collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129102 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #475 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
A one loss Minnesota would have beaten Ohio State so both Minny and Bama would likely get in. That said, Minny isn’t beating OSU
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #476 on: November 25, 2019, 04:15:58 AM »
A one loss Minnesota would have beaten Ohio State so both Minny and Bama would likely get in. That said, Minny isn’t beating OSU

OSU will get in with a championship game loss. A one loss Minnesota team is more deserving than one loss Alabama but that’s not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #477 on: November 25, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
8 team playoff. P5 champions + 3 at large (determined by committee). Boom, done.
I would be for that format. Yet, I hear helmet heads against that. "We can't have a 9-4 Big Ten Champ Northwstern in the playoff."
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #478 on: November 25, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
OSU will get in with a championship game loss. A one loss Minnesota team is more deserving than one loss Alabama but that’s not happening.

Why, because it has been forever?  Bama plays Minnesota...who wins?  Bama, going away.

Uw Madison extension beats Minnesota this week.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #479 on: November 25, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Because Minnesota's two best wins (OSU and PSU), and arguably even their third best win (UW), would be better than any of Alabama's.  Right now Real Time RPI has Minnesota at 11 and Alabama at 7.  If UM beats UW and OSU, and Bama only beats Auburn, they would be ahead.

And if Minnesota can beat OSU, they can most certainly beat Alabama.  (It doesn't matter because they won't beat OSU in my opinion.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #480 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »
Because Minnesota's two best wins (OSU and PSU), and arguably even their third best win (UW), would be better than any of Alabama's.  Right now Real Time RPI has Minnesota at 11 and Alabama at 7.  If UM beats UW and OSU, and Bama only beats Auburn, they would be ahead.

And if Minnesota can beat OSU, they can most certainly beat Alabama.  (It doesn't matter because they won't beat OSU in my opinion.)

If Minny beats OSU, fine...it isn't going to happen so I'm not going to worry about it.  I also believe that most in this country would say putting Minny and Bama on the field together, Minny is going to lose.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #481 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
If Minny beats OSU, fine...it isn't going to happen so I'm not going to worry about it.  I also believe that most in this country would say putting Minny and Bama on the field together, Minny is going to lose.

Well of course they're going to say that.  *I* would say that.  But that's not what the Committee is supposed to do. 

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx

A one loss, Big Ten Champion should make it over a one loss, SEC West runner-up.  Especially if it gets to that point, their strength of schedules would be relatively the same.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #482 on: November 25, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
No mention of another Yale-Harvard rivalry football classic ending with a 17-pt 4th Qtr comeback by Yale and then winning in the in 2nd OT practically in the dark. (The Yale Bowl does not have lights after 105 years of use (and they're actually coming with a bubble next year).)
The game also included a 1-hour delay due to an on-field climate change protest that saw actor Sam Waterson arrested among others.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #483 on: November 25, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »
absolutely scathing editorial and another story on fed up bootsters on Rutgers after they chased off their #1 choice for the HC job (who also happens to be the only coach in the modern era to be successful there). Though even if they remain a bottom feeder program Delaney and the Big Ten will be happy with the BTN money they are bringing in.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/11/white-flag-not-white-smoke-rutgers-kills-big-time-football-dream-with-greg-schiano-fiasco-politi.html

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/11/rutgers-football-boosters-say-pat-hobbs-is-to-blame-for-breakdown-in-greg-schiano-deal.html

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #484 on: November 25, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
I don't doubt that Rutgers athletic department is a travesty, but I also can't imagine being upset that my donations won't go to pay Greg Schiano.  I can't imagine what its like to be a Rutgers booster, I guess is what I'm saying.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #485 on: November 25, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
absolutely scathing editorial and another story on fed up bootsters on Rutgers after they chased off their #1 choice for the HC job (who also happens to be the only coach in the modern era to be successful there). Though even if they remain a bottom feeder program Delaney and the Big Ten will be happy with the BTN money they are bringing in.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/11/white-flag-not-white-smoke-rutgers-kills-big-time-football-dream-with-greg-schiano-fiasco-politi.html

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/11/rutgers-football-boosters-say-pat-hobbs-is-to-blame-for-breakdown-in-greg-schiano-deal.html

Here's my feeling.  Schiano was undoubtedly successful in the Rutgers scheme of things.  He finished his career there one game over .500 playing a much weaker schedule than they face now.  But I don't think he's a great coach.  I don't think he is what they need moving forward. 

