[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Open Practice August 3  (Read 10956 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Open Practice August 3
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Wojo and the team were all business from the start. No opening statement from Wojo, just dove right into half-court drills. Everyone participated except Ike and Greg (who was on a stationary bike without a boot for most of the practice).

Theo, Ed and Jayce were on one end of the court working on pick and roll -- posting up down low, coming high to set a pick then rolling to the basket. I paid more attention to this group than the others at the opposite end of the court. Probably only 5-10 minutes or so here, mostly a warmup.

After that, they moved into a 5-on-0 full-court drill. I counted at least 8 different lineups. Every lineup included at least 2 of the 4 potential lead/point guards (Markus, Koby, Symir, Dexter). Only 3 lineups included 2 bigs (Theo, Ed, Jayce) together. Emphasis seemed to be on movement, passing and communication. Maybe 15-20 minutes here? I wasn't counting.

The rest of the practice was a 5-on-5 scrimmage in 4-minute increments, with refs and timeouts. Theo sat this one out (not sure why) either on the bench or the stationary bike next to Greg. Assistant coach Jake Presutti (I believe) stepped in as the 10th player. Maybe 5 different lineups? My thoughts:

Guards
Markus looked focused and sharp. Think he missed his first couple shots, but made at least 4 three-pointers, was fouled on another, and had another 3 or 4 floaters and jumpers inside the arc. Guarded Koby a lot on defense (although the two of them played together in the last 3 lineups), played hard.

Koby is a player. Handled the ball well and was aggressive on offense, fearless taking the ball to the hole. Made at least one three. His shot looks good, not a quick release but smooth and in rhythm. Think he'll have to pick his spots. Had at least a couple buckets on drives and earned trips to the line on at least two other drives. Physical, in-your-face defender.

Just based on what I saw this afternoon, both Symir and Dexter can contribute this year. Symir was more aggressive on offense, hitting at least 3 three-pointers. Both look like capable ball handlers and passers. Dexter showed off an effective hesitation dribble and a couple strong spin moves (although he lost the ball out of bounds on one).

Wings
Sacar seemed to pick his spots. Was quiet offensively early on, then had 3 scores in the last two periods, including playing through contact to get the basket and the foul on a strong drive.

Brendan was the most aggressive on offense, which is generally good, but still not sure about his shot selection or ability to play through contact. He missed most of the shots he took, but still played hard and had some good rebounds on both ends.

Jamal also looked a bit hesitant. Hit a baby jump hook early, and had a great dunk late, but other times seemed to mostly dribble in place 2-3 times when he got the ball before passing.

Bigs
Seeing Ed and Jayce battle down low was fun to watch.

Think we got a really nice player in Jayce. Fluid on defense for a 7-footer, seems to have a good feel for when to hedge up top and getting back to his man quickly. Looks strong with good feet. On one play defending on the block, Ed turned and put his shoulder straight into Jayce's chest. Hard. Twice. Jayce didn't move. Hit a nice post-up jump hook early and an offensive rebound put-back. Struggled big time at the line, missing all of his attempts. He also looked the most winded of anyone on the team, but played hard throughout.

Ed hit a jump-hook over Jayce early and another shot later, hit all his free throws, pulled down several offensive and defensive rebounds and had at least 1 steal. During one break, he took off his jersey and wrung out enough sweat to fill a Gatorade bottle. Gotta love this guy. He also took (and missed) a contested 8-10 foot jumper from near the baseline.

Wrap-up
Wojo closed with a few comments to the crowd, thanking everyone for coming and talking a bit about the team, practices so far and the upcoming trip to Spain and France.
Thanks for this research report . Very well done.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
I was at the Al. Double the crowd I would have thought on a summer Saturday for a practice.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/1157705373777879041

Joyce Johnson will be an excellent addition to the roster.

I heard JJ’s favorite artist is Johnny Cash.
Hear he’s motivated and ticked off.
Something about “A Boy named Sue”.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
Wojo and the team were all business from the start. No opening statement from Wojo, just dove right into half-court drills. Everyone participated except Ike and Greg (who was on a stationary bike without a boot for most of the practice).

Theo, Ed and Jayce were on one end of the court working on pick and roll -- posting up down low, coming high to set a pick then rolling to the basket. I paid more attention to this group than the others at the opposite end of the court. Probably only 5-10 minutes or so here, mostly a warmup.

After that, they moved into a 5-on-0 full-court drill. I counted at least 8 different lineups. Every lineup included at least 2 of the 4 potential lead/point guards (Markus, Koby, Symir, Dexter). Only 3 lineups included 2 bigs (Theo, Ed, Jayce) together. Emphasis seemed to be on movement, passing and communication. Maybe 15-20 minutes here? I wasn't counting.

The rest of the practice was a 5-on-5 scrimmage in 4-minute increments, with refs and timeouts. Theo sat this one out (not sure why) either on the bench or the stationary bike next to Greg. Assistant coach Jake Presutti (I believe) stepped in as the 10th player. Maybe 5 different lineups? My thoughts:

Guards
Markus looked focused and sharp. Think he missed his first couple shots, but made at least 4 three-pointers, was fouled on another, and had another 3 or 4 floaters and jumpers inside the arc. Guarded Koby a lot on defense (although the two of them played together in the last 3 lineups), played hard.

Koby is a player. Handled the ball well and was aggressive on offense, fearless taking the ball to the hole. Made at least one three. His shot looks good, not a quick release but smooth and in rhythm. Think he'll have to pick his spots. Had at least a couple buckets on drives and earned trips to the line on at least two other drives. Physical, in-your-face defender.

Just based on what I saw this afternoon, both Symir and Dexter can contribute this year. Symir was more aggressive on offense, hitting at least 3 three-pointers. Both look like capable ball handlers and passers. Dexter showed off an effective hesitation dribble and a couple strong spin moves (although he lost the ball out of bounds on one).

Wings
Sacar seemed to pick his spots. Was quiet offensively early on, then had 3 scores in the last two periods, including playing through contact to get the basket and the foul on a strong drive.

Brendan was the most aggressive on offense, which is generally good, but still not sure about his shot selection or ability to play through contact. He missed most of the shots he took, but still played hard and had some good rebounds on both ends.

Jamal also looked a bit hesitant. Hit a baby jump hook early, and had a great dunk late, but other times seemed to mostly dribble in place 2-3 times when he got the ball before passing.

Bigs
Seeing Ed and Jayce battle down low was fun to watch.

Think we got a really nice player in Jayce. Fluid on defense for a 7-footer, seems to have a good feel for when to hedge up top and getting back to his man quickly. Looks strong with good feet. On one play defending on the block, Ed turned and put his shoulder straight into Jayce's chest. Hard. Twice. Jayce didn't move. Hit a nice post-up jump hook early and an offensive rebound put-back. Struggled big time at the line, missing all of his attempts. He also looked the most winded of anyone on the team, but played hard throughout.

Ed hit a jump-hook over Jayce early and another shot later, hit all his free throws, pulled down several offensive and defensive rebounds and had at least 1 steal. During one break, he took off his jersey and wrung out enough sweat to fill a Gatorade bottle. Gotta love this guy. He also took (and missed) a contested 8-10 foot jumper from near the baseline.

Wrap-up
Wojo closed with a few comments to the crowd, thanking everyone for coming and talking a bit about the team, practices so far and the upcoming trip to Spain and France.

Very informative. Thank you Marcus92

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
No mic’ed up cuddles?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
Watched the WSS feed this morning and noticed the following:

1) The passing was very crisp. They were finding the open man quick and getting the ball into him. That's gonna matter next season when Markus is double or triple teamed. The more we can hit off Markus, the better Markus will be.

2) Like the blocking underneath. It was solid and strong. We're going to be tougher underneath next year and if whistle-happy refs go after Theo, there won't be a let-up.

Overall, the glimpse I saw was of a team that's on the same page. Europe will tell us a little but I'm waiting for the season to start. This is a huge year for Wojo and I'm crossing my fingers this team is up to the challenge.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
Watched the WSS feed this morning and noticed the following:

1) The passing was very crisp. They were finding the open man quick and getting the ball into him. That's gonna matter next season when Markus is double or triple teamed. The more we can hit off Markus, the better Markus will be.

2) Like the blocking underneath. It was solid and strong. We're going to be tougher underneath next year and if whistle-happy refs go after Theo, there won't be a let-up.

Overall, the glimpse I saw was of a team that's on the same page. Europe will tell us a little but I'm waiting for the season to start. This is a huge year for Wojo and I'm crossing my fingers this team is up to the challenge.
Less likely a letter will be written, hey?
Goal is National Championship

VegasWarrior77

• All American
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
New Faces For Marquette Basketball
https://www.wisconsinsportsstream.com/videos/new-faces?fbclid=IwAR1nW90WFUQruzTKXH9pheyd2i9IXEj9Oc_a0FaWTbOPiupJBxsYaDJhSJA

Enjoyed watching this, so thanks for posting.

And thanks to Marcus92 for his outstanding report. No "research" was involved, but it was informative anyway!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
Less likely a letter will be written, hey?

I think something else assured it is far less likely a letter will be written.