[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 187680 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2019, 05:34:33 AM »
My oldest son participated and the boys went pretty far.  Another Orange County team won the whole thing that year in Williamsport.  We loved every minute of it.  Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

Serious, Brother Cheeks.

I'm happy that your children learned an appreciation of baseball through Little League and I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed them. There's a portion of Little League that builds character, teaches children about the value of teamwork and helps them recognize what they can and cannot do! My own children played soccer and football and I saw both the best and the worst of society in those experiences.

That said, the only television programs 12 and 13 year old children should be on is Bozo's Circus in Chicago or eating an ice cream cone on the Big Screen at Miller (soon to be AmFam) Park. I find the whole notion of putting on a "world series" for 12 or 13 year olds preposterous and designed to make money for self-important adults.

My concern is that baseball, at that competitive level, stops being recreation and exercise. The pressure all too many parents put on their children -- many of whom are living their own broken dreams through their children -- is something that's way beyond expectations for a person of that young age. Winning may be important later in life, but at that age, finding yourself and your ability is far more important. I do not see how having a global baseball tournament on national television espousing virtues that, at that level, are more of a facade than a creed, fosters healthy child development. Gosh, look at everything from the use of ineligible players to recruiting players from outside an established zone in Chicago and you've got Peoples Exhibit Number 1 for my point.

Where do you think the Dave Hausers and Tim Maymons come from?

Oh, and for the record, I feel the same way about high school football and nationally competitive youth basketball. While I recognize my hard-core support for Marquette as well as other sports may be hypocritical, I'm of the belief youth sports in this country has gone way overboard.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:36:14 AM by dgies9156 »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »
So are we going to have 1000+ posts on how the Cardinals should also have a retractable roof?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »
Serious, Brother Cheeks.

I'm happy that your children learned an appreciation of baseball through Little League and I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed them. There's a portion of Little League that builds character, teaches children about the value of teamwork and helps them recognize what they can and cannot do! My own children played soccer and football and I saw both the best and the worst of society in those experiences.

That said, the only television programs 12 and 13 year old children should be on is Bozo's Circus in Chicago or eating an ice cream cone on the Big Screen at Miller (soon to be AmFam) Park. I find the whole notion of putting on a "world series" for 12 or 13 year olds preposterous and designed to make money for self-important adults.

My concern is that baseball, at that competitive level, stops being recreation and exercise. The pressure all too many parents put on their children -- many of whom are living their own broken dreams through their children -- is something that's way beyond expectations for a person of that young age. Winning may be important later in life, but at that age, finding yourself and your ability is far more important. I do not see how having a global baseball tournament on national television espousing virtues that, at that level, are more of a facade than a creed, fosters healthy child development. Gosh, look at everything from the use of ineligible players to recruiting players from outside an established zone in Chicago and you've got Peoples Exhibit Number 1 for my point.

Oh, and for the record, I feel the same way about high school football and nationally competitive youth basketball. While I recognize my hard-core support for Marquette as well as other sports may be hypocritical, I'm of the belief youth sports in this country has gone way overboard.

Amen. The LLWS and Little League in general is exactly what is wrong with youth sports these days. For multiple reasons. The biggest of which is leaving late bloomers behind. It shuts out sports at too young an age for too many children. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2019, 08:29:44 AM »
Serious, Brother Cheeks.

I will agree with you that the pressure was intense.  Derek Deese, former offensive lineman for the 49ers was one of our coaches and as an ex Pro athlete he pushed those kids hard.  It’s how he was pushed as an athlete, not all kids respond well to that.  We were fortunate that the players and families got along, everyone knew their place on the team, but you are right that the dynamic gets crazy on a number of teams.

The expansion of televised youth sports is going to only get broader.  New automated cameras that do s not require an operator are in use now at some high schools and the NFHS is streaming the games.  Schools being added to that list along with AAU events, etc.  Technology making it cost efficient to do it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »
So are we going to have 1000+ posts on how the Cardinals should also have a retractable roof?

Don't think so.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
This Castellanos guy has had a nice Opening Day the last few weeks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »
This Castellanos guy has had a nice Opening Day the last few weeks.

Amazing the motivation a good player can find playing in the thick of a playoff race instead of for a team 38 games back and on pace to lose 110 games

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
He has also pointed out Wrigley has much more favorable conditions for a batter than Comerica.

I hope the +$70 million coming off the books this offseason plus TV money will allow the Cubs to resign him.  He's a Boras guy though. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Fellow Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on the Cubs managerial situation?

I'd prefer they keep Maddon.  He's certainly not without his flaws, but I'd rather have him than Girardi, DeRosa, Ross, etc.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »

I'd prefer they keep Maddon.  He's certainly not without his flaws, but I'd rather have him than Girardi, DeRosa, Ross, etc.

Indifferent. I like Joe, but I wonder if his shtick (although it seems to have been dialed back of late) has gotten old with some players. I'm also not sure a manager makes that much difference, especially as baseball gets more and more analytical. Give me whatever manager leaves enough room in the budget for better players.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2019, 01:14:27 PM »

If we're talking about firing a manager who's been to 3 nlcs's in the 4 years he's managed the team, then I think you know all you need to about this new Cubs team.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
If we're talking about firing a manager who's been to 3 nlcs's in the 4 years he's managed the team, then I think you know all you need to about this new Cubs team.

I think you mean all we know about new cubs fans.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »

Brewer fan snark aside  ::). They wouldn't be firing him, his contract is up and they wouldn't extend him.  You're not cutting a QB or sending down a CF if their contract expires and you don't resign them, you're just moving in a different direction.  Especially when he's making like $6-7MM and another manager would likely be closer to $1.5-2MM.

He's a chemistry and clubhouse guy, not a strategic genius.  He is particularly effective with young and inexperienced teams.  He was the absolute perfect fit for a young Cubs franchise.  We've seen his deficiencies, happened in 2015, was on display in infuriating fashion last year.  This is an experienced team with lots of leaders now.  And windows close quickly.  They have big salary decisions coming up.  You saw how fast the Tigers window slammed shut.

I agree that he's been toned down a bit this year.  I think his decision making and handle of the team down the stretch, and hopefully into the playoffs will dictate his extension or lack thereof.  And I'm fine with that.  Baseball managing is like soccer managing to me.  There is a lot less direct Xs and Os like basketball or football, so its a flow and chemistry thing.  Thats easier to move on when its broken than deciding if a good coach just had a bad team or year.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
Amen. The LLWS and Little League in general is exactly what is wrong with youth sports these days. For multiple reasons. The biggest of which is leaving late bloomers behind. It shuts out sports at too young an age for too many children.

Have you read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"? Specifically, the chapter on youth hockey in Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
Have you read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"? Specifically, the chapter on youth hockey in Canada.

I haven't but I understand the concept. People complain about kids not being involved in sports, but those complainers are often the ones who had the timing and resources to have their kids involved early. And the rest self-select out, or never had the chance to begin with.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
I think it was really smart of Epstein to not extend Maddon.

One mistake pro teams make all the time is extending the contract of a coach or manager too early. Let the season play out.

I know that on a few very rare occasions, a coach or manager might be so good and in such high demand that a team owner or GM might feel they have to extend to keep the guy. But that's hardly ever the case. And it's not college, where you need to extend the coach's contract for the sake of recruiting.

I remember when the Bears extended Dick Jauron after the smoke-and-mirrors 2001 Bears went 13-3. He had won 6 and 5 games his first two seasons, and he was under contract for 2002. Would it have killed them to see if he could follow up on his 2001 success before they committed to him? Were a dozen other franchises ready to swoop in and steal Jauron away? But the Bears couldn't help themselves; they extended his contract. And after the team predictably went 4-12 the next year, they had to hang onto Jauron for yet another hopeless, horribly coached season. Just one of many examples.

So I respect the way Epstein is dealing with Maddon.

If some team swoops in and "steals" Maddon, oh well, it probably was time for a change for all parties concerned. Phil Jackson used to say that after X number of years, athletes tune out coaches and it's time for a change.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »

I think Joe Maddon and the retiring Bruce Bochy make close to twice as much as any other manager in MLB; their contracts are inflated and out-dated.  I think it would be strange to re-sign Joe at a fraction of his current salary, given his success.  For that reason, I can see the Cubs going in a different direction.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
I think Maddon handles the clubhouse as well as any manager and his bullpen as badly as any manager. The road record is ridiculous with all the one run and blown losses. You can maybe blame injuries, but why don’t the injuries impact them at home? That said, it all depends on how the Cubs close.

Also, it won’t happen, but why do the Cubs need Hoyer? Redundant yes man.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:41:33 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
I think Madden handles the clubhouse as well as any manager and his bullpen as badly as any manager. The road record is ridiculous with all the one run and blown losses. You can maybe blame injuries, but why don’t the injuries impact them at home? That said, it all depends on how the Cubs close.

Cubs hit very well at home.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
This says it’s the pitching to blame.

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019/8/15/20807494/cubs-weird-home-road-splits-120-games

I'd have to look through the schedule but Im guessing there are quite a few blowout wins away that are really skewing those numbers. Sometimes stats don't tell the real story

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
I think Maddon will be gone if for no other reason than his salary is too high in comparison to what baseball has become, and the Ricketts financial struggles in paying off Cubs debt will be an easy place for them to find cost savings.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
I think Maddon handles the clubhouse as well as any manager and his bullpen as badly as any manager. The road record is ridiculous with all the one run and blown losses. You can maybe blame injuries, but why don’t the injuries impact them at home? That said, it all depends on how the Cubs close.

I think there's a good chance Theo moves on when his contract is up in a couple years.  He has said before he believes around ten years at one place is the right amount of time.  I'd guess Jed becomes the president and Jason McLeod becomes the GM if Theo leaves.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
I'd have to look through the schedule but Im guessing there are quite a few blowout wins away that are really skewing those numbers. Sometimes stats don't tell the real story

Eight walk-off losses (road). 19-20 in one run games, with 12 of those losses on the road.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
Not that we’re at this weekend I’m going to stand on my original thoughts on the players weekend jerseys. Not great.