[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The other 36 minutes  (Read 7244 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: The other 36 minutes
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
Not in the NCAA tournament. They could not get out to cover the open three point shooters. The Big East was pretty weak this year, which helps to skew the defensive statistics.

Define 'pretty weak'?

The Big East had a scoring efficiency of 1.059 ppp. That was higher than, for example, the SEC... the ACC...... the Big Ten... and the Big 12.

But, OK.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
Murray vs MU: Morant with 16 of the 23 assists, MS wins by 19 w/MS 9-18 3point shooting.
Murray vs. FSU: Morant with 4 of 7 assists, FSU wins by 28 w/MS 7-18 3 point shooting.

A whopping 47 point turn around! Pretty sure Coach Leonard "Carrot" Hamilton had the more sound defensive game plan of MS's 2 opponents. .

I believe the announcers in Connecticut were the same in both games. The woman announcer made an interesting observation on the defensive game plan. I do not recall her exact words but this was pretty close: " Notice how FSU doesn't overcommit on defense." And then the zinger: You DON"T see 5 guys collapsing on Morant!"

FSU had different personnel. 

You seem to be quite familiar with beer league softball; unfortunately, in the NCAA tournament, you’re not allowed to take guys from the other game and use them on yours. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »

You seem to be quite familiar with beer league softball; unfortunately, in the NCAA tournament, you’re not allowed to take guys from the other game and use them on yours.

Different personnel, sure. That's part of it.

But when you set up defense to stop a superstar, if you're smart (FSU was, we weren't) the goal is to take away what he does best. Ja Morant is a very good scorer and an elite, out of this world passer. Florida St. made him a scorer and took away his less talented teammates with honest, in your face defense. He had 28 points, but took 21 shots and had only 4 assists. We doubled (or tripled) him everywhere, held him to 9 shots and 17 points and challenged him to locate wide open teammates. 16 assists later we were toast.

Bottom line, Murray St was a much better team when Morant was a pass first player. The defense we chose allowed him (forced him) to be just that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
Man this Cheeks guy really resides inside your brain.

Yup, for many years and he isn’t alone with the quarters of have taken with some of these guys. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 10:02:30 PM »
What month did we beat Louisville, Kansas St, Buffalo and Wisconsin?

What month were we destroyed by Murray St?

When did we beat Georgetown on the road without our 2nd team All American Big East POY? When did we lose to them on our home court at full strength?

This really isn't all that complicated.

Interesting...so Virginia winning the ACC tournament and a few days later losing to a 16 seed would explain what....using your logic?

The game we won at Georgetown....was that the mythological game in which you claimed the Hoyas pressured Sam...that one?

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
Different personnel, sure. That's part of it.

But when you set up defense to stop a superstar, if you're smart (FSU was, we weren't) the goal is to take away what he does best. Ja Morant is a very good scorer and an elite, out of this world passer. Florida St. made him a scorer and took away his less talented teammates with honest, in your face defense.

Part of it....yeah....the biggest part of it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
Are you saying...Hilltoppers is Chico’s?

Damn....years of hard work finally uncovered

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 11:21:39 PM »
Murray vs MU: Morant with 16 of the 23 assists, MS wins by 19 w/MS 9-18 3point shooting.
Murray vs. FSU: Morant with 4 of 7 assists, FSU wins by 28 w/MS 7-18 3 point shooting.

A whopping 47 point turn around! Pretty sure Coach Leonard "Carrot" Hamilton had the more sound defensive game plan of MS's 2 opponents. .

I believe the announcers in Connecticut were the same in both games. The woman announcer made an interesting observation on the defensive game plan. I do not recall her exact words but this was pretty close: " Notice how FSU doesn't overcommit on defense." And then the zinger: You DON"T see 5 guys collapsing on Morant!"

It’s almost like MU and FSU different personnel!

But yeah. We should’ve had Joey Hauser tasked with the same things as a guy like Mann or Kabangale (no idea how to spell that). That would’ve worked even better!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:23:13 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 12:17:05 PM »

Ok. Different personnel. Different coach. Different defensive game plan. FSU's worked. MU's did not. We got blown out. They blew out Murray State. Lenny was ignorant in stating "bad defense". It simply did not work. Got it!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.