'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does MU need to accomplish this year for you to get/stay on the WojoWagon?

Nothing. My support for Wojo is unshakable.
9 (3.8%)
Any post-season.
7 (3%)
The Dance
68 (28.9%)
A NCAA Win
93 (39.6%)
2nd Weekend
48 (20.4%)
Only a banner redeems Wojo.
2 (0.9%)
Nothing. Every moment he's at the helm is like being stabbed in the heart with 1000 fiery knives.
8 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 235

Author Topic: Wojo's Threshold  (Read 39966 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Wojo's Threshold
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
If Wojo doesn’t win a NCAA tournament game this year he should be fired. The program has gone backwards under his leadership. There is zero enthusiasm, zero “buzz” and zero positivity come out of The Al. It’s all spin.

I’d be shocked if we make the NCAA.

Mr. Positive speaks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:47:39 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
Well, if Wojo is Crean without the final 4, remembering PRN's antipathy toward Crean, his attitude is consistent.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »
If Wojo doesn’t win a NCAA tournament game this year he should be fired. The program has gone backwards under his leadership. There is zero enthusiasm, zero “buzz” and zero positivity come out of The Al. It’s all spin.

I don't disagree.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »

Really? This year? BET.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »
I think Wojo is gone, if he strikes out on his remaining big recruiting targets. He will not be fired, but he will realize that it is to hard to recruit at MU and move on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:06:11 PM by bilsu »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »
I think many would like to see annual results similar to last season minus the NCAA result. 2nd in league, be respectable in conference tourney, be competitive v rivals and bigger name opponents. That’s what people are seeking. Obviously he needs to win in the NCAA’s. Missed opportunity not winning the league last year.

Prior to last year there were three seasons of essentially .500 middle of pack Big East Teams. That isn’t going to be good enough long term as the norm.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
Mr. Positive speaks.
When Butch speaks.....
Goal is National Championship

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
I think Wojo is gone, if he strikes out on his remaining big recruiting targets. He will not be fired, but he will realize that it is two hard to recruit at MU and move on.

That is my fear as well.   Need this recruiting class to come through for both the fans and wojos sanity.   If he comes through,  the programs direction will be decidedly forward because coaching consistency will pay off with more wins.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
That is my fear as well.   Need this recruiting class to come through for both the fans and wojos sanity.   If he comes through,  the programs direction will be decidedly forward because coaching consistency will pay off with more wins.

Playing devils advocate a bit here, but what if the season is a rousing success and another school he can’t turn down poaches him?

Chances are, the class will be lost.  It’s a weird place to be in
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
I think Wojo is gone, if he strikes out on his remaining big recruiting targets. He will not be fired, but he will realize that it is two hard to recruit at MU and move on.

Why would he do that, and where does he think he's going to go where the recruiting is easier and the pay is better?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »
I agree that could happen.  Hoping that both will occur and we are off to the races the next four years or so.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »

Maybe he should have at least 1 NCAA victory in the last 5 years.  That might help his cause. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »
Why would he do that, and where does he think he's going to go where the recruiting is easier and the pay is better?
My opinion is that both O'Neal and Crean left for schools they thought were easier to recruit to. A disappointing class for Wojo does not indicate positive on court success in the near future for Wojo. He be smart to depart while he can. It could be a Virginia Tech type move.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
I usually have higher expectations than most here...but to be honest, I'm not expecting much at all from this year's team. Just think they are going to struggle offensively. Some games, painfully so.  It was a bitter reality to face the fact that MU will likely never win another national Championship in my lifetime, and, given the current state of the program, that seems so far off. I'm just really soured on Wojo's whole tenure, that I just accept this is likely the way things are going to be for the forseeable future. A mediocre (to slightly above) seasons that has/have decent regular season success, but doesn't win much(if at all) come tournament time. It sucks, but after 5 years we don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise. It is what it is. I don''t see MU getting rid of him anytime soon and that's their prerogative. I don't have much choice but to just accept whatever will be, will be.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:08 PM »
My opinion is that both O'Neal and Crean left for schools they thought were easier to recruit to. A disappointing class for Wojo does not indicate positive on court success in the near future for Wojo. He be smart to depart while he can. It could be a Virginia Tech type move.
Barring a fantastic season with significant post season success I don't see a P6 school that would take him. If Marquette hired a coach to replace him that had a similar resume to Wojo's this board would be in full meltdown mode and rightfully so. I think any P6 AD would steer clear of trying to sell Wojo to his president, booster and fans.

I'm not trying to be a Wojo hater, I think he is classy, runs a clean and is very good in the community but the resume is very weak. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »
Please address these questions to Herman Cain. We don’t need a poll, he can simply tell us straight from the parents of recruits we are going after, which is all that really matters.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »

They left for bigger programs that provided bigger paychecks.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2019, 10:24:58 PM »
I usually have higher expectations than most here...but to be honest, I'm not expecting much at all from this year's team. Just think they are going to struggle offensively. Some games, painfully so.  It was a bitter reality to face the fact that MU will likely never win another national Championship in my lifetime, and, given the current state of the program, that seems so far off. I'm just really soured on Wojo's whole tenure, that I just accept this is likely the way things are going to be for the forseeable future. A mediocre (to slightly above) seasons that has/have decent regular season success, but doesn't win much(if at all) come tournament time. It sucks, but after 5 years we don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise. It is what it is. I don''t see MU getting rid of him anytime soon and that's their prerogative. I don't have much choice but to just accept whatever will be, will be.

Gosh, I hope you are wrong.

Again, as I said before, to measure Wojo you have to begin by setting expectations. You can't measure a space without a ruler and you can't measure Wojo's performance without an expectation.

Rule 1: We're not Vanderbilt. Or Stanford, Missouri, Arkansas, Minnesota, Washington etc. WE ARE MARQUETTE. It is not unreasonable to expect us to consistently compete for the Conference Championship, a Top 4 seed and most years to be in the conversation as one of the best teams in the country. If we want to be Vanderbilt, OK. Means we will be good once in awhile, bad occasionally and mediocre most of the time.

Rule 2: Being good and being good at it are not mutually exclusive. It means we can be a very good basketball team following whatever rules exist in the future. But, you say, people won't come to Milwaukee (which has been an argument in years past). Horses*it! If you're a consistent Top 25 team, they'll come, whether you're in Milwaukee, Spokane or Bismarck, ND. You have to recruit hard and successfully and then put players in the NBA.

My own feeling is I like what we once were. People FEARED US! They looked at people like Bob Lackey, Maurice Lucas or Gary Brell and said, "yikes!" I want to be feared again! I want people to see our guys walk out on the floor and shiver because we're tough as nails and have a really nasty attitude. Closest guys to making us that are Theo and Ed. You get fouled by Theo and you are "Theoed!"

I want to people to lose their lunch when they hear people scream, "WE ARE MARQUETTE..." 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:36:53 AM by dgies9156 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2019, 10:42:18 PM »

Zero enthusiasm....except for the most sellouts in years.  Zero buzz...uhm, ok.   Hilarious.  Why don’t you throw that big omen of yours around, or maybe make a donation to the American CANCER Society with it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:43:56 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
I think Wojo is gone, if he strikes out on his remaining big recruiting targets. He will not be fired, but he will realize that it is to hard to recruit at MU and move on.

And based on the stupidity of this legislation being passed, he would be smart to get out and go to where the power consolidation will further solidify.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
Gosh, I hope you are wrong.

Again, as I said before, to measure Wojo you have to begin by setting expectations. You can't measure a space without a ruler and you can't measure Wojo's performance without an expectation.

Rule 1: We're not Vanderbilt. Or Stanford, Missouri, Arkansas, Minnesota, Washington etc. WE ARE MARQUETTE. It is not unreasonable to expect us to consistently compete for the Conference Championship, a Top 4 seed and most years to be in the conversation as one of the best teams in the country. If we want to be Vanderbilt, OK. Means we will be good once in awhile, bad occasionally and mediocre most of the time.

Rule 2: Being good and being good at it are not mutually exclusive. It means we can be a very good basketball team following whatever rules exist in the future. But, you say, people won't come to Milwaukee (which has been an argument in years past). Horses*it! If you're a consistent Top 25 team, they'll come, whether you're in Milwaukee, Spokane or Bismarck, ND. You have to recruit hard and successfully and then put players in the NBA.

My own feeling is I like what we once were. People FEARED US! They looked at people like Bob Lackey, Maurice Lucas or Gary Brell and said, "yikes!" I want to be feared again! I want people to see our guys walk out on the floor and shiver because we're tough as nails and have a really nasty attitude. Closest guys to making us that are Theo and Ed. You get fouled by Theo and you are "Theoed!"

I want to people to lose their lunch when they hear people scream, "WE ARE MARQUETTE..."

Let's take the past 30 years of your example.

Marquette? 16 NCAA appearances. Vandy? 13. Marquette Sweet 16's? 5. Vandy? 4. Marquette has the elite 8 team and Final Four team. Not too extreme in differences. And one could easily say Marquette has certainly poured more resources into its efforts than Vandy.

The point is this has been the past THIRTY years.  The first thing is to accept reality of where Marquette is now, recent past, distant past etc...

Considering the resources, investment, and other factors, expectations do not need to be low. I'd like to see Marquette be a top 15 program which is a pretty big long term goal. At worst, I'd like to see Marquette be a top 25 program.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:26:46 AM by shoothoops »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »

If you can't be enthused about having an All-American who's one of the best players in our program's history on the court this season, the issue is not Wojo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:06:58 AM by Golden Avalanche »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »
If you can't be enthused about having an All-American who's one of the best players in our program's history on the court this season, the issue is not Wojo.
The kid that played in the Murray State game? No, I’m not enthused about watching him. It’s great for him when he’s scoring in bunches. The problem is it’s not great for the team or his teammates. Why not ask the players if they enjoy that? When he’s not “hot” it’s so painful that I’ve turned games off. That’s what we’ve all got to look forward to...followed by a ham handed coaching search that best not involve Lovell.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
Please address these questions to Herman Cain. We don’t need a poll, he can simply tell us straight from the parents of recruits we are going after, which is all that really matters.
Remember PM only
Goal is National Championship

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
Remember PM only

And not after 8PM....that's Herman time
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback