[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A macro view of P6 coaches  (Read 33265 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: A macro view of P6 coaches
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
Football Coach X ran a fake punt and it helped win a game! Why doesn't our coach ever run a fake punt? So what if he wins 75% of his games ... we need a fake punt!

So what's your point?? You don't like fake punts or what?? Good, no one says you have to MU 82!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »
So what's your point?? You don't like fake punts or what?? Good, no one says you have to MU 82!

The hidden-ball trick worked for Genius Manager X once in the last 30 years. Why doesn't my manager call for the hidden-ball trick?!?!?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
The hidden-ball trick worked for Genius Manager X once in the last 30 years. Why doesn't my manager call for the hidden-ball trick?!?!?

I'm not sure why he doesn't?? He should probably have it available to him as an option to use at some point though. It actually might work more than you realize. Pulled off something similar once in High School playing 1B..it was called our "99" play. Worked to perfection.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Do you really not know who Blueteaux is?  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
And the point, Iceman, is the argument you are trying to make is having the opposite effect you intend it to have. It is anti-persuasive to your point. It seems your only recourse is to yell about the things you don't see louder. That doesn't make your opinion look more valid, it only makes it look more biased and uninformed.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:32 AM »

Tell me about him...Is he a Coaching candidate at MU in the future?? What's his experience?? I'm intrigued.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
And the point, Iceman, is the argument you are trying to make is having the opposite effect you intend it to have. It is anti-persuasive to your point. It seems your only recourse is to yell about the things you don't see louder. That doesn't make your opinion look more valid, it only makes it look more biased and uninformed.

For one, I'm not sure why you think I am trying to persuade anyone?? That's what gets so lost in all of this. I don't care if people like him as the Coach or think he's doing a good job. They can, it's their opinion. I can not like him and think he's not the right guy for the MU job, and that should be okay too(but apparently for some reason it's not).

You can keep assaulting my basketball intelligence and saying I don't see things, if that's what makes you feel good about yourself..then you do you man! It's your opinion that I don't see those things. You're entitled to be completely uninformed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »

Watchin' Blueteaux orr da First Warrior is like shovin' a glass rod up yo johnson and hittin' it with a hammer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
Guru.....you made a false statement about adjustments as you have on other things...then you are called out on it....and here we are.

Have a wonderful Father’s Day
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
Guru.....you made a false statement about adjustments as you have on other things...then you are called out on it....and here we are.

Merry Xmas!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »

Again, I did NOT make a false statement about adjustments...you can keep saying that, but that doesn't make it true. Of course he makes adjustments in game, they are obvious. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and sometimes I wish he would have another bag of tricks to go to(that's what I said). I prefer to see things(sometimes) that maybe others don't. That shouldn't make me wrong, and it shouldn't make you wrong, right?? I like seeing my Coaches be able to reach down into their bag of tricks sometimes when the adjustments to the adjustments aren't working, and not just keep doing the same thing because you feel like you are out of things to try.

It's why i was finally glad the Packers moved on from McCarthy...he kept doing the same things OVER AND OVER AND Over again(with some minor adjustments) with the mentality "this is who we are". Well eventually, "this is who we are" with being too stubborn to get out of your comfort zone(and defenses have figured you out and you are out of minor adjustments to make), costs him his job.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
Okay, Iceman. If Wojo isn't making adjustments that are effective enough to win games, and if the talent level is disappointingly low, how were we ranked in the top-10? If it's not the coach and not the players, how did that happen? Is the rest of the country simply that inept? Were we just very lucky for 27 games?

Explain how that happens.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
Okay, Iceman. If Wojo isn't making adjustments that are effective enough to win games, and if the talent level is disappointingly low, how were we ranked in the top-10? If it's not the coach and not the players, how did that happen? Is the rest of the country simply that inept? Were we just very lucky for 27 games?

Explain how that happens.

Now this is a fair question...one I respect. I can tell you this, and I will answer the question this way...The talent and Coaching is/was good enough, to win games for a stretch. But it was NOT good enough to maintain that for the entire season and into the postseason. There's proof of that. Let's also keep in mind, if we are honest, there was an egregious missed 3 that was ruled a 2 against Louisville, that would/should have caused MU to lose that game. We aren't talking about a missed block/charge call or something like that that's open to judgment, that was blatant. We all know it.

We also know, that upon review, Sam did NOT get that shot off quite in time against Creighton, it was just too close to overturn. Take those two games and put them in the L column(where they really should have been), and they are never in the top 10, are they?? In fact, the whole complexity of the season is different, isn't it??

You asked me a fair question, so I will now ask you a fair question..obviously whether they should have been or not, the UL and Creighton games were wins, which then put them in a position to win an outright BE title. However, this same team and same Coach that were good enough to be in the top 10(which you are citing as a positive, and that's fair) during the year, absolutely gagged down the stretch, lost 6 of 7, needing 1 win with 4 to go(2 at home) to win an outright BE title, and couldn't get it done.

Then, they go into the tournament as a 5 seed and absolutely get blown out by a mid major in embarrassing fashion. So, I ask you...if the talent WAS good enough, and the Coaching WAS good enough to be in the top 10 during the year, why was that same talent and Coach NOT good enough to finish it off down the stretch?? What happened there??

There were several people at the end of the year after the loss to Murray State, that said the season was "smoke and mirrors" when they were in the top 10. With the evidence we have in front of us, is that an unfair characterization??

Do we really want a team/program that has enough talent/Coaching to win games for a stretch of the season, but NOT consistently good enough to "finish" it off when it matters the most??

Is it not hard to argue that better talent/Coaching never has the stretch at the end of the season?? Wouldn't better talent/Coaching "finished" the deal so to speak??

Can it be argued that the talent/Coaching is "good", but NOT good enough(which is what I have said) to be consistent enough and good enough, to not have the ending they had?? I think the proof is in the pudding.

Let's also keep in mind(by everyone's admission), last year was NOT a very strong year for the Big East, which also played a role in it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
Now this is a fair question...one I respect. I can tell you this, and I will answer the question this way...The talent and Coaching is/was good enough, to win games for a stretch. But it was NOT good enough to maintain that for the entire season and into the postseason. There's proof of that. Let's also keep in mind, if we are honest, there was an egregious missed 3 that was ruled a 2 against Louisville, that would/should have caused MU to lose that game. We aren't talking about a missed block/charge call or something like that that's open to judgment, that was blatant. We all know it.

We also know, that upon review, Sam did NOT get that shot off quite in time against Creighton, it was just too close to overturn. Take those two games and put them in the L column(where they really should have been), and they are never in the top 10, are they?? In fact, the whole complexity of the season is different, isn't it??

No and no. This is revisionist history. If that's the argument you're making, I'm going to void the losses to Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall, & Georgetown after Markus' injury.

You play the game that is. The missed three would've changed the entire complexion of the game. It would've changed how both teams played. Not valid.

Same for Sam's three. The evidence wasn't there to overturn it, thus it's a good shot.

And if you get those, I get the other 4 wins, Marquette wins an outright Big East title, 1-seed in the BET, & 3-seed in the NCAA tournament. It just doesn't work like that, so your argument is null and void.

You asked me a fair question, so I will now ask you a fair question..obviously whether they should have been or not, the UL and Creighton games were wins, which then put them in a position to win an outright BE title. However, this same team and same Coach that were good enough to be in the top 10(which you are citing as a positive, and that's fair) during the year, absolutely gagged down the stretch, lost 6 of 7, needing 1 win with 4 to go(2 at home) to win an outright BE title, and couldn't get it done.

Then, they go into the tournament as a 5 seed and absolutely get blown out by a mid major in embarrassing fashion. So, I ask you...if the talent WAS good enough, and the Coaching WAS good enough to be in the top 10 during the year, why was that same talent and Coach NOT good enough to finish it off down the stretch?? What happened there??

Markus got hurt. Wojo failed to adapt to that injury. It's a learning process. The former sucks, the latter should improve with time.

