it.  Glad that canard was laid to rest and with your help, too.

Are you claiming the Marquette Tribune editor couldn't transfer to Georgetown and receive a full scholarship for being the editor of The Hoya the first year after the transfer?

Just because you don't like a fact, just because you wish the fact weren't a fact, it doesn't mean that the fact isn't a fact.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
Are you claiming the Marquette Tribune editor couldn't transfer to Georgetown and receive a full scholarship for being the editor of The Hoya the first year after the transfer?

Just because you don't like a fact, just because you wish the fact weren't a fact, it doesn't mean that the fact isn't a fact.

You want freedom of movement, and players not having to sit out when they transfer?? This will be great...a kid can play for Dayton on Sunday, decides he doesn't like it there anymore, decide to transfer to Kentucky and play for them Saturday. Yeah, that will be great!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »

You also need to include that the student can be editor of the paper right away. The student doesn’t need to sit out a year from the paper.

Since even in the year the basketball player sits out, they are still on scholarship. Everyone else gets what you mean.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2019, 10:05:31 PM »

You originally said freedom of movement like other students.

Well, you were wrong.  Student athletes can move to other schools just like any other students, go to classes, be on scholarship, etc, all on day one at their new school.  There is no freedom of movement restriction.  You made the wrong claim.  Sorry about those facts.  Now you want to argue something else.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »
You originally said freedom of movement like other students.

Well, you were wrong.  Student athletes can move to other schools just like any other students, go to classes, be on scholarship, etc, all on day one at their new school.  There is no freedom of movement restriction.  You made the wrong claim.  Sorry about those facts.  Now you want to argue something else.

Freedom of movement while remaining on full scholarship and not having to sit out a year of active participation in their chosen activity.

That's obviously what I was talking about. But for the denser folk who like to argue for the sake of arguing, I hope that clarifies it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
Freedom of movement while remaining on full scholarship and not having to sit out a year of active participation in their chosen activity.

That's obviously what I was talking about. But for the denser folk who like to argue for the sake of arguing, I hope that clarifies it.

They are allowed to practice the first year which requires active participation last I checked.  They can attend home games, be in the locker room, etc...work hard, sweat, game plan, and help their team win.

No freedom of movement restrictions.  Thanks

muguru

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:20 PM »

Here's an idea...how about these young adults be punished for making a bad decision?? Isn't that what happens when you're a kid?? or actually anytime in life?? There are consequences for making bad decisions. In this instance the "punishment" is having to sit out a year after you transfer. That seems hardly harsh at all. You aren't going to jail, or paying a fine, or anything else that could could result from making a bad decision.

I mean keep in mind, when kids do transfer, it's not like they are losing a year of eligibility. They just have to sit out a year. I don't get why you are seemingly so against the lessons this could teach them about life. First of all, they shouldn't be "quitting" anyway. Isn't that what you were calling the Hauser's when they decided to transfer?? I know for a fact you were, I remember. You wished them ill will. You don't mind one bit that they have to sit out a year. those are the rules. How can you be so PO'd about them transferring, or as you put it "quitting", yet want players to be able to "quit" anytime they want, and not be punished for it??

That's extremely hypocritical, isn't it??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2019, 10:39:36 PM »
They are allowed to practice the first year which requires active participation last I checked.  They can attend home games, be in the locker room, etc...work hard, sweat, game plan, and help their team win.

No freedom of movement restrictions.  Thanks

Seek mental help, hoopy.

Here's an idea...how about these young adults be punished for making a bad decision??

So that's what it's about for you? Punishment? Why not just punch them in the face?

Here's an idea...why don't you stop worrying about something that doesn't affect you one iota?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2019, 11:23:34 PM »
What a wonderfully dumb idea.  Let schools like MU, and others develop players, and if they are good enough let the cream of the crop poach them their junior and senior years like a minor league system.  Sounds awesome.  Terrific.  What could go wrong?  How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the player pillaging going on?  Terrific idea.  Amazing....brilliant.

The rich getting richer again.  Oh, and couple this with NIL, so the bidding gets into it so the rich schools with lots of businesses and alumni businesses can load up to buy players that were developed....fantastic.  This sounds like it would be great for college basketball.  I’m sure a ridiculous comparison to free agency with limited teams and salary caps is coming any second now. 

feedback