Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hijacked Butler Thread  (Read 12471 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Funny Interview with JFB
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
What is the main example in this thread? I didn't see any hurt and outrage so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I'm also not sure what your argument is here. You seem to be saying that that two wrongs make a right.

Exactly the point.  If the main example in this thread that was used was someone else, say from a different philosophical bent, would they have been given a free pass like the main example was?  Or would it have destroyed the person?  Thus...the stunning hypocrisy in the outrage or lack there of.  I’m asking for the consistency part on that front.

You can’t decide because A says something it is merely cringeworthy, but if B says the same thing it is the worst thing ever stated.  The application of the outrage is comically hypocritical is what I am saying.

It either is or isn’t offensive.  It isn’t less so because we like the one guy or he shares our ideology, or more so offensive because we hate the guy, etc.  That’s what I am talking about in terms of the main example here.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:05:08 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »
High basketball IQ
Heady
Traditional
Has some surprising hops
Scrappy
High motor
Gamer
Sneaky athletic
Gritty
Winner
Good fundamentals
Plays the game the right way
Lunch pail guy
cerebral
Intangibles
Gets the most out of his abilities
Has a lot of heart

Someone should create an app so we aren’t upsetting people inadvertently.

What is Buckyville Bingo?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

burger

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 12:10:58 PM »
JFB was in Brazil partying with Neymar last week......

I wish I had a wife that would allow that.....LOL......

Jimmy is not married......

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
What is Buckyville Bingo?

LOL

Coach’s son needs to be added
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
Exactly the point.  If the main example in this thread that was used was someone else, say from a different philosophical bent, would they have been given a free pass like the main example was?  Or would it have destroyed the person?  Thus...the stunning hypocrisy in the outrage or lack there of.  I’m asking for the consistency part on that front.

You can’t decide because A says something it is merely cringeworthy, but if B says the same thing it is the worst thing ever stated.  The application of the outrage is comically hypocritical is what I am saying.

It either is or isn’t offensive.  It isn’t less so because we like the one guy or he shares our ideology, or more so offensive because we hate the guy, etc.  That’s what I am talking about in terms of the main example here.

While impact matters, most, intent does matter when deciding how to respond. If someone is intentionally saying something to offend, I think that warrants a different response than someone who meant something positive but unintentionally offended someone, no?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
Alright, mea culpa.  I will never use the term “well-spoken” again, nor will I try to justify its use in my OP.

Jimmy has a ton of charisma and a good sense of humor.  He also seems to have an easy way with people when he wants to, even if that’s not who he is behind closed doors.  He’ll have a future in television if he wants one, I think.

Absolutely, I find him to be the most entertaining former Marquette player... by a large margin.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
While impact matters, most, intent does matter when deciding how to respond. If someone is intentionally saying something to offend, I think that warrants a different response than someone who meant something positive but unintentionally offended someone, no?

In this case the impact was zero and the intent was pure and people still took offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2019, 12:48:59 PM »
In this case the impact was zero and the intent was pure and people still took offense.

Who took offense?

Also, you assume the impact is zero. Maybe it was, but just because it was zero to you doesn't mean it was zero to everyone.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:56:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
So how about that JFB guy? He sure is a human being who plays basketball quite well, hey?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2019, 01:36:42 PM »
Absolutely, I find him to be the most entertaining former Marquette player... by a large margin.

I think that Wes Matthews and Jimmy Butler would be a good announcing combo. Wes could get through the material with his winning smile, and Jimmy could be the disrupting influence trying to get laughs.

Anyone have a better All-Time Marquette tv talk show combo?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
Looks like chicos haspoisoned this thread with yet another semantical argument.  Is there any thread on this board that he hasnt poisoned that i could view, any help appreciated in advance.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
I like that way that you speak. You are a great storyteller. I enjoy listening to what you have to say. They are an eloquent speaker. They have a way of explaining things so I can understand them...etc.

Or if you know the person and you think they will take it as a compliment, you can say well spoken or articulate. But if they don't take it as a compliment, don't get defensive about it. That's really the key point to this.
Just don't say any of those things too much or they will become "code" for a back-handed compliment of persons of color.  That is the way language works.  Mentally Retarded originally described a low IQ person in some sort of medical term, replacing offensive terms like stupid or moron or simple or whatever.  Over time we decided that mentally retarded was insensitive and we switched to mentally challenged.  Now we have decided that is offensive and we will move to something else.  In a few years whatever we moved to will be deemed insensitive and we will move to something else.   Same thing with the N word to Negro to black to African American to person of color, etc.

Everything in our world is moving at accelerated speed now.  These cycles of word usage used to be longer.  Get used to it.  Do your best to not offend, apologize if necessary and move on. 

It would also be nice if people tried to interpret the remarks of other in a charitable manner and not assume comments were meant in the worst possible way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:05:39 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Just don't say any of those things to much or they will become "code" for a back-handed compliment of persons of color.  That is the way language works.  Mentally Retarded originally described a low IQ person in some sort of medical term, replacing offensive terms like stupid or moron or simple or whatever.  Over time we decided that mentally retarded was insensitive and we switched to mentally challenged.  Now we have decided that is offensive and we will move to something else.  In a few years whatever we moved to will be deemed insensitive and we will move to something else.   Same thing with the N word to Negro to black to African American to person of color, etc.

Everything in our world is moving at accelerated speed now.  These cycles of word usage used to be longer.  Get used to it.  Do your best to not offend, apologize if necessary and move on. 

It would also be nice if people tried to interpret the remarks of other in a charitable manner and assume comments were meant in the worst possible way.

This is a home run post.

Also, never underestimate how righteous and empowering it can feel to give someone a stick of gum and show them how to chew it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
Just don't say any of those things to much or they will become "code" for a back-handed compliment of persons of color.  That is the way language works.  Mentally Retarded originally described a low IQ person in some sort of medical term, replacing offensive terms like stupid or moron or simple or whatever.  Over time we decided that mentally retarded was insensitive and we switched to mentally challenged.  Now we have decided that is offensive and we will move to something else.  In a few years whatever we moved to will be deemed insensitive and we will move to something else.   Same thing with the N word to Negro to black to African American to person of color, etc.

It would also be nice if people tried to interpret the remarks of other in a charitable manner and assume comments were meant in the worst possible way.

+1

I just hope I can stay nimble the rest of my career and life and accept and adapt all the way to the end.  If I don’t I will be obsolete and frustrated and I don’t want to waste energy ending up there.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2019, 03:45:21 PM »
+1

I just hope I can stay nimble the rest of my career and life and accept and adapt all the way to the end.  If I don’t I will be obsolete and frustrated and I don’t want to waste energy ending up there.

Could you imagine? Wasting your energy and leisure time arguing on message boards or something inane like that?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
Fair enough, a good standard to live by. But OTOH, I know people who routinely take offense on behalf of people who aren't offended in the least.

Yes. Another way in which Al McGuire was light years ahead of his time and such a treasure to behold. Al had an obscure saying that people need to let a “a world be a world.” He saw the seeds of political correctness gone amok being planted way back in the ‘70s. The ironic thing is that Al’s genius was in being so authentic and genuine that he transcended his own existence. He felt probably more comfortable in the roughest parts of the inner city than in a board meeting at CBS. He had a knack for saying things with so much color and passion without offending anyone in the slightest. The most delicious irony of all is that though he would probably be banned from coaching today due to his authenticity and lack of a “filter”, he stood as a pioneer and leader almost on a par with UTEP coach Don Haskins in breaking down barriers, overcoming overt racism and opening the NCAA game up to African Americans. His epic retort to racist Kentucky coach Rupp...”Coach, with all due respect, unless you plan on putting me in your will, don’t ever refer to me as ‘Son’!”....did more than garner hysterical laughs in the press room. It drew battle lines which helped to usher in a new era of openness.

Sad that the greatest defenders of equality of opportunity, liberty, honor, and doing the right thing would probably be banned from the sport today for their candor and authenticity. Al had another quote that I think captured his essence...”half of life is what people don’t allow themselves to see.”  I always saw it as “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes”, but I think Al was lamenting his own life at the top of the college basketball universe and how sometimes with worldly success, it is easy to overlook the struggles of those less fortunate than us. Al always heard that soft inner voice which, amongst his own sometimes brash persona, often called him to make a few “left turns” in life. He always took time to make time for the most vulnerable people he encountered. Imagine that, the least PC guy who ever lived probably had the biggest heart of all.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »
I think that Wes Matthews and Jimmy Butler would be a good announcing combo. Wes could get through the material with his winning smile, and Jimmy could be the disrupting influence trying to get laughs.

Anyone have a better All-Time Marquette tv talk show combo?
Something with Lazar would be pretty good.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »

I generally agree with you here. As language evolves, all you can do is try to keep up and do your best to be respectful. When you screw up (I know I have) apologize and try to do better in the future.

Kudos to RR, I think he did that admirably.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »
Thanks to CT Warrior, Skatas, TAMU, Hards, Brew, Research, Barro, Fluffy, Frenns and Dancer. Some days I learn things on Scoop and for that I'm grateful.

Going forward, I will be mindful of how quickly language changes. And I'll try to always consider how my words/thoughts are taken, not just how they were intended.

For me, though, I will continue to try to give the benefit of the doubt to people's intent and choose as my friends people who do likewise. I think that's the way for positive, optimistic, and ultimately happy people to approach life. There are so many things that are truly offensive - I don't want to spend a lot of time with people who are looking for excuses to feel that way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:25:55 PM by Lennys Tap »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
Thanks to CT Warrior, Skatas, TAMU, Hards, Brew, Research, Barro, Fluffy, Frenns and Dancer. Some days I learn things on Scoop and for that I'm grateful.

Going forward, I will be mindful of how quickly language changes. And I'll try to always consider how my words/thoughts are taken, not just how they were intended.

For me, though, I will continue to try to give the benefit of the doubt to people's intent and choose as my friends people who do likewise. I think that's the way for positive, optimistic, and ultimately happy people to approach life. There are so many things that are truly offensive - I don't want to spend a lot of time with people who are looking for excuses to feel that way.

+1

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »

Intent should matter 100%.  I don’t understand how people can judge others hearts without knowing what is in them, but this is the society we live in today.  Yes, intent matters.  My personal opinion is we are also awfully sensitive in this world, but that opinion isn’t going to carry much water here....that is fine. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
Intent should matter 100%.  I don’t understand how people can judge others hearts without knowing what is in them, but this is the society we live in today.  Yes, intent matters.  My personal opinion is we are also awfully sensitive in this world, but that opinion isn’t going to carry much water here....that is fine.

I don’t think anyone is calling anyone a bad person over this. Just saying, “hey you might want to use a different phrase next time.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
I don’t think anyone is calling anyone a bad person over this. Just saying, “hey you might want to use a different phrase next time.”

Plenty of people have called others bad, racist, evil, etc here over the years.  This thread not withstanding. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
Plenty of people have called others bad, racist, evil, etc here over the years.  This thread not withstanding.

Care for a tissue?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »

Impact has to matter too, because one will never grow if they just think they have perfect motives and are never willing to learn & improve themselves based on the impact they have.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.