[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206354 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
Respectfully RC, I don't think what it's called makes a lick of difference.

In the big picture, it doesn't.  However, too many people weaponized the word, and, practically speaking, has a negative connotation.  Some people are members of the lucky sperm club.  That doesn't make them good or bad.  However, when people call them privileged, I guarantee you, it's not meant as a compliment.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »
Someone please remind me why I keep coming back to this site...
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »

Eventually, basketball season will start.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
real

I think you are 100% correct on your post. The lucky sperm club and "privilege" comparison is a great point.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2019, 01:47:03 PM »
real

I think you are 100% correct on your post. The lucky sperm club and "privilege" comparison is a great point.

Oh please.  If people started using some word other than "priviledge," people would evntually complain that it's been "weaponized" as well.  Anything to distract from actually addressing the point I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »

Oh please.  If people started using some word other than "priviledge," people would evntually complain that it's been "weaponized" as well.  Anything to distract from actually addressing the point I guess.

+1

It's sad how people worry so much about terms being "weaponized" when both sides do it all the time. Privilege is something we all have. Simply being born in this country is a type of privilege itself. It can only be weaponized if you're too thin skinned to acknowledge it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
People looking for reasons to be guilty about their good fortune will find them.

People looking for reasons to be proud or entitled about their good fortune will find them.

People looking for reasons to be envious or resentful about other's good fortune will find them.

People who are grateful for whatever life has given them are too busy being happy and generous to worry about the guilty, entitled or resentful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »
brew

My guess is you and I likely have different idea on what "doing anything to the level the playing field" looks like.

Wait ... I thought "Yes" was enough?

My answer would also be "Yes."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »
Lenny

You always bring the lumber. Entitlement and envy are two traits that make me the most angry. As you know, I fall into the grateful camp and never can pay forward the life I have been given, but I am going try my best everyday.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »
People looking for reasons to be guilty about their good fortune will find them.

People looking for reasons to be proud or entitled about their good fortune will find them.

People looking for reasons to be envious or resentful about other's good fortune will find them.

People who are grateful for whatever life has given them are too busy being happy and generous to worry about the guilty, entitled or resentful.

I mean, you're not wrong.  But telling people they should just be happy with what they have goes against thousands of years of human nature.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
MU82

I am very happy to see you, and others, doing your best to level the playing field. Many folks that I know, talk a great game and then sit on the sidelines.
For the record, I was not asking anyone for specifics on how they help. My only criteria is based on the mirror test. If you can look yourself in the eye and honestly say you are doing your part, all good by me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »

I mean, you're not wrong.  But telling people they should just be happy with what they have goes against thousands of years of human nature.

I'm not telling anyone what to do. If people want/need to cling to their guilt, pride, envy, etc., that's certainly their prerogative. All I'm saying is that I've known happy people from all stations in life - "privileged" and not. The common thread among them was gratitude. They don't have time for the other stuff.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »

In the big picture, it doesn't.  However, too many people weaponized the word, and, practically speaking, has a negative connotation.  Some people are members of the lucky sperm club.  That doesn't make them good or bad.  However, when people call them privileged, I guarantee you, it's not meant as a compliment.

unnatural carnal knowledgeing BINGO.  Damn right.  Implies they didn’t work hard, or didn’t go to school, didn’t work for crap pay, long hours, no vacations, sacrifice relationships, etc.

Some people have it really bad, some have it great.  And most of us try to work hard, be grateful for the opportunity and make the most of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:12:26 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2019, 03:30:06 PM »
Say what you will about privilege, athletes should still be able to earn on their likeness
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
Say what you will about privilege, athletes should still be able to earn on their likeness

Agree, when they leave school and become professionals.  Have at it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »

unnatural carnal knowledgeing BINGO.  Damn right.  Implies they didn’t work hard, or didn’t go to school, didn’t work for crap pay, long hours, no vacations, sacrifice relationships, etc.

Some people have it really bad, some have it great.  And most of us try to work hard, be grateful for the opportunity and make the most of it.

Nah. Members of the "lucky sperm club" just had the advantage of starting out on 1st, 2nd or 3rd base. As opposed to the batter's box. Or the dugout. Or the parking lot.

Doesn't imply anything about the work they put in getting to home plate.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2019, 04:22:19 PM »
Nah. Members of the "lucky sperm club" just had the advantage of starting out on 1st, 2nd or 3rd base. As opposed to the batter's box. Or the dugout. Or the parking lot.

Doesn't imply anything about the work they put in getting to home plate.

Exactly.
The counter-argument comes down to: "Pointing out the advantages I've been given in life makes me feel bad."
If recognizing that you've received a leg up in life because of the circumstances of your birth makes you feel like all your hard work is being questioned, that says way more about you than the person pointing out your privilege.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
Agree, when they leave school and become professionals.  Have at it.

At whatever age someone wants to pay them, including college.  Also, abolish the NCAA

The kids playing at Marquette are professionals already
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »
At whatever age someone wants to pay them, including college.  Also, abolish the NCAA

The obsession of some to retain sham amateurism for college athletes reminds me of the same about Olympic athletes 20 years ago.

As was the case for Olympic athletes back then, there really was no level playing field because there was so much cheating being perpetrated by the most powerful. And the NCAA pretends to be outraged now, just as the IOC did back then.

The mock concern that the playing field will somehow become unbalanced if college athletes are allowed to benefit from their own likenesses -- as every other college student can -- is cute.

Better to keep all the power in the hands of the already rich and powerful, and keep the worker bees nice and servile.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »
The obsession of some to retain sham amateurism for college athletes reminds me of the same about Olympic athletes 20 years ago.

As was the case for Olympic athletes back then, there really was no level playing field because there was so much cheating being perpetrated by the most powerful. And the NCAA pretends to be outraged now, just as the IOC did back then.

The mock concern that the playing field will somehow become unbalanced if college athletes are allowed to benefit from their own likenesses -- as every other college student can -- is cute.

Better to keep all the power in the hands of the already rich and powerful, and keep the worker bees nice and servile.

Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, all of them make money and the system hasn't come toppling down. Something tells me college sports will survive, and college basketball may actually be better for it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, all of them make money and the system hasn't come toppling down. Something tells me college sports will survive, and college basketball may actually be better for it.

For many, their earning ability will never be higher

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
Exactly.
The counter-argument comes down to: "Pointing out the advantages I've been given in life makes me feel bad."
If recognizing that you've received a leg up in life because of the circumstances of your birth makes you feel like all your hard work is being questioned, that says way more about you than the person pointing out your privilege.

You (and jesmu84) are spot on.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
Cheeks is good for Scoop ratings...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »

No they aren’t.  By your standards, high school athletes are professional and that is equally false.

feedback