[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA  (Read 27013 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:15 AM »
Also a Mazda fan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I like Mazdas, the Maxda6 is arguably the most fun mid size to drive in my opinion. I also like the quiet, low maintenance of the Accord or Camry. Car is mostly major metro area driving, possibly weekend road trips. But we often rent a car for those.

i like the CX-5, goes back to I believe 2013. The 13, 14, 16 brakes score in Consumer Reports was not good. (Not that CR is the be all end all)....other years fine...had lower score for noise in 13, 15. But most scores were strong especially recent years.

The car is likely to eventually possibly to get passed around to a few people so it is not a quick answer as type of driver. It probably isn't the only one I am buying but I am starting with this

Generally I like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai (interior spaces a bit smaller) Mazda brands. i coule probably win the lottery and not spend $60-75k on a luxury car. I would rather put that money into other things. Just my preference. I have had a few family members in the car business but they own brands I didn't prefer while they drive luxury cars for themselves. So I am not going to them, lol

We can always trade something in and upgrade in the future. I have never bought used before and I often bought new from people I knew in the past, so that is really the big difference for me this time. 

I am generally a mid size car small suv person as long as it isn't a big group of people need for larger. Won't need that here. So small suv, mid size or compact for this one.

I prefer to just ride the subway (or get a car service) and call it a day, but I have driven a lot over the years either for fun road trips or with clients for work, including all over some states.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:59:35 AM by shoothoops »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I like Mazdas, the Maxda6 is arguably the most fun mid size to drive in my opinion. I also like the quiet, low maintenance of the Accord or Camry. Car is mostly major metro area driving, possibly weekend road trips. But we often rent a car for those.

i like the CX-5, goes back to I believe 2013. The 13, 14, 16 brakes score in Consumer Reports was not good. (Not that CR is the be all end all)....other years fine...had lower score for noise in 13, 15. But most scores were strong especially recent years.

The car is likely to eventually possibly to get passed around to a few people so it is not a quick answer as type of driver. It probably isn't the only one I am buying but I am starting with this

Generally I like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai (interior spaces a bit smaller) Mazda brands. i coule probably win the lottery and not spend $60-75k on a luxury car. I would rather put that money into other things. Just my preference. I have had a few family members in the car business but they own brands I didn't prefer while they drive luxury cars for themselves. So I am not going to them, lol

We can always trade something in and upgrade in the future. I have never bought used before and I often bought new from people I knew in the past, so that is really the big difference for me this time. 

I am generally a mid size car small suv person as long as it isn't a big group of people need for larger. Won't need that here. So small suv, mid size or compact for this one.

I prefer to just ride the subway (or get a car service) and call it a day, but I have driven a lot over the years either for fun road trips or with clients for work, including all over some states.

Own a Mazdaspeed6 and its a lot of fun to drive.  Have you considered a Tesla 3?  They start under 40k.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2020, 11:10:04 AM »
Also a big Mazda fan.

We've owned a 3, a 6, and 2 Miatas/MX-5s.

Glow jr is still driving the 3.  It's closing in on 200K miles.  He will probably be looking for a newer car this fall, but in the meantime, it's a perfect car to own in urban Seattle - it's reliable and he doesn't worry about someone dinging it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:21:41 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »
That is good info, thanks. I like the hatchback version too. I was curious about Mazdas longer term and how they hold up vs say a Toyota or Honda which I know are two of the best long term. I know very recent models have been well received.

I've had various cars but I keep coming back to these mentioned brands. I had a new Grand Cherokee once, and while I know they are much better now, it had many issues with electrical, etc....and I know mileage is still bad. I got tired of going to the gas station so frequently too.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:26:55 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:19 AM »
Own a Mazdaspeed6 and its a lot of fun to drive.  Have you considered a Tesla 3?  They start under 40k.

I haven't. I have a friend in D.C. that drives a compact car around Th District to fit into tight spots and a Tesla for fun. He's a big fan.  Probably not in consideration this time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
That is good info, thanks. I like the hatchback version too. I was curious about Mazdas longer term and how they hold up vs say a Toyota or Honda which I know are two of the best long term. I know very recent models have been well received.

I've had various cars but I keep coming back to these mentioned brands. I had a new Grand Cherokee once, and while I know they are much better now, it had many issues with electrical, etc....and I know mileage is still bad. I got tired of going to the gas station so frequently too.

Jeep products are the least reliable vehicles you can own.  Stay away!

