[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74310 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
So what I’ve learned in this tread is we’re slightly better than mediocre. WOO HOO!!!
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Not satisfactory in the same definition as poor and inferior....I rest my case.  Making the ncaa tournament is not poor, not inferior.

I got news for you....with your definition of not being mediocre, MU has achieved that less than 20 times in 100 years.   I guess we are mediocre program then with a few bright spots sprinkled in....oh, and that can be said about 97% of all programs.  Oh well....here’s to mediocrity as you define it.

“It's a disease. Nobody thinks or feels or cares any more; nobody gets excited or believes in anything except their own comfortable little God damn mediocrity.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road

“Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.”
― Gordon B. Hinckley

“You will never see an eagle of distinction flying low with pigeons of mediocrity.” Onyi Anyado
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »

Hilarious.  Mediocre mid major...ok.

Your very first post on this board was   "WHAT A JOKE!"   A few posts later in 2008 you said "NIT HERE WE COME".  Then went on to say Crean had brought nothing in (recruits).  You went on to say that we could have had Bo Ryan twice, but took a pass.   

You are awesome.  Your comments at the end of each year are especially magical....and consistent.  Must suck to be miserable in life.
Speaking of sucking in life, you must take the cake there by going back and reading my posts from 12 years ago. I dont know what my first post was in 2006 or further  back and dont care.  But you must because you researched it.  I dont remember posting about RYan, however, he was way more successful than Crean.  Yes and thank you for the compliments of awesome and magical.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Winning every day is a t-shirt slogan and a bumper sticker.  It also means you can win by losing, something Kevin O’Neill used to say...some of the most important wins come immediately after losses or failures.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
So what I’ve learned in this tread is we’re slightly better than mediocre. WOO HOO!!!

What you should have learned is we had a top 25 team most of the year, finished 17th best in the eyes of the NCAA before the tournament, neither of which is mediocre or slightly above.  Yup, we had a terrible finish.  We were better than last year, better than Buzz’s last year, better than any time during the Wojo tenure.  We will see if it continues.

You have made up your mind, we all get it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2019, 03:43:53 PM »
What you should have learned is we had a top 25 team most of the year, finished 17th best in the eyes of the NCAA before the tournament, neither of which is mediocre or slightly above. Yup, we had a terrible finish.  We were better than last year, better than Buzz’s last year, better than any time during the Wojo tenure.  We will see if it continues.

I will say this one more time Chicos...I layed it all out for you in an earlier post..You keep saying "making the NCAA tournament is NOT mediocre". Again, you are comparing it to 350+ other NCAA teams. NO ONE is talking about comparing it to other teams in the NCAA or at least a vast majority..It's all about your expectations for the MU program..for YOU making the NCAA's isn't mediocre. For YOU being a top 5 seed(even after a monumental collapse in which they were at LEAST a 3 seed prior to that) isn't mediocre because you are looking at it thru the lens in comparison to other schools that you feel MU should be compared to...Thru THAT lens(the one you choose to see it thru) the results are NOT mediocre...to others of us, and what we expect and want from the program, those results ARE mediocre. Pretty simple to understand...or so I thought.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

I will say this one more time Chicos...I layed it all out for you in an earlier post..You keep saying "making the NCAA tournament is NOT mediocre". Again, you are comparing it to 350+ other NCAA teams. NO ONE is talking about comparing it to other teams in the NCAA or at least a vast majority..It's all about your expectations for the MU program..for YOU making the NCAA's isn't mediocre. For YOU being a top 5 seed(even after a monumental collapse in which they were at LEAST a 3 seed prior to that) isn't mediocre because you are looking at it thru the lens in comparison to other schools that you feel MU should be compared to...Thru THAT lens(the one you choose to see it thru) the results are NOT mediocre...to others of us, and what we expect and want from the program, those results ARE mediocre. Pretty simple to understand...or so I thought.

Again we've had 3 nonmediocre years since 78 then. What indicator is there that we deserve better? I want more and I'd like more but expecting more at this point is irrational.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »
What you should have learned is we had a top 25 team most of the year, finished 17th best in the eyes of the NCAA before the tournament, neither of which is mediocre or slightly above.  Yup, we had a terrible finish.  We were better than last year, better than Buzz’s last year, better than any time during the Wojo tenure.  We will see if it continues.

It is worth noting the NCAA has stated that they base the seeds on the full body of work over the course of the year. So yes, 17th was probably appropriate. However, the run rate of the team at the end of the year was indeed terrible and resulted in a beat down in the first round. Wheels came off the wagon and of course that happens to teams sometimes, Unfortunately for MU this disaster came at the worst time possible. Indeed at the end of the year the team was playing at a mediocre level.

