Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 210346 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1025 on: October 03, 2019, 01:44:25 PM »
Football players can’t go “overseas”, or join a “g-league”. 

And there are other athletes in non-revenue sports that can and will be able to profit off their likeness.

It's not the NCAA's fault or their placement for existing to solve an NFL problem.  If you don't like it, let the NFL start a minor league of their own.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1026 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
Of course I have figured that out...but that's what I don't get...why should it be?? Should there just be no rules for anyone to follow ever for anything?? What's so wrong with being a college athlete, getting compensated(that would make them all happy) but NOT being eligible for at least post season? It's a compromise. Why should they get both??

Do you think your employer's rules are dumb?? Go tell them to change theirs once and see where that gets you.

My employer's rules change regularly.  Oftentimes based on input from its employees.  It's what smart organizations do.  They adapt to the world around them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: October 03, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
It's not the NCAA's fault or their placement for existing to solve an NFL problem.  If you don't like it, let the NFL start a minor league of their own.

Something neither the NCAA or NFL wants or would benefit from.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1028 on: October 03, 2019, 01:47:15 PM »
LOL.  The bowl system is dead.  It's a farce now.  To suggest otherwise is a joke.   Etc, etc
I noticed you didn't list the 1000's of things he said there were right.....as usual.

Yes, because the bowl system was what before?  For a farce, they seem to keep making new ones.  Weirdly, the Big Ten keeps affiliating with them, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1029 on: October 03, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
Something neither the NCAA or NFL wants or would benefit from.

I agree with Cheeks.  Sadly, the NCAA is quite happy with the arraignment and is happily selling TV deals and acting as a minor league.  Football players would be served with a real minor league system but that’s another topic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1030 on: October 03, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »

Real world....ignored.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-10-02/college-athletics-reform-ncaa-doomsday-title-ix

Oh cool, another reason to ignore radical crazy people predicting we have 11 years left before we and world are doomed.  Awesome, appreciate the clarity on that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1031 on: October 03, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
To reach your conclusion you, like Cheeks, are cherrypicking which revenues you deem valid and which are not.

And you're not being entirely accurate in describing the university allocation as "things that could and should go to educational purposes."
Much of that money comes in the form of student fees that are imposed specifically to support athletics.  A very good argument can be made as to whether or not students should be charged fees to support the athletic department, but it's obviously wrong to state that that money would otherwise be going to "educational purposes."
That university allocation also includes indirect support, like use of HR and IT staff, accounting, utilities and building maintenance.

The irony.  Just as you and your group is cherry picking every step of the way.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1032 on: October 03, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
Change is coming. Better get used to it. The train has left the station.

Not if the NCAA wins in the courts....all kinds of "change" that got thwarted by the law.  But if it does go through, I hope you and others will think kindly for all those student athletes that will lose those opportunities as schools cut back.  Mostly women and minorities.  What a great movement you will be a part of to help the 1%.  You should be proud...maybe you can print t-shirts that you were on the right side of history for the 1% and then give those to the student athletes that no longer can compete because their programs were abolished in cutbacks. 

Which athletic program will you be backing the future?  Which really large state school with huge alumni base and untold resources to buy players? I'm just curious

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1033 on: October 03, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
Yes, because the bowl system was what before?  For a farce, they seem to keep making new ones.  Weirdly, the Big Ten keeps affiliating with them, too

It's a farce compared to what it used to be.  It has completely diluted the New Year's Day bowls.  You have other bowls that make no money at all are there only to serve to provide television content.  The viewership is pathetic for many of them.  Complete farce now.  The only reason schools participate in these 4th tier bowls is to say they went to a bowl.  Half of D1 goes to a bowl now. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1034 on: October 03, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »
Not if the NCAA wins in the courts....all kinds of "change" that got thwarted by the law.  But if it does go through, I hope you and others will think kindly for all those student athletes that will lose those opportunities as schools cut back.  Mostly women and minorities.  What a great movement you will be a part of to help the 1%.  You should be proud...maybe you can print t-shirts that you were on the right side of history for the 1% and then give those to the student athletes that no longer can compete because their programs were abolished in cutbacks. 

Which athletic program will you be backing the future?  Which really large state school with huge alumni base and untold resources to buy players? I'm just curious

Why are universities going to have to cut sports because athletes get likeness compensation from outside sources?

Your arguments are the same they made when Title IX got enacted.  And that’s when universities actually got stuck with the bill.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1035 on: October 03, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
STOP SPREADING DISINFORMATION ON THESE ITEMS

Student athletes CAN have jobs.  Student athletes CAN mometize on YouTube videos. Student athletes CAN start their own businesses.  The lack of knowledge here on this topic and the repeated falsehoods that they cannot is breathtaking.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1036 on: October 03, 2019, 01:59:57 PM »
I'm not that smart so can you explain how I proved your point? The competitions you described don't sound like they are meant to be true equal competitions but 'competitions' to advance research and technology and promote innovation. That would be equivalent to allowing Stanford to "innovate" with the help of Google to have a football that flies twice as far that Stanford uses when it kicks field goal attempts. Not very fair in my estimation.

As for the additional money argument, you maybe right. My gut and guys like Gene Smith (who would stand to benefit the most) say otherwise. While payments of an illegal nature are currently going on, my observations have been that when something is made legal it happens on a much larger scale (marijuana in Colorado and alcohol consumption after prohibition ended). I admit I don't have a good comparison to money in college sports.

FWIW, I don't think major college sports can exist as an amatuer endevore. Any additional attempts to blend pro and college sports is crazy and will lead to more corruption. College sports can't get partially pregnant with professional payments.

Time to make a clean brake; put in place a pro model, let the players make the money they are entitled to, split the teams from the schools so the IRS does not take down the universities, enact revenue sharing and salary caps. I don't know how any player advocate can argue with this.

The competitions have a winner, they win money for their organization. Yes the ultimate outcome is about incentivizing innovation but there are still winners and losers. And oh by the way, college sports isn't just about winning and losing, it's about raising the universities profile and visibility so they can attract more students.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1037 on: October 03, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Why are universities going to have to cut sports because athletes get likeness compensation from outside sources?

Your arguments are the same they made when Title IX got enacted.  And that’s when universities actually got stuck with the bill.

I already gave you real world examples, read up a page on sponsorship monies gathered.  Very simple, departments rely on corporate sponsorship money (to some extent, some more than others) to fund staffing and scholarships.  Those dollars now go elsewhere, that creates a huge hole.  Who is filling that hole?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: October 03, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
You don't understand the difference between a deficit and debt??  Jesus Crist on a trailer hitch.  Your ignorance is breathtaking.
[/quotes]

And you did understand the difference?  LOL
To paraphrase someone else in this thread, "Since about 6th grade".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1039 on: October 03, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
It's a farce compared to what it used to be.  It has completely diluted the New Year's Day bowls.  You have other bowls that make no money at all are there only to serve to provide television content.  The viewership is pathetic for many of them.  Complete farce now.  The only reason schools participate in these 4th tier bowls is to say they went to a bowl.  Half of D1 goes to a bowl now.

The college football playoff didn’t change that.  The BCS title game started in 1998. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: October 03, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »

my whole point is Ca is beyond BROKE and your $21 billion with a "b" is horse hockey compared to their "reportedly $1.3 trillion(might even be more) with a "T" debt.   mentioning $21 b dollar surplus is not only laughable, but as good as... gone before i even hit "post" here...btw, hows their choo-choo train doing einstein?  running a surplus there too?
Was any of this in English?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: October 03, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »

The University of Wisconsin athletic department requested a budget of $159 million for 2019-20.  They pay their defensive and offensive coordinators in football $966,000 and $775,000 respectively.
I went in to the wrong line of work

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »

No its media $$$ and alumni donations.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1043 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:46 PM »
I already gave you real world examples, read up a page on sponsorship monies gathered.  Very simple, departments rely on corporate sponsorship money (to some extent, some more than others) to fund staffing and scholarships.  Those dollars now go elsewhere, that creates a huge hole.  Who is filling that hole?

Eastern Michigan received $195,000 in donations to the football program in 2017.  My hunch is, that money isn’t going to go and get them players

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: October 03, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

Man some of those responses are so Chicosian.
Judging by his volume here, half of them probably *are* chicos

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: October 03, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »

They're not.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: October 03, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Oh cool, another reason to ignore radical crazy people predicting we have 11 years left before we and world are doomed.  Awesome, appreciate the clarity on that.
Politics. Again.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: October 03, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »

My employer's rules change regularly.  Oftentimes based on input from its employees.  It's what smart organizations do.  They adapt to the world around them.

But again, if kids want to make money off their likeness, go right ahead. But tell me why then they should be allowed to be eligible for post season play?? It's supposed to be a give and take. Or should college athletes just be able to "rule the roost" and do whatever they please without rules??

There's rules for everything in this world. This makes them decide what's more important to them, making money off their likeness or being eligible to play in post season competition. One or the other...not both.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1048 on: October 03, 2019, 02:25:52 PM »
They're not.

Weird these universities have a sudden concern about fiscal responsibility with regards to their athletic departments.  Good timing

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1049 on: October 03, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
But again, if kids want to make money off their likeness, go right ahead. But tell me why then they should be allowed to be eligible for post season play?? It's supposed to be a give and take. Or should college athletes just be able to "rule the roost" and do whatever they please without rules??

There's rules for everything in this world. This makes them decide what's more important to them, making money off their likeness or being eligible to play in post season competition. One or the other...not both.

I’m sure the coaches think that’s a good idea.  Why do you get to make the rules?