There were several people at the end of the year after the loss to Murray State, that said the season was "smoke and mirrors" when they were in the top 10. With the evidence we have in front of us, is that an unfair characterization??

Do we really want a team/program that has enough talent/Coaching to win games for a stretch of the season, but NOT consistently good enough to "finish" it off when it matters the most??

If Wojo sucks for that, Buzz sucks for 2009. K sucks for how Duke played without Zion (who cares about wins over bad Miami & Wake teams?).

Part of any season is the luck of injuries. How would 2003 have ended had Wade been injured late? 2012 without Crowder, 2013 without a fully healthy Blue?

Is it not hard to argue that better talent/Coaching never has the stretch at the end of the season?? Wouldn't better talent/Coaching "finished" the deal so to speak??

Crean didn't without Diener. Buzz didn't without James. Hell, Buzz must be a far worse coach than Wojo. Acker was a better backup than Chartouny and they still puked on their shoes in 2009.

Can it be argued that the talent/Coaching is "good", but NOT good enough(which is what I have said) to be consistent enough and good enough, to not have the ending they had?? I think the proof is in the pudding.

Let's also keep in mind(by everyone's admission), last year was NOT a very strong year for the Big East, which also played a role in it.

And we appropriately dominated the league until Howard got hurt. What would Michigan State have been with 50% Cassius Winston? Murray State with 50% Ja Morant? It's a missed opportunity, that's all. It happens to dozens of teams every year. That doesn't mean you pull a Vandy and fire your coach.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
No and no. This is revisionist history. If that's the argument you're making, I'm going to void the losses to Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall, & Georgetown after Markus' injury.

You play the game that is. The missed three would've changed the entire complexion of the game. It would've changed how both teams played. Not valid.

Same for Sam's three. The evidence wasn't there to overturn it, thus it's a good shot.

And if you get those, I get the other 4 wins, Marquette wins an outright Big East title, 1-seed in the BET, & 3-seed in the NCAA tournament. It just doesn't work like that, so your argument is null and void.

Markus got hurt. Wojo failed to adapt to that injury. It's a learning process. The former sucks, the latter should improve with time.

If Wojo sucks for that, Buzz sucks for 2009. K sucks for how Duke played without Zion (who cares about wins over bad Miami & Wake teams?).

Part of any season is the luck of injuries. How would 2003 have ended had Wade been injured late? 2012 without Crowder, 2013 without a fully healthy Blue?

Crean didn't without Diener. Buzz didn't without James. Hell, Buzz must be a far worse coach than Wojo. Acker was a better backup than Chartouny and they still puked on their shoes in 2009.

And we appropriately dominated the league until Howard got hurt. What would Michigan State have been with 50% Cassius Winston? Murray State with 50% Ja Morant? It's a missed opportunity, that's all. It happens to dozens of teams every year. That doesn't mean you pull a Vandy and fire your coach.

Blaming the late season collapse on Markus’ injury (an injury where he missed no time and still took as many shots as ever) is also revisionist history.  In the game immediately following his injury, at home against Creighton, Markus played 39 minutes, took 21 shots, and scored 33 points.  Against Georgetown in the last regular season game, he played 31 minutes, took 25 shots, and scored 28 points.  He scored 30 against STJ in the BET.  He scored 26 points on 27 shots against Murray State.  I mean, how injured was he?

His two truly bad games during that stretch were against Seton Hall, where he shot a combined 3-26.  Some of that may have been due to injury, but a bad game against the same team twice might also just mean they did a good job stopping him.

If Markus had gone down like senior year Dominic, I’d say injury is a valid excuse.  Here, I don’t think it holds water.  We got to 23-4 by beating a few good teams at home, winning a couple we probably shouldn’t have, and generally having everything fall our way.  But the conference was mediocre, the luck evened out, and the season ended how it ended.  It’s not how you start or where you were after 27 games, it’s how you finish.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
Superb response, brew.

