Maximilian Langenfeld by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:30:29 PM]

Academic All Americans by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:29:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Athletic story on Sam's departure  (Read 21217 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Athletic story on Sam's departure
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
That seems most likely. But the whole "I don't care about anyone else's opinion" is a sure sign that he cares about everyone else's opinion. People who don't care don't feel the need to broadcast how much they don't care.

Yep.

He certainly had a right to go wherever he wanted, but he sounds surprised and hurt that MU and UW-Madison fans weren't thrilled with his decision. Earth to Sam?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 12:59:53 PM »
Sam didn't say he thinks he'll be De'Andre Hunter. That's an intentionally misleading summary of the article. The part of the story that covers this is quoted below:

"When being re-recruited by Virginia, Hauser was sold on the idea of filling a De’Andre Hunter-type role for Bennett. Hunter, now with the Atlanta Hawks, was the do-it-all wing who was the difference between the Cavs being a great team and being an elite team capable of winning a national title. One key difference you will note, though, is Hunter attempted 289 2-point baskets and 105 3-point baskets last season. Hauser is nearly the opposite. He attempted 158 2-pointers and 219 3-pointers. This is where Hauser’s attention is centered as he prepares to take the floor in 2020-21."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »
Sam didn't say he thinks he'll be De'Andre Hunter. That's an intentionally misleading summary of the article. The part of the story that covers this is quoted below:

"When being re-recruited by Virginia, Hauser was sold on the idea of filling a De’Andre Hunter-type role for Bennett. Hunter, now with the Atlanta Hawks, was the do-it-all wing who was the difference between the Cavs being a great team and being an elite team capable of winning a national title. One key difference you will note, though, is Hunter attempted 289 2-point baskets and 105 3-point baskets last season. Hauser is nearly the opposite. He attempted 158 2-pointers and 219 3-pointers. This is where Hauser’s attention is centered as he prepares to take the floor in 2020-21."

That makes much more sense. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »

Jesus, dude, I was paraphrasing so as not to rip off the entire article.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:25:33 PM by Pakuni »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
I think he is likely talking about friends, and extended family. They should be happy for him, and want what is best for him, but because they are likely badger fans too, end up asking why, instead of offering congratulations.

I'd find that frustrating if I were him too.

I think it's reasonable for someone to say, "Congratulations!  What made you choose X over Y?". 

If he wants to play in the NBA he better get used to tougher questions than that.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »

Yeah, but the paraphrasing led to a different conclusion than the reading.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 02:06:06 PM »
Yeah, but the paraphrasing led to a different conclusion than the reading.

I suppose I should have made things clearer for the Scoop readers who assumed Sam believed he would spend the next year slowly morphing into an entirely different person.
My bad.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »

In your OP, you wrote, “Thinks he’ll be De’Andre Hunter at Virginia (?).”  Why the question mark?  The article clearly explains it and even points out that Hunter and Hauser are entirely different players.  What’s more, saying “thinks he’ll be De’Andre Hunter” and “he was sold on filling a De’Andre Hunter-type role” are two entirely different things.  One makes Hauser look like a dolt who has his head in the clouds, the other just gives the reader an idea of how he was sold on the program and what kind of role he might play within that system.

Saying “thinks he’ll be De’Andre Hunter” would be like if I wrote, “Hauser thought it would’ve been better if he’d sat out the NIT his sophomore year to get an extra month of rehab time.”  That’s not true and isn’t what the article said, right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
In your OP, you wrote, “Thinks he’ll be De’Andre Hunter at Virginia (?).”  Why the question mark?

Because Sam's game is nothing like Hunter's game.  Sam is a spot up shooter with a decent post up game when matched up against a smaller defender.  Hunter, while also a good shooter, is really defined by his length, athleticism and defense, particularly on-ball defense. Sam is a very good player, but those are not his finer traits.
They aren't similar players.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Sam seems a bit salty.

Sitting in his basement for an interview in central Wisconsin, talking about some of that backlash, Sam Hauser can only shake his head: “My opinion is that you should probably just say, ‘Congratulations,’ and not, ‘Congrats, but why didn’t you go here or here?’ I wish people could just leave it there. It’s like, I’m sorry, but your opinion was not in my head when I was making this decision. I’m not too worried about what people think.”

Other than that, nothing earth-shattering. Refuses to discuss his reasons for leaving; says he wants a year off to get better so he'll be drafted; thinks he'll be De'Andre Hunter at Virginia (?).

Sam is a top 5 draft lottery pick  ;D ;D ;D ;D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »
After reading both Sam's and Joey's interviews in the Athletic, the #1 thing I took away was a reminder that we're talking about two kids in their early 20's.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
After reading both Sam's and Joey's interviews in the Athletic, the #1 thing I took away was a reminder that we're talking about two kids in their early 20's.

Well, in 2 days this will be true.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »
Because Sam's game is nothing like Hunter's game.  Sam is a spot up shooter with a decent post up game when matched up against a smaller defender.  Hunter, while also a good shooter, is really defined by his length, athleticism and defense, particularly on-ball defense. Sam is a very good player, but those are not his finer traits.
They aren't similar players.

Which is why the article said that Hauser is “nearly the opposite” of Hunter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »

Which is why I question whether Sam "Nearly the Opposite of Hunter" Hauser will fill a De'Andre Hunter-type role with the Cavs.
Like, do you see Sam guarding the likes of Zion Williamson and Jarrett Culver for Virginia? I don't.

This isn't the personal affront on Sam you're trying to make it. Stop looking for a reason to be offended.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
So no one yet is convinced that these two are complete bi+ches??  And were two huge forces in derailing the season.  One only need read these two interviews and then compare them to the one that jamal cain just gave.  Just watch any foul that was ever called on Sam to see if hes an fin cry baby or not.  Kids belonged at wisconsin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:06:16 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »
I'm sure he'll get over it.

His response reminds me of a line from 10cc's "I'm Not In Love": "Big boys don't cry. Big boy's don't cry. Big boys don't cry...."

Go Warriors!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »

How many years until Markus is in his 20s? Still gotta be a few, eh?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
The more north you get, the less they care.  Lived there.  Hunting and fishing takes priority over everything.

they have to hear about it first-news hasn't gotten to jim's bait shop yet ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Loss, yes. Tragic, not really. #perspective

From the perspective of Marquette Basketball, it is tragic.

#perspectiveisrelative eh?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
So no one yet is convinced that these two are complete bi+ches??  And were two huge forces in derailing the season.  One only need read these two interviews and then compare them to the one that jamal cain just gave.  Just watch any foul that was ever called on Sam to see if hes an fin cry baby or not.  Kids belonged at wisconsin
Now this is...pure hogwash.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 08:37:31 PM »

No, that had nothing to do with why the article said that Hauser is “nearly the opposite” of Hunter.  It said that based on the proportion of 2 point to 3 point shots those two attempt.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »
FWIW, I heard whispers he wouldn’t have played next year had he stayed at Marquette because of the hip still being injured.  I didn’t put much stock in it and still don’t but this makes me at least consider it

I heard this same whisper. Not sure what to make of it

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
Kind of makes you wonder if the way the staff handled Sam's sophomore year injury was dumb and dangerous after all.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
Kind of makes you wonder if the way the staff handled Sam's sophomore year injury was dumb and dangerous after all.

Oh, I've forgotten about this.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »
Now this is...pure hogwash.

Should probably be in the dooms day thread, but when Willie seems rational and reasonable.....ya've done something. Sand-Knit is now kind of the Scoop Idiot Mountain. Well Done.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."