[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA to tighten transfer rules  (Read 20071 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
NCAA to tighten transfer rules
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
Here you go, have at it.  People abuse the process and that’s why they tighten the rules.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842860-ncaa-expected-to-pass-guidelines-limiting-transfer-athletes-waiver-eligibility
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: NCAA to tighten transfer rules
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
Dumb.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
Absolutely. Gotta keep the workers under the thumbs of the masters whenever possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
I'm sure, somehow, this is in the athletes' best interest.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
Dumb.
It's only surprising when the NCAA comes up with something that's NOT dumb.

I can just imagine getting a tour of their headquarters:  "here's the department for the enslavement of teenagers, and on your left is the department for making up silly rules.  Down the hall is our center for incompetence in officiating, and one story up and through a security barrier and the departments of denial and blame games.  Secure in the basement is the directorate for pretending FBI investigations are not happening"
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Absolutely. Gotta keep the workers under the thumbs of the masters whenever possible.

I wish the masters at Arby's kept their workers under bigger thumbs.  All this talk about roast beef makes me hungry, but I still can't get over what they were doing to the horsey sauce.

Imagine what newspapers would be if there were no thumbs... one'd have to wade through a few dozen articles - mostly about who has bigger tits, ______ or John Kruk - before finding an off-hand mention of the score of last week's game.  Thank God and pasta monsters for the Internet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »
Glad they are clarifying it for all.  Too much ambiguity last few years with potential abuse going on.  Of course some of you want full free agency, so I'm not surprised at the responses.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
I just want the players to have the exact same level of free agency that the coaches do.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
As Quinten Grimes is trying to get a wavier to play immediately at Houston next season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
Great! #StudentsFirst #Caring
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
I just want the players to have the exact same level of free agency that the coaches do.

This. 1,000 times this.  The NCAA once again moves in the wrong direction. Fools.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
So you want them to pay a scholarship buyout fee to move from one school to another?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »
So you want them to pay a scholarship buyout fee to move from one school to another?

Sure ... if the new school pays the buyout fee, which is exactly what happens with the coaches.

I was stunned when Barnes said the reason he didn't go to UCLA was that they wouldn't pay to buy him out of his Tennessee contract. But then he admitted that he lied about it and that UCLA was willing to pay. They all are.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »

This. Whether it's the new school or the player.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
Sure ... if the new school pays the buyout fee, which is exactly what happens with the coaches.

I was stunned when Barnes said the reason he didn't go to UCLA was that they wouldn't pay to buy him out of his Tennessee contract. But then he admitted that he lied about it and that UCLA was willing to pay. They all are.
So if Duke wants to pay for Markus' last year of scholarship, you are OK with that?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
So if Duke wants to pay for Markus' last year of scholarship, you are OK with that?

Sure. Especially if Markus stays at Marquette.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »

Yes, players should be free to do whatever they feel is best for them. Anything else is dumb.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
Yes, players should be free to do whatever they feel is best for them. Anything else is dumb.
So, it would be OK if Sam and Joey would have left once the losing streak started?  Oh wait, they did.  No, players shouldn't be able to do WHATEVER they feel is best. There has to be consequences for actions. I think most people are trying to change the wrong side of this. I feel coaches should have to sit out a year if they want to break their contract. Sort of a covenant not to compete.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
The editor of the Marquette Tribune gets a scholarship.

If she wants to leave Marquette for University X after the year, she does not have to sit out a year before she can be editor at the University X Gazette.

The same goes for the scholarship tuba player, the scholarship drama student and the scholarship engineer.

Athletes should have the same freedom of movement.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 06:19:50 PM »

If she wants to leave Marquette for University X after the year, she does not have to sit out a year before she can be editor at the University X Gazette.

The same goes for the scholarship tuba player, the scholarship drama student and the scholarship engineer.

Newspapers are dead, so that is a bad example.There are many nuances that you are leaving out. Budgets for recruiting a way different, the $$ brought in by these athletes is way different. As I tried to say above, its similar to a covenant not to compete. I think the athletes should be compensated a lot more than they are currently, but I think there needs to be restrictions on transferring.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »

Except a player like Isaiah canon and ja Morant can set Murray States budget up for the next few years. Take away the penalty and they're off to the major conferences. I'm fine with taking away the year in waiting if there's an exchange of money or at least recommendation for the scholarship.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Newspapers are dead, so that is a bad example.There are many nuances that you are leaving out. Budgets for recruiting a way different, the $$ brought in by these athletes is way different. As I tried to say above, its similar to a covenant not to compete. I think the athletes should be compensated a lot more than they are currently, but I think there needs to be restrictions on transferring.

I don't have consequences for leaving a job I do not enjoy. Why should there be consequences for players making money for their schools? Again, dumb.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 09:12:42 PM »
Except a player like Isaiah canon and ja Morant can set Murray States budget up for the next few years. Take away the penalty and they're off to the major conferences. I'm fine with taking away the year in waiting if there's an exchange of money or at least recommendation for the scholarship.

Why should Isaiah Cannon or Ja Morant be responsible for Murray State's budget?
Are you suggesting a European soccer transfer model for players?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 09:29:49 PM »
Why should Isaiah Cannon or Ja Morant be responsible for Murray State's budget?
Are you suggesting a European soccer transfer model for players?

They shouldn't be, but if a school invested in them when nobody else would, they should be rewarded for that and if they can't reap the rewards a player would bring then the top school reaping them should pay the immediately eligible penalty.

I don't know enough about the model to say for sure that's what I'm suggesting but from what I do know it would be similar. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
I don't have consequences for leaving a job I do not enjoy. Why should there be consequences for players making money for their schools? Again, dumb.

The issue is that it’s about education. Student-athletes are being PROTECTED by the transfer rules. Sit a year to get acclimated, yet still be on scholarship.  Great setup!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.