[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What does MU need to accomplish this year for you to get/stay on the WojoWagon?

Nothing. My support for Wojo is unshakable.
9 (3.8%)
Any post-season.
7 (3%)
The Dance
68 (28.9%)
A NCAA Win
93 (39.6%)
2nd Weekend
48 (20.4%)
Only a banner redeems Wojo.
2 (0.9%)
Nothing. Every moment he's at the helm is like being stabbed in the heart with 1000 fiery knives.
8 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 235

Author Topic: Wojo's Threshold  (Read 39456 times)

1SE

• All American
Wojo's Threshold
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:37:01 AM »
Barring catastrophic injury, what is the minimum Wojo needs to do to this year to win/retain your support?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wojo's Threshold
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »
None of these exactly, but saying Second Weekend is probably closest. I expect this to be the team it was advertised to be in April for that weekend after Markus stated he was returning and the Hausers announced their transfer. I feel this team should be a top 10-15 team, compete for Big East titles and the second weekend. I expect us to be celebrating some accomplishment of significance in April, whether it's a Big East regular season title, tournament title, or NCAA advancement to the Sweet 16 or further.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muhoopsfan6@yahoo.com

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
I wish I was as optimistic as you.  I believe this team to be more in the 20-25 region and I don't expect us to even sniff at the top 10.  An NCAA win is the minimum for me.  If we make the tourney and win a game there, that will be proof to me that Wojo has evolved as a coach to a significant degree.  It seems to me the Big East will be better than last season and that we have a bit less talent than last season.  I do hope the rookies and red shirts can take up the slack and prove me wrong.
Go Warriors!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Anything short of an NCAA Tournament appearance would be a disappointment.  Playing any game after the Round of 64 would be a luxury. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »
 this year my expectation is just to get there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
Me too Galway.  And let the chips fall where they may.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
I'll repeat what I said in another thread:

*  We have one of the greater players in Marquette's history on this team and the fellow who will be our leading all-time scorer.

*  We have a coach in the fifth year of a rebuilding (sorry, Buzz fans, it was a rebuilding) and by now we should have tangible results.

*  Before Hausershima, we were thought to be a Top 10 team with aspirations of a Final Four appearance. We had added the "missing link" in Koby and our guards with no injuries were expected to be strong.

Given these trends, less than the second week would be an EXTREME disappointment.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
I have high expectations for our program as well.  I hope you are right about a top ten team with a, hopefully, 1st team AA leading leading them.  But, the Hausers leaving changed the variables too much to expect that.  A good year with a tournament appearance in combination with an outstanding recruiting class would be pretty good indication things are still moving forward and would give Wojo some more slack.  It’s just the reality we are living in now.

We do what you are saying then we are starting to become an elite program again.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
Depends what on the Wojo bandwagon means. To get me to think he's a great coach? Probably a top 3 seed and second weekend appearance. To get me to want him fired? Probably missing the NIT
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
If this thread has taught us anything, it's that everyone should be hoarding Arby's coupons for March 2020.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
My expectations depends on how the Big East does.
I think the Big East is tougher this year.
In the end the Big East's success in NCAA tournament will tell me if the Big East was tougher this year. Last year the Big East was terrible in NCAA and NIT, which tells me MU was not as good as we thought as the whole conference was not that good.
A tougher Big East makes it tougher for Wojo to be successful.
I could live with MU finishing 6th, if the 5 teams ahead of them do reasonably well in NCAA tournament. MU finishing 6th and having the five teams in the tournament perform as they did last year would not set well with me.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »

The NCAAT and what we do in it is my primary.  The rest, to me is mostly like Christmas ornaments. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 10:54:46 AM »
An NCAA appearance is fine with me.  Trust me i wish for huge success as much as anyone, but we need to build the talent to do that.  Wojo has shown he can be a really good recruiter.  I belive he can be an even better recruiter with sustained success.  That even better recruiting can help the program acheive the success we all hope for over the long term.  Missing the ncaa this year is a step backwards in building that foundation.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »
Barring key injuries, I expect this to be a tourney team.   Tell me our record, our seed, our bracket, and the relative health and momentum of teams in our part of the bracket, and I can make a guess beyond that.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
I expect we’ll perform just well enough to keep Wojo off the hot seat, but not any better.  That probably means winning one NCAAT game and getting knocked out in the round of 32.  Won’t satisfy me, but it is what it is.  We make it to the second weekend and I’d be very excited.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
I expect we’ll perform just well enough to keep Wojo off the hot seat, but not any better.  That probably means winning one NCAAT game and getting knocked out in the round of 32.  Won’t satisfy me, but it is what it is.  We make it to the second weekend and I’d be very excited.

That may well be the case, and it would be a disappointment for this season.

On the other hand, if that result is coupled with a strong recruiting class (especially if Davis and/or Garcia sign), I’ll be more than satisfied.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
Let's put it another way, if Wojo doesn't clear the bar I'm setting below (at least one condition) I would openly advocate for his immediate ouster:

-Finish top 3 in BE regular season
-Finish top 4 in BE tournament
-Make 2nd weekend of NCAA
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »
Let's put it another way, if Wojo doesn't clear the bar I'm setting below (at least one condition) I would openly advocate for his immediate ouster:

-Finish top 3 in BE regular season
-Finish top 4 in BE tournament
-Make 2nd weekend of NCAA

Like others for me it's NCAA success or bust but is 4th place in the BE tourney really the equivalent of a S16 to you? I'd say it would have to at least be a BE finals appearance.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
I understand it’s not totally fair to call a season a success or failure based on a single-elimination tournament, however, I think we need at least a tournament win. To have one of the best players in the country and our history, lose in the first round three times would be a bummer. Especially if blown out again.

I’d be happy with a season similar to Buzz’s first Sweet Sixteen run. It might not show Wojo is a great coach due to underperforming during the season, but it feels like the program has hit a bit of a lull until we have some March success with Wojo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »
I understand it’s not totally fair to call a season a success or failure based on a single-elimination tournament, however, I think we need at least a tournament win. To have one of the best players in the country and our history, lose in the first round three times would be a bummer. Especially if blown out again.

I’d be happy with a season similar to Buzz’s first Sweet Sixteen run. It might not show Wojo is a great coach due to underperforming during the season, but it feels like the program has hit a bit of a lull until we have some March success with Wojo.

To be fair we had four of the best players in program history from 05-10 and didn't get to the second weekend. Yet it doesn't tarnish Jerel, Wes, DJ or Lazar's memory.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
I think our ceiling will depend on how much rest Markus Howard gets during the conference season.

I don't have high hopes for Howard getting rest. I don't have high hopes for our NCAA tourney success this year. I really hope that Wojo figures it out and that I'm wrong.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
Does a fiery knife hurt more than a cold knife?   My thinking is it would cauterize the wound keeping you from bleeding out.  But I'd guess with 1000 stabs you'd have enough internal damage to die immediately.

I expect the tournament this year.  Performance there will depend on match-ups.  I expect this team should be able to handle a Morant type better (defensively), but the offense is a bigger question mark - that will be answered soon enough!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
To be fair we had four of the best players in program history from 05-10 and didn't get to the second weekend. Yet it doesn't tarnish Jerel, Wes, DJ or Lazar's memory.

No, but if this was the best we could do, it raises questions about the direction of the program.

It's about expectations for Marquette. No one edition of the team makes or breaks the program. But the Directional attainment of a goal is essential, as is the definition of the goal.

If you're comfortable with a school that mediocre in its own conference and consistently lands in the middle of the pack -- which a "4" standing puts us -- then OK, having the greatest scorer in university history generate no wins in the NCAA and a debilitating loss against an OVC no-name is success. I hope you're pleased.

But for many of us, that's not going to float our boat. We want our Warriors/Golden Eagles/Furry Birds or whatever politically correct name the university wants to call them, among the Top 10 teams in the country and moving toward a goal of rejoining the best and brightest in college basketball. Yeah, times have changed since those wonderful days way back when, but a great organization changes with the times and finds a way to win. 

If we want to be great, we're going to have to figure this riddle out. We can and we must!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
No, but if this was the best we could do, it raises questions about the direction of the program.

It's about expectations for Marquette. No one edition of the team makes or breaks the program. But the Directional attainment of a goal is essential, as is the definition of the goal.

If you're comfortable with a school that mediocre in its own conference and consistently lands in the middle of the pack -- which a "4" standing puts us -- then OK, having the greatest scorer in university history generate no wins in the NCAA and a debilitating loss against an OVC no-name is success. I hope you're pleased.

But for many of us, that's not going to float our boat. We want our Warriors/Golden Eagles/Furry Birds or whatever politically correct name the university wants to call them, among the Top 10 teams in the country and moving toward a goal of rejoining the best and brightest in college basketball. Yeah, times have changed since those wonderful days way back when, but a great organization changes with the times and finds a way to win. 

If we want to be great, we're going to have to figure this riddle out. We can and we must!

You came off like having a drunken unhinged rant. I'm just saying the Elite 8 team had nobody that I'd call an all time great whereas guys like those four (including the person who is currently the all time scorer) had no runs during a time that was considered to be extremely successful for MU.

As far as my expectations or what I'm ok with you can chill the hell out I was at MU for the second greatest stretch in program history and want that back very bad but that doesn't mean expecting a championship every year because even Al only got us to that game twice. In a year like this I'm fine with making it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »
Does a fiery knife hurt more than a cold knife?   My thinking is it would cauterize the wound keeping you from bleeding out.  But I'd guess with 1000 stabs you'd have enough internal damage to die immediately.

I expect the tournament this year.  Performance there will depend on match-ups.  I expect this team should be able to handle a Morant type better (defensively), but the offense is a bigger question mark - that will be answered soon enough!

Bart: What's wrong, Dad?
Homer: [strained from feeling chest pains] You know that feeling you get when a thousand knives of fire are stabbing you in the heart? I got that right now... [back to normal] Ooh, bacon

feedback