They need a young, hungry guy with connections to the area.  They need their Matt Rhule (who Rutgers could have had when they hired Chris Ash).  Now I have no idea who that could be...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #486 on: November 25, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »

Classic example if you are going to fire someone the backup plan better be rock solid. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #487 on: November 25, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »
No mention of another Yale-Harvard rivalry football classic ending with a 17-pt 4th Qtr comeback by Yale and then winning in the in 2nd OT practically in the dark. (The Yale Bowl does not have lights after 105 years of use (and they're actually coming with a bubble next year).)
The game also included a 1-hour delay due to an on-field climate change protest that saw actor Sam Waterson arrested among others.

I’m glad for the arrests and anytime these crazies do this to piss off more people, I say keep on doing it...loudly and proudly...keep on doing it for all to see.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #488 on: November 25, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »
I’m glad for the arrests and anytime these crazies do this to piss off more people, I say keep on doing it...loudly and proudly...keep on doing it for all to see.

You should’ve driven your dope ass big, loud, environmentally unfriendly pickup right onto that field and revved that engine to get all that exhaust into the air right in front of those crazies. Put them in their place.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #489 on: November 25, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
Classic example if you are going to fire someone the backup plan better be rock solid.

they had to fire the previous guy but man, when you float immediately who you're after and screw it up then you really look incompetent.

Nobody is going to cry for Ash to return but any hire is going to be "not Schiano."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #490 on: November 25, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »

Actually all was good.  It was jointly planned between Harvard & Yale students and alumni.  Waterson is a Yale grad and was asked to participate.
Police gave time for those to decide to leave.  Most protesters walked off after about an hour; those who remained were charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #491 on: November 25, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Actually all was good.  It was jointly planned between Harvard & Yale students and alumni.  Waterson is a Yale grad and was asked to participate.
Police gave time for those to decide to leave.  Most protesters walked off after about an hour; those who remained were charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Didn't see an issue with it.  It's not like there was any destruction of property or violence like when groups such as the Proud Boys and Antifa get together to act like savages.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #492 on: November 25, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »

Nuisance.  Game was on tv, people make plans for game to start and be home at a specific time.  I just hope they are all living the chaste climate life they want to push on everyone, which I will bet my house they most certainly are not.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #493 on: November 25, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
Nuisance.  Game was on tv, people make plans for game to start and be home at a specific time.  I just hope they are all living the chaste climate life they want to push on everyone, which I will bet my house they most certainly are not.

Maybe in soccer where you know each half is going to be 45 minutes (plus around 8-10 minutes of stoppage time) and half-time 15, but football always has variables when it comes to the length of the game.  Style of play (I went to a college game between two spread offense teams and because of the number of passes and incompletions the game lasted over four hours), overtime, scoring, etc.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #494 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
Yes.  God forbid that the youth protest something important to them because people could be nuisanced attending a sporting event.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #495 on: November 25, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »

I know RPI is virtually worthless in CBB. Honest question: Is it any better for CFB?

Sagerin has OSU, Clemson, Alabama and LSU as his top 4. Minnesota is 20th. Seems about right.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:09:53 PM by Lennys Tap »

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #496 on: November 25, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
What kind of a share does Harvard-Yale do?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #497 on: November 26, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
The game didn't rate in the top 150. So, I don't have a number.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #498 on: November 26, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »

are we talking ratings or arrogance and sense of entitlement?  That latter is through the roof.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:04:01 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #499 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »

Low, but for a person that has an interest in watching it...matters to them...right?  The stadium has no lights, the game went to 2OT, you could hardly see at the end of the game. 

Sunset was 4:26pm, the game ended at 4:38pm with fans complaining you could not see the action at that point.  Player safety etc.