Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154349 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »
Marquette somewhat does. They play acha d2 now.
If Marquette went varsity with Men’s and Women’s Hockey I think it would be a successful program in a short period of time.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »
If Marquette went varsity with Men’s and Women’s Hockey I think it would be a successful program in a short period of time.

I disagree.  There's very little high school hockey locally, so they'd have to draw recruits from a distance.  I just don't think there's an appetite for hockey in this area.  Plus, huge rosters means lots of scholarships.  Very unlikely we'll see Div. 1 hockey at MU.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
I think MU could sponsor hockey and be reasonably successful, but I agree it is unlikely to happen.

If it was going to happen, it probably would have happened instead of adding mens and womens LAX a few years back
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:20:37 PM by Coleman »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
Marquette somewhat does. They play acha d2 now.

Which isn’t a varsity sport.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
I disagree.  There's very little high school hockey locally, so they'd have to draw recruits from a distance.  I just don't think there's an appetite for hockey in this area.  Plus, huge rosters means lots of scholarships.  Very unlikely we'll see Div. 1 hockey at MU.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I once saw a map that showed WI as one of the biggest hockey states for juniors. Not saying it's MN or MI but that there's definitely a surprising base.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
College Hockey is done by recruiting from Junior ranks. There is an excess of D1 quality players for a limited group of D1 schools. most kids enter as 21 year old freshman from juniors .MU would be an attractive school compared to the other D1 programs.

Obviously a hockey program would need to be funded so not likely without a big donor to get it started.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
College Hockey is done by recruiting from Junior ranks. There is an excess of D1 quality players for a limited group of D1 schools. most kids enter as 21 year old freshman from juniors .MU would be an attractive school compared to the other D1 programs.

Obviously a hockey program would need to be funded so not likely without a big donor to get it started.

Would also need to fund a women’s program if some sort too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2019, 10:42:04 PM »
Would also need to fund a women’s program if some sort too.
Would have to be both for sure .
                       ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
If Marquette adds another sport it will be Men’s Volleyball and Women’s Golf for the scholarships.

Neither of which I think will happen anytime in the next decade.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »
Does the big east have any schools with varsity men's volleyball? 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
Does the big east have any schools with varsity men's volleyball?

Nah, they would likely join the MIVA with the likes of Loyola, Ohio St, and Lewis.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2019, 09:33:17 PM »
As much as I would love to see men's volleyball become a varsity sport at Marquette, I can't see it happening unless other big east schools did it too.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
I go to a few UW men’s hockey games. They’ve won multiple national championships, have multiple NHL draft picks (including the Rangers first round in 2018) and barely full half of their seats at the Kohl Center versus their biggest rival.

The only thing I could see appealing to hockey, is most of their games are Friday/ Saturday evenings, giving students something to do in the winter.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
I go to a few UW men’s hockey games. They’ve won multiple national championships, have multiple NHL draft picks (including the Rangers first round in 2018) and barely full half of their seats at the Kohl Center versus their biggest rival.

The only thing I could see appealing to hockey, is most of their games are Friday/ Saturday evenings, giving students something to do in the winter.
They used to regularly sell out Dane County Coliseum back in the day.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:57 AM »
The emergence of the men's basketball team, at the same time the hockey team has slid away from relevance, has really killed the casual fan's interest in Badger hockey.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
The emergence of the men's basketball team, at the same time the hockey team has slid away from relevance, has really killed the casual fan's interest in Badger hockey.
Here is a solid research report from last year that supports this notion. Winning always matters .

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/spectator-count-for-wisconsin-badgers-men-s-hockey-home-games/article_8196e185-74c5-58ed-bf83-7ac8a1c11a57.html
                       ---Al McGuire

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »
I'd love to see Marquette have a hockey team but it's pretty doubtful.  It's a big investment for a university that prides itself on prioritizing basketball.  Equipment, facilities, travel, sports medicine, etc.  And you'd need the women's side too.  Probably a better chance of baseball / softball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
I'd love to see Marquette have a hockey team but it's pretty doubtful.  It's a big investment for a university that prides itself on prioritizing basketball.  Equipment, facilities, travel, sports medicine, etc.  And you'd need the women's side too.  Probably a better chance of baseball / softball.

Could they get away with women's field hockey rather than ice hockey? Could be a heck of a lot cheaper than ice hockey
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
I just got an email notification from the XL Center notifying me of this.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
I just got an email notification from the XL Center notifying me of this.

Kind of funny in light of the fact that absent some agreement with the AAC (which I'm sure will come), they can't actually join the BigEast until the 2022 season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
Kind of funny in light of the fact that absent some agreement with the AAC (which I'm sure will come), they can't actually join the BigEast until the 2022 season.
True, but UConn is obviously trying to build a season ticket base while the iron is hot.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »
True, but UConn is obviously trying to build a season ticket base while the iron is hot.

Of course.  As they should.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
Could they get away with women's field hockey rather than ice hockey? Could be a heck of a lot cheaper than ice hockey

Women's field hockey typically rosters about 20 players, same as ice hockey.  But the field hockey scholarship limit is 12 while ice is 18.  So probably not.

But add field hockey and women's bowling (limit of 5), and maybe that's close enough?

That said, ice hockey is a massive investment, and it's unlikely that MU would ever consider potentially cannibalizing its only revenue positive sport to - in the best case scenario - break even on hockey.

Keep in mind that the primary reason MU added LAX a few years back was because of the Big East's sport sponsorship minimums.  Adding sports at a private, urban D-I with <25% enrollment of the land grants is a very tall order without significant (and ongoing) financial backing.  And Benny's already committed his dollars to the Thunderdome (which will not be ice-capable).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:04:00 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »
Women's field hockey typically rosters about 20 players, same as ice hockey.  But the field hockey scholarship limit is 12 while ice is 18.  So probably not.

But add field hockey and women's bowling (limit of 5), and maybe that's close enough?

That said, ice hockey is a massive investment, and it's unlikely that MU would ever consider potentially cannibalizing its only revenue positive sport to - in the best case scenario - break even on hockey.

Keep in mind that the primary reason MU added LAX a few years back was because of the Big East's sport sponsorship minimums.  Adding sports at a private, urban D-I with <25% enrollment of the land grants is a very tall order without significant (and ongoing) financial backing.  And Benny's already committed his dollars to the Thunderdome (which will not be ice-capable).

How many does golf have? Could do women's golf and women's field hockey. Then have Men's Ice hockey.

I know it won't happen either way. MU would be too scared of it cutting into the basketball fandom and yet they'd need butts in the seats at Hockey games to make it viable.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »

I'd stay away from baseball at the d1 level in Wisconsin

feedback