[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic  (Read 27135 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:04 PM »
I am outraged that you said this.

I'm outraged at the outrage

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
I wonder why The Athletic suddenly decided to do a fluff piece on Wojo?

This board has never been dumber.

Because a coach getting a new contract is a good time to reevaluate the state of the program? Or, the even more likely reason of attracting clicks & driving traffic to their website? 😱
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »

They also had a Wojo story at the beginning of last season.  What is your theory behind that one?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »
They also had a Wojo story at the beginning of last season.  What is your theory behind that one?

Same as the Hauser's Story, People see. hear what they want to see, hear and put it in the oven and it comes out Fine.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
Made up BS. More shoes that will never drop. Fake News.

Not made up per those people, but that's fine.

Plenty of shoes dropped and a few things that were terrible that never did.  Oh well.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »

Simple.  Media Relations team doing their job, which is what they are supposed to do.  Good article about our coach and program.  You can be cynical all you want, that is your right.  For the average fan that doesn't dig too deep into this stuff, it will play well. In the MU community, the anti-Wojo folks will find a way to of course continue to blame him 99% to 100%, and others less so.  That won't change at all. 

Now, the more interesting questions are the various articles on Wojo throughout the year, before anyone transferred......not local articles, but outside Milwaukee....those were also done for some reason....likely to promote Marquette basketball and media relations team, again, doing their job.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »

Which was just as puffy.  I remember being mad that they didn't address any defensive problems, just focused on Fiserv.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »

The Athletic has covered MU quite a bit over the past year, one of the reasons I subscribed. This is nothing new.

And is you'd read the story, you'd know it wasn't a fluff piece.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Same as the Hauser's Story, People see. hear what they want to see, hear and put it in the oven and it comes out Fine.

Wut.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »

And is you'd read the story, you'd know it wasn't a fluff piece.
I did read it. Glad to see he’s almost done watching all our games from last year. If he’s not careful he’s gonna work himself to death.

Thank God for hot yoga.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
Plenty of shoes dropped and a few things that were terrible that never did.  Oh well.

I mean, seriously, you wonder why you continue to get crap about this. 6ish years past and we still haven't heard about these "terrible" things.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2019, 12:08:56 AM »
When do the Barca games begin?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
Good stuff...

To me, like I told you all and mentioned one or two times before and it is something that I missed too, at first.

It was not Marcus' ball hogging and his bad shot selection and hero ball that was the problem, even though in some games and to many people even in this forum it may have seemed that way. . .

It was the play of the Chartouny kid.

Had he played better or worth why they got him....then everything and everyone else would have fit in place.

It came down to Greg's injury, and his lackluster play at PG, and the fact that McEwen was a red-shirt and Markus to having to play with the ball and it forced him to handle the ball too much, and made him to be the decision maker instead of just an elite and pure ball distributor, when in his eyes his decision and best option when they needed a bucket was . . . HIMSELF....

And with good reason. He is a fantastic scorer. That is not Wojo's fault. Or Markus's per se. That is how it played out on the court and what his stage of development and or limitations of others got them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:35:32 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2019, 12:37:41 AM »
I mean, seriously, you wonder why you continue to get crap about this. 6ish years past and we still haven't heard about these "terrible" things.

I give not one shat.  There are plenty that know what I speak of.  Thank God he is gone.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »

Thirty some years ago Geraldo Rivera hosted a 2 hour special on network television in which the secrets in Al Capone's vault were to be revealed. Geraldo interviewed all sorts of "experts" who offered opinions and speculations as to what the vault contained. Millions in cash, dead bodies, etc., - Geraldo and his insiders made wild predictions. After two hours of hype and bogus promises the vault was opened and (drum roll) they found a few empty bottles. Buzz's "Vault of Other Shoes" has proven to be just as empty. Only difference is after 5 years of lies and broken promises our very own Geraldo still insists he's got the goods. Funny stuff.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
I give not one shat.  There are plenty that know what I speak of.  Thank God he is gone.

I have some insight on Bert's tenure and the real issue wasn't the Stapleton event. It was the pernicious lowering of admission standards.

Let's face it: Jae Crowder had no business getting in the door. But if we are honest about it I will admit to being damn glad Crowder laced 'em up for Marquette.

Bert wasn't here to recruit future Nobel laureates. His job was to field the most competitive, well-prepared basketball team he could. Several of his recruits were unqualified academically. And Williams kept lowering the bar.

But Crowder flourished at Marquette. He went to class, he followed the rules and today he makes us proud to bear the title Marquette alum, both on and off the court.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
I have some insight on Bert's tenure and the real issue wasn't the Stapleton event. It was the pernicious lowering of admission standards.

Let's face it: Jae Crowder had no business getting in the door. But if we are honest about it I will admit to being damn glad Crowder laced 'em up for Marquette.

Bert wasn't here to recruit future Nobel laureates. His job was to field the most competitive, well-prepared basketball team he could. Several of his recruits were unqualified academically. And Williams kept lowering the bar.

But Crowder flourished at Marquette. He went to class, he followed the rules and today he makes us proud to bear the title Marquette alum, both on and off the court.

What an novel concept!!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »

No idea if they are true or not but I too have heard things which I assume is what Chicos is referencing.

I’ll take Wojo any day.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
What an novel concept!!

It wasn’t a novel concept at Marquette, except Bazz ruined it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2019, 01:36:05 PM »
Thirty some years ago Geraldo Rivera hosted a 2 hour special on network television in which the secrets in Al Capone's vault were to be revealed. Geraldo interviewed all sorts of "experts" who offered opinions and speculations as to what the vault contained. Millions in cash, dead bodies, etc., - Geraldo and his insiders made wild predictions. After two hours of hype and bogus promises the vault was opened and (drum roll) they found a few empty bottles. Buzz's "Vault of Other Shoes" has proven to be just as empty. Only difference is after 5 years of lies and broken promises our very own Geraldo still insists he's got the goods. Funny stuff.

LOL.  Many of the shoes dropped, he gone.  Geraldo struck out completely, exactly like you did with your preposterous claim that Georgetown pressured Sam Hauser in that game....literally DID NOT HAPPEN.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »

What I am referencing has nothing to do with Jae, but other players that don't make us proud one bit, or the actions it took to get them to MU in the first place as well as their behavior at school and out of school.  Some of which have never come to light.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
What an novel concept!!

The irony....your boy ruined it.  His staff couldn't tell the truth, some of his players couldn't follow the rules and way beyond, and some of the guys he "recruited" ......well let's just say your guy ruined it. If the university over rotated, it is because of what went down when he was the CEO of the program.  The irony.....but of course you and others blame the school, not the actual fools that committed the various acts that led to clamp down.  Amazing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »
LOL.  Many of the shoes dropped, he gone.  Geraldo struck out completely, exactly like you did with your preposterous claim that Georgetown pressured Sam Hauser in that game....literally DID NOT HAPPEN.

1. LOL. He was already gone when you lied about other shoes that would drop that haven't .

2. Sam Hauser played the point against Georgetown's man to man defense. Every point that plays against a man to man is by definition "pressured". Not pressed, not doubled, but pressured.

3.You have harped (wrongly) on this minuscule point in post after post. Weird. How does it feel to have me living inside your brain? Where's Fluffy?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
1. LOL. He was already gone when you lied about other shoes that would drop that haven't .

2. Sam Hauser played the point against Georgetown's man to man defense. Every point that plays against a man to man is by definition "pressured". Not pressed, not doubled, but pressured.

3.You have harped (wrongly) on this minuscule point in post after post. Weird. How does it feel to have me living inside your brain? Where's Fluffy?

Press is short for pressured.  So, there's that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
Press is short for pressured.  So, there's that.

Yeah. Otherwise we’d be saying “Theo (or Ed, or any post player) really handled that press well!” any time they dribble the ball and don’t turn it over. I mean, it’s not like defenders in the post just loosen up their defense and give them a bunch of space...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter