[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 208576 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #825 on: October 01, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
That’s great.  It’s going to happen.  How does MU get in front of this or is it too early to say?  I’m assuming that there will be no cap on earnings because that would be inherently unfair to the players as well.  Do we need to start shaking the bushes now?  Start a new department for student athletes that will pay them more that other ADs/schools.  I’m sure the biggest proponents of this have thought this through.  I’d like to hear your ideas.

Any university that hasn’t anticipated this happening, has done itself and students a disservice.  Marquette should have a plan in place.  Do they?  I don’t know that for a fact.

As for losing talent, Marquette wasn’t recruiting kids, realistically anyway, that would be the biggest beneficiaries of this. 

It’ll be up to local businesses as well to decide what the worth any athlete may be to their business.  A kid like Markus Howard would be very marketable despite what a few here think.  Quite frankly, the Hausers would have probably banked more at Marquette than they will at MSU or Virginia.

My hunch is, shoe companies will be as active pushing kids to play together at Nike schools and so on.  Basically, like before but in the open about it
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #827 on: October 01, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
That’s great.  It’s going to happen.  How does MU get in front of this or is it too early to say?  I’m assuming that there will be no cap on earnings because that would be inherently unfair to the players as well.  Do we need to start shaking the bushes now?  Start a new department for student athletes that will pay them more that other ADs/schools.  I’m sure the biggest proponents of this have thought this through.  I’d like to hear your ideas.

The ADs/schools won't be paying anyone.
If the NCAA were smart - and that's a big "if" - they'd be trying to get back out front on this and creating a clearinghouse of sorts to ensure that all endorsement deals are legit, not simply back door means of boosters paying players, and players are being compensated at market value rates (i.e. a rich lawyer from Texas can't pay a 5-star quarterback $2 million for making an appearance at the company BBQ). And also banning endorsement deals that necessitate attendance at a specific school prior to enrollment (i.e. Nike can't sign a kid to a shoe deal on the condition he attends Oregon or Duke or whatever).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:57:07 AM by Pakuni »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #828 on: October 01, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
What I'd like to know for those that are so much for this(why you want college sports to be pro sports is beyond me), what happens if only say 40 states have a law like this, or less?? Or not every single state believes this is the way to go...?? Then what?? How would school in those states ever get players to come to their school?? That's part of the imbalance that will result from this.

So if college sports are going pro, we need to start talking about when Free agency starts, what the salary cap will be, trade deadlines, full and honest injury reports need to be released, maybe instead of recruiting, college sports should start drafting too, right?? All these things need to be figured out since people want to turn this into pro sports.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #829 on: October 01, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
What I'd like to know for those that are so much for this(why you want college sports to be pro sports is beyond me), what happens if only say 40 states have a law like this, or less?? Or not every single state believes this is the way to go...?? Then what?? How would school in those states ever get players to come to their school?? That's part of the imbalance that will result from this.

So if college sports are going pro, we need to start talking about when Free agency starts, what the salary cap will be, trade deadlines, full and honest injury reports need to be released, maybe instead of recruiting, college sports should start drafting too, right?? All these things need to be figured out since people want to turn this into pro sports.

I’ll say this slower for you

The
NCAA
is
Going
To
Allow
Likeness
Compensation
It’s
Just
A
Matter
Of
When.
They
Are
Not
Going
To
Allow
Schools
To
Pay
The
Players
Themselves
The
Legislation
Being
Pursued
Is
To
Force
The
Hand
Of
The
NCAA
Who
Doesn’t
Want
Anyone
Else
To
Profit
But
Themselves

muguru

• All American
« Reply #830 on: October 01, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »
Here would be my compromise if I'm the NCAA and I stand firm on this...you enroll at whatever school it is, you then have a choice..if you choose to sign a marketing contract, you can no longer participate in the post season. Play with your teammates etc during the year that's fine, but bowl games, NCAA tourney etc, you are ineligible. That's the deal..$$$ or postseason but not both....that will say who's in it for the $$ and who's in it because of school pride etc.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #831 on: October 01, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »

If thje NCAA acts, it won't matter if every state is on board. These laws are merely forcing the NCAA's hand. And if 40 of 50 states pass similar laws, there's zero chance the NCAA doesn't capitulate (I mean, they're already capitulating).

How does allowing a player to profit off his likeness necessitate trades and salary caps?
What nonsense.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #832 on: October 01, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
I’ll say this slower for you

The
NCAA
is
Going
To
Allow
Likeness
Compensation
It’s
Just
A
Matter
Of
When.
They
Are
Not
Going
To
Allow
Schools
To
Pay
The
Players
Themselves
The
Legislation
Being
Pursued
Is
To
Force
The
Hand
Of
The
NCAA
Who
Doesn’t
Want
Anyone
Else
To
Profit
But
Themselves

You are a flippin idiot if you REALLY and truly believe this isn't going to end up being schools paying the players directly. Anytime you have something like this, there WILL be corruption. I can 100% guarantee you that.

Also, apparently you aren't bright enough to understand...so I will say it slowly for you...Let's say Syganiak planning wants one of the MU players to do a commercial or something..Okay fine, but here's the problem...Cyganiak is a big MU sponsor/booster...so guess what?? That's an NCAA violation. Get it??

You obviously didn't read the SD union article. You go on and on and on about how unfair these poor student athletes have it..poor poor poor babies can't even afford the scholar...oh wait.

So you act like you care about these athletes..well go explain to MU's volley ball and Lacrosse teams why they can't exist anymore. Do you even care??

If you read the article you will understand most schools operate at a deficit.

I wonder what MU can get in a trade for Greg Elliott??

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #833 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
You are a flippin idiot if you REALLY and truly believe this isn't going to end up being schools paying the players directly. Anytime you have something like this, there WILL be corruption. I can 100% guarantee you that.

Also, apparently you aren't bright enough to understand...so I will say it slowly for you...Let's say Syganiak planning wants one of the MU players to do a commercial or something..Okay fine, but here's the problem...Cyganiak is a big MU sponsor/booster...so guess what?? That's an NCAA violation. Get it??

You obviously didn't read the SD union article. You go on and on and on about how unfair these poor student athletes have it..poor poor poor babies can't even afford the scholar...oh wait.

So you act like you care about these athletes..well go explain to MU's volley ball and Lacrosse teams why they can't exist anymore. Do you even care??

If you read the article you will understand most schools operate at a deficit.

I wonder what MU can get in a trade for Greg Elliott??

Why can’t they exist?  Did the TV check bounce?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #834 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »

What you aren't grasping Guru is this isn't the end game. The states have made the first move by enacting(in California first followed by others) legislation that will make it impossible for the current NCAA model to exist (that's the whole point). I have no doubt that the California legislation will be struck down but the NCAA will have to fight every state in court individually(because the laws will be different) and the only other weapon the NCAA has is to disqualify schools in those states. Good luck maintaining any kind of revenue when you ban 4 of the largest states and their universities from the post season in any sport. So the NCAA must reform or die. The NCAA will have to enact some sort of NIL profit structure that will get most, if not all of the states to back off and we'll go from there.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #835 on: October 01, 2019, 12:14:01 PM »

As opposed to the corruption that is already going on???

There is a definite possibility that when all is said and done all this really does is take the shadow deals that were going on anyway and give them a means of coming into the light......and guess what, you can now tax that transaction, etc. No different than legalizing pot, you want to bring black market transactions into the open market so you gain efficiencies, regulation, etc.

Also, players profiting off NIL is not a zero sum game with university sponsorship.....some university funding may go down but net new funding for the players will come on to the market as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #836 on: October 01, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
Schools won’t directly pay players.  BUT,  they will have to get involved if they want to have consistently elite profit from your likeness packages for the players while recruiting.  You better believe these players, families and now agents will know the statistics of schools who can generate more money from the local and national businesses than others.  MU will have to hire more people to get this done. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #837 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Why can’t they exist?  Did the TV check bounce?

Obviously you didn't read the article..It's all explained there. Are you this way with your co workers to?? If they make more money than you do you pi$$ and moan?? I mean the company is making money because of you, right?? Go cry to your boss how unfair that is, and demand he give you a raise because he's "hoarding" all the profits. See where that gets you.

What if your taxes go up to help support these universities that now won't get as much revenue?? Are you going to be okay with that??

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #838 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
The ADs/schools won't be paying anyone.
If the NCAA were smart - and that's a big "if" - they'd be trying to get back out front on this and creating a clearinghouse of sorts to ensure that all endorsement deals are legit, not simply back door means of boosters paying players, and players are being compensated at market value rates (i.e. a rich lawyer from Texas can't pay a 5-star quarterback $2 million for making an appearance at the company BBQ). And also banning endorsement deals that necessitate attendance at a specific school prior to enrollment (i.e. Nike can't sign a kid to a shoe deal on the condition he attends Oregon or Duke or whatever).

I'm not totally with ya there Pakuni. I agree the NCAA has to get out in front of this but I really don't want the NCAA involved anymore than necessary. I like the idea of a clearinghouse to validate the legality of contracts, provide players guidance, etc.....but at the end of the day if some rich person wants to spend their money idiotically I'm totally fine with it. Short term there may be some bumps or anomalies but long term the market will correct because the rich don't stay rich but throwing their money around in unprofitable ways. I really don't want the NCAA determining market rates, like at all.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #839 on: October 01, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
What you aren't grasping Guru is this isn't the end game. The states have made the first move by enacting(in California first followed by others) legislation that will make it impossible for the current NCAA model to exist (that's the whole point). I have no doubt that the California legislation will be struck down but the NCAA will have to fight every state in court individually(because the laws will be different) and the only other weapon the NCAA has is to disqualify schools in those states. Good luck maintaining any kind of revenue when you ban 4 of the largest states and their universities from the post season in any sport. So the NCAA must reform or die. The NCAA will have to enact some sort of NIL profit structure that will get most, if not all of the states to back off and we'll go from there.

All the NCAA has to do I'd think is take this to federal court, who has already ruled in their favor once..The Ed O Bannon case. Federal law trumps state laws.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #840 on: October 01, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »

Others already have done a nice job of answering your questions, so I won't chime in there.

What I will say is that, for me anyway, it's not a matter of wanting college sports to be pro sports. College sports already ARE pro sports. Cheating is rampant. Athletes are getting paid left and right. The rich are already getting richer, and will continue to do so under the current system. And I think that the young men and women who make college sports possible - the athletes - should have the right to profit off their own likenesses.

So I'll turn it around ...

Why are you so willing to be happy about the corrupt status quo? Why are you so willing to let the richest schools continue to dominate the game through cheating? Why do you want only the rich institutions, the rich ADs and the rich coaches to benefit from the money flowing in?

Thanks!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #841 on: October 01, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
Obviously you didn't read the article..It's all explained there. Are you this way with your co workers to?? If they make more money than you do you pi$$ and moan?? I mean the company is making money because of you, right?? Go cry to your boss how unfair that is, and demand he give you a raise because he's "hoarding" all the profits. See where that gets you.

What if your taxes go up to help support these universities that now won't get as much revenue?? Are you going to be okay with that??

Did you read Dan Wetzel’s article?  Cut the bureaucracy bloat at these universities instead of the athletic programs. 

I don’t have to worry about my taxes going up to support any university system, I live in Wisconsin

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #842 on: October 01, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
Schools won’t directly pay players.  BUT,  they will have to get involved if they want to have consistently elite profit from your likeness packages for the players while recruiting.  You better believe these players, families and now agents will know the statistics of schools who can generate more money from the local and national businesses than others.  MU will have to hire more people to get this done.

No, but a coach will reach out to boosters and corporate sponsors and ask for them to have a player "endorse" their business.  Businesses aren't going to care about how much these kids will generate in terms of revenue, they'll be more interested in helping the program. Markus will be the face of Allen Edmonds, Theo a local Coca Cola bottler, etc. It will be a huge recruiting advantage for particular schools.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #843 on: October 01, 2019, 12:28:40 PM »
All the NCAA has to do I'd think is take this to federal court, who has already ruled in their favor once..The Ed O Bannon case. Federal law trumps state laws.

The Ed O'Bannon case was brought by the litigate in Federal Court because the argument was around Federal labor law. In this case, the Federal courts do not have standing because this is a state law so the NCAA would have to fight these laws in state courts unless they can come up with some sort of standing in Federal court around something like interstate commercial or some other thing.......but if they do that they are opening up themselves to congressional action to remove their trade organization standing.

The NCAA could definitely piss off Congress with all of this too and guess what? Going after the NCAA on NIL issues polls as non-partisan and highly popular (2 to 1). So if you are looking for a cheap easy political win in 2020, seems like the NCAA makes a nice fat target.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #844 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
No, but a coach will reach out to boosters and corporate sponsors and ask for them to have a player "endorse" their business.  Businesses aren't going to care about how much these kids will generate in terms of revenue, they'll be more interested in helping the program. Markus will be the face of Allen Edmonds, Theo a local Coca Cola bottler, etc. It will be a huge recruiting advantage for particular schools.

Of course businesses are well known to give money away just because...........

Sure some money may be throw away because some executive has an expense account but I guarantee the vast majority of funding has to be tied to a business case before it rolls out to universities and/or athletes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #845 on: October 01, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #847 on: October 01, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »

The NCAA ought to worry about the DOJ if they fight this.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #848 on: October 01, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »

Right.  But it shouldn't be.  That's the point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #849 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »

I agree.  But I think a separate staff/department dedicated to this will have to be hired in order to be on the fore front of the “pay for likeness” opportunities.  Coaches may be the closers for the deals but won’t have the time to do all of it.