[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: State of #MUBB  (Read 19197 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: State of #MUBB
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
It does take some luck to win the tournament in most cases.  My issue is that we needed another 20 points of luck to get a first round win over a 12 seed that was 1-2 in quad 1 games on the season.

Luck can be as simple as who one plays.  There were a number of teams with better seeds than our opponent that we would have done better against with a chance to win against perceived “better” team.  Who you play, where you play, when you play is part of the luck involved because one has no control over it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
If it frustrates you as much as it obviously does and if you're so certain he's spewing complete BS, why even bother watching/listening to what he has to say?

He's the head coach of my alma mater's basketball team, and I'd like to have an informed opinion of him and the job he's doing.
Watching him give canned (to great effect apparently, given how many posters are slurping it up) responses and disingenuous answers such as "I don't know why, and am just flabbergasted, two of my best players left after months of strife and contention" lends more credence to the fact I'm not sold on him.  It further validates my feelings on him and for that reason, I'll invest half an hour in listening to it.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
I can comprehend just fine, I've followed college basketball long enough to realize that it's a press conference: no I don't give a rat's ass what positive spin a coach puts on his shortcomings in a press conference.  His actions that resulted in said shortcomings after 5 years on the job have shown he still doesn't get it.  Buzz won every press conference he spoke at, but we all know he was incredibly full of crap.  "I'm really surprised Sam and Joey left".  Really?  That response alone lets me know I'm not going to gather much actual insight from what he has to say because he's not being genuine.

Agree to disagree. I felt Wojo was being extremely genuine and authentic. He explained it as being taken back a bit by the result, but then filtered it through the reality of a transfer epidemic. I don’t see it as bs at all. However, it is extra painful in that these weren’t also-rans. I think we’ll be fine.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
It was a decent, not great, press conference.    Much like his coaching.    He hit talking points.   He was impassioned in his defense of Markus (as he should be), he was adult and mature about the Hausers leaving, he was positive about the coming season.         The times when he stepped out of clichés was in his discussion of 'the noise', his defense of Markus as a person and a leader.      He SHOULD defend his record.   He SHOULD defend those who stayed.    He SHOULD present an optimistic look at next year.   He SHOULD play up how good he thinks the 19-20 team can be even with the departure.   He SHOULD play up Koby and Greg.      I would jump on the 'Fire Wojo' bandwagon if he failed to do those things.      Who would want a coach that says 'we suck.   The Hausers leaving is the worth thing ever.    We may just cancel next season'?     That is for some scoopers to say.   

It is also clear that he and the AD are sympatico.     Which, amazingly, just pisses people off more.    And the AD made clear that it is a 3 part process; the court, the classroom, and the community.   

I predict that unless K retires, Wojo is here in 5 years.     Hopefully, he will continue to grow as a coach.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
It’s ok to defend yourself but also to admit the NCAA results for example, are not good enough to continue long term. It isn’t either or. It’s both in my opinion.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »
 We were, and rightfully so, told that you shouldn't judge a coach until he's been on the job for 5 years. Well, 2 NCAA early exits later and all we have to show are our asses handed back on a platter by the opponents. Didn't even put up a fookin' fight. Its a crapshoot alright, except the crap we're shootin' comes from eatin' some burritos loaded with beans.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
Disagree we didn’t fight in the first NCAA game.  It was a close game with about 10 minutes to play....64-63.  With 7+ minutes a 5 point game.  They also went on to the Final Four....no slouch of a team.

This year NCAA plain sucked. Bad strategy, or bad execution....one of the two.  Factor in a great PG and it was not a good situation for anyone.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
We were, and rightfully so, told that you shouldn't judge a coach until he's been on the job for 5 years. Well, 2 NCAA early exits later and all we have to show are our asses handed back on a platter by the opponents. Didn't even put up a fookin' fight. Its a crapshoot alright, except the crap we're shootin' comes from eatin' some burritos loaded with beans.
The best hope to get rid of Wojo is for him to succeed just enough this coming season, so that he is among the top prospects list for the coaching carousel. I think if something good like Maryland( or equivalent) comes up he would take the money and run. Crean got 6 years and a cool $20 million from Georgia so the loot is definitely out there. The good news is Wojo put his toes in the water a little bit with Va Tech and saw that he was worth something in the open market. He got his extension so he is not perceived as damaged goods. If he can deliver something like 21-22 wins and 3rd in Big East, he will be ripe for the picken.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »

Yup. And he's got this program on an upward trend. Hope he's here for 5+ more

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »
The best hope to get rid of Wojo is for him to succeed just enough this coming season, so that he is among the top prospects list for the coaching carousel. I think if something good like Maryland( or equivalent) comes up he would take the money and run. Crean got 6 years and a cool $20 million from Georgia so the loot is definitely out there. The good news is Wojo put his toes in the water a little bit with Va Tech and saw that he was worth something in the open market. He got his extension so he is not perceived as damaged goods. If he can deliver something like 21-22 wins and 3rd in Big East, he will be ripe for the picken.

