[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA to tighten transfer rules  (Read 20297 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: NCAA to tighten transfer rules
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »
The issue is that it’s about education. Student-athletes are being PROTECTED by the transfer rules. Sit a year to get acclimated, yet still be on scholarship.  Great setup!

;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
You want to be a pro, go to the G League and sell yourself for endorsement rights.  Pretty simple.

No one is stopping anyone from doing that.  There are alternatives. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
You want to be a pro, go to the G League and sell yourself for endorsement rights.  Pretty simple.

No one is stopping anyone from doing that.  There are alternatives.

OK.... And?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
McDonald’s should be forced to offer lobster...it’s a restaurant and therefore they must conform and not be allowed to have their own rules, menu, approach. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 11:15:01 PM »
McDonald’s should be forced to offer lobster...it’s a restaurant and therefore they must conform and not be allowed to have their own rules, menu, approach.

Okay, until you feel like offering a real conversation and not an asinine "analogy" I'm done talking to you in this thread.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »
Why should Isaiah Cannon or Ja Morant be responsible for Murray State's budget?
Are you suggesting a European soccer transfer model for players?

This.

Isn't it interesting to hear people who otherwise argue for the free market say the opposite should be true for college athletes?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 12:58:45 AM »
Okay, until you feel like offering a real conversation and not an asinine "analogy" I'm done talking to you in this thread.

It’s not.  College ball isn’t professional, stop trying to make it so.  You want pro ball, go play pro ball.  You want a scholarship an$ an education, your other alternative is college basketball.  You have a choice.  Stop making it into something it is not, for the same reason McDonald’s is a restaurant but not a Michelin 5 star restaurant...despite both serving food to customers. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 06:30:33 AM »
This.

Isn't it interesting to hear people who otherwise argue for the free market say the opposite should be true for college athletes?

I know right, its so funny to me. I pointed this out on the last go around. A stark republican like Cheeks and a stark Democrat like pakuni actually do a 180 on their views when it comes to this one scenario. It's crazy how that works.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 07:02:52 AM »

I don't have consequences for leaving a job I do not enjoy. Why should there be consequences for players making money for their schools? Again, dumb.
Maybe one day you will grow up and work at a job where your talents are valued, and they have you sign a noncompete.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 07:39:56 AM »
Maybe one day you will grow up and work at a job where your talents are valued, and they have you sign a noncompete.

So you want to treat NCAA athletes as employees who are working at a job?
Cool. They can now form a union and bargain for things like better compensation, health benefits, hours, etc.

I mean, Mark Emmert and the schools have fought that tooth and nail, but I'm with you on this one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 07:42:19 AM »
The issue is that it’s about education. Student-athletes are being PROTECTED by the transfer rules. Sit a year to get acclimated, yet still be on scholarship.  Great setup!

If students need a year to get acclimated, we need to return to the days when freshmen couldn't play.
Cause it's all about education.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
I know right, its so funny to me. I pointed this out on the last go around. A stark republican like Cheeks and a stark Democrat like pakuni actually do a 180 on their views when it comes to this one scenario. It's crazy how that works.

FYI ... people who know me in the real world would never describe me that way. And, fyi, even here I can't think of a time I've said anything 180 from a free market.

Not to go too far astray, but nobody wants a truly free market. We all just puck and choose the level of freedom and for whom based on our values and biases.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
So you want to treat NCAA athletes as employees who are working at a job?
Cool. They can now form a union and bargain for things like better compensation, health benefits, hours, etc.

I mean, Mark Emmert and the schools have fought that tooth and nail, but I'm with you on this one.
I think they should get paid, and should form a players association.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »

OK. We agree.
And if the colleges want to seek a one-year no compete for transfers as part of a CBA, that should be their right.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2019, 08:02:44 AM »

I laughed.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2019, 08:05:26 AM »

If it was a rule intended to protect student-athletes, it would probably apply to...I don’t know...most student athletes. But, since it’s a rule that applies to only a small minority of student-athletes, I have to wonder if the goal might be something other than to protect the student-athletes. If only I could put my finger on what the small group where it applies has in common, I might be able to figure out the rule’s intent. But I’m $tumped.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:09:39 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
In before the lock.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
In before the lock.

The Jessie thread is somehow still alive in the superbar. This must be safe.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »
If students need a year to get acclimated, we need to return to the days when freshmen couldn't play.
Cause it's all about education.

Fine with me.  Tremendous idea.  You want to get paid, go pro.  You want to get an education and also have a chance to go pro, go to college.  Simple.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »

I’m not a Republican, let alone stark.  I have been a registered Dem and GOP in my life, have been neither for easily a decade.  More libertarian than anything.  I have many views on things that don’t fit into your identity politics....or policies...despite you labeling me as.  I haven’t voted for the GOP pres candidate for multiple elections so how can I be a stark member as you claim?  Now Stop with the politics.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:23:37 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »

Could not disagree more.  Title IX.  Lost opportunities.  Total destruction of the system that will have you no longer cheering for MU, except at intramural sand club sports.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
Fine with me.  Tremendous idea.  You want to get paid, go pro.  You want to get an education and also have a chance to go pro, go to college.  Simple.
Coaches get paid. Trainers get paid. Administrators get paid. SIDs get paid. Ticket sellers get paid. Merchandise makers and sellers get paid. Universities get paid.
But yeah, these are amateur athletics.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »
Could not disagree more.  Title IX.  Lost opportunities.  Total destruction of the system that will have you no longer cheering for MU, except at intramural sand club sports.

Marquette will be fine, Me. Little.
And why preserve a system that provides free college educations to primarily white upper- and middle-class kids (those in non revenue spprts) through the labor of primarily lower-class black kids (i.e. the football and men's basketball players)?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
And why preserve a system that provides free college educations to primarily white upper- and middle-class kids (those in non revenue spprts) through the labor of primarily lower-class black kids (i.e. the football and men's basketball players)?

What data do you have on this? What does 'primarily' mean?

I think your claim is, how u say, FALSE.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »
Non revenue sports are net tuition payers .  Small amount of scholarships spread over an entire team .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback