[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic  (Read 27177 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Wojo/MU story in The Athletic
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
Really good story, woth signing up for a free trial, at least. I won't cut and paste it since it's behind a paywall, but some of the highlights:

- "Obviously the thing that most people care about is the things that we’ve done on the court, and we’ve done a lot of really good things,” Wojciechowski says. “Does that mean we’re satisfied with where we’re at now? Of course not, and we’re always striving to be better, and this upcoming season is no different. But when I was hired here, I was hired here to build a program that reflects the values of Marquette University, and in that respect, I think we’ve done a good job. Is that saying we’re exactly where we want to be? No. We want to win and we would have loved to finish the season stronger. Do we recognize we have to win games in the NCAA Tournament? Absolutely. I think all those things are on the horizon for this program, even though they haven’t happened yet.”

- Wojo advised Markus to get evaluated by the NBA; he chose not to

- Didn't say anything new about the Hauser situation, though author Brian Hamilton wrote: "That was a Friday, when a high-scoring, high-usage star told the world he wasn’t going anywhere. On Monday, Sam and Joey Hauser, the team’s second- and third-leading scorers, announced their plans to transfer. Suffice it to say the most straightforward read of that dynamic is more or less the correct one."

- Staff was counting on Chartouny to allow Markus to play of the ball more, which obviously didn't happen.

- "“The things we’ve talked to him about, is continuing to improve his decision-making,” Wojciechowski says of Howard. “You always want him to follow his instincts to score, but when the defense is fully committed to taking those instincts away, then you have to make the right play. That’s something that he knows, that he wants to get better at."

- Markus is good with accepting criticism, which Wojo says is not the case for a lot of the all-Americans he's coached.

-  “I think there’s a segment of people that take him for granted, and that’s not right in my eyes,” Wojciechowski says. “People can disagree with me. That’s fine. But that’s the way it is, and it’s not me being defensive. It’s me expressing my feelings. Because I think the story has gotten lost and I don’t think it’s right that it’s gotten lost. I don’t think in other programs it would have gotten lost. This was not about me publicly having Marcus’ back. Marcus knows I have his back. We know there’s a special young man in our program that made a hell of a decision, and he deserves to be appreciated as such. Marcus knows there’s things he can do to get better. It’s one of the reasons he’s coming back.”

- Greg and Koby will allow MU to attack the paint more

- Wojo thinks we could see a "huge jump" from Bailey

- Sacar might benefit most from the Hausers' transfer in terms of additional shot opportunities

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:09:51 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
Re: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
Thanks a lot for that, Pakuni. Great stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
Thanks a lot for that, Pakuni. Great stuff.

Seconded.  Great.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »
Beat me to it, great read of the full article...which I also won’t copy and paste here.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
Well worth the $4.99/month price.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
Well worth the $4.99/month price.

Sometimes.  I canceled last week but doesn’t run out until end of month.  For some cities the coverage is good.  Then there is Seth Davis....ugh
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
I like what I read.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
Paid journalism is going to be a tough sell when a good chunk of the piece is about "Marcus" Howard...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
Paid journalism is going to be a tough sell when a good chunk of the piece is about "Marcus" Howard...

While annoying and a failure on the copy edittors part, it's on you if you are letting that get in the way of the intrinsic value of the piece both as an eye to Wojo's mindset as well as a conversation starter from a non-biased source about what next year can/should look like. I thought the comparison to Carson Edwards and Purdue was especially insightful
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »
I say Go suck Andy North’s kielbasa!!

Happy hour started early I see.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:30:41 PM by mu_hilltopper »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
Happy hour started early I see.

He needs help, and probably with more than alcoholism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »
I cannot even begin to imagine how someone could decide to post something like that. There is no point in time while typing when you think "well, maybe I shouldn't say this in a public forum". Sheesh.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
I thought that I'd suddenly been transported to a Badger Board.  THAT'S how bad it was.

For those of you wondering what my and the previous posts are about, well ...you missed a doozy from Mr. Sand-Knit expressing dissatisfaction with the entire Hauser family and unsourced allegations regarding Andy North's Kielbasa which the moderators have prudently removed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:39:04 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
I like what I read.

Clearly you are a Wojo apologist and slurper, so of course you liked it.

🤫

fjm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
Really seems like some good info. And before this thread turns into what I expect it does, I would say I agree. Wojo has built a real good culture. We just need to fix the no winning in March thing.
And I also agree we take Markus for granted.

And lastly the “straightforward” thinking hauser thing doesn’t surprise me. But glad it’s been said.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
Really seems like some good info. And before this thread turns into what I expect it does, I would say I agree. Wojo has built a real good culture. We just need to fix the no winning in March thing.

And lastly the “straightforward” thinking hauser thing doesn’t surprise me. But glad it’s been said.

+1

Kielbasa is delicious

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to the meat summit's opinions on this article

*ducks*

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
The Hauser story is straight forward.   They were willing to stay if Markus left.  He came back, they went school shopping. 

The only twist is them being brothers.  Didn't the Morris brothers have issues in their youth?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
The Hauser story is straight forward.   They were willing to stay if Markus left.  He came back, they went school shopping. 

The only twist is them being brothers.  Didn't the Morris brothers have issues in their youth?

Which disproves the whole Wojo is the ultimate problem if they were willing to play for him if only someone left. I know that doesn't sync up with some opinions here, but hard not to see it any other way.  Thing is, someone was going to leave and this idea that Wojo could simply make people like each other or all play nice nice is highly unlikely in today's day and age.  It's also why I LOVE that players have to sit out a year to transfer.  The amount of this crap that would be going on if they didn't have to, my God the first time a player went into a pouting spree they would be gone. 

From what I have heard from my Milwaukee peeps / university officials is someone was going no matter. What.  If MH left and Hausers stayed, then others were going.  If MH stayed, Hausers gone but others now stay.  Point of all this, we weren't getting out of this with everyone together and people have got to understand that.  Plenty of blame if people wish to assign it, but staff, department, have moved on.  Going with the folks that are here and excited about it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
Which disproves the whole Wojo is the ultimate problem if they were willing to play for him if only someone left. I know that doesn't sync up with some opinions here, but hard not to see it any other way.  Thing is, someone was going to leave and this idea that Wojo could simply make people like each other or all play nice nice is highly unlikely in today's day and age.  It's also why I LOVE that players have to sit out a year to transfer.  The amount of this crap that would be going on if they didn't have to, my God the first time a player went into a pouting spree they would be gone. 

From what I have heard from my Milwaukee peeps / university officials is someone was going no matter. What.  If MH left and Hausers stayed, then others were going.  If MH stayed, Hausers gone but others now stay.  Point of all this, we weren't getting out of this with everyone together and people have got to understand that.  Plenty of blame if people wish to assign it, but staff, department, have moved on.  Going with the folks that are here and excited about it.

Going with the folks that are here and excited about it

Damn right
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »

If wojo has built a "really good culture" as you claim, how do you explain that culture that caused  Hausers to leave?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 07:47:00 PM »
They were perfectly willing to stay if Markus left.   Culture couldn't have been too bad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »
Da strength of hour teem is hour teem, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
If wojo has built a "really good culture" as you claim, how do you explain that culture that caused  Hausers to leave?

If you think writing a disgruntled missive challenging the authority of the head coach (where you also enlist/recruit teammates to choose sides) followed by essentially making a demand for a larger share of the spotlight....if you think that’s what winning culture is....I pity your employees and/or your employer.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...