collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 120384 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: 2019-20 MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Count me among those who did not expect this at all.  With all those seniors graduating and a new coach, I had low expectations.  But it looks like the men and women will both be dancing again this year!

I really doubt you'd find anyone who expected anything like the results they've had so far this season.  Heck they were picked to finish 9th in the BE coaches poll.  My hope for this season was a .500 overall record so they'd be WNIT eligible - never thought I'd be talking about their NCAA Tourney chances at this point - this is fun :)

Coming into this weekend, I thought they'd beat Xavier and Butler at home, lose at Villanova, win at Georgetown and lose to DePaul at home.  That would put them at 12-6 in the BE and 21-8 overall with a pretty good chance at dancing.  But there's nothing to say what the outcomes will end up being for the remaining 4 games of course - could be better or worse.  And if Lott isn't available, that makes things more difficult for Marquette.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
Marquette had an ugly game last night but the important thing is they got the W.  They moved to 10-4 alone in 2nd place in the BE for now just ahead of 9-4 Butler who comes to town tomorrow.  Selena Lott didn't play last night and it would be very helpful to their chances of beating Butler if she's able to play tomorrow.

This team starts slow but is a very good rebounding team.  Definitely need Lott. What a great job by Coach Duffy, who I am guessing will be BE COY.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
This team starts slow but is a very good rebounding team.  Definitely need Lott. What a great job by Coach Duffy, who I am guessing will be BE COY.

At this point, I'd think Duffy has to be the front runner for BE COY considering the Coaches picked Marquette to finish 9th.

Villanova's Maddy Siegrist seems like a slam dunk for BE FOY with something like 10 BE FOW honors and a couple national Frosh of the week honors too.  Other BE awards seem a little more wide open at this point.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2020, 06:58:46 AM »
When the UConn Women show up next year in the Al the place will be nuts.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
Selena Lott is in uniform and was out warming up with the team.  That’s great to see after she was in street clothes for Friday night’s game. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2020, 06:50:56 PM »
Way too many turnovers once again with 22 and getting the ball in and over half court within 10 seconds was quite the adventure on a lot of possessions.  But Marquette shot 56.5% from the field and had 5 players in double figures as they easily beat Butler 76-54 today.

Marquette moves to 11-4 in BE play and 20-6 overall.  They are alone in 2nd place 1.5 games ahead of Butler who is 9-5, 2 games ahead of Seton Hall at 9-6 and 2.5 games ahead of Creighton and Villanova at 8-6.  DePaul is way out in front at 14-1 and has clinched at least a share of the regular season BE title.  They clinch the outright title with another win or Marquette loss as Marquette is the only team that can tie them.

Marquette travels to Villanova Friday and Georgetown next Sunday.  2 wins would be nice but the contest at Villanova will probably be tough.  They really need to win at Georgetown as they are one of the worst teams in the Big East and a loss to them would definitely be a bad loss for NCAA Tournament consideration purposes.  As of now, they don't have any bad losses but don't have any good wins either.  They'll wrap up the regular season hosting DePaul 2 weeks from today.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
I'm even more mad about Marquette's preseason BE pick as now I read that they were only 1 point away from being picked to finish 10th this season.  I was really mad when the poll came out that anyone picked Xavier ahead of them and Marquette has had the last laugh there I guess :).

Down to the wire here with most BE teams having 4 games left and only 3 games left for Marquette, DePaul, St. John's and Seton Hall.  The only things decided so far are Xavier, Providence and Georgetown will finish either 8th, 9th or 10th and all of them will play on the first day of the BE Tournament and DePaul has clinched at least a share of the BE regular season title.  DePaul will most likely clinch the outright title tomorrow as they do so with one more win or a Marquette loss and I just don't see DePaul losing to a bad Georgetown team.

Two wins this weekend on the road - Friday at Vilanova and Sunday at Georgetown would go a long way towards locking up 2nd place in the BE and a likely NCAA Tournament appearance for Marquette.

Congrats to Camryn Taylor who was the Big East freshman of the week and Izzy Spingola who made the BE honor roll.  Spingola also moved into 5th all-time on career 3 pointers for MU.  I didn't realize how much Hiedeman had really obliterated the previous record - she has 301 career 3's and the previous record holder Lori Goerlitz (class of '95) had about 223.

Links to watch tomorrow's game at Villanova at 6P central:
http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/2/19/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-seeding-on-the-line-in-second-to-last-weekend.aspx

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
MU was stone cold versus Nova on the road, losing 61-47.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/2/21/womens-basketball-golden-eagles-fall-at-villanova-61-47.aspx

They looked pretty awful for most of that game too.  They need to bounce back tomorrow against Georgetown - that would be a bad loss they can't afford if they want to keep NCAA Tournament hopes alive.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
Marquette wins easily at Georgetown today 76-56 with 3 players in double figures - Lott with 18, Anderson with a career high 16 points and LVK with 15 points.  They move to 21-7 overall and 12-5 in the Big East.  They have officially clinched a bye in the first round of the Big East Tournament. 

They are 1/2 game ahead of Butler for 2nd place right now who is 11-5 and Villanova is a game behind MU at 10-6 after a big upset of DePaul today.  Marquette can end up anywhere from 2nd to 4th.  They would lose a head to head tiebreaker with Villanova which can happen if Villanova wins at Creighton and Providence and MU loses to DePaul next Sunday based on Villanova's win over the top team in the conference.  And I think Butler would win a head to head tie with Marquette if both teams end up 12-6 based on wins over top teams in the conference as they have two wins over Villanova.  If Marquette and Butler end up tied at 13-5, Marquette wins the tiebreaker because that means they end up with a win over top seed DePaul.  Butler goes to St. John's and Seton Hall next weekend which will be tough games for them.

The game against DePaul next weekend will be a tough one especially with how much Marquette has turned the ball over this season.  DePaul will also probably be pretty fired up for that game too looking to bounce back after their upset loss at Villanova.  And they are battling for the chance to host first and second round NCAA Tournament games also.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2020, 06:07:56 AM »
Last week's Bracketology had Marquette moving down from a 9 to an 11 after two wins.  So after losing to Villanova this week, they move up of course :).  They are a procedural bump from a 10 to a 9.  I prefer the 10 or 11 to an 8/9 but nobody is going to consult with me about that :).  And this year I'll truly just be happy if they make the NCAA Tournament.  Their RPI is down a bit to 37 after having to play a bad Georgetown team and the Villanova loss.  But it is still the 2nd best RPI in the Big East just ahead of Creighton who is the 3rd team predicted in the NCAA Tournament from the Big East.

Latest Bracketology:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2020, 10:43:33 PM »
This is regarding college basketball, and women's bb in particular.  First player ever - men or women - to record 2000 points, 1000 rebounds and 1000 assists.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/hours-after-eulogizing-gigi-and-kobe-bryant-oregons-sabrina-ionescu-makes-ncaa-history/ar-BB10ldw6?ocid=spartanntp

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »
This is regarding college basketball, and women's bb in particular.  First player ever - men or women - to record 2000 points, 1000 rebounds and 1000 assists.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/hours-after-eulogizing-gigi-and-kobe-bryant-oregons-sabrina-ionescu-makes-ncaa-history/ar-BB10ldw6?ocid=spartanntp

I watched that game and was glad to see Ionescu make history.  That was quite the day for her - first speaking at Bryant's Memorial Service and not feeling well either -  they said she was throwing up before the game.  She has put up crazy good numbers in college - glad she skipped the chance to go into the WNBA draft early and came back to play one more season in college.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
Marquette doesn't play until Sunday but there are 4 games tonight and I'll be following Butler at St. John's and Villanova at Creighton closely as both can have big impacts on where Marquette finishes in the Big East.  We want Butler and Villanova to lose.  A Villanova loss tonight would guarantee Marquette can finish no lower than 3rd in the Big East.  If Marquette beats DePaul, they're guaranteed at least a tie with Butler and they would win a tiebreaker over Butler if both end up 13-5.  But I'm not sure how likely a Marquette win over DePaul is on Sunday.

A lot of seeds for the BET are up for grabs this weekend.  The only seed locked up heading into tonight's games is DePaul at #1.  Xavier, Georgetown and Providence will finish 8-10 but exact seeding is still to be determined.  Villanova can finish anywhere between 2nd and 7th.  5 teams could end up tied for 3rd at 11-7 - that would be one crazy tiebreaker.  Butler, Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall and St. John's are all fighting to avoid the 7 seed and playing on the first day of the Big East Tournament.

At this point, Marquette can finish anywhere from 2nd-4th in the Big East.

The Villanova at Creighton game is on FS1 at 7P EST tonight.

Go Creighton and St. John's for tonight :).

