collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129077 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #450 on: November 16, 2019, 09:36:24 PM »
So much for Minnesota. Looks like the battle for the Axe this year will also be for Big Ten West title.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #451 on: November 16, 2019, 11:13:40 PM »
Tua obviously was not 100% going into the game. Did Saban put the athletes' career in jeopardy?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #452 on: November 16, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
Tua obviously was not 100% going into the game. Did Saban put the athletes' career in jeopardy?

No

MU82

• All American
« Reply #453 on: November 16, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »
No

Why do you say that so definitively?

I certainly don't think Saban intentionally did so, and I like to think Tua had full medical clearance to play.

But coaches do say quite often that they won't play anybody who isn't "healthy."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #454 on: November 17, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »
Why do you say that so definitively?

I certainly don't think Saban intentionally did so, and I like to think Tua had full medical clearance to play.

But coaches do say quite often that they won't play anybody who isn't "healthy."

Because Tua having a gimpy ankle had no role in two guys landing on him awkwardly, leading to a freak hip injury.

You've made quite clear here previously you're no Nick Saban fan - which is totally fine - but I suspect you may be letting that shade your feelings here.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #455 on: November 17, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »
The interesting thing here is that people who are advocating that Alabama be one of the final four, not necessarily because of what they accomplish on the f

ield, but because they pass the "eye test" now really can't support that without Tua.

So here is where I stand at this point with the CFP

LSU - lock no matter how they perform in the SEC Championship
Ohio State - assuming they win out (which won't be easy with PSU and UM coming up), lock no matter how they play in B10 champ.
Clemson - needs to win out.
Georgia - only if they win out and win SEC Championship
Pac Ten Champion if Utah and Oregon win out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »
If Bama wins out and looks good against Auburn they’ll have a chance depending on how the rest of the chips fall.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #457 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
Because Tua having a gimpy ankle had no role in two guys landing on him awkwardly, leading to a freak hip injury.

You've made quite clear here previously you're no Nick Saban fan - which is totally fine - but I suspect you may be letting that shade your feelings here.

Re your last sentence, you're probably right.

Re your first sentence, you might be right, but we'll never really know. That he had a gimpy ankle might have prevented him from escaping those guys or at least putting himself in position to not be tackled the same way by them.

But I do get your point, and I thank you for explaining it.

I wish the best for Tua, and hope he has a full recovery. I also wish that he had been able to ply his craft in the NFL this season for millions and millions of dollars instead of at Bama for slightly more than bupkis.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #458 on: November 17, 2019, 03:39:44 PM »
The interesting thing here is that people who are advocating that Alabama be one of the final four, not necessarily because of what they accomplish on the f

ield, but because they pass the "eye test" now really can't support that without Tua.

So here is where I stand at this point with the CFP

LSU - lock no matter how they perform in the SEC Championship
Ohio State - assuming they win out (which won't be easy with PSU and UM coming up), lock no matter how they play in B10 champ.
Clemson - needs to win out.
Georgia - only if they win out and win SEC Championship
Pac Ten Champion if Utah and Oregon win out.

Alabama needs a lot of help.  I don’t dismiss them because a backup QB will be starting.  If they win out, they have a chance but needs a lot of help as you state.  Given how the end of the year can be chaotic, it’s not far-fetched
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
Tuna expected to make full recovery
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Tuna expected to make full recovery
dolphin safe?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #462 on: November 23, 2019, 09:13:01 PM »
Would like to see what would happen if Oregon loses tonight and then wins out, Wisconsin or Minnesota beats O$U in the B1G title game, and Georgia wins out. Would be hilarious to put 3 SEC teams in the CFP, but don’t see how they could do it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #463 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
Would like to see what would happen if Oregon loses tonight and then wins out, Wisconsin or Minnesota beats O$U in the B1G title game, and Georgia wins out. Would be hilarious to put 3 SEC teams in the CFP, but don’t see how they could do it.

They could take a one loss Big 12 champion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #464 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
Btw Justin Herbert returning for his senior season wasn’t a smart decision.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #465 on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
They could take a one loss Big 12 champion.

True, kind of forgot about the Big 12. If Oklahoma won out I think they’d get in. I also think O$U would get in over 3 SEC teams, but I’d just be intrigued to see what they’d do.  If OU loses again and all that plays out my guess would be Bama left out and O$U makes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #466 on: November 24, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
Has Clay Helton done enough to keep his job at USC?  He finished 8-4 with still a chance at the P12 championship game.  (If Utah loses at home to Colorado.) My guess is he's still gone. The Pac 12 is mediocre and recruiting stinks.  And if you indeed have Urban Meyer waiting in the wings, you'd be dumb not to hire him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #467 on: November 24, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
Btw Justin Herbert returning for his senior season wasn’t a smart decision.

Maybe we should see where he is drafted.  Kid also said he wanted to play this year rather than sit. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 24, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #469 on: November 24, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
Even Northwestern's future quarterbacks suck.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-high-school-quarterback-arrested-195611174.html

I see the “Aidan Generation” has reached college age.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #470 on: November 24, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
True, kind of forgot about the Big 12. If Oklahoma won out I think they’d get in. I also think O$U would get in over 3 SEC teams, but I’d just be intrigued to see what they’d do.  If OU loses again and all that plays out my guess would be Bama left out and O$U makes it.

The problem is that if Bama beats Auburn, that will be their best win of the year. And even that’s not that great if you look at the rest of their schedule.

I would think if either Baylor or Oklahoma win out, and they play one another in the B12 championship game, they should be in before Bama.

So here is where I stand

1. LSU is a lock as long as they win one of the next two.

2. Ditto Ohio State

3. Clemson has to win out

4. UGa is in if they beat Tech and win the SEC Championship

5. One loss B12 Champion is next if one of the above doesn’t occur.

6. Minnesota if they win out

7. Alabama if they beat Auburn

8. Utah if they win out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 24, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
The problem is that if Bama beats Auburn, that will be their best win of the year. And even that’s not that great if you look at the rest of their schedule.

I would think if either Baylor or Oklahoma win out, and they play one another in the B12 championship game, they should be in before Bama.

So here is where I stand

1. LSU is a lock as long as they win one of the next two.

2. Ditto Ohio State

3. Clemson has to win out

4. UGa is in if they beat Tech and win the SEC Championship

5. One loss B12 Champion is next if one of the above doesn’t occur.

6. Minnesota if they win out

7. Alabama if they beat Auburn

8. Utah if they win out.

On the flip side, Bama's worst loss would be by 5 points to the #1 team, in a game less than three weeks after their star QB had surgery and clearly wasn't 100 percent.
By contrast, Oklahoma and Georgia lost to teams that are unranked, and Minnesota and Utah have losses to teams that are borderline top 20. Clearly Alabama would have the "best" loss of the 1-loss teams.
I get wanting to reward teams for scheduling tougher opponents, but this seems like punishing Alabama because the SEC West wasn't as good this year as season's past.
Minnesota lost to a team barely in the top 20, Oklahoma lost to a team that's unranked,
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:04:08 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #472 on: November 24, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
8 team playoff. P5 champions + 3 at large (determined by committee). Boom, done.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #473 on: November 24, 2019, 03:35:26 PM »
If Bama wins and Georgia loses, Bama is in.  Bama is ranked 5th right now in the CFP. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2019, 10:01:14 PM »
8 team playoff. P5 champions + 3 at large (determined by committee). Boom, done.

Yes, but that's not how it's done. Fun to talk about, though.

As for this year ...

There is absolutely no way 1-loss Minnesota gets in ahead of 1-loss Alabama.