When guru began with wins that could have been losses while not acknowledging losses that could have been wins, it made your job as a debater much easier!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »

So now we are playing the Markus was hurt card, huh?? Somehow, after I made my post, I said to myself "Brew is going to play the "Markus was hurt card" as his way of trying to defend the end of the season stretch...lo and behold...there it was.

To use your words..."you play the game as it was". Markus played every single one of those games down the stretch, right?? If Markus was 50%, or whatever it was...then, isn't it incumbent upon the Coach to make sure the game plan is ADJUSTED to factor that in?? Wouldn't a good Coach be able to scheme his way around that??

Or even if you say "he did the best he could", okay...then...if the team was talented enough, they should have been able to overcome a banged up Markus, right?? If the talent was good enough, maybe you don't have to play Markus so much when he is banged up because his replacement would be adequate enough to get you through. Either way..the injury wasn't the problem..The Coaching/talent wasn't good enough down the stretch to overcome it, IF it truly affected him that much. Cannot argue that, at all. You can try, but you will look foolish.

I like that you cite the Zion being out example...First of all, SURELY you realize he MISSED games, like didn't play at all. Markus played. BIG difference. 2nd of all, Zion being completely out didn't cause Duke to lose 6 of 7, did it?? Again, he was completely out, not just playing banged up.

Again, citing the examples of Buzz without James and Crean without Diener. You seem to think your clever trying to disguise and twist to fit your narrative. James was COMPLETELY out, as was Diener. Certainly, you see the difference there, right?? It's no different than your Zion example...but, you tried, I give you credit for that.

If Markus was so injured that it was affecting the team that badly...then HIS Coach shouldn't have played him, right?? EXCEPT..the talent that would have replaced him wasn't nearly good enough to have that option. No matter how you slice it, that is either A. Not good enough Coaching B. Not good enough talent. There is no other option. You want there to be, but there isn't. I know it kills you, it tears you up inside to admit it, because that makes me right on this particular point. Which I am, and that's okay to admit. You've been right on things before to, we all have been, and I admit that.

When you're tired of being taken behind the woodshed, let me know.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
Blaming the late season collapse on Markus’ injury (an injury where he missed no time and still took as many shots as ever) is also revisionist history.  In the game immediately following his injury, at home against Creighton, Markus played 39 minutes, took 21 shots, and scored 33 points.  Against Georgetown in the last regular season game, he played 31 minutes, took 25 shots, and scored 28 points.  He scored 30 against STJ in the BET.  He scored 26 points on 27 shots against Murray State.  I mean, how injured was he?

His two truly bad games during that stretch were against Seton Hall, where he shot a combined 3-26.  Some of that may have been due to injury, but a bad game against the same team twice might also just mean they did a good job stopping him.

If Markus had gone down like senior year Dominic, I’d say injury is a valid excuse.  Here, I don’t think it holds water.  We got to 23-4 by beating a few good teams at home, winning a couple we probably shouldn’t have, and generally having everything fall our way.  But the conference was mediocre, the luck evened out, and the season ended how it ended.  It’s not how you start or where you were after 27 games, it’s how you finish.

This thread can now be closed, or at least this argument can be. Well done Research! Brew isn't just staggering against the ropes, he got knocked out cold...not once(by me), but now twice(by you). 

After getting beaten and bloodied as badly as he just has by both of us...I would hope for his own good, he would "retire" from sparring. I like him, and would hate to see him suffer irreparable harm from the injuries and beatings we just inflicted.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
That's why I'm not making that argument. I'm not saying those losses don't count. They do. That's why the salient point was this:

Yes, we went out behind the woodshed, but I left you bloody and beaten. You tried to revise history. I called that BS. Your response was to focus on the BS, not the actual argument. Good god, man, you make this too easy.

Should Wojo have done better? Yes. Frankly, he should have sat Markus. But he's a young coach. He's learning. He's proven he can elevate a team. And he's earned the rope to continue showing he can improve and learn.

