collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129170 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #700 on: December 19, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »
Difference is playing in the Pro Bowl is worth a minimum $39K (and $67K if your team wins).
Decent reward for a free trip and half-a--ing your way through a football game.

Unfortunately, half-arsing can lead to injury, just as "whole-arsing" can. I'm gonna date myself here, but I remember when the best safety in the NFL at the time, the Dolphins' Dick Anderson, blew out his knee in the Pro Bowl. (I was a big Dolphins fan back then.) He was never the same again.

This article mentions that injury, and talks in general about the Pro Bowl. It's a half-arse game, but you can't play a football game without some violence. And violence leads to injury: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-xpm-2010-01-26-fl-hyde-pro-bowl-0127-20100126-story.html

All games are exhibition games as amateurs...ban them all...the entire seasons.  This must not stand

Dribble. I doubt you even know what you're blathering about there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #701 on: December 19, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »

Exhibition games = no comp for college players.

Regular season games = no comp for college players.

Thus, all games the same conditions of payment exist.  A player can be hurt in a bowl game or in a game against St Mary’s of the poor or Alabama....all exist.

We should just not have them play in any games.  Right?  To use the logic here, why should MU players play against Grambling if some here say they shouldn’t play in a NIT game?  Why should a football player play in a preseason game any more?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #702 on: December 19, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
Exhibition games = no comp for college players.

Regular season games = no comp for college players.

Thus, all games the same conditions of payment exist.  A player can be hurt in a bowl game or in a game against St Mary’s of the poor or Alabama....all exist.

We should just not have them play in any games.  Right?  To use the logic here, why should MU players play against Grambling if some here say they shouldn’t play in a NIT game?  Why should a football player play in a preseason game any more?

More dribble.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #703 on: December 19, 2019, 09:30:30 PM »
Friday, December, 20th
Bahamas Bowl  : Buffalo vs. Charlotte   1:00 pm   ESPN

Frisco Bowl  : Kent State vs. Utah State   6:30 pm   ESPN2

Saturday, December, 21st
New Mexico Bowl  : Central Michigan vs. San Diego State   1:00 pm   ESPN

Cure Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Liberty   1:30 pm   CBSSN

Boca Bowl  : Florida Atlantic vs. SMU   2:30 pm   ABC

Camellia Bowl  : Arkansas State vs. Florida International   4:30 pm   ESPN

Las Vegas Bowl  : Boise State vs. Washington   6:30 pm   ABC

New Orleans Bowl  : Appalachian State vs. UAB   8:00 pm   ESPN

Monday, December, 23rd
Gasparilla Bowl  : Marshall vs. UCF   1:30 pm   ESPN

Tuesday, December, 24th
Hawaii Bowl  : BYU vs. Hawaii   7:00 pm   ESPN
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #704 on: December 19, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »
Unfortunately, half-arsing can lead to injury, just as "whole-arsing" can. I'm gonna date myself here, but I remember when the best safety in the NFL at the time, the Dolphins' Dick Anderson, blew out his knee in the Pro Bowl. (I was a big Dolphins fan back then.) He was never the same again.

This article mentions that injury, and talks in general about the Pro Bowl. It's a half-arse game, but you can't play a football game without some violence. And violence leads to injury: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-xpm-2010-01-26-fl-hyde-pro-bowl-0127-20100126-story.html

don't forget Robert Edwards who ripped up his knee and ended his NFL career at the Pro Bowl flag football game on the beach. He almost had his lower leg amputated from it. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #705 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
Unfortunately, half-arsing can lead to injury, just as "whole-arsing" can.

I'm not arguing for or against the Pro Bowl (it's dumb and useless, IM0), just pointing out that there is financial incentive for participating, unlike in college bowl games.
The fact that Dick Anderson (early 70s) and Robert Edwards (1999) are the only notable pro bowl injuries you guys can offer in the nearly 70 years of the event- and Edwards wasn't even in the game itself - illustrates exactly how infinitesimal the risk of serious injury is.
I have no issue with any player who decided to skip the Pro Bowl to avoid that risk, but let's not pretend the Pro Bowl is as dangerous as a real NFL game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #706 on: December 20, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »
don't forget Robert Edwards who ripped up his knee and ended his NFL career at the Pro Bowl flag football game on the beach. He almost had his lower leg amputated from it.

We were the sponsor of that game.  It was a terrible, freak injury.  From that point forward the beach game was only for retired players mixed with celebs and coed....done the day before the Super Bowl.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #707 on: December 20, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
I'm not arguing for or against the Pro Bowl (it's dumb and useless, IM0), just pointing out that there is financial incentive for participating, unlike in college bowl games.
The fact that Dick Anderson (early 70s) and Robert Edwards (1999) are the only notable pro bowl injuries you guys can offer in the nearly 70 years of the event- and Edwards wasn't even in the game itself - illustrates exactly how infinitesimal the risk of serious injury is.
I have no issue with any player who decided to skip the Pro Bowl to avoid that risk, but let's not pretend the Pro Bowl is as dangerous as a real NFL game.

Fair enough. And they all know it going in. All they have to do is say their back or toe or wrist hurts and they won't have to play. It used to be a bigger deal to get invited when it was in Hawaii.

And your financial incentive point is well-stated. For college kids it's a financial disincentive!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #708 on: December 20, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »
More dribble.

Except you know logically it is correct.  Why are MU BBall players playing against Grambling in December but some of our fans here saying not worth risk to play against Canisius in the NIT? 

Only difference is the time of year it is played.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:23:05 PM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: December 20, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
Accept you know logically it is correct.  Why are MU BBall players playing against Grambling in December but some of our fans here saying not worth risk to play against Canisius in the NIT? 

Only difference is the time of year it is played.

It's a silly hypothetical, but sure I'll play along because it's just so much fun dealing with an irritant who will argue for the sake of arguing about any subject.

If a Marquette player is a pro prospect, and he decides to not play against Canisius -- or any other team -- in the NIT, I, for one, will not think lesser of him at all.

Why should that same pro prospect play in regular-season games against Grambling or any other opponent? Because he needs to show NBA scouts what he can do. But if he already had demonstrated enough to clinch his financial well-being ... well, let's just say I have no problem with James Wiseman pulling the plug on his college experience. And had Zion decided not to return last season, even with an NCAA title on the line, I would have applauded his decision.

Athletes have very finite careers. They are not earning a dime for playing college sports. They need to protect their main asset -- their athletic ability.

Of course, basketball isn't football, where there is a violent collision just about every play, but I still wouldn't think any lesser of any basketball player who puts his tens of millions -- or hundreds of millions -- of dollars in front of the college basketball experience.

Indeed, isn't that what every college athlete who goes pro before he graduates doing? Didn't Henry Ellenson put his financial concerns ahead of Marquette basketball by choosing to leave before his 4 years were up? Was what he did "better" than what Wiseman did or what McCaffrey did because Ellenson played all the way to the end of the season? That's a matter of opinion. Ed McCaffrey, Christian's dad, would say no.

Would the Marquette player who decides not to go against Grambling be "worse" than the App State football coach who decides to bolt for Mizzou before his team's bowl game? Do you have problems, in general, with coaches who bolt before their bowl games? If not, why not?

Now, a better question is: Why does hoopaloop love being an irritant, arguing for the sake of arguing about practically every subject?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #710 on: December 20, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »
It's a silly hypothetical, but sure I'll play along because it's just so much fun dealing with an irritant who will argue for the sake of arguing about any subject.

If a Marquette player is a pro prospect, and he decides to not play against Canisius -- or any other team -- in the NIT, I, for one, will not think lesser of him at all.

Why should that same pro prospect play in regular-season games against Grambling or any other opponent? Because he needs to show NBA scouts what he can do. But if he already had demonstrated enough to clinch his financial well-being ... well, let's just say I have no problem with James Wiseman pulling the plug on his college experience. And had Zion decided not to return last season, even with an NCAA title on the line, I would have applauded his decision.

Athletes have very finite careers. They are not earning a dime for playing college sports. They need to protect their main asset -- their athletic ability.

Yup, they need to protect those finite careers with the time they have....they should be load managing themselves apparently.  I'm just pointing out the illogical consistency of your claim.  I prefer they play in every game, but if you start picking and choosing which games to play in then you might as well not play in any of the games that are against lowly opponents.  You think a NBA scout is going to care more about what they did against Grambling than what they did against Villanova?  Of course not, so that argument of yours is ridiculous. 

Don't want to play in a bowl game...fine...then you shouldn't be playing against cupcakes in the beginning of the year either.  Guess what the real difference is...POWER.  At the beginning of the year the coach can sit your arse down if you don't want to play.  At the end of the season they cannot.  That's the difference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: December 20, 2019, 09:10:09 PM »

Yup, they need to protect those finite careers with the time they have....they should be load managing themselves apparently.  I'm just pointing out the illogical consistency of your claim.  I prefer they play in every game, but if you start picking and choosing which games to play in then you might as well not play in any of the games that are against lowly opponents.  You think a NBA scout is going to care more about what they did against Grambling than what they did against Villanova?  Of course not, so that argument of yours is ridiculous. 

Don't want to play in a bowl game...fine...then you shouldn't be playing against cupcakes in the beginning of the year either.  Guess what the real difference is...POWER.  At the beginning of the year the coach can sit your arse down if you don't want to play.  At the end of the season they cannot.  That's the difference.

Dribble.

Also, recommend you seek help for your Erin Andrews obsession. And Erin probably should seek a restraining order against you.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #712 on: December 26, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »
Friday, December, 27th
Military Bowl  : North Carolina vs. Temple   11:00 am   ESPN

Pinstripe Bowl  : Michigan State vs. Wake Forest   2:20 pm   ESPN

Texas Bowl  : Oklahoma State vs. Texas A&M   5:45 pm   ESPN

Holiday Bowl: Iowa vs. USC   7:00 pm   FS1

Cheez-it Bowl  : Air Force vs. Washington State   9:15 p ESPN
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #713 on: December 28, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
Saturday, December, 28th
Camping World Bowl  : Iowa State vs. Notre Dame   11:00 am   ABC

Cotton Bowl  : Memphis vs. Penn State   11:00 am   ESPN

CFP Semifinal - Peach Bowl  : LSU vs. Oklahoma   3:00 pm   ESPN

CFP Semifinal - Fiesta Bowl  : Clemson vs. Ohio State   7:00 pm   ESPN
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #714 on: December 28, 2019, 08:56:37 AM »
Saturday, December, 28th
Camping World Bowl  : Iowa State vs. Notre Dame   11:00 am   ABC

Cotton Bowl  : Memphis vs. Penn State   11:00 am   ESPN

CFP Semifinal - Peach Bowl  : LSU vs. Oklahoma   3:00 pm   ESPN

CFP Semifinal - Fiesta Bowl  : Clemson vs. Ohio State   7:00 pm   ESPN

Finally, two bowl games I'll spend a few minutes watching!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #715 on: December 28, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
Thanks for keep on pointing out what you watch.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #716 on: December 28, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks for keep on pointing out what you watch.

Yeah, sorry. Just happy to have a couple games worth watching. I won't bother y'all again.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #717 on: December 28, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
Yeah, sorry. Just happy to have a couple games worth watching. I won't bother y'all again.

Bowl games are great for gamblers.  Mostly to chase the dragon
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #718 on: December 28, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
Hopefully, your minutes have stopped. What a performance by LSU. Oklahoma players still talking trash after nearly every play too....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #719 on: December 28, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
Hopefully, your minutes have stopped. What a performance by LSU. Oklahoma players still talking trash after nearly every play too....

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'm in another room, and I walk in to watch the replay every time I hear, "Touchdown, LSU!"

I was glad Bama didn't make the playoffs, but they wouldn't have gone out like this, methinks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #720 on: December 28, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »

then you shouldn't be playing against cupcakes in the beginning of the year either.

So, assuming Koby is healthy enough to play on Wednesday, was he wise to sit out today?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #721 on: December 28, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm at the point where I'm in another room, and I walk in to watch the replay every time I hear, "Touchdown, LSU!"

I was glad Bama didn't make the playoffs, but they wouldn't have gone out like this, methinks.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401032087

MU82

• All American
« Reply #722 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401032087

True ... but this score is worse and it's just halftime!

LSU actually was kicking Bama's arse in the regular-season meeting but Bama came back to almost steal the game.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #723 on: December 28, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Wow, I don't ever remember a team getting blown out this bad in the 1st half of a Final Four game.  Ever.  Nope, I don't have any recollection.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #724 on: December 28, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
So, assuming Koby is healthy enough to play on Wednesday, was he wise to sit out today?

Koby who?

feedback