[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 185988 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #250 on: June 10, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
So you don't want to borrow my dethatcher Amazon delivered yesterday?

Can I borrow it next spring?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
So you don't want to borrow my dethatcher Amazon delivered yesterday?

Even if I knew what it was, it would be highly unlikely I would be interested in such........pursuits
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
Anti-vaxxers.

All the information is readily available to them from reputable sources.  Yet they go to "Doctor" SoandSo's website that sells healing oils and spirit crystals (or books about how bad Vaccines are) that say the CDC is covering for big pharma and suddenly they see gospel. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
Anti-vaxxers.

All the information is readily available to them from reputable sources.  Yet they go to "Doctor" SoandSo's website that sells healing oils and spirit crystals (or books about how bad Vaccines are) that say the CDC is covering for big pharma and suddenly they see gospel.

Well, now we have to add flat-earthers to the list.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
I don't get people who are super into taking care of their lawns. I'm fine with mowing the lawn and all, but there are some people just really into taking care of the lawn/landscape and it just seems like a lot of work and annoying.

Thankfully, Mrs. 82 does all of our yardwork and landscaping. She likes it. Says it's relaxing and good exercise. She takes pride in how it looks.

But I'm with you, mu03, if it were up to me, we'd have the most boring yard ever. I'll mow the lawn if I have to, but that's it. We probably wouldn't even own a flower.

Ok, but all inclusive resorts... I can see why people don't get it if they haven't done them.  My wife was that way.  Then we went to one for a destination wedding of a friend.  Now we really enjoy going to them.  We still don't do them often, but every once in a while it's nice to have an absolutely stress-free trip in a beautiful destination where you don't have to worry about costs, trying to follow a schedule, etc.

Agreed. We thought we wouldn't like them, but we have liked the couple we've gone to very much. So nice to know your costs going in. Same with nice cruises. If you shop hard enough, you can get some good values.

Well, now we have to add flat-earthers to the list.

Except flat-earthers don't put other people's health in jeopardy by choosing to believe the earth is flat. Anti-vaxxers are a menace; if you have a religious or some other personal objection, cool, you just can't send your kids to school, daycare, etc. Why should you be allowed to poison somebody else?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
I don’t get the Muppets.  Are they for kids or adults?  Are they supposed to be funny?

The original Muppet Show was great.  It was a fun show that the whole family watched when I was a kid.  My recollection is that the local TV station had Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom beforehand, so that was an hours worth of TV that my parents undoubtedly treasured back in the day.

That reboot that ABC did a couple years ago was a f*cking travesty.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
Except flat-earthers don't put other people's health in jeopardy by choosing to believe the earth is flat. Anti-vaxxers are a menace; if you have a religious or some other personal objection, cool, you just can't send your kids to school, daycare, etc. Why should you be allowed to poison somebody else?

I wasn't aware that this was "things I don't 'get' that put other people's health in jeopardy."  I guess a bunch of us will need to go back and edit prior entries.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »

Um...... I’ve never heard a single flat earther tell us where the edge is at so we can avoid falling off.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
Vegas

Gotta agree. It is fun when it is for a work conference and I don't have to pay, but I'd never go there on my own dime.

• All American
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
WWE
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
I wasn't aware that this was "things I don't 'get' that put other people's health in jeopardy."  I guess a bunch of us will need to go back and edit prior entries.

Yeah ... sorry I got on my soapbox a little there. A zillion apologies. Sometimes I don't get myself.

Um...... I’ve never heard a single flat earther tell us where the edge is at so we can avoid falling off.

True, true.

WWE

Ditto.

When my father-in-law lived with us a couple years ago, he sat on the edge of the sofa mesmerized by the screaming, preening 'rasslers. My wife and I would be upstairs watching good TV and every time one of us went down to check on him, the actors would be screaming at each other. We saw precious little actual 'rasslin'.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
Flat Eathers confuse me so much. We have a friend who "saw a documentary" and believes just was flummoxed when I told her I've see the curve of the earth with my own eyes. She still believes though.

She also believes humans and dinosaurs lived around the same time.....sooooo yeah
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
Flat Eathers confuse me so much. We have a friend who "saw a documentary" and believes just was flummoxed when I told her I've see the curve of the earth with my own eyes. She still believes though.

She also believes humans and dinosaurs lived around the same time.....sooooo yeah

I have a former employee who is a "young earth creationist."  She was posting pictures with her kids at Ark Encounter over the weekend.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »

I have a former employee who is a "young earth creationist."  She was posting pictures with her kids at Ark Encounter over the weekend.

Oy

As someone who believes in God myself these people drive me nuts.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »

Did you not see the documentary?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »
WWE

So I've never sat and watched a moment of WWE on TV. However, a year or so ago, my wife won tickets off the radio to a semi-pro wrestling event that was happening in town (they didn't say what the prize was before she called in). Since we had free tickets, we went. I had a surprisingly good time. While it's painfully fake and overacted to an extreme, some of the feats they were able to accomplish were still impressive. They did a good job pumping up the crowd and they worked a good amount of comedy into the routine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2019, 12:38:11 PM »
Oy

As someone who believes in God myself these people drive me nuts.

As a nonbeliever, this stuff always cracks me up. But if I were a believer, as you say, it would be so frustrating to know that people who call themselves Christian think Jesus rode a dinosaur and that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

Things I definitely don't get!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
So I've never sat and watched a moment of WWE on TV. However, a year or so ago, my wife won tickets off the radio to a semi-pro wrestling event that was happening in town (they didn't say what the prize was before she called in). Since we had free tickets, we went. I had a surprisingly good time. While it's painfully fake and overacted to an extreme, some of the feats they were able to accomplish were still impressive. They did a good job pumping up the crowd and they worked a good amount of comedy into the routine.

Low level wrestling is the best. We went to a beer fest once where that was the entertainment. It was so anateurish, we could tell that the one guy was jumping to help the other guy flip him. Hilarious, especially when you are drunk on multiple shot-sized beer samples.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »

Hello...Flinstones, Land of the Lost.

How much more proof is needed.  She’s right
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »

Kinda funny that they sued for flood damages a couple weeks ago that their insurance didn’t cover because it was an “act of God”.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
Kinda funny that they sued for flood damages a couple weeks ago that their insurance didn’t cover because it was an “act of God”.

This is hilarious
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
I think the Ark museum suffering water damage cracked everyone up except the true believers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »

If adults want to believe in that stuff, fine, but I almost think it should be illegal for parents to teach it to their young children who don’t have a choice and don’t know any better.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »
If adults want to believe in that stuff, fine, but I almost think it should be illegal for parents to teach it to their young children who don’t have a choice and don’t know any better.

Eh, that's part of the luck of the draw.....if you get crappy parents that's apparently because, contrary to what Einstein said, God does play dice.

We really can't save people from themselves.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »
I get why you don't get this. Neverthless ...

If you're looking for an explanation, I have one word for you: Community.

Maybe not for all fans, but for many (including me), one big reason why I like being a fan is the "we're in this together" part of it.

I like going to Panthers games because I like being in the stands, cheering along with my fellow fans. I could see the game much better on TV at home, but I want to be part of the community.

When we don't go to games, Mrs. 82 and I often go to a local sports bar because we like being with like-minded people -- part of the community that's rooting on "our" Panthers.

BTW, my Panthers are gonna surprise a lot of people this year. If Cam stays healthy, we're going back to the Super Bowl!

As long as you aren't one of those fans who paint their faces and put on costumes it's all good. I have never gotten adults who do that for a professional game.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback