[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Open Practice August 3  (Read 10949 times)

tower912

• All American
Open Practice August 3
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »
per Dodds.    Come on, local guys.    Go scout the team. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Open Practice August 3
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »
I cannot make it. Memo to anyone who goes, we need a mandatory scouting report on Ike. Is he healthy and hows is his mobility . 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
I’ll be there—any idea on timing?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
I’ll be there—any idea on timing?
Go early and stay late. Hang around and talk to all the assistants including Marotta. You will get all sorts of good information.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
Go early and stay late. Hang around and talk to all the assistants including Marotta. You will get all sorts of good information.
:P
Goal is National Championship

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:11 PM »
I’ll ask around about Dwayne and Giannis’ kids.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »
I’ll ask around about Dwayne and Giannis’ kids.
Thanks. You might get some interesting morsels along from Stan.
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:41 AM »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »
Find out what happened with Sam.  And whose idea was "Gold". 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
I'll be there. Doors open at 11:30. Practice is at noon.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/7/25/mens-basketball-hosting-open-scrimmage-aug-3.aspx

A comprehensive report on Ike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
You got it.....Ill see if there has been any progress on bringing back "Warriors".

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
You got it.....Ill see if there has been any progress on bringing back "Warriors".

Might be a good time to see if the land by the Ramada is going to be used for our football stadium.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »
A comprehensive report on Ike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll try to take notes on as many players as I can. I'm most interested in seeing Koby, Jayce, Symir and Dexter as newcomers -- as well as how players like Brendan and Jamal have developed.

Curious how they structure the time. Some of the open practices I've been to in the past have been mostly drills with a scrimmage at the end, but one last season was basically all scrimmage (to simulate a game).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »

...and we want a copy of the unreacted "letter".

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
...and we want a copy of the unreacted "letter".
There will be redactions, helps boost the rumors.
Goal is National Championship

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
There will be redactions, helps boost the rumors.

All redacted words will be 6 letters in length

HOWARD
MARKUS
HAUSER
SAMUEL
JOSEPH
CANCER

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
All redacted words will be 6 letters in length

HOWARD
MARKUS
HAUSER
SAMUEL
JOSEPH
CANCER
HEDONT
PASSME
THEBAL
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »
HEDONT
PASSME
THEBAL

HOWAMI
GETTIN
TOOTHA (sic)
LEAGUE?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
HOWAMI
GETTIN
TOOTHA (sic)
LEAGUE?
INEVER
REALLY
WANTED
2BHERE

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Unable to get there this am--any updates from those who attended?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
I was at the Al. Double the crowd I would have thought on a summer Saturday for a practice.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/1157705373777879041

Joyce Johnson will be an excellent addition to the roster.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
That is best news I could have heard this late summer!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
Akanno better than I anticipated. Made some nice jumpers in traffic.

After the practice, they had kids on floor shooting with the players. After that it was a 20 minute session where you go on the floor and meet the players.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:11:31 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 08:15:14 PM »
Wojo and the team were all business from the start. No opening statement from Wojo, just dove right into half-court drills. Everyone participated except Ike and Greg (who was on a stationary bike without a boot for most of the practice).

Theo, Ed and Jayce were on one end of the court working on pick and roll -- posting up down low, coming high to set a pick then rolling to the basket. I paid more attention to this group than the others at the opposite end of the court. Probably only 5-10 minutes or so here, mostly a warmup.

After that, they moved into a 5-on-0 full-court drill. I counted at least 8 different lineups. Every lineup included at least 2 of the 4 potential lead/point guards (Markus, Koby, Symir, Dexter). Only 3 lineups included 2 bigs (Theo, Ed, Jayce) together. Emphasis seemed to be on movement, passing and communication. Maybe 15-20 minutes here? I wasn't counting.

The rest of the practice was a 5-on-5 scrimmage in 4-minute increments, with refs and timeouts. Theo sat this one out (not sure why) either on the bench or the stationary bike next to Greg. Assistant coach Jake Presutti (I believe) stepped in as the 10th player. Maybe 5 different lineups? My thoughts:

Guards
Markus looked focused and sharp. Think he missed his first couple shots, but made at least 4 three-pointers, was fouled on another, and had another 3 or 4 floaters and jumpers inside the arc. Guarded Koby a lot on defense (although the two of them played together in the last 3 lineups), played hard.

Koby is a player. Handled the ball well and was aggressive on offense, fearless taking the ball to the hole. Made at least one three. His shot looks good, not a quick release but smooth and in rhythm. Think he'll have to pick his spots. Had at least a couple buckets on drives and earned trips to the line on at least two other drives. Physical, in-your-face defender.

Just based on what I saw this afternoon, both Symir and Dexter can contribute this year. Symir was more aggressive on offense, hitting at least 3 three-pointers. Both look like capable ball handlers and passers. Dexter showed off an effective hesitation dribble and a couple strong spin moves (although he lost the ball out of bounds on one).

Wings
Sacar seemed to pick his spots. Was quiet offensively early on, then had 3 scores in the last two periods, including playing through contact to get the basket and the foul on a strong drive.

Brendan was the most aggressive on offense, which is generally good, but still not sure about his shot selection or ability to play through contact. He missed most of the shots he took, but still played hard and had some good rebounds on both ends.

Jamal also looked a bit hesitant. Hit a baby jump hook early, and had a great dunk late, but other times seemed to mostly dribble in place 2-3 times when he got the ball before passing.

Bigs
Seeing Ed and Jayce battle down low was fun to watch.

Think we got a really nice player in Jayce. Fluid on defense for a 7-footer, seems to have a good feel for when to hedge up top and getting back to his man quickly. Looks strong with good feet. On one play defending on the block, Ed turned and put his shoulder straight into Jayce's chest. Hard. Twice. Jayce didn't move. Hit a nice post-up jump hook early and an offensive rebound put-back. Struggled big time at the line, missing all of his attempts. He also looked the most winded of anyone on the team, but played hard throughout.

Ed hit a jump-hook over Jayce early and another shot later, hit all his free throws, pulled down several offensive and defensive rebounds and had at least 1 steal. During one break, he took off his jersey and wrung out enough sweat to fill a Gatorade bottle. Gotta love this guy. He also took (and missed) a contested 8-10 foot jumper from near the baseline.

Wrap-up
Wojo closed with a few comments to the crowd, thanking everyone for coming and talking a bit about the team, practices so far and the upcoming trip to Spain and France.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:17:30 PM by Marcus92 »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
-Bill Walton

feedback