'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The other 36 minutes  (Read 7247 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
The other 36 minutes
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
I was watching the last 2 minutes of the 1977 NCAA championship game on YouTube and the announcers were discussing the type of players Al McGuire would recruit.
Al said that with the game 40 minutes with 10 players that each player only gets 4 minutes with the ball and he would recruit player based on what they did in the other 36 minutes.

bilsu

• All American
Re: The other 36 minutes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
I think that is where Wojo goes wrong. He is always trying to recruit shooters. His teams have been very good offensively, but his players has been bad defensively. Generally, good shooters are not bangers. Bernard Toone could shoot and he was quick and athletic. However, he drove McGuire crazy, because he could not get him to bang inside.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
MU was a pretty good defensive team this past season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »
MU was a pretty good defensive team this past season.
Not in the NCAA tournament. They could not get out to cover the open three point shooters. The Big East was pretty weak this year, which helps to skew the defensive statistics.
They also could not stop guards like Ponds and Powell.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
Not in the NCAA tournament. They could not get out to cover the open three point shooters. The Big East was pretty weak this year, which helps to skew the defensive statistics.

They were a good defensive team this year regardless of the ncaa tournament.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
They were bad in the tournament because of Ja Morant.  And a lack of guards.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:01 PM »
They were bad in the tournament because of Ja Morant.  And a lack of guards.

And a bad defensive game plan. And a lousy performance from our 43% usage guy. And a lousy performance by our supporting cast (other than Sam).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
Don't exempt Sam.   MU struggled down the stretch against guards with size attacking relentlessly.   Ja was simply a continuation of that and the best of the bunch.   He was the reason I predicted a double digits loss.   Had I known the Hausers had chosen to attack Wojo and Markus with a letter, I would have predicted a 20 point loss.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:24:24 PM »
whole different game now-3 point shot, shot clock, much more physical, etc etc.  al employed a 4-corners offense quite often.  that required good, patient ball handlers, not shooters
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »

Yes, but that same team also beat Louisville, Kansas State, Buffalo, Wisconsin that aren't in the Big East.  Gave KU fits in the first half.  I get what you are saying, but the game of basketball has changed a ton.  Shooters win teams a lot of games these days.  Tough to find good shooters who also are athletic enough to play with elite athletes on the opposite side.  Usually have to pick your poison on that front.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »
Yes, but that same team also beat Louisville, Kansas State, Buffalo, Wisconsin that aren't in the Big East. 

What month did we beat Louisville, Kansas St, Buffalo and Wisconsin?

What month were we destroyed by Murray St?

When did we beat Georgetown on the road without our 2nd team All American Big East POY? When did we lose to them on our home court at full strength?

This really isn't all that complicated.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
What month did we beat Louisville, Kansas St, Buffalo and Wisconsin?

What month were we destroyed by Murray St?

When did we beat Georgetown on the road without our 2nd team All American Big East POY? When did we lose to them on our home court at full strength?

This really isn't all that complicated.

Man this Cheeks guy really resides inside your brain.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:49 PM »
Man this Cheeks guy really resides inside your brain.

Man, you are totally obsessed by this lunacy. Another alter ego?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »

Wait, is Fluffy now Chicos too? Because looking at his post history, Fluffy is definitely not Chicos.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »
And a bad defensive game plan. And a lousy performance from our 43% usage guy. And a lousy performance by our supporting cast (other than Sam).
Are you actually saying Sam had a good game against Murray State? If so, you have lost all credibility.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

No, I just don't understand why you just can't let it go.  If Chicos said the grass is green, you'd post incessantly about how the grass is actually a shade of kelly green.  The guy bothers you so much that you just can't let the littlest thing go and every detail, no matter how small and inconsequential, must be challenged.  It's really pathetic.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »

No, I just don't understand why you just can't let it go.  If Chicos said the grass is green, you'd post incessantly about how the grass is actually a shade of kelly green.  The guy bothers you so much that you just can't let the littlest thing go and every detail, no matter how small and inconsequential, must be challenged.  It's really pathetic.
Careful. He’ll review your post history and make derogatory comments about it. Lol.

The guy is completely obsessed. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »

thank you fluff !! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
And a bad defensive game plan.

I'm sorry, but that's plain ignorant.  The defensive game plan was sound: shut down Morant and dare them to shoot from the outside.  Any coach with an IQ > a carrot would have drawn up the exact same plan with this team. 

Murray State was better than Steph Curry from 3-pt land, let alone what they were relative to their performance over the prior 4+ months.  Even if executed perfectly (which, of course, we didn't), not even Virginia beats Murray State in the 1st round.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
Wait, is Fluffy now Chicos too? Because looking at his post history, Fluffy is definitely not Chicos.

Don't underestimate anyone around here pulling the long-con.   

After all, the tools to cross-reference IP's and detect "multiple-personalities" is already built into the Scoop software... which begs the question, if someone has all the answers, what are they trying to hide?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »

After all, the tools to cross-reference IP's and detect "multiple-personalities" is already built into the Scoop software... which begs the question, if someone has all the answers, what are they trying to hide?

Are you saying...Hilltoppers is Chico’s?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

Big East was down (I actually started a question to Jay Wright after they were blown out with "did the fact that the whole big East was down this year keep your team from being prepared for Purdue's level of play?"). However, the ranking as 45th best defensive rating adjusts for level of offenses faced.

It seems to me we hit two incredible star players - Thornwell last appearance, who was the best college players, and Morant who should be the no. 2 NBA pick. Id say maybe we don't do well against the one great player, but I thought we played Ben Simmons tough.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »

What if we're all missing the real long con, that Cheeks ISN'T Chicos?  :o :o :o
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
I'm sorry, but that's plain ignorant.  The defensive game plan was sound: shut down Morant and dare them to shoot from the outside.  Any coach with an IQ > a carrot would have drawn up the exact same plan with this team. 

Murray State was better than Steph Curry from 3-pt land, let alone what they were relative to their performance over the prior 4+ months.  Even if executed perfectly (which, of course, we didn't), not even Virginia beats Murray State in the 1st round.

Murray vs MU: Morant with 16 of the 23 assists, MS wins by 19 w/MS 9-18 3point shooting.
Murray vs. FSU: Morant with 4 of 7 assists, FSU wins by 28 w/MS 7-18 3 point shooting.

A whopping 47 point turn around! Pretty sure Coach Leonard "Carrot" Hamilton had the more sound defensive game plan of MS's 2 opponents. .

I believe the announcers in Connecticut were the same in both games. The woman announcer made an interesting observation on the defensive game plan. I do not recall her exact words but this was pretty close: " Notice how FSU doesn't overcommit on defense." And then the zinger: You DON"T see 5 guys collapsing on Morant!"

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:05:03 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »
What if we're all missing the real long con, that Cheeks ISN'T Chicos?  :o :o :o

Hoopaloop's revenge?

feedback