Oh good. Another rebuild. I'm sure everyone will be happy with that. And imagine if the next hire would fail like a Danny Manning. That would be swell.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
I predict that unless K retires, Wojo is here in 5 years.     Hopefully, he will continue to grow as a coach.

Why would it matter if K retires?  Wojo has zero shot at the Duke job.  He might’ve been in the conversation with a deep tourney run next year and a strong 2020 recruiting class to keep it going.  Post Hausershima, not so much.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2019, 07:12:58 PM »
Yup. And he's got this program on an upward trend. Hope he's here for 5+ more

To quote Chris Penn from Reservoir Dogs, “You beat this guy long enough, he’ll tell ya who started the great Chicago fire, but that don’t necessarily make it fookin’ so!”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »

Wojo didn't dip his toe in any water. Others invited him to but he said naw
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »

This is so patently false...he did more then just dip his toe in the water.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
He's the head coach of my alma mater's basketball team, and I'd like to have an informed opinion of him and the job he's doing.
Watching him give canned (to great effect apparently, given how many posters are slurping it up) responses and disingenuous answers such as "I don't know why, and am just flabbergasted, two of my best players left after months of strife and contention" lends more credence to the fact I'm not sold on him.  It further validates my feelings on him and for that reason, I'll invest half an hour in listening to it.

So if he knocked the presser out of the park and you heard what you wanted to hear, you would've ignored the inside information you want everyone here to know you heard and decided Wojo is the man for the job?  The insider information you got on how horribly Wojo handled this team wasn't enough to form an informed opinion?

And you are looking for confirmations that Wojo is not the guy for the job?

Whatever makes you happy, I guess.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »

Yep, choice of words can slant things in the directions you want them to go.  Easy of a habit to acquire. l
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2019, 08:33:02 PM »
Post Hausershima, not so much.
Very few people outside the Marquette bubble see Wojo as the bad guy in Hausershima.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Very few people outside the Marquette bubble see Wojo as the bad guy in Hausershima.

It’s not about seeing Wojo as the bad guy.  Had he been able to keep the roster together, he would’ve finally had a chance to really make his bones nationally with what likely would’ve been a top 10 team all year that had a legit shot at a deep tourney run.  Now next year will be, IMO, very similar to the two post-Wade NIT years and Buzz’s last year; we’ll struggle to make the tournament and might get left out altogether.  Once Markus leaves, he’ll be facing another retooling at best, a 2-3 year rebuild at worst.

Duke will want a coach that has proven he can win consistently on the big stage.  Wojo isn’t even close to that, and lost his first best chance with the Hauser transfer.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2019, 09:11:38 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »

So let's leave it alone
'Cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy
There ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me
And we just disagree

We Just Disagree - Dave Mason

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »

LOL....but Mayo should have been kept.  This remains priceless.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »

Source?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 09:21:00 PM »
It’s not about seeing Wojo as the bad guy.  Had he been able to keep the roster together, he would’ve finally had a chance to really make his bones nationally with what likely would’ve been a top 10 team all year that had a legit shot at a deep tourney run.  Now next year will be, IMO, very similar to the two post-Wade NIT years and Buzz’s last year; we’ll struggle to make the tournament and might get left out altogether.  Once Markus leaves, he’ll be facing another retooling at best, a 2-3 year rebuild at worst.

Duke will want a coach that has proven he can win consistently on the big stage.  Wojo isn’t even close to that, and lost his first best chance with the Hauser transfer.

Did you ever think for a moment that it was impossible?  Someone stays, someone goes.  Someone goes, someone stays. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »
LOL....but Mayo should have been kept.  This remains priceless.

You know what??   I am taking some time off Scoop to recenter myself.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:25:22 AM by mu_hilltopper »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
You know what?? F you Chicos..you have No idea what I know or don't know...you always puff your chest out like you have all this great info...like with Buzz saying there WAS a rape...you don't know...you weren't there...that's a FACT. Yet, you claim to have info on that and everyone is supposed to believe you, because well...you're the best around, right?? what Chicos said is 100% true when it pertains to MU BB. I don't need your affirmation...I'm plenty confident in the things I know.

there was
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback