[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone use a Peloton / Echelon / Flywheel / etc.?  (Read 2647 times)

Stronghold

• All American
Anyone use a Peloton / Echelon / Flywheel / etc.?
« on: October 04, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »
My wife and I are looking for some in-home fitness equipment.  We do a lot of outdoor fitness when the weather permits but  Minnesota winters definitely put a damper on it.  These are appealing because of their relatively small size.  Leaning heavily toward the Echelon because of the lower price tag.  We've never had any of our own indoor equipment so I don't feel the need to get the top of the line right off the bat necessarily.  The subscription model of the app services for the bikes is kind of off-putting, but I've also heard great things about the classes/instructors offered and metrics they track.

Would like any feedback if anyone has one or something similar.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Anyone use a Peloton / Echelon / Flywheel / etc.?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »
Bought a Peloton in May just before the birth of our 2nd, when it became apparent I would never set foot in a non-hotel gym again. I'm a much more avid user than my wife, but we both get exactly what we want out of it, and the value over separate or a family gym membership makes it worth it. The bike is pricey, but for how much we use it, the 'payoff' really isn't that bad. I think they still offer 0% financing to make the cash flow more palatable.

With the bike, it's a $40/month price tag (unlimited members under that umbrella) for their entire fitness ecosystem - bike, guided runs, free weight strength, yoga, stretching, etc. App also allows streaming on phone and Chromecast. The Android app does the job nominally well, but I'm told the Apple app is significantly more stable at this point. Metrics all can sync with Strava if you're one of those people (I'm one of those people). Metrics are great for me to inventory in the event that I can ever start biking on the open road again once the kids are older.

Instructors are great, and there's one for every type of motivation need: foofy/inspirational, shut up and ride, etc. Most people I've talked to have a favorite that just works for them.

My recommendation before investing - find a spin class that isn't SoulCycle (just not the vibe you'll get from a Peloton class) and do a couple of classes to make sure that type of guided workout works for you. I didn't expect to like them quite as much as I did, and trading that for a bike that is feet away from my bedroom kicks ass compared to jaunting across town.

Feel free to PM with questions. If you do do Peloton - talk to me or another individual - we all have referral codes that get you $100 off accessories (shoes, cleat clips, mat, etc).

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »
If you're interested in an alternate point of view, and especially if you have basement space or spare room you can use... set up a small fitness room with your cardio equipment and a decent tv connected to all of the stuff you like to watch.  You can then do whatever workout you like while watching the Packer game or your favorite series to distract you

Second thing is to make sure the ergonomics of the thing you're going to buy work for you (or both of you).  Some of the stuff that's available was clearly designed by people who have never actually seen a human body, and other stuff is copies with compromises.  My recommendation is to buy what you use at your fitness gym, or go to a gym for a month or two and use what you want to buy.

I ended up buying Life Fitness elliptical and recumbent bike.  I've had them for 10+ years.  I put them on a service contract with Life Fitness so every 6 months or one year they come and do lubrication and maintenance to keep them in good shape. 

In the summer, they only get used on rainy days but in the winter they get lots of use.  The machines are still in great shape... the TV system on the wall in front of them has been upgraded about 5 times!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Herd da Liberator works wunders doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
Why start a new topic when there's already a thread for this?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58801.0
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
4ever

Beats the hell out of a treadmill or stationary bike. Sound advice for the fellow scoopers.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »
My wife and I are looking for some in-home fitness equipment.  We do a lot of outdoor fitness when the weather permits but  Minnesota winters definitely put a damper on it.  These are appealing because of their relatively small size.  Leaning heavily toward the Echelon because of the lower price tag.  We've never had any of our own indoor equipment so I don't feel the need to get the top of the line right off the bat necessarily.  The subscription model of the app services for the bikes is kind of off-putting, but I've also heard great things about the classes/instructors offered and metrics they track.

Would like any feedback if anyone has one or something similar.

I use a Peloton and love it.  Great classes, you can choose classes by music genre (so many great 80's rock playlists) and for me, the leaderboard is an excellent motivational tool. A few weeks, ago, I was "passed" by a guy listed as being from Madison and a Bucky icon - I picked up the pace and crushed him! I'm also someone who likes to see results during my workouts and Peloton provides that.

In addition to the classes, the bike is really well built and is close to a freewheel bike, meaning no momentum like many in spin classes. My wife teaches at a studio that uses freewheel bikes and many of her clients are competitive cyclists who feel that freewheel provides the closest workout to being on an actual bike. She really likes using the Peloton for that reason - freewheel (at least close to it).

The cost of the bike and $40/month subscription can be intimidating, but if you consider how much it would cost for you, your wife and daughter to workout at a spin studio (if your studios cost as much as they do where I am) it's actually a net gain. Plus, you can workout anytime and not worry about missing a class.

And even though she's left Peloton, Jennifer Jacobs has awesome playlists, is fun to look at during classes and still has a ton of classes available.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Can a small child turn on a Peloton that easily to get trapped? Or are inattentive adults allowing a small child near the treadmill not realizing the danger responsible?

https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/peloton-recalls-all-treadmills-after-injuries-death-of-child/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
I think the problem with the Peloton model is that it lacks some of the safety features that other treadmills have to prevent children from being pulled underneath. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
Can a small child turn on a Peloton that easily to get trapped? Or are inattentive adults allowing a small child near the treadmill not realizing the danger responsible?

https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/peloton-recalls-all-treadmills-after-injuries-death-of-child/

man, am I glad I sold my Peloton stock when I did!

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »

Seems like perhaps a buy opportunity now though.  Sort of like buying Chipotle when the stock dips after e. coli outbreaks.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Imagine the cost to recall these things. 

2 delivery guys with a truck? no.
Mail/UPS? No
Put it in your car? No.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 03:10:54 PM »
Seems like perhaps a buy opportunity now though.  Sort of like buying Chipotle when the stock dips after e. coli outbreaks.

They're going to keep dropping. As gyms open back up people are going to want to go back if for no other reason than the social aspect.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »

Really great how I bought at $80, held through $160 and here we are at $80 again.

For what it’s worth the UX is still great, I still love the bike 4 years in, and I’m not going back to a gym because of it. Guess that’s the bull case... guess I’ll just hold the bag.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
Really great how I bought at $80, held through $160 and here we are at $80 again.

For what it’s worth the UX is still great, I still love the bike 4 years in, and I’m not going back to a gym because of it. Guess that’s the bull case... guess I’ll just hold the bag.

I’ll keep using it (just finished a ride) but there’s something about the social aspect of a gym/studio too, but only as a supplement.

feedback