'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic  (Read 26753 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
Todd Mayo...Jae Crowder

I get a kick out of how it’s ok to admit a  C+ student like Chris Crawford, but it’s “terrible” to admit a D+ student.  What’s the difference?  Both are well below the average MU student. 

Terrible. Lol.

Most unqualified guy admitted to MU in the last 20 years? D Wade

#2? Jae Crowder.

Best 2 things (IMHO) to happen to MU hoops in the last 20 years? D Wade and Jae Crowder.

Guys like that will never get in going forward, though, and for some that's a cause for celebration. Their precious degrees (never elite in the first place) won't be diminished by such riffraff. Sigh.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Lenny,

I agree that is a shame.  Those players bring value to a university.   If they are good people and earnest about getting their education started they are as valuable or more valuable to the University than a straight A student.  Good people should be given a chance.  An MU degree is valuable and can elevate young men and women to be better people and more productive citizens. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
Most unqualified guy admitted to MU in the last 20 years? D Wade

#2? Jae Crowder.

Best 2 things (IMHO) to happen to MU hoops in the last 20 years? D Wade and Jae Crowder.

Guys like that will never get in going forward, though, and for some that's a cause for celebration. Their precious degrees (never elite in the first place) won't be diminished by such riffraff. Sigh.
Love Crowder but the difference is that coaching staff didn't completely disclosed that Crowder basically had no chance to graduate. Wade's case was different, administration knew that he would not qualify and basically had to become academically eligible by his own effort. Different situations / conditions.
Goal is National Championship

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
Love Crowder but the difference is that coaching staff didn't completely disclosed that Crowder basically had no chance to graduate. Wade's case was different, administration knew that he would not qualify and basically had to become academically eligible by his own effort. Different situations / conditions.

This is why we feel so much better about Henry Ellenson—had a chance to graduate right?

Also do we ensure all our grad transfers graduate on-time?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:53:46 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
This is why we feel so much better about Henry Ellenson—had a chance to graduate right?

Also do we ensure all our grad transfers graduate on-time?

Exactly, Frenns. One can make the argument that Crowder had no business being at Marquette - or an even stronger one that D Wade didn't. Those people would be douches, though.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:09 PM »
Again different circumstances no information withheld, no APR hit. Maybe smoke & mirrors.....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
Again different circumstances no information withheld, no APR hit. Maybe smoke & mirrors.....

We can walk and chew gum without dealing with absolutes.  I’m pretty confident that we can take a Jae Crowder without blowing APR if managed appropriately.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »

Love ya Newsie.  But, during Crean, athletics admissions was switched out of AD. Both MU and the NCAA Clearinghouse passed Jae and his deficiencies were well known and public.  The same group passed the same protocols on ND Prep (specialized in LD) players including Beasley, Paul Harris, Lazar and Todd. When Cassell's kid came up from ND Prep, the shyt hit the fan with the new regime.

Lazar, Jae and Todd still haven't graduated.  Junior did. Junior is the least wealthy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
Most unqualified guy admitted to MU in the last 20 years? Dwade.

False statement on every level

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »

Not by ACT score

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
Not by ACT score

He said categorically the most unqualified person admitted to MU in the last 20 years.  That is a false statement.  I can tell you if one person admitted because of a favor of a Sr VP of the university that wasn’t close.  The person didn’t last three weeks.  Functionally illiterate.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Love ya Newsie.  But, during Crean, athletics admissions was switched out of AD. Both MU and the NCAA Clearinghouse passed Jae and his deficiencies were well known and public.  The same group passed the same protocols on ND Prep (specialized in LD) players including Beasley, Paul Harris, Lazar and Todd. When Cassell's kid came up from ND Prep, the shyt hit the fan with the new regime.

Lazar, Jae and Todd still haven't graduated.  Junior did. Junior is the least wealthy.
So the information that he was never going to graduate was not fully disclosed is incorrect? Thought that was one of the main issues why Jucos became a problem with Buzz.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
Not by ACT score

Right. Least qualified freshman admitted to MU per ACT score in at least the last 20 years.

Not counting the one guy Cheeks made up who evidently doesn't have a name, date or ACT score attached to him.

And of course I'm not "backtracking". I was basing my statement on his ACT score all along - which of course Chico knew.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:42:20 PM by Lennys Tap »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »
Right. Least qualified freshman admitted to MU per ACT score in at least the last 20 years.

Also a statement you don’t know to be true, but throw it out there anyway....hmmm you accuse others of that....remember....but nice to see you backtracking. 

Yes, some kids perform poorly on standardized tests and this has been known for the last 40 years.

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/168533026.html

One of the reasons the College Board made the SAT change announcement last week. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
So Cheeks, who was more qualified Lazar or Todd?  Be careful on your answer.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
Most unqualified guy admitted to MU in the last 20 years? D Wade.
This video reminds me of Chicos Bail Bonds and Lennys Tap debating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZdKCFFR3I
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »
“Meanwhile, Id’ll cheer hard for MH as a young man that seemingly we can be proud of.”

I’ll cheer for Markus as well.  Now whether or not I do it as amorously as you ....I don’t see how that’s anyone’s damn business.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:31:39 PM by Osiris »
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
This video reminds me of Chicos Bail Bonds and Lennys Tap debating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZdKCFFR3I

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »
Back to the Athletic article...

Some on here have questioned what type of message MU wants to send to their fans about the type of program they aspire to be.  Do they want to compete with the big boys, or do they want to have a passable team that makes the NCAA Tournament some of the time and wins a game or two there on occasion, with an emphasis on “low risk” players who represent the university well?

If you read between the lines of this article, I think you’ll notice that there’s a gradual sea change going on.  Wojo and the Athletic Department *are* now touting what great human beings their players are and how successful they’ve been in the community and classroom, and they’re saying things like, “We believe the winning will come, even though it hasn’t happened yet.”  Wojo even said something to the effect of, “I was hired to run a program that represents the university well.”  Hell, the last paragraph pretty much states that if you don’t like the direction of the program, then too bad, because that’s the way things are going to be.

My main takeaway from this article is that Wojo’s seat isn’t remotely hot.  And if it gets hot, he’ll be replaced with another guy who will achieve slightly-better-than-Deane results.  That’s what we’ve gotten and that’s what we’ll continue to get with the current administration.  They’ve just been slow to let us know about it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »

Some on here have questioned what type of message MU wants to send to their fans about the type of program they aspire to be.  Do they want to compete with the big boys, or do they want to have a passable team that makes the NCAA Tournament some of the time and wins a game or two there on occasion, with an emphasis on “low risk” players who represent the university well?

Why do you act like these are mutually exclusive options?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »

Why do you act like these are mutually exclusive options?

They’re not, but let’s be honest:  Only a select few extremely talented coaches are able to walk that tight rope.  I don’t think we have one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
They’re not, but let’s be honest:  Only a select few extremely talented coaches are able to walk that tight rope.  I don’t think we have one.

Who are these select few?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »

I really don't think that's the case at all.  I think there are plenty of coaches who win with players who are both good at basketball and represent their university well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
The irony....your boy ruined it.  His staff couldn't tell the truth, some of his players couldn't follow the rules and way beyond, and some of the guys he "recruited" ......well let's just say your guy ruined it. If the university over rotated, it is because of what went down when he was the CEO of the program.  The irony.....but of course you and others blame the school, not the actual fools that committed the various acts that led to clamp down.  Amazing.

Can you finally just tell us all the stories - and you don't have to name specific names, I'd just like to know actions - that aren't already public knowledge?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2019, 03:36:51 PM »

If you read between the lines of this article, I think you’ll notice that there’s a gradual sea change going on.  Wojo and the Athletic Department *are* now touting what great human beings their players are and how successful they’ve been in the community and classroom, and they’re saying things like, “We believe the winning will come, even though it hasn’t happened yet.”  Wojo even said something to the effect of, “I was hired to run a program that represents the university well.”  Hell, the last paragraph pretty much states that if you don’t like the direction of the program, then too bad, because that’s the way things are going to be.

My main takeaway from this article is that Wojo’s seat isn’t remotely hot.  And if it gets hot, he’ll be replaced with another guy who will achieve slightly-better-than-Deane results.  That’s what we’ve gotten and that’s what we’ll continue to get with the current administration.  They’ve just been slow to let us know about it.

Or, you could actually just read the lines of this article and understand that they want to win at the highest level while maintaining the culture of Marquette.

feedback