[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129137 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #550 on: December 01, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »
Clay Helton has not been fired (yet?).
Charlie Strong has, in fact, been fired.

But the media said it was true.   :o  SI reporting he got fired, school denies it.  #fakenewsForNow?

Charlie Strong, a little surprised he made it this long.  Seems like a good man, perhaps more asst coach material.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #551 on: December 01, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
Strong finished the season ranked two years ago and had a winning record last year. Furthermore his last two years at Louisville he went 23-3 with a Sugar Bowl win. Texas was a bad for no doubt but the guy has been a successful head coach before.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #552 on: December 01, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »
But the media said it was true.   :o  SI reporting he got fired, school denies it.  #fakenewsForNow?

So you're saying that in a rush to publish information for public consumption someone didn't make sure they had their facts straight?
Shame on anyone who would do that.

#cheeksneverwrong

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: December 01, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »
Matt Luke out at Ole Miss.
Given the mess Hugh Freeze left for him, not sure what more could have been reasonably expected of him.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #554 on: December 01, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
Matt Luke out at Ole Miss.
Given the mess Hugh Freeze left for him, not sure what more could have been reasonably expected of him.

What do reasonable expectations have to do with SEC football?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #555 on: December 01, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
What do reasonable expectations have to do with SEC football?

Fair point.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #556 on: December 02, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
Strong finished the season ranked two years ago and had a winning record last year. Furthermore his last two years at Louisville he went 23-3 with a Sugar Bowl win. Texas was a bad for no doubt but the guy has been a successful head coach before.

I think Strong was in a favorable situation in Louisville. Relatively strong program with some remnants of what Petrine built but other much in the way of expectations, tons of monetary support, soft conference. Texas was a terrible fit.

I actually think USF did the right thing. Same thing happened with Skip Holtz. Once they saw it was going in the wrong direction and early success was based on the previous regime set up, they moved on. Strong took over a really strong setup from Taggert and fell off quickly

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #557 on: December 02, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
Strong didn't follow Petrino.  He followed Steve Kragthorpe, who was 15-21 his three years as head coach.  Strong won there because he pulled in a lot of Florida talent, including Teddy Bridgewater.  He was supposed to replicate that at Texas, but obviously didn't.  It kind of fell apart for him at USF.  I agree with you about cutting ties early. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #558 on: December 02, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »

Don't forget that UT's biggest booster wanted Strong fired before he coached a game for the Horns. He wasn't the white man for the job there.

I'm surprised Strong didn't do well at USF.  He'll be a DC somewhere next year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »
Chris Petersen stepping down at Washington. Moving into administration - at least for now. Will clearly have opportunities in future if he wishes.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
Chris Petersen stepping down at Washington. Moving into administration - at least for now. Will clearly have opportunities in future if he wishes.

I thought it was interesting that his longtime assistant stemming back to the Boise St days was handed the gig. Good for continuity I'm sure, and Lake has a solid enough resume, but it struck me as unusual that a guy who was only there for six seasons (and less time than he spent at Boise St) would have a coach-in-waiting type succession and a spot made for him in administration.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
I thought it was interesting that his longtime assistant stemming back to the Boise St days was handed the gig. Good for continuity I'm sure, and Lake has a solid enough resume, but it struck me as unusual that a guy who was only there for six seasons (and less time than he spent at Boise St) would have a coach-in-waiting type succession and a spot made for him in administration.

Of all the college journos out there, I respect Bruce Feldman the most and he raves about Jimmy Lake, fwiw
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #562 on: December 03, 2019, 01:25:37 AM »
Strong didn't follow Petrino.  He followed Steve Kragthorpe, who was 15-21 his three years as head coach.  Strong won there because he pulled in a lot of Florida talent, including Teddy Bridgewater.  He was supposed to replicate that at Texas, but obviously didn't.  It kind of fell apart for him at USF.  I agree with you about cutting ties early.

I know, hence why I said remnants. Kragthorpe was awful, but the appeal of Louisville and their resurgence hasn’t quite disappeared. But the Florida piece was also huge. And I think 1 key thing have changed. When Strong poached Florida at Louisville, UCF wasn’t the power they became in the last 5-7 years. Kiffin is doing some nice stuff at FAU, and for all his faults, dude can recruit. So suddenly, Strong wasn’t as easily compelling an alternative for the instate non UF/FSU/Miami kids at USF like he was at Louisville.

Totally agree. The Boise tree is strong, but Lake didn’t spend much time there, he’s just a Petersen disciple. I’ve heard good things as well, but it’s still odd for a program like U Dub. Also, I find it odd cause Petersen was good, but he didn’t really set the world on fire outside of 1 year.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2019, 08:28:08 AM »
Some teams are going after Bryan Harsin at Boise St. We'll see if he decides to stay or make a move. Harsin has been an assistant under both Hawkins and Peterson. He has done well there on his own.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
So nice to start December with ND, Bama and UW-Madison on the outside looking in.

Although, to be honest, it was always fun to watch ND lose 849-2 in a playoff game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
So I think the combination is unlikely, but if Clemson loses to Virginia (unlikely), Georgia loses to LSU (fairly likely), and Utah loses to Oregon (don't know enough about either team to make a call), who gets in?  The winner of the the Baylor Oklahoma game would almost certainly get the #3 seed, but who'd be 4th? A 1 loss Clemson with 0 top 25 wins?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #566 on: December 03, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
So I think the combination is unlikely, but if Clemson loses to Virginia (unlikely), Georgia loses to LSU (fairly likely), and Utah loses to Oregon (don't know enough about either team to make a call), who gets in?  The winner of the the Baylor Oklahoma game would almost certainly get the #3 seed, but who'd be 4th? A 1 loss Clemson with 0 top 25 wins?

Clemson.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #567 on: December 03, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
I could certainly see it, and I don't really have a plausible alternative, but youd have a tough time convincing me that a non-conference champ with 0 top 25 wins is one of the best 4 teams in the country.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #568 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »
Sports Illustrated’s Adam Maya still hasn’t issued a retraction about Clay Helton during, despite USC firmly saying he is staying.

What will SI do? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #569 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »
Sports Illustrated’s Adam Maya still hasn’t issued a retraction about Clay Helton during, despite USC firmly saying he is staying.

What will SI do?

Can you please take your ax and somewhere else to grind it?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »

If they take the 4 best teams, it’s Clemson and a clear no-brainer.  I won’t argue the ACC is any good but credit to Clemson for steamrolling those teams (save UNC).  I also agree with Dabo about South Carolina.  It’s a yearly rivalry game on the schedule and not their fault the Cocks are bad.  They also scheduled Texas A&M, another team anyone would agree should be a good game.  All the metrics point to Clemson being a top-3 team, regardless of this weekend.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #571 on: December 04, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »

What will SI do? 

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/report-usc-keeping-helton/

Can you please be done with this silliness now?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #572 on: December 04, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
Anyway, my guess is that retaining Helton made sense because either Urban said "no" or "not yet," or maybe they'd go after Chris Petersen next year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »
Weird that Baylor jumped Wisconsin in the playoff poll.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
Weird that Baylor jumped Wisconsin in the playoff poll.

Not really.  They are sending the message that Wisconsin has no chance, which they shouldn't.  If Georgia wins, they're in.  If they don't, it looks like it could be Utah, or the winner of Oklahoma v. Baylor.  That's it.