So the question is whether or not the mediocre level was an aberration and MU reverts to where they were prior to the implosion and Hausergate. I believe the team will have a strong year. The record may not show it as the Big East , for the most part, looks to be improved. We should be able to deliver 20 plus overall wins and 10 plus conference wins.

The 2020 recruiting class is very important too. We have a lot of spots to give.  We need to be signing guys who have the clear potential to Big East starters without qualification. Not all the spots are going to be successfully filled, but we need enough to have the potential for  the percentages work in the teams favor.  Appears as if our guys are working the circuits hard and hopefully we get some good news early from certain of the guys we have offers out to , who have expressed positive vibes toward MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
Lots of people need to get laid. Insanity going on here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:41:43 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Again we've had 3 nonmediocre years since 78 then. What indicator is there that we deserve better? I want more and I'd like more but expecting more at this point is irrational.

And again....“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2019, 04:12:01 PM »

I don’t think anyone doesn’t want to dream big. Including Marquette administration. They just have more faith in Wojo to get them there than you do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2019, 04:15:25 PM »
I would argue last year's overall results were good/very good, but overall the last 5 years have been mediocre. It's disingenuous to compare us to everyone in D-1.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
"I have my own expectations.   I don't care about yours."  -Lazar's Headband

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
I would argue last year's overall results were good/very good, but overall the last 5 years have been mediocre. It's disingenuous to compare us to everyone in D-1.

Rebuilds tend to do that, which is why trajectory matters.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »

You know what? You're right. I DEMAND we get the NUMBER 1 RECRUIT EVERY YEAR!!! FIRE WOJO AND GET K HIMSELF!!!  WE SHOULD ALL EXPECT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY YEAR, HELL AL MCGUIRE WAS A FAILURE BECAUSE HE DIDN"T HAVE WOODEN SUCCESS!!!!!!!

You're right! being like you doesn't feel mediocre at all...
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2019, 04:47:04 PM »
You know what? You're right. I DEMAND we get the NUMBER 1 RECRUIT EVERY YEAR!!! FIRE WOJO AND GET K HIMSELF!!!  WE SHOULD ALL EXPECT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY YEAR, HELL AL MCGUIRE WAS A FAILURE BECAUSE HE DIDN"T HAVE WOODEN SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Hey, that isn't my quote, I just posted it...bit this society does tend to reward mediocrity.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2019, 04:47:57 PM »
Rebuilds tend to do that, which is why trajectory matters.

So now you're not disagreeing Wojo's tenure HAS been mediocre?? Interesting.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 28, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

How MU82 of you.  And I say that in a complimentary way.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
"You play to win the game"
Yes.  Right on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
So now you're not disagreeing Wojo's tenure HAS been mediocre?? Interesting.

Guru

When we were thinking of Wojo 5 years ago I asked people here to sell me on him.  I wanted an established coach, was tired of the assistant route.  My biggest concern was coming from Duke does that set you up for the realities of being at a school that isn’t Duke?  Could he teach, coach kids that weren’t more polished and athletic than most other recruits.

Now I still don’t know if he is the guy, but I would not characterize his tenure as mediocre if that’s what you mean.  Each coach has a different set of realities than others....different conferences, different commitments, different levels of local talent, facilities, tv deals, etc.  To compare one to another is just wrong without understanding that nuance.   He took over a team with a misaligned roster and fresh off a newly configured conference where some were predicting gloom and doom.  He did a rebuild for two years.  Since then, three postseason tournaments.  So no, I don’t think it was mediocre.  He didn’t walk into a roster like Buzz did after Crean. He didn’t walk into the same conference. Crean obviously hit a homer in with Wade, a kid he fought for to get in....if the administration said no, then what? 

I’m sticking with Wojo based on last three years, based on helping to get a second team All American playing for us at a high level, and an exciting brand of basketball.  I know you and a few others don’t give a rip about whether these kids stay off the police blotter, out of the headlines or are model citizens....some of us do...and it is good to see we can win without the ancillary nonsense.  If we start losing, no longer competing, etc, then I may change my position.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
ND sucks

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »

Knot true, the McGuires had 3 kids, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #347 on: April 28, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
This just keeps getting dumber and dumber.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 28, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
“It's a disease. Nobody thinks or feels or cares any more; nobody gets excited or believes in anything except their own comfortable little God damn mediocrity.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road

“Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.”
― Gordon B. Hinckley

“You will never see an eagle of distinction flying low with pigeons of mediocrity.” Onyi Anyado

Look who learned how to use the googles on the interwebs!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:10 AM »
Look who learned how to use the googles on the interwebs!

Guru's definitely a Bing guy.