'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206284 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #650 on: September 27, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
I'm not making that argument.
The rule may very well have academic benefits.. But any such benefits are ancillary to the primary purpose of the rule, which, as Fluffy notes, is to control the movement of athletes in revenue producing/major sports.
Any academic benefit is a nice little distraction that those who are willing to carry the NCAA's water will seize upon, but if that were truly the NCAA's aim, it would impose the rule across the board. The fact they do not - and the athletes upon whom they do choose to impose it - reveals the true intent.

Shall I assume that you'll continue to dodge my question?

You keep misapplying logic regarding differences between divisions, and offering no evidence to support your assertion that "it is to control the movement of athletes". You just state it as fact.

Regarding your question, I'll provide a number of possible reasons. I've already highlighted one earlier.

1. D1 football and basketball players are advised to take low course loads, and focus on majors that often will not transfer to other institutions. This is done to help facilitate eligibility. The NCAA cannot govern "major requirements," nor how transfer credits are accepted, it is beyond their purview. The NCAA recognizes they are uniquely harmed in transfer situations.

2. D1 football and basketball players are more likely to have received preferential admission to universities, putting them in a unique situation where they may struggle academically.

3. D2 and D3 athletes and students in other sports are not viewed by society as "exploited," as such, the NCAA doesn't give a crap whether they graduate or not, because demonstrating improved graduation rates cannot be used as evidence of "progress".

4. D2, D3, and athletes in other sports are far less likely to be on scholarship for the duration of their eligibility. As such, forcing them to sit out a year would be likely to cost them financially (in terms of tuition) if they wanted to exhaust their eligibility. Finishing their degree will be determined by whether they want to pay tuition, whether they sit out a year or not. There is no advantage in such a case to the student athlete.

I can come up with more if you want. I fully recognize there are many elements at play. You have excluded all others because you, like Sultan, have a bias against the NCAA.

In this case, you have a problem with an NCAA rule that actually academically benefits the student athlete. You want the rule changed, so that they can be academically harmed.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #651 on: September 27, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
I find humor normally when it is locked in truth, and he badly missed on that one.  It would be like someone here calling you a tooth scraper.

cheeks-i meant no dis man...and i've been called worse, but my hygienists do the scraping,  i drill, fill and yank
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #652 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
You want the rule changed, so that they can be academically harmed.

This is Cheeks-level nonsense.  Congrats.

I guess a fitting response would be to point out that you believe Division I football and basketball players are less intelligent than athletes in other sports, and what such a statement implies.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #653 on: September 27, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »
This is Cheeks-level nonsense.  Congrats.

I guess a fitting response would be to point out that you believe Division I football and basketball players are less intelligent than athletes in other sports, and what such a statement implies.

My statement was simply indicating a fact. The rule as it currently exists academically benefits the student athlete. This is a fact. You want it changed.

I never said that D1 football and basketball players are less intelligent than anyone. I said Universities direct them to take low course loads, and focus on majors that are unlikely to transfer. This is, to a large extent, due to the fact that the University is exploiting the athletes, and expecting an extraordinary amount of their time for sports...not academics.

It is also true, that D1 football and basketball players are more likely to be underprepared for college academics. This is not because of intelligence, rather it has to do with historical inequities through our educational system beginning with preschool. It also has to do with a long history of exploiting some segments of our population (particularly athletes) for our entertainment, and downplaying any value in their education.

All that is why I am a strong advocate for the transfer rule as it currently stands. It is one firm example of a rule that actually benefits the athletes academically.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #654 on: September 28, 2019, 04:55:31 AM »
D3...LOL.  The club team my son is on routinely beats D3 teams they play.  Let’s get real. 

That has nothing to do with academics and transferring. But cool for your kid. 🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #655 on: September 28, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #656 on: September 28, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
This is, to a large extent, due to the fact that the University is exploiting the athletes, and expecting an extraordinary amount of their time for sports...not academics.

Well, this part of what you say is unquestionably true.

Based on what you say (and what I agree with), these universities (and by extention the NCAA, which is made up of them) sure seem to care precious little about academically preparing athlete-students for life. Way too many TV $$$ (and other $$$) on the line.

It's hilarious/sad that many NCAA honchos and university poobahs want to close one of the few loopholes that favor athletes - the grad-transfer rule, which rewards athletes who actually get their degrees.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #657 on: September 28, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
My statement was simply indicating a fact. The rule as it currently exists academically benefits the student athlete. This is a fact. You want it changed.

I never said that D1 football and basketball players are less intelligent than anyone. I said Universities direct them to take low course loads, and focus on majors that are unlikely to transfer. This is, to a large extent, due to the fact that the University is exploiting the athletes, and expecting an extraordinary amount of their time for sports...not academics.

It is also true, that D1 football and basketball players are more likely to be underprepared for college academics. This is not because of intelligence, rather it has to do with historical inequities through our educational system beginning with preschool. It also has to do with a long history of exploiting some segments of our population (particularly athletes) for our entertainment, and downplaying any value in their education.

All that is why I am a strong advocate for the transfer rule as it currently stands. It is one firm example of a rule that actually benefits the athletes academically.

as i have been following this "dialogue", i've got to say forgets stuff makes a lot of sense.  all of it...i don't get the angst or hostile back and forth.  i believe forget has a unique and valuable point of view being in the world of college/university academia that most of us here do not have.  that's the beauty of scoop having personalities from many walks of life with their own strengths and experiences. 

people's pov on this issue doesn't have to become a p!ssing contest, but it's chit like the sultan of south green bay interjecting personal jabs because he's being challenged in an area he thinks he's the "expert"  i can't imagine schools such as st norbies, for example,  have an overworked transfer department.  probably something lumped into job description held by the chief cook and bottle washer

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #658 on: September 28, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
as i have been following this "dialogue", i've got to say forgets stuff makes a lot of sense.  all of it...i don't get the angst or hostile back and forth.  i believe forget has a unique and valuable point of view being in the world of college/university academia that most of us here do not have.  that's the beauty of scoop having personalities from many walks of life with their own strengths and experiences. 

people's pov on this issue doesn't have to become a p!ssing contest, but it's chit like the sultan of south green bay interjecting personal jabs because he's being challenged in an area he thinks he's the "expert"  i can't imagine schools such as st norbies, for example,  have an overworked transfer department.  probably something lumped into job description held by the chief cook and bottle washer

You are so amusing. But not in the way you think you are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #659 on: September 28, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
cheeks-i meant no dis man...and i've been called worse, but my hygienists do the scraping,  i drill, fill and yank

Exactly my point.  Just as his remarks massively missed the mark.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #660 on: September 28, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
That has nothing to do with academics and transferring. But cool for your kid. 🙄

It has a lot to do with it, D3 transfers mean nothing...D1 transfers do.  People actually care.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #661 on: September 28, 2019, 01:20:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/kuathletics/status/1177661601467572230?s=21

Bill Self gives zero F’s.

More of a Snoop Dog reference since Snoop is at KU for their b-ball deal, but people are definitely linking the two.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
Exactly my point.  Just as his remarks massively missed the mark.

Don't be embarrassed by what you do.
There's nothing wrong with it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #663 on: September 28, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
It has a lot to do with it, D3 transfers mean nothing...D1 transfers do.  People actually care.

Cool. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #664 on: September 28, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »

So, D1 athletes help make people care.  That is interesting
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #665 on: September 28, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Don't be embarrassed by what you do.
There's nothing wrong with it.

I’m not embarrassed at all....what you described isn’t what I do any longer and haven’t for a long time...some great friends that still do and they are smart, wonderful people.  I’m just pointing out you are wrong...that's all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #666 on: September 28, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
So, D1 athletes help make people care.  That is interesting

Do people care about the Premier league more or League two?  Do people care about the NHL more, or the AHL?  Do people care about NCAA more or NAIA?  Do people care about Single A rookie ball more or the Major Leagues?

That is interesting.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #667 on: September 28, 2019, 03:53:48 PM »
More of a Snoop Dog reference since Snoop is at KU for their b-ball deal, but people are definitely linking the two.

I was thinking more with the Adidas everywhere. Not afraid to be connected to them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #668 on: September 28, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
I was thinking more with the Adidas everywhere. Not afraid to be connected to them.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235555617.html

Snoop Dogg also an Adidas guy with his own line of apparel with them.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #669 on: September 28, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
Herman, you must be older than I am. I spent 8 yrs in school taught by nuns and no one ever got rapped with a ruler. My father used to talk about this in his day, and he was born in 1897.
As far as the woman vs Felicity, it really has nothing to do with the school, but everything to do with the judge. He understands white folks with money but not poor black folks. Fairly common. A drug conviction doesn't mean she is dangerous, especially if it's for weed, which is likely statistically likely. Rehab is not a likely result. We are a nation with 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. Felicity's 2 weeks will probably have more deterrent and punitive effect than the 5 years.

%

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #670 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Herman, you must be older than I am. I spent 8 yrs in school taught by nuns and no one ever got rapped with a ruler. My father used to talk about this in his day, and he was born in 1897.
As far as the woman vs Felicity, it really has nothing to do with the school, but everything to do with the judge. He understands white folks with money but not poor black folks. Fairly common. A drug conviction doesn't mean she is dangerous, especially if it's for weed, which is likely statistically likely. Rehab is not a likely result. We are a nation with 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. Felicity's 2 weeks will probably have more deterrent and punitive effect than the 5 years.

%

Never fully bought into that stat.  There are a number of countries with terrible crime that should have more prisons, but because they don’t it skews the numbers by saying we have this chunk of the world population and prisoner population.  You should see the stats here in California the last few years since folks were let out early....crime way up as common sense folks knew would happen.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #671 on: September 28, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »

%

i'm not that old, spent grades 1-6 with nuns.  1st grade, a classmate was maybe mischievous at most and she put him under her desk at the front of the class  and kicked him for the remainder of class~20 minutes.  another time, they put one of those tall garbage cans over a students head-he/she was completely engulfed.

1 more during my tenure, they sent a kid to the office, they put her in a separate room.  school ends and they forget about her.  parents called wondering where their daughter was as she didn't get off the bus...ooopsie, eyn'a? 

if this stuff happens today, death penalty

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #672 on: September 28, 2019, 09:47:43 PM »
Never fully bought into that stat.  There are a number of countries with terrible crime that should have more prisons, but because they don’t it skews the numbers by saying we have this chunk of the world population and prisoner population.  You should see the stats here in California the last few years since folks were let out early....crime way up as common sense folks knew would happen.

🙄🙄🙄

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #673 on: September 29, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
Do people care about the Premier league more or League two?  Do people care about the NHL more, or the AHL?  Do people care about NCAA more or NAIA?  Do people care about Single A rookie ball more or the Major Leagues?

That is interesting.

Also, the Premier League, NHL, and Major League players get compensated more than their counterparts. Too bad that doesn’t happen in the NCAA example.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #674 on: September 29, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »

You are so amusing. But not in the way you think you are.

Jon, you just made his point.

In before the lock.

feedback