[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ike Eke’s MU career ends  (Read 8139 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Ike Eke’s MU career ends
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 03:02:26 AM »
Do we have certain standards that other schools don't? Because from what I remember mccmorrow was able to ply somewhere after not meeting our standards

He had a very pedestrian career at Tennessee Tech. Averaged 3.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in a two year career.

I think it was less about standards and more about "you are no longer good enough to be on the team"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 03:22:29 AM »
Does he get to keep his scholarship? Is this covered under some insurance policy?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
Good luck to Ike.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
Does he get to keep his scholarship? Is this covered under some insurance policy?

Yes on scholarship.  Not sure about insurance.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
All impressions are he’s a great young man who has kept a spectacular attitude and outlook considering everything he’s been through.  Hope he gets past these back issues and has a wonderful and successful life

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
He had a very pedestrian career at Tennessee Tech. Averaged 3.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in a two year career.

I think it was less about standards and more about "you are no longer good enough to be on the team"

If Mbao was good enough I can't imagine Liam was that much different
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 12:55:59 PM »
Disappointed for him, but may he find health and happiness for the long journey life brings.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 01:13:07 PM »
All impressions are he’s a great young man who has kept a spectacular attitude and outlook considering everything he’s been through.  Hope he gets past these back issues and has a wonderful and successful life

Very well-said.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1157364525391405057?s=21

Bummer man.

Sucks.  Good dude by all accounts, including personal ones of friends and relatives that know the young man.  Great teammate and I hope that remains and he stays.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
If Mbao was good enough I can't imagine Liam was that much different

They had a legitimate reason to free up McMorrow's scholarship. They din't for Mbao
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
Do we have certain standards that other schools don't? Because from what I remember mccmorrow was able to ply somewhere after not meeting our standards

The rule refers to the student-athlete who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she "apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics". So, some situations are clear cut and obvious - every institution would come to the same conclusion.. however, the nature of the rule is that it's a judgment call.

mccmorrow (sic) -- and others... it's not necessarily that two schools looked at the same situation and came to different conclusions. There can also be situations where circumstances change.

15.5.1.2.2 Change in Circumstances. If circumstances change and the student-athlete subsequently
practices or competes at the institution at which the incapacitating injury or illness occurred, the student-athlete again shall become a counter, and the institution shall be required to count that financial aid under the limitations of this bylaw in the sport in question during each academic year in which the financial aid was received.

So, let's say you had a guy on a perm medical scholarship and he's not a counter one year. And you had 13 guys on scholarship. The next year, circumstances change and he can play after all. The issue for that school is that you had him as a non-counter. If he later plays for you, he becomes a counter in that past year, but you already had 13 scholarship players... playing him would mean you had 14 scholarship players last year and becomes an issue.

Nonetheless, from a PR standpoint, if you determine a guy can't play for you ever again, and then later change that... you better feel real good about the change in circumstances.. cause it's gonna be a nightmare if the issue results in something bad... when he's later playing for you...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
Have been through this with several of my kids teammates over the years. Multiple concussion cases, Torn ACL in both knees, Severe broken legs and hips, Repeated Shoulder dislocations in both shoulders , back surgery etc. Almost all of these kids will have life long medical issues and I have never seen anyone allowed to come back by medical staff once the initial determination has been made. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
I hope he won’t end up on a “most disappointing” list some day. Injuries are a bitch.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
Yes on scholarship.  Not sure about insurance.

OK, he is on scholarship, but does his scholarship use up a basketball scholarship since he can't play?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 02:24:01 PM »
OK, he is on scholarship, but does his scholarship use up a basketball scholarship since he can't play?

No
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.