That's the point. That's why debating Louisville, at Creighton, at Villanova, Creighton, at Seton Hall, and at Georgetown as reverse results is a fool's errand. And both you & RR were all too happy to play that fool.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
That's why I'm not making that argument. I'm not saying those losses don't count. They do. That's why the salient point was this:

Yes, we went out behind the woodshed, but I left you bloody and beaten. You tried to revise history. I called that BS. Your response was to focus on the BS, not the actual argument. Good god, man, you make this too easy.

Should Wojo have done better? Yes. Frankly, he should have sat Markus. But he's a young coach. He's learning. He's proven he can elevate a team. And he's earned the rope to continue showing he can improve and learn.

That's the point. That's why debating Louisville, at Creighton, at Villanova, Creighton, at Seton Hall, and at Georgetown as reverse results is a fool's errand. And both you & RR were all too happy to play that fool.

Wrong again...But this is great Brew..You revised history trying to compare Markus's injury as the same as Zion's, Diener's and James's.

So you admit above Wojo's coaching wasn't good enough(he should have done better), and you also admit that the talent isn't good enough...which is EXACTLY what this whole discussion was about. Not during any of this PARTICULAR discussion did I say Wojo should be fired(although you seem to want to inject that into this particular discussion). I simply stated in a post or two earlier in this thread, that I have been disappointed in his recruiting this far, that it's been ok/good, but not good enough, and that I'm a little surprised by that because I really thought this was an area he would excel at(isn't that given Wojo credit for something)?

And i also stated that to this point, he hasn't shown enough in the way of in game adjustments(to me), that it gives me concern. Now, after debating this over several posts, you have admitted(though in a round about way), that Wojo's coaching/adjustments should/could be better, and you even gave a reason why(he should have benched Markus). All you did was drag this out unnecessarily when you just admitted what I had originally stated and what started THIS particular discussion to begin with. We came to the same conclusion.

Bottom line is, to this point, I(as well as others), have significant concerns about whether or not he's going to get it done. You(as well as others) think he can/will get it done. You're willing to wait it out...but my question is...how long?? It's been 5 years already, how much longer do you think he deserves?? What if he misses the tournament this year?? Would that be enough for you?? What if they just barely squeak in?? What's your tipping point, so to speak??

You have to be careful...I cited several examples in this thread about Coaches that have been given multiple plus years and all they have produced to this point is mediocrity(Brad Brownell comes right to mind). You can't just keep kicking the can down the road, right??

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »

Wojo has never done anything like that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
Markus got hurt.  Hausers torpedoed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »

I swear, what is it with people here trying to interpret things I say to mean what THEY want them to say(so they can come after me), as opposed to what they REALLY mean, when it SHOULD be obvious. You bolded the part "never" to try to make your point...Here was the statement(which I noticed you only conveniently clipped the art you wanted. Here is what I said...

Buzz...There are a couple of examples here...now I don't remember the specific game(s), he did this in, but they were struggling, and after a timeout, he came out in zone. They hadn't shown it all day..got them back in the game and they went on to win..brilliant! He also pulled out zones other times as well. Another was putting Jimmy Butler on Xavier's Tu Holloway in the NCAA tournament...ball game.

Which was then followed by this: Wojo has never done anything like that...he doesn't seem to have a "bag of tricks". I would have thought, after 5 years and learning from one of the greatest Coaches of all time, he would have some things in his back pocket that he could go to. A press, a trap, a zone...something...anything. And a couple of possessions here and there does NOT count as doing it or being creative.

It' seems pretty obvious to me(and it should to anyone) what the word NEVER in that paragraph was in reference to. Somehow though, people twisted that into saying I meant "make adjustments at all". As in NEVER makes any kind of adjustments when it was CLEARLY in reference to the type of adjustments I like/want to see(from time to time). Which is touched on in the above referenced paragraph about Buzz, and the previous one about Crean, and the one following the buzz paragraph in my original post about this.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »

I don't know how hurt or exhausted Markus was, but I do know that Wojo's solution (i.e., adjustment) resulted in M's already off the charts usage INCREASING in the final 7 games by more than 10%.

Look, I think Wojo made a lot of positive adjustments to help put us in the running for a magical season. He deserves credit. That said, he also gets credit for the collapse.