'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Old stuff  (Read 21267 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Old stuff
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Yours truly with future brother in law on the ticket

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »

Holy Mackeral,  holy Mackeral

https://youtu.be/N9coEYtnDeA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
I have three things that beat them all!

The Sentinel, the Journal (separate papers until the 1990s) and the campus paper from the Day We won the National Title in 1977.

They're waiting for a companion!

Those would be awesome.  I have some cool stuff from seeing Halos win it all as well as the Ducks in the Stanley Cup....Cowboys in the SB.  Would love to put MU ship in there at some point.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
Ha, no I can't find myself in that picture.  And of course you are right about the coach then.  I had my year's mixed up.

And Tony Smith might go down as the most underappreciated player in Marquette history. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »

Stormed the court after this game.  Man the Dukiet era was lame.

You can say that again.  The only time we had even a hint of a reason to storm the court during that era was a victory over a sub-.500 Notre Dame team.  I'll just keep telling myself that it built character because there was absolutely no other redeeming quality of that period of MU basketball.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »
I did as well, but KO was actually the coach then.  Find yourself in the picture below?

ND Sucks.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »
Tony Smith and I were classmates. Somewhat friendly. When he would walk by our lacrosse practices he would always stop and try to figure out how to throw and catch.

Fast forward two years. I’m in law school in LA. We get tickets for a Laker game. Show up super early. He’s down on the court warming up. I made my way court side. He’s sees me and comes running over. Gives me a huge hug.

I was just impressed that he remembered who I was.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »
Love the Warriors thermometer.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »

A painful reminder of the most shameful night in the proud, storied annals of Marquette hoops. To be so thoroughly humiliated on so large a stage...the horror....the horror....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
A painful reminder of the most shameful night in the proud, storied annals of Marquette hoops. To be so thoroughly humiliated on so large a stage...the horror....the horror....

We have only been there once in the last 40 years....nothing shameful about it, let alone most shameful....you just got done saying yesterday Hank had nearly everyone back and we lost an opening round game to Miami Ohio....the 2003 team earned every damn bit to get to the Final Four, knocking off two top 5 teams along the way.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »

I've got set of three pennants from the 2003 FF.  The Marquette pennant is signed by DWade.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »
A picture of Tom and Joni that Chico’s hangs above the fireplace.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »
A picture of Tom and Joni that Chico’s hangs above the fireplace.

It’s a hand pencil sketch of me and this girl ( friend of mine ) who visited me from California when we were 18 and I was living at McCormick.  Her sister worked for the Packers and her brother in law was GM of WNFL station in GB.  Her dad went to Marquette medical school, so she was in Wisconsin visiting.....11 years after that sketch we were married and still are to this day.  The sketch was a gift, I happened to be wearing a Marquette sweatshirt. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:07:53 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2019, 06:40:45 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »
Love the Warriors thermometer.

I do too. But I don’t think it gets to 32F in the OC. The mercury must have leeched out in Cheeks’ crawl space.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
You can say that again.  The only time we had even a hint of a reason to storm the court during that era was a victory over a sub-.500 Notre Dame team.  I'll just keep telling myself that it built character because there was absolutely no other redeeming quality of that period of MU basketball.

God bless you, Fluffy and all others from that era. Most fans would have abandoned the MUBB ship long ago. Not only was basketball effed up, so was the university.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
I do too. But I don’t think it gets to 32F in the OC. The mercury must have leeched out in Cheeks’ crawl space.

The thermometer has been broken since day 1, but is anchored nicely on my brick column as I exit the front door each day. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
God bless you, Fluffy and all others from that era. Most fans would have abandoned the MUBB ship long ago. Not only was basketball effed up, so was the university.

You wouldn’t have a bunch of us here to make your day Doctor if it weren’t for that time period when we were there.  ;)  ;)

It was tough, we were awfully bad, but then again I didn’t attend MU because of the basketball squad.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
You wouldn’t have a bunch of us here to make your day Doctor if it weren’t for that time period when we were there.  ;)  ;)

It was tough, we were awfully bad, but then again I didn’t attend MU because of the basketball squad.

St. Peter has a hall pass waiting for you to avoid Purgatory.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2019, 07:44:37 PM »
The thermometer has been broken since day 1, but is anchored nicely on my brick column as I exit the front door each day.

When you go on exile to Montana, it will be right twice a day...in the summer.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
When you go on exile to Montana, it will be right twice a day...in the summer.

It was a beautiful 80 a few weeks ago.  Seeing a good friend Wednesday from the Athletic Department back in the Buzz days....looking forward to the NIT story that we turned it down, yet Buzz was campaigning for it before and after.  Should be fun.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:31:58 PM by Cheeks »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »
It’s a hand pencil sketch of me and this girl ( friend of mine ) who visited me from California when we were 18 and I was living at McCormick.  Her sister worked for the Packers and her brother in law was GM of WNFL station in GB.  Her dad went to Marquette medical school, so she was in Wisconsin visiting.....11 years after that sketch we were married and still are to this day.  The sketch was a gift, I happened to be wearing a Marquette sweatshirt.
OMG....that’s unnatural carnal knowledgeing beautiful Chico’s!