[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA  (Read 27011 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »
I like the idea of show rooms and trial centers.  There are only a few things I would add.

1.) A car is a big purchase, so I'm not sure I would be comfortable just driving on a track.  How about being able to take it on the streets I drive everyday?  Maybe even borrow the vehicle for a few hours, make sure it fits in the garage and show it to my family, (my wife hates going to trial centers)?

2.) After borrowing the vehicle for a little bit, I may want to buy this exact vehicle right now.  I think these trial centers should allow me to purchase the car today.

3.) But, I already have a car that I need to get rid of.  It would be cool if these trial centers accepted my old car, and used the equity to lower the price of my new car. 

4.) I can't afford to write a check for the entirety of my new car, so if the trial center could contact a bank, or maybe several banks, and give me financing options, I'd appreciate it.  Maybe the same guy at the trial center can price out extended warranties.

5.) Maybe attach these trial centers to service, parts, and body shop departments.  People seem to like stuff like that.

Literally none of those things apply to me, or many other people.

I pay cash for cars. But If I was going to finance, I'd do it through my credit union.

I don't mind waiting a bit for the right vehicle, as long as it is not in the dealership waiting room. I'll wait a few weeks to have it delivered. 

I'd rather sell my car on the private market, where I will actually get a fair price for it.

Extended warranties are not worth it.

Service centers at dealerships are a rip off. Only good for warranty service. I prefer a trusted independent mechanic.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:45:46 PM by Coleman »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
I like the idea of show rooms and trial centers.  There are only a few things I would add.

1.) A car is a big purchase, so I'm not sure I would be comfortable just driving on a track.  How about being able to take it on the streets I drive everyday?  Maybe even borrow the vehicle for a few hours, make sure it fits in the garage and show it to my family, (my wife hates going to trial centers)?

2.) After borrowing the vehicle for a little bit, I may want to buy this exact vehicle right now.  I think these trial centers should allow me to purchase the car today.

3.) But, I already have a car that I need to get rid of.  It would be cool if these trial centers accepted my old car, and used the equity to lower the price of my new car. 

4.) I can't afford to write a check for the entirety of my new car, so if the trial center could contact a bank, or maybe several banks, and give me financing options, I'd appreciate it.  Maybe the same guy at the trial center can price out extended warranties.

5.) Maybe attach these trial centers to service, parts, and body shop departments.  People seem to like stuff like that.

Sounds to me an awful lot like a dealership.

Look, I have had car dealers I love and car dealers I couldn't stand. I've recounted a few stories in here but the conclusion I draw is that a car dealer should know the ins and outs of what he or she is selling. Most do.

A car dealer is active in the communities they serve. They're competitive and they fight like heck for business.

They're actually pretty good folks. They're sales folks and their goal is to give you a good deal on a good car so you'll come back.

I'm not sure I'd get excited at GM selling directly. They already have enough control over franchises.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »
LOL, and how do you think the manufacturer makes up for those payoffs to dealerships?

They raise MSRP. Which drives costs up. Whatever way you slice it, dealers add to cost.

Yeah.  So?  I never implied otherwise.  You are LOLing are your own reading comprehension skills.  I was speaking to certain individual circumstances.  Like I said, obviously dealers have to make money to be viable.  This is the same thing for every sales channel. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
Sounds to me an awful lot like a dealership.

That was his point. Those are things dealers assume people want, but most actually don't.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »
Tesla also has a 7 day return policy for any reason.

There's your "extended test drive." Another reason to not need a dealership model.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2020, 03:15:48 PM »
I am team dealership.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback