[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give me a break Joey  (Read 46122 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Give me a break Joey
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »
How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the player pillaging going on?

I'm not against making transfers sit but the answer to this question is zero. Fans haven't been interested at low majors and most mid-majors for years yet only one school has dropped from D1 basketball this decade...and at least a dozen have moved up to D1 basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2019, 05:46:23 AM »
Seek mental help, hoopy.

So that's what it's about for you? Punishment? Why not just punch them in the face?

Here's an idea...why don't you stop worrying about something that doesn't affect you one iota?

Why don't you stop worrying about it...it doesn't affect you one iota either. I have never advocated for punching anyone in the face. But of course you being a journalist, you spin things to fit a false narrative, and to cater to whatever agenda it is you have. Lot of that going on in this country today.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2019, 06:06:39 AM »
A Modest Proposal:

Players can transfer and be immediately eligible if coaches can punch them in the face
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2019, 06:14:08 AM »
Here's an idea...why don't you stop worrying about something that doesn't affect you one iota?

That’s going to eliminate about 99.99% of Scoop. The vast majority of things here don’t affect any of us one iota.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2019, 07:07:55 AM »
A Modest Proposal:

Players can transfer and be immediately eligible if coaches can punch them in the face

Like I said, this will be great for guys like you that want it...they can play for Dayton on Sunday, be fed up, transfer to Kentucky and play for them on Saturday. It will be great! Let's goooooooo!

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »
Like I said, this will be great for guys like you that want it...they can play for Dayton on Sunday, be fed up, transfer to Kentucky and play for them on Saturday. It will be great! Let's goooooooo!

Yes, that’s what we want, in-season transfers.  Has anyone said that?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2019, 07:55:52 AM »
Can we move this to the Superbar?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2019, 08:23:02 AM »
Can we move this to the Superbar?

Behind the Bar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
What a wonderfully dumb idea.  Let schools like MU, and others develop players, and if they are good enough let the cream of the crop poach them their junior and senior years like a minor league system.  Sounds awesome.  Terrific.  What could go wrong?  How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the player pillaging going on?  Terrific idea.  Amazing....brilliant.

The rich getting richer again.  Oh, and couple this with NIL, so the bidding gets into it so the rich schools with lots of businesses and alumni businesses can load up to buy players that were developed....fantastic.  This sounds like it would be great for college basketball. I’m sure a ridiculous comparison to free agency with limited teams and salary caps is coming any second now.

Nope. Just a "ridiculous comparison" to all of the other things that Chicken Little Liars claimed would ruin or kill big-time, major-revenue college sports over the decades. We could start with Title IX and then go from there.

What's far more likely to hurt a non-blueblood program, of course, is a good coach up and bolting to a blueblood or near-blueblood program. This happens constantly despite a "contract" with a meaningless buyout clause.

What a wonderfully dumb idea. Let schools like MU, and others, find and hire promising coaches, and if they are good enough let the cream of the crop poach them, leaving the school's program in tatters. Sounds awesome. Terrific. What could go wrong? How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the coach pillaging going on? Terrific idea. Amazing....brilliant.

The rich getting richer again. Oh, and couple this with the NCAA not giving a rat's rear about major academic fraud so blueblood coaches are empowered even more, and the bidding to poach coaches from non-blueblood programs gets into it so the rich schools with lots of businesses and alumni businesses can load up to buy coaches that were developed....fantastic.  This sounds like it would be great for college basketball.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
Nope. Just a "ridiculous comparison" to all of the other things that Chicken Little Liars claimed would ruin or kill big-time, major-revenue college sports over the decades. We could start with Title IX and then go from there.

What's far more likely to hurt a non-blueblood program, of course, is a good coach up and bolting to a blueblood or near-blueblood program. This happens constantly despite a "contract" with a meaningless buyout clause.

What a wonderfully dumb idea. Let schools like MU, and others, find and hire promising coaches, and if they are good enough let the cream of the crop poach them, leaving the school's program in tatters. Sounds awesome. Terrific. What could go wrong? How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the coach pillaging going on? Terrific idea. Amazing....brilliant.

The rich getting richer again. Oh, and couple this with the NCAA not giving a rat's rear about major academic fraud so blueblood coaches are empowered even more, and the bidding to poach coaches from non-blueblood programs gets into it so the rich schools with lots of businesses and alumni businesses can load up to buy coaches that were developed....fantastic.  This sounds like it would be great for college basketball.

You continue to push academics as if the NCAA has a say.  They are an athletic association.  When does that sink into your head?

One coach can be replaced, it happens all the time.  Losing 2, 3, 4 talented players on a roster yearly growing into their peak performance of maturity and having to replace them with lesser talented players is the issue.

There is a reason the rule is in place, because it makes sense.  Thankfully.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »

Based on the arguments of some, they must assume rosters are going to be unlimited. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2019, 11:00:24 AM »
Who would be willing to agree to remove all restrictions on transfers in exchange for a blanket prohibition on compensation (which would include an actual, zero-tolerance crackdown on the dark money as well)?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2019, 12:28:07 PM »
Here's an idea...how about these young adults be punished for making a bad decision??
Hello ScoopTakes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
Seek mental help, hoopy.

So that's what it's about for you? Punishment? Why not just punch them in the face?

These people are displaying very powerful Sadistic Bootlicker energy. Extremely creepy!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
You continue to push academics as if the NCAA has a say.  They are an athletic association.  When does that sink into your head?

One coach can be replaced, it happens all the time.  Losing 2, 3, 4 talented players on a roster yearly growing into their peak performance of maturity and having to replace them with lesser talented players is the issue.

There is a reason the rule is in place, because it makes sense.  Thankfully.

Thanks for going on the record as saying that every rule that is in place "makes sense."

It is very good to know that you now love the grad-transfer rule; the NBA's rule that lets teams advance the ball when they call late timeouts; and many other rules that you have railed against but you now obviously love because they are "in place."

Fairly soon, you will love the coming rule that will let athletes profit off their likenesses, something that 66% of Americans support.

Who knew you were so agreeable, hoopy? If it's a rule, and it's in place, it makes sense. Thankfully. Got it!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
Hello ScoopTakes

Hey tool, you never made a bad decision when you were younger?? And were never punished for it, by the law, your parents, etc?? You drink and drive and get caught you get punished, right?? That's a bad decision.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
Hey tool, you never made a bad decision when you were younger?? And were never punished for it, by the law, your parents, etc?? You drink and drive and get caught you get punished, right?? That's a bad decision.

Initially choosing a college and transferring to a different one isn’t a “bad decision” that should be punished. Absurd.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »
Hey, at least guru is being honest in his way.

Being forced to sit out a year as "punishment for a bad decision" -- that's how he really feels. He really thinks transferring should be a "punishable offense."

Those who laud the sit-out-a-year rule as a "favor" to the the athlete, that smacks as something disingenuous.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »
I'm not against making transfers sit but the answer to this question is zero. Fans haven't been interested at low majors and most mid-majors for years yet only one school has dropped from D1 basketball this decade...and at least a dozen have moved up to D1 basketball.

You will start to impact more than the mid majors.  You will start to impact the high majors as well.  Why not let Xavier, MU, Etc find the gems, coach them up rather than take a chance on high school seniors?  Throw in the payment aspect, the deep pockets will just buy talent.

This isn’t hard. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
Throw in the payment aspect, the deep pockets will just buy talent.

You are literally describing what is already happening.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
You will start to impact more than the mid majors.  You will start to impact the high majors as well.  Why not let Xavier, MU, Etc find the gems, coach them up rather than take a chance on high school seniors?  Throw in the payment aspect, the deep pockets will just buy talent.

This isn’t hard.

1. I was responding to this:

How many schools will say what’s the point as fans are no longer interested in those schools from the player pillaging going on?

So unless your argument is that high majors are going to give up D1 basketball over this, your response isn't relevant to the point I was making.

2. The blue bloods and almost blue bloods can already do this to other high majors with the grad transfer rule. Yet there's only about 1 or 2 grad transfers a year that go from a lesser high major to one of the top programs. Most transfer down or laterally.  So even if your top player did get poached, you can go out and replace him.

3. I think the the payment aspect can be regulated properly. We found a way to keep boosters from giving recruits bogus 6 figure internships, I'm sure we can find a way to regulate this as well. Like you I'm a believer in the NCAA.

4. Deep pockets already buy the talent, yet only one school has dropped from D1 in the last decade with over a dozen more rising up to join D1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
You're right!  We must PUNISH anyone that DARES transfer between colleges!  And we should treat them like drunk drivers because their situations are VERY similar--put them on trial, jail them, fine them, and take away their privileges!  It's the only logical answer!

And if someone miscreant wants to move houses, they NEED to be punished for their bad decisions too!

Don't even get me started on HERETICS that want to change jobs.  Suffice it to say, the Salem witches had it EASY in comparison to how they should be PUNISHED!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2019, 05:52:11 PM »

Actually, most think that that should be a special rule applicable to Dayton transfers only.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
You're right!  We must PUNISH anyone that DARES transfer between colleges!  And we should treat them like drunk drivers because their situations are VERY similar--put them on trial, jail them, fine them, and take away their privileges!  It's the only logical answer!

And if someone miscreant wants to move houses, they NEED to be punished for their bad decisions too!

Don't even get me started on HERETICS that want to change jobs.  Suffice it to say, the Salem witches had it EASY in comparison to how they should be PUNISHED!

Yeah you're right, that's the way the world is now...whatever people want, we'll just give it to them "here ya go...you get a car! You get a car! You get a car!" So you don't think that when they get out of college, they will never have any BIG decisions to make?? Who to marry, what job to take, how much house can I afford?? You make a bad decision with one of those things, guess what?? there's going to be consequences in some way, shape or form. Are these little kids, or are they young ADULTS??

Learning that, if you make a mistake(sine you don't seemingly like the word bad decision, even though that's what it is), that's okay(we all make them), but..most of the time there's consequences for those mistakes. In this case, you sit out a year. I know you're one of those "let's give everyone a handout" type of people, but guess what?? They are still getting the same scholarship, housing, etc no matter where they transfer too. So they sit out a year?? Maybe by sitting out a year it helps them get acclimated to their new surroundings, so they are truly happy this time and don't want to transfer again. Nah, that can't be.

So, when you are a little kid(which you are implying they are) and you're trying to make a decision on which school you want to attend and continue your athletic career, perhaps, you should make 100% certain(along with your parents), that you are truly making the right choice. Do you like the way the program is run?? Will you get the playing time you desire(if you earn it)?? What about the coaches?? Do you like them?? And most importantly which is so lost on most of these SA's now days, is...do you like the SCHOOL, the city, the academics, the girls etc. Because after all, you SHOULD be committing to the University, NOT the Coach. If he leaves, will you still be happy there?? That to me should be the most important thing that SA's consider above all else. Not enough do. I think that's wrong.

You make a commitment, you stick with it..isn't that what we are taught growing up?? If you marry someone, and you aren't truly happy, are you going to just leave right away, after all you have been through, or are you first going to see if you can try to make it work somehow, and then after that, if all else fails, you can move on.

I know this much, my dad point blank told me growing up, if I played sports at the college level and made a commitment to that school, that was were i was staying. Period. None of this transferring BS. I made a commitment, I stick with it. He wasn't going to hear any of that "but I don't get to play enough etc etc" nonsense.

Much, much, different world we live in now. Sadly enough, a vast majority of society just shrugs their shoulders over things now and just says "oh well, that's the way it is". No one is held responsible anymore. It's sad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
1. I was responding to this:

So unless your argument is that high majors are going to give up D1 basketball over this, your response isn't relevant to the point I was making.

2. The blue bloods and almost blue bloods can already do this to other high majors with the grad transfer rule. Yet there's only about 1 or 2 grad transfers a year that go from a lesser high major to one of the top programs. Most transfer down or laterally.  So even if your top player did get poached, you can go out and replace him.

3. I think the the payment aspect can be regulated properly. We found a way to keep boosters from giving recruits bogus 6 figure internships, I'm sure we can find a way to regulate this as well. Like you I'm a believer in the NCAA.

4. Deep pockets already buy the talent, yet only one school has dropped from D1 in the last decade with over a dozen more rising up to join D1.

Superb work here, TAMU.

We had many misinformed alarmists talking about the horrors of the grad-transfer rule. When the facts came out, however, we learned that the rule actually has BENEFITED most of the schools that the alarmists had contended were negatively affected by it.

College sports not only would survive but thrive if transfers didn't have to sit out a year. It would be no more of a rich-get-richer situation than we have now, and it wouldn't be the kids who were getting "punished."

That, of course, is only my opinion. Just as the alarmists have their own opinions. What we do know as fact is that on issue after issue after issue over the decades, all of the incremental changes that supposedly were going to "ruin" college basketball (or all of college sports!) ... well, that simply didn't happen.

I'm not as big a believer in the NCAA as you are, but I think it would work out OK despite them!

feedback