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
Thank you for the update on the seeding. Hoping to make a Big East tourney game or two.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
Creighton wins big over Villanova tonight and St. John's beats Butler in OT - both great outcomes for Marquette.  Now Marquette is assured of a tie with Butler for 2nd at worst and 2nd alone at best (would happen with Marquette win over DePaul or Butler loss at Seton Hall Sunday).

Marquette is 12-5, Butler is 11-6 and Creighton, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova are all tied for 4th at 10-7.

If Marquette and Butler were to tie, it's kind of hard to figure out what the tie breaker will be as they split 1-1 and the next tiebreaker is conference record against the top teams.  With that 4 way tie for 4th, it's hard to know which opponent it would come down to for the tiebreaker.  Butler swept Villanova and Creighton which are two teams Marquette split with so they have a potential edge there.  Marquette swept St. John's and Butler lost both times to them.

Sunday's games:

Butler at Seton Hall - 1P EST
Villanova at Providence - 1P EST
Georgetown at Creighton - 2P EST
DePaul at Marquette - 3P EST on FS2
Xavier at St. John's - 4P EST

Butler-Seton Hall could go either way in my opiniong but rooting hard for a Seton Hall win.  I'm guessing Villanova, Creighton and St. John's win easily as they're playing the 3 worst teams in the Big East and have a lot on the line.  I'd love to be wrong but I think DePaul beats Marquette Sunday.

Go Marquette!  A 2nd place BE finish would be so great especially after being picked 9th in the preseason and only being 1 point away from being picked last.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:59:04 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
Thank you for the update on the seeding. Hoping to make a Big East tourney game or two.

That's great if you can go - cheer them onto victory :).

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2020, 07:23:47 AM »
DePaul at Marquette is on FS2 at 2P Central. Marquette is doing their senior day ceremony pre-game this year which I'm bummed about - they used to do it post game for many years and I liked that a lot better. I also thought it was funny I got an email that the ceremony will start at 1:44P - seemed like a little bit of an odd time  :).

An article from the Big East that includes some seeding scenarios for all the games today - DePaul at #1 is still the only seed locked up for the BET and there could be a 5 way tie for 3rd:

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/2/29/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-regular-season-concludes-sunday.aspx

The Seton Hall at Butler game starts two hours before MU's game and if Seton Hall wins then Marquette is assured of finishing in 2nd place all by themselves.  A win over DePaul would also assure that for Marquette.  If Marquette loses and Butler wins, those two teams tie at 12-6 and it's hard to predict the tiebreakers for that since the two teams split and there's likely to be bunch of teams tied right below them.  This is the tiebreaker right after head to head:

>Each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group of tied teams in the standings for comparison. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

The next tiebreaker is road conference record which favors Butler.  But hopefully we don't have to worry about this tiebreaker - would love to see Marquette finish alone in second.

Go Marquette!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
Latest bracketology has them as a 9 in Waco playing Drake. Pretty safely in the tourney which is a pretty amazing accomplishment at this point in the season given the expectation preseason.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m a Miami University alumni and the fan base was pretty collectively crushed when Duffy was hired away and we can see why.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2020, 03:46:40 PM »
MU up big on DePaul on FS2.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2020, 04:06:46 PM »
90-83 MU Final.

Dominated the glass and inside.

24 turnovers but DePaul had 17 of their own.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2020, 04:08:13 PM »
MU up big on DePaul on FS2.

HUGE win. What a way to close out an amazing exceeding of expectations. Duffy has to be BE COY. Great momentum into the BET and hopefully a win or two in the tourney

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »
Congrats to the women!
Would their first game be Saturday evening? If so, then hopefully they win so I can go Sunday.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »
Congrats to the women!
Would their first game be Saturday evening? If so, then hopefully they win so I can go Sunday.

6P Central time Saturday night is their first game most likely against Villanova.  Although interestingly Villanova's opponent won't be decided until tomorrow - Georgetown and Xavier's tie couldn't be broken by most of the tiebreakers so they have to wait until the new RPI comes out tomorrow to see who gets the 9 seed and who gets the 10 seed.  And there was a 5 way tie for 3rd - wow!  The BET bracket with seeds 9 and 10 to be determined tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/BIGEASTWBB/status/1234254015640285191/photo/1
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:19:15 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
What a game - I felt exhasted after that one   ;D.  It got closer than I'd like at the end but the important thing is they got the win :).  A win or two in the BET would be nice but I think they've done enough at this point to make the NCAA Tournament.  What an incredible season - so fun and unexpected.  Duffy has to be the BE COY - if she's not, it's a travesty.

Go Marquette!!!