[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186559 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
I gave up alcohol for 18 years. Started to have beer again in 2011. At first, I couldn't handle anything even slightly hoppy. Drank lite beer or wheat beer. But gradually, I expanded my pallet (and my waistline), and now I enjoy a good IPA. Really like the hazies, but not only them. If one is super-hoppy it's still not for me, but I actually seek good IPAs now.

Hazies are where it's at.  Love me some f
Fire, Skulls & Money from TGB.  Best stuff is out in Vermont imo.  Foam, in Burlington is best of the best.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
I don't get the people that ga-ga over wine(this includes my father that will bore anyone to tears with his extensive wine knowledge)

People have their thing but I can barely tell the difference between a chiraz and a pinot griego. Seems like a lot of wasted time to me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
You can. They do not mean anything. There is no certificate for ESAs. What is needed to prove an ESA is a signed letter from a mental health professional. If anyone presents you with a certificate but not a letter you can tell them it don't mean sh*t. Also, if anyone tries to bring their ESA anywhere other than a plane (maybe train and bus too IDK) or into a property that they are actively renting/owning, you can tell them their dog isn't allowed.

Oh. I get that. But you're crazy if you think an airport employee or airline attendant, or heck even a store owner, is going to tell someone their certificate is fake or their animal is not allowed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
I don't get the people that ga-ga over wine(this includes my father that will bore anyone to tears with his extensive wine knowledge)

People have their thing but I can barely tell the difference between a chiraz and a pinot griego. Seems like a lot of wasted time to me.

I was the same way but then I started going to food pairing demonstrations and seeing and hearing what goes with what. Besides learning about the taste and composition, I really enjoy the science.

That said, give me a beer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
Oh. I get that. But you're crazy if you think an airport employee or airline attendant, or heck even a store owner, is going to tell someone their certificate is fake or their animal is not allowed.

Considering that about half time when we do fly with my wife's ESA the airport employees tell us that we can't bring the dog even though we have all the proper documentation I think you underestimate the power of the airport employees.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Yeah, I meant the liars. I had a coworker who made a vest for their little rat dog so it could go to restaurants with them. And let’s not forget the emotional support peacock.  I guess I should have claimed my cat as a ESA when I moved with him to avoid paying the fees, eh?  Instead, my emotional support on long flights is my iPad, Netflix and CBD/THC gummies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/united-refused-to-let-an-emotional-support-peacock-board-plane.html

Your friend is an idiot. ESAs aren't allowed in restaurants. We actually have a vest for my wife's ESA that we use when we travel on planes. We have it because people are less likely to try and come up and pet him. One time when we flew a kid came up and pulled our dog's tail and he yelped. The lady at ticketing heard him and told us that if he barked again we would be grounded.

And you can't "claim" your cat as an ESA. You need to be diagnosed by a mental health professional as having a mental disorder and by prescribed an ESA and have all the documentation to prove it. There's a lot of hoops you have to jump through in order to get your ESA approved to fly.
TAMU

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2019, 03:31:45 PM »
Your friend is an idiot. ESAs aren't allowed in restaurants. We actually have a vest for my wife's ESA that we use when we travel on planes. We have it because people are less likely to try and come up and pet him. One time when we flew a kid came up and pulled our dog's tail and he yelped. The lady at ticketing heard him and told us that if he barked again we would be grounded.

And you can't "claim" your cat as an ESA. You need to be diagnosed by a mental health professional as having a mental disorder and by prescribed an ESA and have all the documentation to prove it. There's a lot of hoops you have to jump through in order to get your ESA approved to fly.

Actually, in Wisconsin ESA's are allowed in restaurants.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wisconsin-laws-on-service-dogs-and-emotional-support-animals.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wisconsin-laws-on-service-dogs-and-emotional-support-animals.html

From the article you linked

Neither the ADA nor Wisconsin’s equal rights law, however, covers what some people call “emotional support animals”: animals whose presence provides a sense of safety, companionship, and comfort to those with psychiatric or emotional conditions. Although these animals often have therapeutic benefits, they are not individually trained to perform specific tasks for people with disabilities.

What Wisconsin law allows for is "Psychiatric Service Animals" which have to be trained to do a specific task that helps a person with a mental disability.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
I don't get the crazy around CBD. Never tried it but apparently it cures everything????
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2019, 06:58:05 PM »
I don't get the crazy around CBD. Never tried it but apparently it cures everything????

My local Family Video is selling it now.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2019, 06:58:49 PM »
Bob Dylan

He is best thought of as a poet who sings.  Not a great musician by any means.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
I was the same way but then I started going to food pairing demonstrations and seeing and hearing what goes with what. Besides learning about the taste and composition, I really enjoy the science.

I don’t get the love for any alcohol. I don’t mind having a couple of beers when out with friends or a glass or two of wine at a party, but I can take or leave it. Much rather have a Pepsi with a meal than alcohol.

Never buy it to drink at home - only use if for cooking.

Even when I was young and would go out and get hammered on weekends, I didn’t enjoy the taste of beer.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »

like pork n beans? biscuits n gravy? peanut butter n jelly,,,
don't...don't don't don't don't

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
Add me to the Dylan list.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:05:51 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Read again. Service animals are allowed in restaurants (and stores and hotels, etc.).  ESAs are not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:12:57 PM by StillAWarrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
Read again. Service animals are allowed in restaurants (and stores and hotels, etc.).  ESAs are not.

Fair enough, I submit.

I would like to put out an anecdotal story.  My wife, friend, and myself were in Montreal and went to a really nice Michelin star tasting menu restaurant.  We walked in only seconds after a US Vet, his wife, and his service dog were denied entry.  They were denied entry because of the dog.  The restaurant was nearly empty, and we were seated almost immediately.  After a few minutes, the Veteran and his family came back and read from his phone that Canada recognizes the same rules for service animals as the US for vets.  Even after reading him that, the matre'd still felt the need to go to every table and ask if it was okay for the dog to be with him.  Every single person said yes... around 15-20 of us.   The dog never moved, nor did he make a single sound for the three plus hours that we spent at that restaurant.  That was the best meal that I ever have eaten, but the experience put a sour taste in my mouth. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:27:34 PM by Hards_Alumni »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »
Fair enough, I submit.

I would like to put out an anecdotal story.  My wife, friend, and myself were in Montreal and went to a really nice Michelin star tasting menu restaurant.  We walked in only seconds after a US Vet, his wife, and his service dog were denied entry.  They were denied entry because of the dog.  The restaurant was nearly empty, and we were seated almost immediately.  After a few minutes, the Veteran and his family came back and read from his phone that Canada recognizes the same rules for service animals as the US for vets.  Even after reading him that, the matre'd still felt the need to go to every table and ask if it was okay for the dog to be with him.  Every single person said yes... around 15-20 of us.   The dog never moved, nor did he make a single sound for the three plus hours that we spent at that restaurant.  That was the best meal that I ever have eaten, but the experience put a sour taste in my mouth.

Understandable. And if it was a service dog, the restaurant was out of line.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 08, 2019, 11:00:40 PM »
Hazies are where it's at.  Love me some f
Fire, Skulls & Money from TGB.  Best stuff is out in Vermont imo.  Foam, in Burlington is best of the best.

Haven't tried that. Is it available all around the country, or only in Vt?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
Haven't tried that. Is it available all around the country, or only in Vt?

Fire, Skulls, Money is from Toppling Goliath.  Iowa.  Should be available... though it is a tad pricey.  If you happen to see King Sue by them... grab it as well.

Stuff from Foam is only available at their taphouse as far as I know.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2019, 11:35:33 PM »
Fire, Skulls, Money is from Toppling Goliath.  Iowa.  Should be available... though it is a tad pricey.  If you happen to see King Sue by them... grab it as well.

Toppling Goliath is a good but hype brewery. Their owner is a complete clown Azhat. I won't buy another beer from him because he treats his employees like sheet. His barrel aged beers are a hot mess that should be drain poured. Specially morning delight - gross. Plus, most of their beer is now made in JAX not IA. You should have heard what their brewing team had to say when that $--tstorm went down. That team hated that idea.

If you're in the Midwest get alarmist (best regular hazy ipa there is.. I'll fight you over that), eagle Park but they use a lot of lactose, Maplewood, old nation.. All way better than topling and you're not supporting a c.unt.

So things I don't get ...

All inclusive resorts
Religion
Suburbs
People who are scared of international travel
Straight edge
Comic book movies
College football
Pachuli
Vegetarians that aren't from s cultural perspective
Southwest Airlines

For those that hate / dont get bourbon - i feel for ya. You need to get yourself a good bourbon.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:58:48 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »
good bourbon saturday night
But I like to throw handfuls...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2019, 05:44:31 AM »
good bourbon saturday night

I have the same glass
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
I love all inclusives

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »

Thanks, Hards ... though Chili and you will have to duel at dawn, it appears.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson