'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of #MUBB  (Read 19389 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: State of #MUBB
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »
there was

Sorry...I will do what everyone does to me...who's your source?? And unless you were there..which you weren't...you don't know that to be 100% factual. Sorry I'm doubting you, but that's kind of the way things work here...You are probably right, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't get it from anyone so..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2019, 10:09:41 PM »
Very few people outside the Marquette bubble see Wojo as the bad guy in Hausershima.

I'd change that to "no one" outside the MU bubble. From an objective distance, it's pretty simple to see what happened. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
Sorry...I will do what everyone does to me...who's your source?? And unless you were there..which you weren't...you don't know that to be 100% factual. Sorry I'm doubting you, but that's kind of the way things work here...You are probably right, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't get it from anyone so..

I drunkenly revealed my source once on here before. It's not my story to tell but it happened.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:53:03 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:55 PM »
I drunkenly revealed my source once on here before. It's my story to tell but it happened.

Fair enough, but I'm assuming(maybe wrongly), that you knew the girl or someone that knew the girl. Playing devil's advocate here, that doesn't mean she couldn't have just made it up...you understand that, right?? Now, I'm NOT saying that is what happened, but those types of things DO and HAVE happened a lot before, it wouldn't be the first time someone made a false claim, and please let's also remember, we are innocent until proven guilty in this country. So, realistically would you not agree that unless you were actually present at the time, you can not be 100% certain that it did occur, right?? You can trust someone's word, or think you do, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have fabricated it a bit.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:33 PM »
This is so patently false...he did more then just dip his toe in the water.

That is a rumor that some were circulating. I wouldn't put any stock in it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
Fair enough, but I'm assuming(maybe wrongly), that you knew the girl or someone that knew the girl. Playing devil's advocate here, that doesn't mean she couldn't have just made it up...you understand that, right?? Now, I'm NOT saying that is what happened, but those types of things DO and HAVE happened a lot before, it wouldn't be the first time someone made a false claim, and please let's also remember, we are innocent until proven guilty in this country. So, realistically would you not agree that unless you were actually present at the time, you can not be 100% certain that it did occur, right?? You can trust someone's word, or think you do, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have fabricated it a bit.

Legally we are innocent until proven guilty yes. When I was a freshman at MU I drunkenly stole some of those taquitos from the old Open Pantry, I've never been arrested but it did happen. Am I guilty? Yes.

As far as making things up I'm not going to jump down that rabbit hole again. But you realise that argument can be made for everything. I mean literally yesterday you were going on about sources on the Hauser situation, could I not use the exact same argument regarding your sources?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
Legally we are innocent until proven guilty yes. When I was a freshman at MU I drunkenly stole some of those taquitos from the old Open Pantry, I've never been arrested but it did happen. Am I guilty? Yes.

As far as making things up I'm not going to jump down that rabbit hole again. But you realise that argument can be made for everything. I mean literally yesterday you were going on about sources on the Hauser situation, could I not use the exact same argument regarding your sources?

Sure you could...but also understand, in your situation it's quite different when you are talking about people's reputations, images etc at stake. That CAN get into areas of libel etc. So you have to be really careful.

You're only guilty if you get caught  :)

onepost

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
So if he knocked the presser out of the park and you heard what you wanted to hear, you would've ignored the inside information you want everyone here to know you heard and decided Wojo is the man for the job?  The insider information you got on how horribly Wojo handled this team wasn't enough to form an informed opinion?

And you are looking for confirmations that Wojo is not the guy for the job?

Whatever makes you happy, I guess.

I was told what I was told and yes, it 100% played a role in forming my opinion of Wojo and the job he's doing: of which I'm incredibly unimpressed and disappointed.  But that's not to say he can't do things after-the-fact that change my perception of him and the job he's doing.  Obviously, opinions and perceptions change as time goes on.

When I saw he had a presser, and knew the Hauser situation would come up, I was hoping he'd take accountability and at least show he could use this as a learning moment: that he wouldn't make this same mistake again.  A simple "I could have handled things differently to keep two pillars of my program here and will learn from this" would go a very long way, FOR ME.  But no, we got the disingenuous "I was stunned they left" and "You'll have to ask Sam and Joey" typical deflections and danced around the entire subject.  That didn't show leadership or accountability in my opinion, so yes I was disappointed in his responses there.  But he's making it clear he's bought in to this group and these guys and hopefully that prevents the same crap from happening in 9 months.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2019, 06:28:55 AM »
I was told what I was told and yes, it 100% played a role in forming my opinion of Wojo and the job he's doing: of which I'm incredibly unimpressed and disappointed.  But that's not to say he can't do things after-the-fact that change my perception of him and the job he's doing.  Obviously, opinions and perceptions change as time goes on.

When I saw he had a presser, and knew the Hauser situation would come up, I was hoping he'd take accountability and at least show he could use this as a learning moment: that he wouldn't make this same mistake again.  A simple "I could have handled things differently to keep two pillars of my program here and will learn from this" would go a very long way, FOR ME.  But no, we got the disingenuous "I was stunned they left" and "You'll have to ask Sam and Joey" typical deflections and danced around the entire subject.  That didn't show leadership or accountability in my opinion, so yes I was disappointed in his responses there.  But he's making it clear he's bought in to this group and these guys and hopefully that prevents the same crap from happening in 9 months.
Clueless Wojo
 The loss of the Hausers is his responsibility, no matter how he and his excuse makers here try to spin it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2019, 06:57:43 AM »
The best hope to get rid of Wojo is for him to succeed just enough this coming season, so that he is among the top prospects list for the coaching carousel. I think if something good like Maryland( or equivalent) comes up he would take the money and run. Crean got 6 years and a cool $20 million from Georgia so the loot is definitely out there. The good news is Wojo put his toes in the water a little bit with Va Tech and saw that he was worth something in the open market. He got his extension so he is not perceived as damaged goods. If he can deliver something like 21-22 wins and 3rd in Big East, he will be ripe for the picken.
Great...then we can lose the Class of 20 and start all over.  Hmmmm....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2019, 07:07:40 AM »

Yeah coaches just aren't going to do this regardless of how successful they have been.  No one is going to label departed players "pillars of my program."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2019, 07:09:35 AM »
This is so patently false...he did more then just dip his toe in the water.

I think whomever you trust as your sources, they are off base.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
I'd change that to "no one" outside the MU bubble. From an objective distance, it's pretty simple to see what happened.

Yes it is.   And with over 800 division one transfers this year, other than it being starters and brothers, it isn't even that unusual of a story.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
The best hope to get rid of Wojo is for him to succeed just enough this coming season, so that he is among the top prospects list for the coaching carousel. I think if something good like Maryland( or equivalent) comes up he would take the money and run. Crean got 6 years and a cool $20 million from Georgia so the loot is definitely out there. The good news is Wojo put his toes in the water a little bit with Va Tech and saw that he was worth something in the open market. He got his extension so he is not perceived as damaged goods. If he can deliver something like 21-22 wins and 3rd in Big East, he will be ripe for the picken.

Is your hope for Wojo to be fired, or for Marquette to be successful?

My hope is Wojo rises to the challenge of losing Sam and Joey and leads MU to its best season since 2013. My hope is for a Big East championship. My hope is for a 3rd NCAA bid in 4 years. My hope is for another Sweet 16 appearance. My hope is for a Class of 2020 that ranks in the Top 10. My hope is that MU joins Villanova as a conference and national power.

Wojo is the current coach of the program. I get it if you're skeptical he's the right guy for the job. But I don't see how hoping for him to be fired -- under any conditions or circumstances -- is good for the program, now or for the long term.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
Is your hope for Wojo to be fired, or for Marquette to be successful?

My hope is Wojo rises to the challenge of losing Sam and Joey and leads MU to its best season since 2013. My hope is for a Big East championship. My hope is for a 3rd NCAA bid in 4 years. My hope is for another Sweet 16 appearance. My hope is for a Class of 2020 that ranks in the Top 10. My hope is that MU joins Villanova as a conference and national power.

Wojo is the current coach of the program. I get it if you're skeptical he's the right guy for the job. But I don't see how hoping for him to be fired -- under any conditions or circumstances -- is good for the program, now or for the long term.
Have consistently said that Wojo is performing at a level whereby the administration won’t fire him. Scholl told us that at the press conference .

Hence, only way out is for Marquette to be successful and  Wojo gets hired away. I always want MU to do well, so I think it is a win win situation. Team does well and Wojo can get a big money deal from someone else .

Also think it is in Wojos best interest to get another job. If he can demonstrate that he can win at multiple schools, he may be able to get in position for the Next Near Blue Blood when it opens up.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
Sure you could...but also understand, in your situation it's quite different when you are talking about people's reputations, images etc at stake. That CAN get into areas of libel etc. So you have to be really careful.

You're only guilty if you get caught  :)

And given all those considerations I trust the information. And you risk libel with basically anything.

I get the humorous intent of what you're saying regarding guilt but I don't have a humor bone on this topic. was just reading on the diversions of legality vs Ethics vs Morals. They may not be proven guilty in law but it happened and was unethical and immoral.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
Have consistently said that Wojo is performing at a level whereby the administration won’t fire him. Scholl told us that at the press conference .

Hence, only way out is for Marquette to be successful and  Wojo gets hired away. I always want MU to do well, so I think it is a win win situation. Team does well and Wojo can get a big money deal from someone else .

Also think it is in Wojos best interest to get another job. If he can demonstrate that he can win at multiple schools, he may be able to get in position for the Next Near Blue Blood when it opens up.
But, if he has a big recruiting haul this summer/fall re the Class of 2020 and has a very good 19-20 season and is lured to XYZ U, what happens when all those recruits renege?  Seems to be a flaw in your thought process?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
But, if he has a big recruiting haul this summer/fall re the Class of 2020 and has a very good 19-20 season and is lured to XYZ U, what happens when all those recruits renege?  Seems to be a flaw in your thought process?

Or.. if wojo proves to be successful enough to be considered by a blueblood, wouldn't we want him to stay and transform MU into that blueblood?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:30 PM »
Or.. if wojo proves to be successful enough to be considered by a blueblood, wouldn't we want him to stay and transform MU into that blueblood?
Sure, but that would probably be very unlikely.  Why would he turn down a blue blood ?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »
Sure, but that would probably be very unlikely.  Why would he turn down a blue blood ?

Herman wants wojo gone. He just sees the best win-win scenario for Marquette if wojo is successful and gets bought out.

I think that's a bad opinion because there's obviously no guarantee our next coach would be successful. I'd rather, if wojo is successful, that he stick around indefinitely.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »
Wojo is in way over his head. Actually, I felt badly for him after watching the presser.

If he could coach effectively it would not matter how he handles the PR.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »
If he could coach effectively it would not matter how he handles the PR.

Bob Knight is holding for you on line 1....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2019, 05:00:57 PM »
This thread hasn’t been a real delight in an otherwise slow day. Thank you all.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
I drunkenly revealed my source once on here before. It's not my story to tell but it happened.

Mine on this issue a priest. I tend to trust them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback