[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of #MUBB  (Read 19449 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: State of #MUBB
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 12:01:10 AM »
I enjoyed Wojo ripping on some fans that shortchange Markus.  I think PRN was on his mind.

I knew what he was talking about right from the start, but when he stressed...”and I’m not talking about you guys in the media”....that had to further tick off the vocal minority here that loathes him.

Herman Cain is right...he definitely reads Scoop. So, Coach...know this....

Marquette is every bit the special place you thought it was when you took this job. We have been blessed with a continuum of coaches who have kept our winning spirit alive after a certain NY Irishman built us from scratch into the 70s powerhouse that not only won huge, but did it with unique style and flair, with our leader being more original than the tapestry of life itself. Every picture, every highlight, every coach and player “quote” to the press affirmed one thing....this place is the height of cool.

Just be yourself. I saw a guy in a press conference today that is driven. A guy very comfortable in his own skin. A guy who welcomes expectations. A guy who has been there and knows what it takes. Most of all, I saw a bigger spark in that guy’s eye today than ever before...after an unfortunate event that would eat at lesser coaches. That spark comes from a real place. I see a coach who feels a closeness in this team that can produce an other-worldly chemistry. Had everything gone swimmingly, we wouldn’t sneak up on anyone next year. Now, it’s like our league, the rest of the country, even some of our own “fans” are writing us off. We never have fit the “preseason #2” mold anyway. This is the kind of situation coaches live for. Wojo looked us all in the eye today and stated what he feels is fact...that this team is going to be damn good.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 01:27:41 AM »
I think they should print that on every game ticket, so everyone remembers.

"People have got to understand, to win the league championship is difficult now with the difficult scheduling," Izzo said. "To win a national championship or go deep into the tournament, it's sometimes a crapshoot. You've got to be good enough, you've got to be lucky, you've got to be a lot of things."

Tom Izzo. 2018

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
"It's a crapshoot," Roy Williams said Tuesday from Lawrence. "You have to be lucky."

Roy Williams, head coach Kansas
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:38:28 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 05:19:05 AM »
Values. Values. Values.

😘
Results. Results. Results

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 06:56:01 AM »
Wojo is in way over his head. Actually, I felt badly for him after watching the presser.
He's definitely feeling the heat, I'm hoping against hope he proves us all wrong.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
"People have got to understand, to win the league championship is difficult now with the difficult scheduling," Izzo said. "To win a national championship or go deep into the tournament, it's sometimes a crapshoot. You've got to be good enough, you've got to be lucky, you've got to be a lot of things."

Tom Izzo. 2018

Tom Izzo and the MSU program have won 10 NCAA games the past 5 years. (He won 12 his first 5 years as head coach there).

Wojo referenced Tony Bennett and going from a first round NCAA exit to National Champions.  But the key is the 2nd part happened. The key with Izzo is that winning at a high level still happens with their program.

The expectation is to not only make the NCAA tourney almost annually at Marquette. The expectation is to do something while there some of the time as well. It is understood that it is challenging. But results or lack of results matter.

Wojo in my opinion came across as a bit defensive about this topic as one might that has not produced in this category. It would have come across better to me as a definitive, “Our NCAA tourney results are not good enough right now. We know that. We will do everything we can to to improve that moving forward.”

The AD said yesterday that MU wants to go to Final Fours and compete for National Titles. That is his publicly stated expectation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
Yup, well aware of what Izzo has done...he is an elite coach that isn’t walking through our doors.  My point is he, K, Wright, Few, Williams, etc, etc, etc are in the profession at the highest level and all are saying luck is needed ( sorry NickleDimer...fact), how hard it is, the crapshoot nature, etc....but we have internet coaches that no better or think that Izzos are a dime a dozen and should be easy for MU to hire and retain.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 08:22:38 AM »

Tom Izzo. 2018

I truly do get it, that it's a crapshoot in the NCAAs.  Marquette is exhibit one out of many.

Of course, when Izzo (52 NCAA wins) says it's hard, it's different than when a guy with zero wins says it.

"Look how hard it is! So hard, I haven't been able to do it once.  But maybe the dice will roll our way next year, so keep the faith."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
I truly do get it, that it's a crapshoot in the NCAAs.  Marquette is exhibit one out of many.

Of course, when Izzo (52 NCAA wins) says it's hard, it's different than when a guy with zero wins says it.

"Look how hard it is! So hard, I haven't been able to do it once.  But maybe the dice will roll our way next year, so keep the faith."

Wojo has been part of coaching staffs that won national titles, Final Fours, early losses.....he has seen and been part of as a coach.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »
Wojo has been part of coaching staffs that won national titles, Final Fours, early losses.....he has seen and been part of as a coach.

Right, I'd totally forgotten.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
Yup, well aware of what Izzo has done...he is an elite coach that isn’t walking through our doors.  My point is he, K, Wright, Few, Williams, etc, etc, etc are in the profession at the highest level and all are saying luck is needed ( sorry NickleDimer...fact), how hard it is, the crapshoot nature, etc....but we have internet coaches that no better or think that Izzos are a dime a dozen and should be easy for MU to hire and retain.

Luck is needed sure. So is putting yourself and your program in a position to be successful. Would you agree that a fair expectation for MU bball regardless lf coach is in the middle of Izzo and Wojo results?

Take the past 5 years for Izzo or even take his first 5 years. Get to the 2nd weekend a few times, while also making the NCAA’s almost annually. Win Big East titles every so often etc...

These are some of the specific expectations on the court results based expectations. Wojo has made NCAA’s 2 out of 5 years, 2 out of last 3. It wouldn’t he a good idea for him to miss the NCAA’s the next several years while also getting to the 2nd weekend a couple of times. It’s seems pretty clear.

My expectations are higher than the current results of the program. I am not advocating this or that. It seems very fair and reasonable that beginning with this upcoming season, results need to be maintained and improved, meaning top tier Big East finishes, making NCAA’s, winning games in NCAA’s, better conference tourney, success v rivals and big name ooc opponents too. Next year is year 6 for Wojo at MU. These are fair expectations in my opinion. If he cannot produce that, an upgrade is needed.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:32:53 AM by shoothoops »

onepost

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
...he definitely reads Scoop. So, Coach...know this....

Marquette is every bit the special place you thought it was when you took this job. We have been blessed with a continuum of coaches who have kept our winning spirit alive after a certain NY Irishman built us from scratch into the 70s powerhouse that not only won huge, but did it with unique style and flair, with our leader being more original than the tapestry of life itself. Every picture, every highlight, every coach and player “quote” to the press affirmed one thing....this place is the height of cool.

Just be yourself. I saw a guy in a press conference today that is driven. A guy very comfortable in his own skin. A guy who welcomes expectations. A guy who has been there and knows what it takes. Most of all, I saw a bigger spark in that guy’s eye today than ever before...after an unfortunate event that would eat at lesser coaches. That spark comes from a real place. I see a coach who feels a closeness in this team that can produce an other-worldly chemistry. Had everything gone swimmingly, we wouldn’t sneak up on anyone next year. Now, it’s like our league, the rest of the country, even some of our own “fans” are writing us off. We never have fit the “preseason #2” mold anyway. This is the kind of situation coaches live for. Wojo looked us all in the eye today and stated what he feels is fact...that this team is going to be damn good.

Lol

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
I knew what he was talking about right from the start, but when he stressed...”and I’m not talking about you guys in the media”....that had to further tick off the vocal minority here that loathes him.

Herman Cain is right...he definitely reads Scoop. So, Coach...know this....

He is referring to Twitter.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
Lol

One of my “expert” handicapping buddies laughed in my face when I told him I was including Country House in my Oaks-Derby Double wager. Literally laughed at me like Cheeseburger from Let It Ride. Well, $2600 later, and I haven’t heard from his broke a$$ in a week.

Please laugh. Please. Cmon. Listen to me....you can do it.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
He is referring to Twitter.

I suspect it's mostly Twitter & the blogs (Paint Touches, Anonymous Eagle, Cracked Sidewalks). He might check the forums too, but I'd guess that's lower level people than him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »
One of my “expert” handicapping buddies laughed in my face when I told him I was including Country House in my Oaks-Derby Double wager. Literally laughed at me like Cheeseburger from Let It Ride. Well, $2600 later, and I haven’t heard from his broke a$$ in a week.

Please laugh. Please. Cmon. Listen to me....you can do it.

What an apples and oranges comparison......congrats on knowing horses?
I'm laughing that you think Wojo is opening every (recently) dumbass thread on this site and is familiar with all posters, then that you'd write him a 'Miracle'-esque pump-up soliloquy about "sparks" and "we never fit the preseason #2 team anyway" nonsense.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
Crapshoot implies wins and losses.

We have not won a tourney game since 2013.  Hence, the natives are restless.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
Crapshoot implies wins and losses.

We have not won a tourney game since 2013.  Hence, the natives are restless.

No it doesn’t.  It implies the random nature of the event which is why even coaches that have won it all have to remind the natives of their insanity.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »

Duke's results since winning the title in 2010:

2019 - 3-1 Elite 8

2018 - 3-1 Elite 8

2017   1-1   Lost to South Carolina in second round, 88-81

2016   2-1   Defeated North Carolina-Wilmington in first round, 93-85
Lost to Oregon in regional semifinal, 82-68

2015   6-0   Defeated San Diego State in second round, 68-49
Defeated Wisconsin in National Championship, 68-63

2014   0-1   Lost to Mercer in first round, 78-71

2013   3-1   Defeated Albany in first round, 73-61
Lost to Louisville in regional final, 85-63

2012   0-1   Lost to Lehigh in first round, 75-70

2011   2-1   Defeated Hampton in first round, 87-45
Lost to Arizona in regional semifinal, 93-77
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
What an apples and oranges comparison......congrats on knowing horses?
I'm laughing that you think Wojo is opening every (recently) dumbass thread on this site and is familiar with all posters, then that you'd write him a 'Miracle'-esque pump-up soliloquy about "sparks" and "we never fit the preseason #2 team anyway" nonsense.

I think you’re laughing less at my post and more at that concept that some people actually took a lot out of that press conference. I’ve never seen the guy that energized. That is clearly bothering some people. And the analogy is fine...laugh away...I’m serious...laugh the F away...it’s great for the team. It’s a lot easier to motivate and coach up a team than to meet ludicrous expectations. Sorry you can’t comprehend.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
It does take some luck to win the tournament in most cases.  My issue is that we needed another 20 points of luck to get a first round win over a 12 seed that was 1-2 in quad 1 games on the season.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »

Very well said. We got this.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
No it doesn’t.  It implies the random nature of the event which is why even coaches that have won it all have to remind the natives of their insanity.

IMO, random nature of events is going 2-4 in OT including losing 2 2OTs to end your season with a disappointing 9-9 conference record and miss the NCAAs for the first time in 8 years.  Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. 

Going 5 years without a NCAA win is more of a trend than it is random nature of events.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

onepost

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »
I think you’re laughing less at my post and more at that concept that some people actually took a lot out of that press conference. I’ve never seen the guy that energized. That is clearly bothering some people. And the analogy is fine...laugh away...I’m serious...laugh the F away...it’s great for the team. It’s a lot easier to motivate and coach up a team than to meet ludicrous expectations. Sorry you can’t comprehend.

I can comprehend just fine, I've followed college basketball long enough to realize that it's a press conference: no I don't give a rat's ass what positive spin a coach puts on his shortcomings in a press conference.  His actions that resulted in said shortcomings after 5 years on the job have shown he still doesn't get it.  Buzz won every press conference he spoke at, but we all know he was incredibly full of crap.  "I'm really surprised Sam and Joey left".  Really?  That response alone lets me know I'm not going to gather much actual insight from what he has to say because he's not being genuine.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
I can comprehend just fine, I've followed college basketball long enough to realize that it's a press conference: no I don't give a rat's ass what positive spin a coach puts on his shortcomings in a press conference.  His actions that resulted in said shortcomings after 5 years on the job have shown he still doesn't get it.  Buzz won every press conference he spoke at, but we all know he was incredibly full of crap.  "I'm really surprised Sam and Joey left".  Really?  That response alone lets me know I'm not going to gather much actual insight from what he has to say because he's not being genuine.

If it frustrates you as much as it obviously does and if you're so certain he's spewing complete BS, why even bother watching/listening to what he has to say?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter