[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129119 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #625 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »
So ...

LSU, OSU, Clemson and Oklahoma, eh?

LSU is the team that has impressed me most, but I know lots of folks like Ohio State (and for good reason).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #626 on: December 07, 2019, 10:34:28 PM »
I’m on a flight with dodgy WIFI. Sucks that Wisconsin was up by 14 at half and probably went on cruise control and ran Taylor consistently en route to a comfy win. No way OSU could turn it around. Can they sneak in the playoff?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #627 on: December 07, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »

I think Becky gives OSU a run in Indy...not because Becky is somehow elite...they aren’t...but OSU is in, they know it, and 18 to 22 year old kids let their guard down.  They know they manhandled them the first time, they won’t be as focused. Still have OSU winning, but will be much closer in my opinion.

Money maker...

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #628 on: December 07, 2019, 10:47:55 PM »
I’m on a flight with dodgy WIFI. Sucks that Wisconsin was up by 14 at half and probably went on cruise control and ran Taylor consistently en route to a comfy win. No way OSU could turn it around. Can they sneak in the playoff?

On United?  Badgers did what they do:  Choked up a hair ball and got blown out in the 2nd.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #629 on: December 07, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
On United?  Badgers did what they do:  Choked up a hair ball and got blown out in the 2nd.

Yea, back from BOM. I was making a joke, the WIFI has been fine. It was hilarious to follow without even needing to watch the game. My group text with two of my friends who are Wisconsin alums got AWFULLY quite post halftime

MU82

• All American
« Reply #630 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
I'm sick of Ohio State, but I have to admit I was enjoying Wisconsin tinkling down its collective leg.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #632 on: December 08, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20727271/too-many-bowl-games

I don't whine about there being too many bowl games. I simply don't watch them. Aside from the 3 postseason games that help decide a champion, I will not watch one second of one bowl game this year -- just as I haven't for well over a decade.

As for athletes making their choices ...

Christian McCaffrey skipped Stanford's meaningless bowl game, was healthy on draft day, went 8th overall, and has gone on to be a well-paid superstar. His next contract will be a monster.

Jake Butt played in Michigan's meaningless bowl game, got hurt, and went from being a top-50 pick to not getting taken until Round 5, costing him millions of dollars. Butt reinjured his knee early in the 2018 season and has not yet been able to return. He was a "good team player" -- compared to McCaffrey, whom some considered selfish. Sadly, it's impossible to spend "good team player" compared to actual money.

I wouldn't call anybody who plays in a meaningless bowl game "stupid," just as I wouldn't say that about any player who decides to return to school for an extra year. Folks should do whatever they feel is right, knowing all the risks involved. But I certainly wouldn't call a player "selfish" for sitting out one of those exhibitions. It's exactly what I would have advised my son to do if there were tens of millions of dollars at stake.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #633 on: December 08, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »
Peach Bowl
LSU -11 Oklahoma

Fiesta Bowl
Clemson -2 Ohio State
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #634 on: December 08, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »

I think it was more like OSU took it soft, weren't ready at the start....injured QB.  Wisconsin did the best they could, but are simply outclassed in that matchup.  Just don't send the Badgers out here to Pasadena please.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #635 on: December 08, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
Peach Bowl
LSU -11 Oklahoma

Fiesta Bowl
Clemson -2 Ohio State

Interesting line for OSU

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #636 on: December 08, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
Interesting line for OSU

Yep - I'm going to be super interested in seeing what happens that over the next couple of weeks. 

My uneducated guess is that vegas likes Clemson a lot more than the general public, and isn't afraid of their soft schedule. So I think we see a bunch of square money coming in on OSU, maybe even moving this close to a pickem and then the sharps are going to move it back to Clemson by a field goal.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #637 on: December 08, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »
Georgia OL coach Sam Pittman getting the Arkansas gig, reportedly. Coached there under Bielema,

Supposed to be a top-level recruiter, but not a name that's going to get them excited in Fayetteville , I imagine.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #638 on: December 08, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
Eli Drinkwitz is close to a deal with Mizzou to be head football coach. He coached with/under Gus Malzahn (Auburn) and Bryan Harsin (Boise St.) Also had success at NC St. as an assistant before his one year head coaching success at Appalachian St. He's 36.

Mizzou AD Jim Sterk's 4 previous candidates were not received warmly by both Mizzou's Board of Curators and fans. Those names were Blake Anderson (Arkansas St), Skip Holtz (Louisiana Tech), Jeff Monken (Army), Jay Norvell (Nevada)

Sterk didn"t hire Barry Odom. Odom a popular figure at Mizzou was a Mizzou lifer, player, coach etc .. was hired by previous AD Mack Rhoades after Rhoades whiffed on many of his initial targets. Rhoades left to be AD at Baylor.

Sterk wanted power 5 experience, head coaching experience, and an offensive minded head coach. Odom is a leading candidate to take over Memphis after Mike Norvell left for Florida St.

The current AD at Appalachian St.Doug Gillin, did two stints at Mizzou, including as  Deputy AD. And of course, Memphis Athletic Director Laird Veatch spent several years as an assistant athletic director at Mizzou.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #639 on: December 08, 2019, 04:44:08 PM »
Drinkwitz spent one year as head coach after Scott Satterfield spent five years building up that program before leaving for Louisville last year.  That's always a bit of a red flag for me. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #640 on: December 08, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
Drinkwitz spent one year as head coach after Scott Satterfield spent five years building up that program before leaving for Louisville last year.  That's always a bit of a red flag for me.

True but he did well in his only season. 12-1 with wins over North Carolina and South Carolina.  Appalachian St. was good prior to Satterfield as well. The program was pretty good both before Satterfield arrived as an assistant and while he was an assistant there. It wasn't as if he built it out of nothing. They won a lot before him.

Mizzou idealistically prefers a Bryan Harsin  type (Boise St ) but Harsin type aren't interested.

When Mizzou was searching a few years back, it reached out to Matt Campbell, Matt Rhule, Tom Herman, etc....it was a more tumultuous time at Mizzou then and they couldn't land any of them. Prior to that their program as a double digit win team every 3 seasons on average with Gary Pinkel, who retired after being diagnosed with cancer

Drinkwitz has the offense, has worked with Malzahn, Harsin etc....Their fans would rather try that than those mentioned.

We'll see.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #641 on: December 08, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Mizzou AD Jim Sterk's 4 previous candidates were not received warmly by both Mizzou's Board of Curators and fans. Those names were Blake Anderson (Arkansas St), Skip Holtz (Louisiana Tech), Jeff Monken (Army), Jay Norvell (Nevada)

I can’t blame them. That list is brutal. Anderson has been fine at a Sun Belt program, but not great, and just came off an incredibly hard year in his personal life.

Skip Holtz is mediocrity personified. Won more than 9 games only once in his career and flamed out mightily in his most high profile gig.

Monken is an incredible coach, but the SEC is not the place for a triple option guy.

I think Mizzou is due for a rocky patch for awhile, but Drinkwitz at least has an intriguing pedigree. His teams will score points, that’s for sure

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #642 on: December 08, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
Drinkwitz had a very experienced Defensive Coordinator at Appalachian St St, Ted Roof. Roof was DC for Gus Malzahn for National Champion Auburn  He was with Georgia Tech twice, Minnesota, etc...lots of experience. And the running backs coach at Appalachian St is Garrett Riley, brother of Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley.

It's  apparently a done deal now, Drinkwitz to Mizzou.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:07:22 PM by shoothoops »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #643 on: December 08, 2019, 06:20:57 PM »
Ted Roof may be experienced, but he hasn't been considered very good.  He was fired at Auburn a year after the national championship (under Chizik), pushed out at Penn State, and fired again at Georgia Tech.

I'm not saying it's not going to work, and I know its a tough place to coach, but I'll be surprised.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #644 on: December 08, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
Ted Roof may be experienced, but he hasn't been considered very good.  He was fired at Auburn a year after the national championship (under Chizik), pushed out at Penn State, and fired again at Georgia Tech.

I'm not saying it's not going to work, and I know its a tough place to coach, but I'll be surprised.

I'm not saying that it will work. I am posting the things I know.

It's easy to say what won't work or that you'd be surprised if it did without providing alternatives  Who would you have hired instead?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #645 on: December 08, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
I don't whine about there being too many bowl games. I simply don't watch them. Aside from the 3 postseason games that help decide a champion, I will not watch one second of one bowl game this year -- just as I haven't for well over a decade.

As for athletes making their choices ...

Christian McCaffrey skipped Stanford's meaningless bowl game, was healthy on draft day, went 8th overall, and has gone on to be a well-paid superstar. His next contract will be a monster.

Jake Butt played in Michigan's meaningless bowl game, got hurt, and went from being a top-50 pick to not getting taken until Round 5, costing him millions of dollars. Butt reinjured his knee early in the 2018 season and has not yet been able to return. He was a "good team player" -- compared to McCaffrey, whom some considered selfish. Sadly, it's impossible to spend "good team player" compared to actual money.

I wouldn't call anybody who plays in a meaningless bowl game "stupid," just as I wouldn't say that about any player who decides to return to school for an extra year. Folks should do whatever they feel is right, knowing all the risks involved. But I certainly wouldn't call a player "selfish" for sitting out one of those exhibitions. It's exactly what I would have advised my son to do if there were tens of millions of dollars at stake.

Where would you draw the line, Mike? Should a guy who's assured of being a #1 draft choice by, say game 4 (football) or game 10 (basketball) quit to protect his status? Can't these guys get insurance policies?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #646 on: December 08, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
I'm not saying that it will work. I am posting the things I know.

It's easy to say what won't work or that you'd be surprised if it did without providing alternatives  Who would you have hired instead?

I would have tried for Luke Fickell at Cincinnati.  He's a great recruiter who has developed into a solid coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #647 on: December 08, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
I would have tried for Luke Fickell at Cincinnati.  He's a great recruiter who has developed into a solid coach.

Worth a try, but Fickell has never worked outside Ohio. He may just wait at Cincy for the next good Big 10 opening (like one of the jobs in Michigan).

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #648 on: December 08, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »

Fickell can probably be patient.  I think he might be the longest tenured coach in the AAC now, lol
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #649 on: December 08, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
I just think good coaches are going to be good coaches wherever.  But he may just be waiting for Illinois, Michigan State or something similar.