[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154329 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2019, 11:27:51 AM »
The Big East has made it official: UCConn athletics will return to the conference. A few details of note:

• The year of entry is yet to be determined
• UConn's return comes during the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Big East in 1979
• There's a subtle repositioning from talking about "basketball focus." Big East Commisioner Val Ackerman said, "As a group of schools rooted in basketball pre-eminence, we can think of no better partner than UConn to join us in perpetuating the rivalries, traditions and successes that have made the Big East unlike any other conference in college basketball."
• Mentions of the Huskies men's and women's basketball programs in the Big East press release, as well as field hockey and women's lacrosse -- but no mention of football whatsoever
• The Big East press release closes on a curious note: "The Big East was represented in this matter by the law firm of Proskauer Rose. Allen & Company also provided advisory services to the conference."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27067848/big-east-officially-announces-uconn-return

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/6/27/general-big-east-announces-readmission-of-university-of-connecticut.aspx
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
• The Big East press release closes on a curious note: "The Big East was represented in this matter by the law firm of Proskauer Rose. Allen & Company also provided advisory services to the conference."

That is actually pretty standard in transactions (like M&A). The banks and law firms push very hard for this inclusion - always the issuers decision but they push very hard for it.  Everyone loves publicity!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
And from UConn's site:

https://today.uconn.edu/2019/06/uconn-returns-big-east-conference/#

Looks like the same exact release as the one on the Big East site. No mention of football.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Off topic but can anyone quote bo ellis’s comment after the 1974 loss to nc state about not the right place ir time but we will be back...
TIA
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »
I think you mean Siberian husky.

maybe I'm sheltered but I've never seen an all white Siberian Husky.  My wife wants one of the reddish ones as you don't see them as much. 

Maybe the designer of the UConn mascot created a Samoyed in error?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
And from UConn's site:

https://today.uconn.edu/2019/06/uconn-returns-big-east-conference/#

Looks like the same exact release as the one on the Big East site. No mention of football.

since football is not a member of the Big East Conference they wouldn't be able to or have any reason to mention it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
The Big East has made it official: UCConn athletics will return to the conference. A few details of note:

• The year of entry is yet to be determined
• UConn's return comes during the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Big East in 1979
• There's a subtle repositioning from talking about "basketball focus." Big East Commisioner Val Ackerman said, "As a group of schools rooted in basketball pre-eminence, we can think of no better partner than UConn to join us in perpetuating the rivalries, traditions and successes that have made the Big East unlike any other conference in college basketball."
• Mentions of the Huskies men's and women's basketball programs in the Big East press release, as well as field hockey and women's lacrosse -- but no mention of football whatsoever

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27067848/big-east-officially-announces-uconn-return

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/6/27/general-big-east-announces-readmission-of-university-of-connecticut.aspx

UNANIMOUS as it should be and predicted
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's correct.  Here's the contract.  See Section 2(d).

I acknowledged
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
An article from the New Haven Register mentions a couple other details:

• UConn will not be eligible to receive financial awards (NCAA tournament units, etc.) accrued by other Big East schools prior to UConn's entrance
• The UConn football program is allowed to solicit an invitation to any conference except the Power Five (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-10, SEC)
• One fan (a 2015 alum) addressed the UConn board regarding the move, pleading that it reconsider its "short-sighted decision" to join the Big East and send the athletics program into "conference purgatory" -- adding that the move will "slit the throat" of the UConn football program

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/It-s-official-UConn-is-back-in-the-Big-East-14051900.php#item-85307-tbla-5

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
since football is not a member of the Big East Conference they wouldn't be able to or have any reason to mention it.

Men's and women's hockey aren't part of the BE conference either.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:39:41 PM by Farley36 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
I acknowledged

Maybe I misunderstood the original message...thanks

It seemed you weren't positive -- no harm in that -- so I clarified for everyone.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »
An article from the New Haven Register mentions a couple other details:

• UConn will not be eligible to receive financial awards (NCAA tournament units, etc.) accrued by other Big East schools prior to UConn's entrance
• The UConn football program is allowed to solicit an invitation to any conference except the Power Five (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-10, SEC)
• One fan (a 2015 alum) addressed the UConn board regarding the move, pleading that it reconsider its "short-sighted decision" to join the Big East and send the athletics program into "conference purgatory" -- adding that the move will "slit the throat" of the UConn football program

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/It-s-official-UConn-is-back-in-the-Big-East-14051900.php#item-85307-tbla-5

Good for Val and Co.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2019, 01:08:53 PM »

I think that throat was slit awhile ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »
Where is dayton flyer when they need him?? 😂😂

At AAMCO getting his Cavalier transmission replaced.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
Can anyone help me on the bo ellis quote?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

and I did not see them mentioned. However, Field Hockey, which the Big East sponsors and UConn has remained a member, was.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
This is disgusting and I for one cannot believe we are associating with such a dirty program:

Among the most serious allegations:

• Former men's basketball student managers attended preseason pickup games played by student-athletes. According to the NCAA, the pickup games became countable athletically related activity when the managers attended the games, kept statistics and regularly printed, copied and distributed them to coaches.

The NCAA alleged that Ollie was aware that the games took place and didn't report them to the compliance staff or ask if they were permissible. He also failed to monitor the managers' actions to ensure the games followed NCAA rules.

• The program's former video coordinator reviewed plays with and answered questions for student-athletes on and off the basketball court. The NCAA committee determined that the instruction exceeded the responsibilities of the video coordinator's position, causing him to become a countable coach and the program to exceed its countable coaches limit.

• Trainer Derek Hamilton, who was Ollie's friend and became a booster of the university, provided free on- and off-campus training sessions to three UConn players.

While at the off-campus training sessions, the trainer also provided free lodging, meals, transportation and access to a private gym. The committee noted that the impermissible benefits resulted in the student-athletes competing while ineligible.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:59:03 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
This is disgusting and I for one cannot believe we are associating with such a dirty program:

Some programs cheat to win games; UConn cheated in order to erase its men's basketball association with the AAC. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »

These rule breakers deserve to be dissolved from the NCAA.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #270 on: July 03, 2019, 12:04:35 AM »

Perhaps the first time the NCAA had a school begging them to find something, anything, and hit them with sanctions.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #271 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »

That's because Div 1 hockey is weird.  There's Big 10 hockey, but every other conference is hockey only.  UConn and Providence already both play in Hockey East with a bunch of other New England schools.  I think they're the only Big East schools that sponsor hockey.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
That's because Div 1 hockey is weird.  There's Big 10 hockey, but every other conference is hockey only.  UConn and Providence already both play in Hockey East with a bunch of other New England schools.  I think they're the only Big East schools that sponsor hockey.

and, D1 hockey is one of the few sports where a school does not need to be D1 in other sports to play at the D1 level. Union College, a D3 school in all other sports, became the smallest school to win a D1 national title in 2014.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Perhaps the first time the NCAA had a school begging them to find something, anything, and hit them with sanctions.

I think they should've pulled out the old chestnut that their logo empowers rape culture.  That should have worked.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »

Marquette somewhat does. They play acha d2 now.

feedback