Our 2013 CX-5 has only needed routine maintenance and is at 130k.  Brakes, tires, and oil

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »
CX-9 is our family wagon.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
  Don't sleep on Kias or Hyundai either. 

If the buying used these both have the longest warranty in the business and the 2nd owner might have a long factory warranty still in place.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2020, 09:55:08 AM »
Add me to the list of Mazda fans. Love my Mazda 6.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
If the buying used these both have the longest warranty in the business and the 2nd owner might have a long factory warranty still in place.

I believe Hyundai is 5 year 60k mile 2nd owner, new vehicle warranty...Toyota and Honda are 3 year 36k miles, not sure about Mazda, have to look up.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2020, 11:05:22 AM »

Typically the warranty, or at least the powertrain part of it, is non transferable. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »
Typically the warranty, or at least the powertrain part of it, is non transferable. 

shoothoops nailed it

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
I have an '09 Explorer with ~130,000 miles, and I plan on driving it into the ground. It's been a great car for me (knock on wood) thus far. Named her Jackie. Cars are better to you if you name them.

Explorer with a Marquette license plate -> Jacques Marquette -> Jackie. No brainer
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2020, 01:15:27 PM »
I have an '09 Explorer with ~130,000 miles, and I plan on driving it into the ground. It's been a great car for me (knock on wood) thus far. Named her Jackie. Cars are better to you if you name them.

Explorer with a Marquette license plate -> Jacques Marquette -> Jackie. No brainer

I dig it

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »

You guys are a bunch of wimps. I have a '03 Highlander with 285,000 miles on it and expect it to go for 350,000. Had a Chevy van for business. I think the guy who bought the business had well over 300,000 on it before he bought a new one. 130,000 miles? Kids stuff!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »
I am in my 10th year of ownership of my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, by far the longest I've owned a car.

It just needed work on one of the axles and I was very pleasantly surprised to learn the entire thing was covered under the 10-year powertrain warranty. Cost to me: $0.00 -- on a 9 1/2 year old car! Pretty cool, and definitely something I will think about when it's time for me to get my next car.

And yes, as others have said, only the original owner gets that warranty. I actually had to sign something verifying that I was the car's only owner.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
I am in my 10th year of ownership of my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, by far the longest I've owned a car.

It just needed work on one of the axles and I was very pleasantly surprised to learn the entire thing was covered under the 10-year powertrain warranty. Cost to me: $0.00 -- on a 9 1/2 year old car! Pretty cool, and definitely something I will think about when it's time for me to get my next car.

And yes, as others have said, only the original owner gets that warranty. I actually had to sign something verifying that I was the car's only owner.

That's impressive. Great timing on your part

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

I have 06 Explorer with around 200,000+ miles on it.  My older daughter loves driving it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2020, 07:18:07 AM »
Some follow up:

Does anyone have any experience/feedback buying from online places such as Csrvana or Vroom?

Does anyone have any experience buying through wholesale club such as Sam's or Costco?

What about non-new car dealers, used car places? Meaning places with vehicles included on many websites sold for a bit less but possibly less put into the vehicles.

What about Craigslist type of experiences?

Much of my past.buying experience has been with new car dealers.

Thanks..

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
Some follow up:

Does anyone have any experience/feedback buying from online places such as Carvana or Vroom?

My co-worker bought a used vehicle via Vroom.   He had a positive experience.  The truck was in good condition. they brought it to his driveway and took his used vehicle away.   Everything was like clockwork.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
Wooda figured most of y'all drove Subaru or Prius, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
Bought a couple of cars from Carmax. Very hassle - free process, but they tend to be a little pricier than haggling with a dealer.

Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
Wooda figured most of y'all drove Subaru or Prius, hey?

Are you're implying you drive a pickup that rolls coal with Trump bumper stickers and the confederate battle flag from the rusted out bed?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
Some follow up:

Does anyone have any experience/feedback buying from online places such as Csrvana or Vroom?

Does anyone have any experience buying through wholesale club such as Sam's or Costco?

What about non-new car dealers, used car places? Meaning places with vehicles included on many websites sold for a bit less but possibly less put into the vehicles.

What about Craigslist type of experiences?

Much of my past.buying experience has been with new car dealers.

Thanks..

General advice when buying a used car from anyone is to take it to an auto repair shop during the test drive and pay them to give it a once over.

Anyone that doesn't let you do that is probably trying to hide something from you.

feedback