[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129084 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #325 on: November 03, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
Venebles doesn’t recruit.

He was Rivals top recruiter in 2016
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #326 on: November 03, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
Going after Clemson coordinators, any of them, would be a prudent move.  Brent Venables would be a slam dunk

Taggert was a slam dunk.  Amazing how many slam dunks end up chunking off the back rim.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #327 on: November 03, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
He was Rivals top recruiter in 2016

Yeah I was thinking of someone else. My bad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #328 on: November 03, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of someone else. My bad.

I mean, he has the Clemson bagman to help things along but I’m sure he could find plenty in Tallahassee
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
From what I can tell, Taggart's salary was $5M per season. That means that FSU will end up paying about $8 million for the time he was their coach (about a year and a half). Between paying him to go away ($17.5M), the Oregon buyout ($3M), and the remainder of the South Florida buyout they agreed to pay ($1.3), FSU will pay $21.8M total.  That's about $30M for a year and a half of Willie Taggart.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #330 on: November 04, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
From what I can tell, Taggart's salary was $5M per season. That means that FSU will end up paying about $8 million for the time he was their coach (about a year and a half). Between paying him to go away ($17.5M), the Oregon buyout ($3M), and the remainder of the South Florida buyout they agreed to pay ($1.3), FSU will pay $21.8M total.  That's about $30M for a year and a half of Willie Taggart.

ESPN said that boosters came up with $20 million.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »
ESPN said that boosters came up with $20 million.

Interesting

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #332 on: November 04, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »

Idiots.  I'd have done it for 10% of that.  Hell, maybe 5%.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #333 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #334 on: November 04, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Sports Illustrated in 2017 rated the football hires (20 of them)

Scott Frost best hire.
Chip Kelly 2nd
Taggart 5th

Florida State: Willie Taggart (4.0)

Splash quotient: 4
Geography: 5
Stylistic fit: 4
Execution: 3
Instant impact: 4

This one makes perfect sense. Taggart has major recruiting inroads in Florida and the rest of the Southeast from his time at USF and Western Kentucky, and being a former prep standout from Bradenton doesn’t hurt, either. His name was in the conversation for the Florida State job weeks before Jimbo Fisher decided to leave, even if Taggart’s teams have never reached the heights Florida State routinely expects.

Most of the drama at Florida State came before the coaching search began, as the uncertainty over Fisher’s future dragged, but once the coach bolted to Texas A&M, the Seminoles handled their hire swiftly—although Taggart left Oregon in lurch about his future plans for several days, souring some around the program.

Florida State struggled after Deondre Francois went down this year and has been criticized for playing too traditional (read: slow) of a scheme since Jameis Winston left for the NFL. Taggart is describing his approach for the Seminoles as “lethal simplicity,” which purports to be the opposite of Fisher’s attack. If he can achieve that simple, fast-paced offense, Florida State will be on the right track, and with a roster packed with as many athletes as the Seminoles, he has the personnel to do it.

Sonny Dykes at SMU was way down the list.  Herm Edwards was ranked last

All of these too early to judge, just stating where SI had them

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #335 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »
FWIW, FSU is denying that boosters came up with $20M.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999505/florida-state-fires-willie-taggart

Someone help me understand - why would they deny that boosters came up with the (new) money? That's the only way a public university paying that kind of money for that kind of decision is even remotely defensible.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Willie Taggart our at Florida State.

Not a surprise.  He just wasn't the white fit for that fan base.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #337 on: November 04, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »
Someone help me understand - why would they deny that boosters came up with the (new) money? That's the only way a public university paying that kind of money for that kind of decision is even remotely defensible.

They money was raised to support FSU athletics.  They will use it to pay his buy out.

Simply saying "we raised money to buy him out" may sound too much like a personal gift, which would call those deductions into question.  They're likely simply being extra careful with their words.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #338 on: November 04, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
While nobody is denying Taggart made a bunch of mistakes this year, people are overlooking that Taggart walked into a situation not unlike when Buzz left Marquette.  Jimbo had a nice run, but he left for more than just money.  He left a dumpster fire of a situation with recruiting lapses everywhere.  Sure its FSU, but it was still a rebuilding job.  Herm Edwards is doing "fine" at ASU, but he walked into a decent program that was just kind of flat lining with Todd Graham, it wasn't bottoming out.  Sonny Dykes had been pretty terrible at Cal, but he was out of his element.  Got back to the sort of Texas-centric scenario he had excelled at at Louisiana Tech, and he was back at it.

If Taggart had gotten the same short leash at USF, he never would have turned the program around like he did.  But FSU has to be careful what they wish for, provided they don't get Meyer, they are going to have far less marquee options than they think.  Is this the big second chance for Lane Kiffin?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: November 04, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »

They money was raised to support FSU athletics.  They will use it to pay his buy out.

Simply saying "we raised money to buy him out" may sound too much like a personal gift, which would call those deductions into question.  They're likely simply being extra careful with their words.

This.

Not a surprise.  He just wasn't the white fit for that fan base.

Well, they did know he was black when they hired him.

I do think I remember seeing data showing that black coaches in various sports are more likely to be sacked more quickly than white counterparts with similar records, but I am too lazy to look it up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
While nobody is denying Taggart made a bunch of mistakes this year, people are overlooking that Taggart walked into a situation not unlike when Buzz left Marquette.  Jimbo had a nice run, but he left for more than just money.  He left a dumpster fire of a situation with recruiting lapses everywhere.  Sure its FSU, but it was still a rebuilding job.  Herm Edwards is doing "fine" at ASU, but he walked into a decent program that was just kind of flat lining with Todd Graham, it wasn't bottoming out.  Sonny Dykes had been pretty terrible at Cal, but he was out of his element.  Got back to the sort of Texas-centric scenario he had excelled at at Louisiana Tech, and he was back at it.

If Taggart had gotten the same short leash at USF, he never would have turned the program around like he did.  But FSU has to be careful what they wish for, provided they don't get Meyer, they are going to have far less marquee options than they think.  Is this the big second chance for Lane Kiffin?

Fair points about what Taggart inherited, but after 2+ seasons he'd done little with recruiting or on the field to show progress, and was even regressing.
I don't think they have a chance at Meyer, but I could be absolutely wrong about that. Matt Thomas would be a good fit there, or maybe PJ Fleck. But I don't know if those guys would be seen as too "small time" for the FSU fan base.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2019, 02:00:22 PM »
Fair points about what Taggart inherited, but after 2+ seasons he'd done little with recruiting or on the field to show progress, and was even regressing.
I don't think they have a chance at Meyer, but I could be absolutely wrong about that. Matt Thomas would be a good fit there, or maybe PJ Fleck. But I don't know if those guys would be seen as too "small time" for the FSU fan base.

Do you mean Matt Rhule?  Because I think he would be a great choice by FSU.  He's won at places as different as Temple and Baylor.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #342 on: November 04, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »

Do you mean Matt Rhule?  Because I think he would be a great choice by FSU.  He's won at places as different as Temple and Baylor.

I think Rhule has his sights set on something a bit higher than Florida State, namely the NFL.
Remember, the Jets job was his last year if he wanted to play by management's rules (no pun intended), and that was after an 8-17 start at Baylor.
It would be an upset in my mind if he's not coaching in the pros next year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
OK, but I don't know who you mean by Matt Thomas.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #344 on: November 04, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
OK, but I don't know who you mean by Matt Thomas.

Matt Campbell.
My bad.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #345 on: November 04, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »
This.

Well, they did know he was black when they hired him.

I do think I remember seeing data showing that black coaches in various sports are more likely to be sacked more quickly than white counterparts with similar records, but I am too lazy to look it up.

Administration and fan base/boosters are quite different when it comes to patience with minority coaches (especially when the program has not had one before). Texas's biggest donor, Red McCombs, called Charlie Strong's hire a "kick in the face" was as pushing for him to be fired before he coached a game at UT.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #346 on: November 04, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »
Matt Campbell.
My bad.

Matt Campbell is an interesting, albeit not sexy, name.  He was successful for a good period of time at Toledo and has been consistent at ISU, which isn't an easy place to win.

PJ Fleck to me is still a bit of a fraud.  He had a great season at WMU in 2016, but their best win was getting past a 7-6 NW team to open the season.  The rest of the MAC was very soft, and he had the POY at QB and Corey Davis at WR, neither of whom he recruited.  And in the 2 years prior at WMU, his best wins were against scuffling sub-.500 B10 schools. 

Now Minnesota, this season is completely a result of a favorable schedule.  Their best win is...Illinois?  They snuck by a .500 Fresno State team early in the year.  PSU, at Iowa, and Wisconsin in the next 4 games will show, but at this point, he feels like a less accomplished Tom Crean of football.  Great self promoter with his Row the Boat shctick, but very fortunate in his best years and light on results.  Other than the Wisconsin win last season, which I really enjoyed, he doesn't have a single other impressive win at Minnesota in 3 years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #347 on: November 04, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »
Matt Campbell is an interesting, albeit not sexy, name.  He was successful for a good period of time at Toledo and has been consistent at ISU, which isn't an easy place to win.

PJ Fleck to me is still a bit of a fraud.  He had a great season at WMU in 2016, but their best win was getting past a 7-6 NW team to open the season.  The rest of the MAC was very soft, and he had the POY at QB and Corey Davis at WR, neither of whom he recruited.  And in the 2 years prior at WMU, his best wins were against scuffling sub-.500 B10 schools. 

Now Minnesota, this season is completely a result of a favorable schedule.  Their best win is...Illinois?  They snuck by a .500 Fresno State team early in the year.  PSU, at Iowa, and Wisconsin in the next 4 games will show, but at this point, he feels like a less accomplished Tom Crean of football.  Great self promoter with his Row the Boat shctick, but very fortunate in his best years and light on results.  Other than the Wisconsin win last season, which I really enjoyed, he doesn't have a single other impressive win at Minnesota in 3 years.

I know what you mean about Fleck's schtick, but I think you're  underselling his accomplishments, especially at Western Michigan. He took over a program forever mired in mediocrity - even by MAC standards - and after one bad season led them to three straight bowl appearances, a conference title, an undefeated regular season and a major bowl in which they went toe-to-toe with a top 10 Wisconsin team.
Not sure what more one can expect from a MAC program. If you're holding it against him that they didn't beat good P5 programs, then that's just not a realistic standard to measure a MAC coach by.

As for Minnesota, you can only play your schedule - which is set years in advance - but I'd say beating a top 20 Fresno State team last year counts as an impressive win.  They're definitely benefiting from an easy schedule so far this year, but it's not like they're eking out victories of late. Their last three wins against non-Rutgers opponents are by an average 30+ points. Three of their next four are against quality opponents, so we'll see if they're legit.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
I know what you mean about Fleck's schtick, but I think you're  underselling his accomplishments, especially at Western Michigan. He took over a program forever mired in mediocrity - even by MAC standards - and after one bad season led them to three straight bowl appearances, a conference title, an undefeated regular season and a major bowl in which they went toe-to-toe with a top 10 Wisconsin team.
Not sure what more one can expect from a MAC program. If you're holding it against him that they didn't beat good P5 programs, then that's just not a realistic standard to measure a MAC coach by.

As for Minnesota, you can only play your schedule - which is set years in advance - but I'd say beating a top 20 Fresno State team last year counts as an impressive win.  They're definitely benefiting from an easy schedule so far this year, but it's not like they're eking out victories of late. Their last three wins against non-Rutgers opponents are by an average 30+ points. Three of their next four are against quality opponents, so we'll see if they're legit.

I went to undergrad at a MAC school, I know about the up and down nature of programs at that level. What’s appealing to young coaches, and why many take jobs there, is that the overall level of the conference has fallen so much and there is so much turnover among “good programs”, that all you need is a good class or two and you can swing aggressively. Western wasn’t a power, but they were a pretty dang good MAC program under Cubit before Fleck. They just had the misfortune of being in the same division as peak NIU and Toledo, so 3rd was where they resided. They weren’t Akron or Eastern Michigan level incompetent. Ball State, Miami, Buffalo, and one other all had huge quick turnarounds by coaches who had limited to no success after.

As for his schedule, at both WMU and Minnesota, I know it’s not NCAA 14 where you tweak your schedule strength on the fly, but for someone to be viewed as a contender for a job like FSU, id expect a track record of significant success or some scalps. I think him getting the Minnesota job made sense and was a good, justifiable jump up. Him being viewed as ready for a marquee job so quickly thereafter is why I call into question his track record. If he was 8-3 with losses to Iowa, UW, and PSU cause the schedule wasn’t back weighted, not sure we are seeing him he discussed. Just my opinion.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »
CFP rankings come out tonight. I'm going to guess the only 1 vs 2 match up this week will be in basketball.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback