[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 54815 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
I'd bet the under on anything in the double digits in field goals made from outside of 10 feet from either Theo or Ed next season.

If you watch this video from Practice today and look at the other end of the court..Ed knocks in 3 straight 3's...

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1134261637450555392
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »
09 they played 3 NCAA 1 seeds and a 3 seed who won the BET. Maybe the toughest end of regular season ever.

+1 And all without our most important player. Chico will move goal posts and massage stats to get their proper "effect" but has no interest in the truth. Bottom line, Buzz was 8-5 in the tournament and made the second weekend 3x more often than any coach post Al. Looking tired and falling apart down the stretch were NOT trademarks of the Buzz era. Period.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
Chemistry matters Herman, but you know what else matters immensely?? Talent matters..Yes, the BE is going to be tougher, and that would have been fine if MU still had all their pieces, but they don't, so instead of a possible BE championship, we are probably looking at a 5th place finish at best?? I want to believe Jamal and Brendan improve enough to make a difference(and believe me I hope they do), but there is zero chance they can come close to replacing what Sam and Joey would have brought.

They may be able to compete well...but how many games will they win?? That's what ultimately matters.
We are going to be more like a Crean/Buzz style team this year. Tough and Athletic. Jamal and Brendan both have high ceilings and with more consistent minutes we will see great things from them. Also both of those guys are team oriented guys, not ball dependent and hustle.  Greg Elliott was an impact player as a freshman , in fact one of his best games was against Villanova and their great back court.  Elliott was also a team oriented player. We are going to see a lot of good ball movement and ultimately that is going to result in many more clean looks for Markus.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
We are going to be more like a Crean/Buzz style team this year. Tough and Athletic.

Not guaranteed, but wojo may have an "aha!" moment this year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2019, 08:45:07 PM »
Greg Elliott was an impact player as a freshman

no.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »
He exceeded expectations for a 3 star playing one handed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
Not guaranteed, but wojo may have an "aha!" moment this year.

Mae just bee gas pains, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »

Mae just bee gas pains, aina?

Mite bee bad philling

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
The team is going to be tremendous this coming season. The guys are going to work so much better together and  the team will be so much more athletic.   The Big East is going to be tougher this year and the line up we have will be able to compete very well. Team Chemistry matters.

9-9-9, it's nice to see you so excited about the team Wojo has put together and the coaching job you must be expecting him to do next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »
He exceeded expectations for a 3 star playing one handed.

Showed potential. Sometimes it's realized, sometimes not - lots of players fall into both categories. But a thousand miles from being an impact player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2019, 10:06:34 PM »
Showed potential. Sometimes it's realized, sometimes not - lots of players fall into both categories. But a thousand miles from being an impact player.

I'm with you, Lenny. I hope like heck that Greg turns out to be 50-75% as good as his biggest proponents expect him to be. If so, he'll be a decent rotation player. If he exceeds that, he'll be very valuable. I'm certainly rooting for it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2019, 10:23:21 PM »
I don't expect them to suddenly channel Novak or the Hausers.  A little Damon Key would be nice.  And I never discount the possibility of season to season improvement.
Well, if they both start consistently hit 15’ footers...that will be the equivalent of a Novak campaign!
I think the improvement this season will come in minimizing fouls.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
+1 And all without our most important player. Chico will move goal posts and massage stats to get their proper "effect" but has no interest in the truth. Bottom line, Buzz was 8-5 in the tournament and made the second weekend 3x more often than any coach post Al. Looking tired and falling apart down the stretch were NOT trademarks of the Buzz era. Period.

Youndon’t Have to agree, but I noticed you also didn’t comment about his last year....hmmm
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »
Funny to read guru incessantly talk about the Hausers lost offense yet not mention a peep about below average defense and the lack of transition offense with them out there. 
Hmmmmm
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:30 PM »
What in the world makes you believe that Theo AND Ed can hit 15’ jumpers with consistency? Neither one have ever done it in their careers and I don’t see that changing. But, I would certainly welcome the sharp shooting tandem to take this team to the next level.
Theo has struggled with 15 footers when unguarded and the clock stopped
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:21 PM »
We will be crazy athletic this year, gonna be fun to watch

Class71

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »
It appears from the above comments Wojo has benefited from loosing the Hausers as our bench more than fills their roles. Some might suggest UVA and MSU are each going to have an additional bench warmer named Hauser. I feel bad for UVA and MSU. What were Tony Bennett and Tom Izzo thinking? I can not wait for next season to see Wojo doing his magic and as our athletic team obliterates the competition. Must admit I did not see the logic at first but hey I am beginning to see how this all works out.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2019, 03:36:28 AM »
We will be crazy athletic this year, gonna be fun to watch

Yeah I just don’t see that. We will be more athletic no doubt, but no more that dozens of other teams.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »
Moral: Bring back Buzz?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »
Mite bee bad philling
Or sellabreytin unuthir kontrac axtenuation.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2019, 05:45:12 AM »
Funny to read guru incessantly talk about the Hausers lost offense yet not mention a peep about below average defense and the lack of transition offense with them out there. 
Hmmmmm

Well...I'm going to say this slowly so you understand..basketball is a very simple game...you determine a winner by who has the most points at the end of a game. So while yes, they should be better defensively and in transition, what YOU seem to fail to understand is they will NOT be as good offensively. So if they give up say as an example...68 points per game, but only score 66 points per game...68 is greater than 66, therefore, they lose those games Sand knit. Great to be better defensively, but if you can't score...what good is it?? You talk about their bad defense and slow feet, but NEVER mention how big of a gaping hole offensively they are leaving...Sam especially. That's 15PPG that left. How do you propose they replace that??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2019, 06:04:53 AM »
Koby averaged 15 as a sophomore.  Done.  Bailey was playing better than Joey over the last 10 games.

Losing the Hausers means Marquette is not a preseason top 10.  I am not saying it doesn't hurt.   But I choose to look for ways to make lemonade.  And 64 minutes walking out the door is viewed as an opportunity for others to step up.  It is the nature of the college game that players are replaced constantly.  We just had to replace Sam a year early.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:15 AM »
Well...I'm going to say this slowly so you understand..basketball is a very simple game...you determine a winner by who has the most points at the end of a game. So while yes, they should be better defensively and in transition, what YOU seem to fail to understand is they will NOT be as good offensively. So if they give up say as an example...68 points per game, but only score 66 points per game...68 is greater than 66, therefore, they lose those games Sand knit. Great to be better defensively, but if you can't score...what good is it?? You talk about their bad defense and slow feet, but NEVER mention how big of a gaping hole offensively they are leaving...Sam especially. That's 15PPG that left. How do you propose they replace that??

Offensive can be generated off better defense with transition opportunities that didn’t exist as often with the Hausers. 

Does it cover the half court execution that was there with the Hausers?  I’d say not fully but the offense can still be good if different. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2019, 06:27:17 AM »
Koby averaged 15 as a sophomore.  Done.  Bailey was playing better than Joey over the last 10 games.

Losing the Hausers means Marquette is not a preseason top 10.  I am not saying it doesn't hurt.   But I choose to look for ways to make lemonade.  And 64 minutes walking out the door is viewed as an opportunity for others to step up.  It is the nature of the college game that players are replaced constantly.  We just had to replace Sam a year early.

If Koby can pick up most of the offensive slack of Sam Hauser we will be alright offensively.  Defensively we will fine on-ball and help defense.  My biggest concern next year will be defensive rebounding.  Ed will need to play a ton of minutes as he is the only one I trust on the defensive end to rebound.

Yes Johnson and John will provide some rebounding too but the center position in Wojo's defense seems to be highly counted on to shore up perimeter defense issues and thus is rarely in position to rebound well.  That means Ed will need to play the '4' position.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »

This is all well and good, but what I think so many fail to understand is that whatever Koby and whoever else brought this year was going to be in ADDITION to the 15PPG Sam brought. So let's say Koby averaged 12PPG and Sam was still there, those were "bonus" points. Now they are a necessity. So if Koby(hypothetically) was going to score those 12PPG WITH Sam, Ok that replaces Sam's production(essentially), but then who replaces Koby's production?? Bailey?? Okay, then who replaces what Bailey would have given you etc etc. It has an effect on the entire roster. Guys that may not be capable, have to step up, where as before, they could have been role players in situations that they were probably best suited for.

feedback