Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Joey made it happen?  (Read 48659 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Joey made it happen?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »

He probably also saw what was happening with Herro.

Hero is a much better player than Joey.  I think Joey can become a very good player, but the upside much like Hank has a ceiling that is lower than what he believes it is.  Now, if Joey haunts us for one whole game a year.... oh well. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »

He probably also saw what was happening with Herro.
Whom he reportedly did not want to play with.  Because of ball hogging tendencies.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
There is no kudos to be thrown to Wojo. He fooked up major in mishandling the entire fiasco. What the hell did he learn sitting next to K all those years? He let a campfire escalate to a forest fire.

Disagree doc.  Takes two to tango.  No one in 100% to blame.  That doesn’t mean 50-50 either, but I am glad to see the rest of the team rallying at this point.   It makes 0% sense that these two were willing to stay and play for this coach if one other guy left.  That tells me it isn’t all on the coach, but partially on them, too.  Shame....but life goes on.  I will back the guys that have MU on the front of the jersey.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »
Disagree doc.  Takes two to tango.  No one in 100% to blame.  That doesn’t mean 50-50 either, but I am glad to see the rest of the team rallying at this point.   It makes 0% sense that these two were willing to stay and play for this coach if one other guy left.  That tells me it isn’t all on the coach, but partially on them, too.  Shame....but life goes on.  I will back the guys that have MU on the front of the jersey.

The Jerseys says Marquette on the front...
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 02:12:53 PM »
If the BEPOY/Second team All-American leaves, we'll stay and play for you, coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Whom he reportedly did not want to play with.  Because of ball hogging tendencies.

Feels like a guy who was the man in a small town in Wisconsin and wanted to remain that way and didn’t realize he was going up in weight class.  I can only hope in a few years he will mature and recognize it, but it will be somewhere else.

I expect to read quotes from him in future saying that he didn’t have the maturity at 18, didn’t realize how hard this was going to be, made some decisions maybe he shouldn’t have but life isn’t perfect path. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
If the BEPOY/Second team All-American leaves, we'll stay and play for you, coach.

Yup, makes zero sense but this is what the Wojo haters are essentially saying.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
You guys are all so naive, and believe everything you see online. Smh...Joey was NOT the reason for the transfer(s).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
Does anyone know who the player Markus allegedly called out after the Murray State game is?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
You guys are all so naive, and believe everything you see online. Smh...Joey was NOT the reason for the transfer(s).

You see the irony there'd be if people believed you because you wrote this right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »
Could see that, whether or not it was ever truly discussed openly. Unfortunately Joey had nowhere near the handle of Henry (which to my recollection was not a high bar to set)
Henry was a tremendous College Basketball Player . He averaged 17 and 10 as a freshman. If our Coach would have disciplined him to play within a team concept ( which meant he would have been more of a post player ), he probably would have been in the 21-12 type category . That said ,Joey actually has the shot that Henry has been trying obtain .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
The think is, if you ponder it, the two narratives have more in common than in opposition.   Especially if you add in what we witnessed.   Joey was visibly frustrated as far back as November with not getting the ball when/where he wanted it.    He already thinks Markus is a ballhog.    Then Markus has the gall to tell HIM to get tougher.   Which Wojo reinforces publicly.    Joey becomes convinced that Markus is getting preferential treatment, and the feeling grows as Joey goes through the frustrations of freshman year.   If you think back over the games, how often did you see Joey frustrated about not getting the ball?    It grows.    A feeling of being betrayed by the coach.   Markus and hero ball.   Winning at Georgetown without Markus.     A losing streak.    A letter.    An ultimatum.    A return and then two departures.   
    The two narratives intertwine.   A few details diverge, as they always do.    Who signed the letter, was the team more upset with Markus or Joey?     Different perspectives, possibly both with truth.     

In the end, no detente could be reached.   And I do think that Joey will go on to be as good as his brother.    Though I am still skeptical either gets more than a 10-day in the league.    And it is entirely possible he comes back in a couple of years healthy and torches MU on the court.    Or not.    Can't be helped now.

There’s really only one way to deal with unhappy people. See ya’.

I remember reading an article by a CEO who was constantly praised for the good attitude of his employees. He said he listened to their complaints, implemented what they asked for, and went out of his way to placate them. Result? No change.

So he fired the unhappy people and those with bad attitudes and hired people who were happier. That’s all it took to change the culture of the company.

In other words, good riddance, Joey.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2019, 02:38:17 PM »
This reeks of a PR “leak.”

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2019, 02:58:33 PM »
Feels like a guy who was the man in a small town in Wisconsin and wanted to remain that way and didn’t realize he was going up in weight class.  I can only hope in a few years he will mature and recognize it, but it will be somewhere else.

I expect to read quotes from him in future saying that he didn’t have the maturity at 18, didn’t realize how hard this was going to be, made some decisions maybe he shouldn’t have but life isn’t perfect path.

Plenty of kids come from small towns and adjust just fine.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Just for full credit and citation, this originated over on Dodd's board.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Reply/hackleft-Reply-131752410/

Good for you Rocky, nice move.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
Henry was a tremendous College Basketball Player . He averaged 17 and 10 as a freshman. If our Coach would have disciplined him to play within a team concept ( which meant he would have been more of a post player ), he probably would have been in the 21-12 type category . That said ,Joey actually has the shot that Henry has been trying obtain .

Henry had his own ambitions which were to audition for the NBA scouts.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »

Says the guy who constantly makes statements that the rest of us are supposed to believe.

Which doesn't put you in the minority, guru, we all do it. But you are calling folks out for doing exactly what you do.

And I seriously doubt that you know exactly what happened here, either.

The obvious conclusion is that Wojo, as the CEO, gets a huge chunk of blame for letting a situation blow up, AND the Hausers fanned the flames of discontent to play a major role in the breakup of a potentially good team.

They quit Marquette. They are F%ckies now. Screw 'em.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:26:08 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2019, 03:22:24 PM »
In my experience in the workworld and in athletics, you can't make everyone happy.  Joey was unhappy playing 30 minutes a game as a freshman on a 24 win team. 

Sometimes people will never be happy until they are somewhere else,.

Yep, I think Coach K had a similar problem with Rasheed Sulaimon.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »
There is no kudos to be thrown to Wojo. He fooked up major in mishandling the entire fiasco. What the hell did he learn sitting next to K all those years? He let a campfire escalate to a forest fire.
What do you think Wojo could of actually done. He could of benched Joey and Joey would of transferred anyway. His only choice was to let Joey play through it. Wojo runs his offense through his guards. The guards shoot and that is what he wants.

Somebody said Joey wanted to go to Wisconsin, but his dad said he had to play with Sam. I have no idea if this is true, but maybe Joey never really wanted to be here. To me the majority of the problem is with the father. He is telling the boys what to do, he is apparently fighting with Markus's father. He tells Sam he has to stick with family. He tells his sons to write a letter. He is upset when Wojo does not stick up for his 6'8" & 6'9" sons when they get in a shoving match with a 5'11" player.

I do not think there is much Wojo could of done to change the final outcome.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
Somebody said Joey wanted to go to Wisconsin, but his dad said he had to play with Sam. I have no idea if this is true, but maybe Joey never really wanted to be here. To me the majority of the problem is with the father. He is telling the boys what to do, he is apparently fighting with Markus's father. He tells Sam he has to stick with family. He tells his sons to write a letter. He is upset when Wojo does not stick up for his 6'8" & 6'9" sons when they get in a shoving match with a 5'11" player.

The TV broadcasts throughout the season often showed the Hauser parents in the stands at home games and even some -- maybe many -- road games. Stevens Point is 155 miles from Milwaukee -- not exactly down the block. I assume the father has a job. How do you find time to do all that traveling? And it isn't cheap. Along with everything the father allegedly did, he (they) seem like stereotypical helicopter parents taken to the extreme.  A redo of Maymon’s father.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
What do you think Wojo could of actually done. He could of benched Joey and Joey would of transferred anyway. His only choice was to let Joey play through it. Wojo runs his offense through his guards. The guards shoot and that is what he wants.

Daddy and Mommy H did not emerge from this looking great IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »

The word is “have” (not “of”).

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
Everything I've heard indicates that the parents would have preferred them to stick it out at MU. This was the kids' decision.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
Everything I've heard indicates that the parents would have preferred them to stick it out at MU. This was the kids' decision.
Kids or kid, I go with kid...
Goal is National Championship

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
To the people here who place most or all of the blame on Wojo, I have a question:

Do you think it was Pop’s fault the Kawhi didn’t want to play in San Antonio? Kawhi basically did what Joey did to get out of town.

feedback