[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74340 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »
You're content with what/where MU is as a program...your prerogative. But I assure you you're "settling". Others of us, look at what Buzz accomplished...two sweet 16's, and an Elite 8, or Crean...a Final four, and when you compare the programs then, as to opposed to now..there is simply no other way to put it...the results have been mediocre. That's simply not good enough.

“The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.” Maureen Dowd   Bingo!

The first of those sweet 16s we were extremely mediocre. A heck of a lot more mediocre than this year. And the 5 years prior we had 7,8, and three 6 seeds. If your thesis is that a 5 seed is mediocre then of that 8yr stretch we were mediocre for all but 2 yrs and in the entirety of Buzz and Crean we weren't mediocre for 3yrs.

Considering how much you pine for those days that pretty poor in 15yrs.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
Mediocre = common, average.

When less than 20% of schools make the tournament that is neither common or average.  Perhaps you should come up with new quotes about changing the definition of words to fit a meaning only you recognize.
To play devil's advocate,  confine the % to P6 schools.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
To play devil's advocate,  confine the % to P6 schools.

Of course the % will go up, but it will still be less than 50%.  In our own conference 40% made it, with St John’s being the last team into the tournament.  We were one of the 4.  PAC 12 had 3 of 12.  Big Ten had 8 of 16.  Etc
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #303 on: April 28, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
I’m not settling for a damn thing.  You don’t know what the meaning of mediocre is and every time you trot it out there you expose yourself.

Settling is exactly what you are doing...you have stated numerous times about how a program like MU should be happy with making the tournament etc etc. And citing Wojo's upwards trajectory as an accomplishment etc. In other words, you are content with where the program is currently, and even small gains in future years will be satisfactory to you. Then you go on to blast people(like me), that want/think the program can be elite again. You are the exact definition of "settling" my friend. It's not just you though, it's MANY MANY MANY others here. Which then would have you circle back to "I accept the reality of what type of program MU is/can be". Which then allows me to remind you:

"Being realistic is the quickest path to mediocrity"

As far as not knowing what the definition is...I am well aware of what the definition is, I posted it in this thread or another, I can't remember. The difference being...YOU don't see it as mediocre because you use the results and compare it to other "schools on the same level as MU". I use it in comparison to schools like the Elite's, the bluebloods, because that is where i want to see the program go. Because I, unlike most others here will NOT settle. Because again...

"Being realistic is the quickest path to mediocrity"

I don't do "mediocre". I don't "settle". Others here do(incuding you). That's fine.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:17:25 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #304 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
Guru

Read what you just wrote.  If I am ok with upward trajectory, doesn’t that mean they are improving and I am not settling?

Lol.  If they were flat or going the other way, you would have a point....but that isn’t what has happened.

I’ve also said many times I don’t know if he is the guy, but as long as we are making progress and going the right direction then I will stick with him.  How is making progress settling?  How is doing better than previous years not improving and mediocre.  You literally are making up new definitions to words.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »
Of course the % will go up, but it will still be less than 50%.  In our own conference 40% made it, with St John’s being the last team into the tournament.  We were one of the 4.  PAC 12 had 3 of 12.  Big Ten had 8 of 16.  Etc
yes. So, one could argue we have been a mediocre P6 team under Wojo

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
yes. So, one could argue we have been a mediocre P6 team under Wojo

This past season, we made the NCAA tournament....the average For P6 teams did not.

The definition of mediocrity seems to have changed from what the dictionaries say.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
Marquette should have higher standards than being an average P6 team.  Arguing over word definitions doesn't change that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Marquette should have higher standards than being an average P6 team.  Arguing over word definitions doesn't change that.

That’s fine....and a different argument, but then use those words and stop making words that have different definitions applicable to drive an agenda.

Making the ncaa tournament is not mediocre. Period.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #309 on: April 28, 2019, 12:06:56 PM »
Any over under guesses on how many times Rainman says mediocre over the next two weeks? 

He clearly blew away the over on Crapshoot.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
People are using mediocre in comparison to the standards for Marquette basketball. Not compared to the likes of Ole Miss and Rutgers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
That’s fine....and a different argument, but then use those words and stop making words that have different definitions applicable to drive an agenda.

Making the ncaa tournament is not mediocre. Period.

Out of the mouths of babes....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
People are using mediocre in comparison to the standards for Marquette basketball. Not compared to the likes of Ole Miss and Rutgers.

Bingo!! Not sure why Chicos wants to use schools like Ole miss and Rutgers in his argument. It has NOTHING to do with them, or how many schools make the NCAA's or anything. It simply has to do with your expectations for MARQUETTE basketball independent of the other 350+ teams in college basketball.

So, if we look at the dictionary.com definition of the word:

1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:

2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior:

If you break it down using simply the two bolded parts of the EXACT definition of the word mediocre...to Chicos...he would say MU's program does NOT fit either definition of the term...to me(and others) based on MY(our) expectations of where the MU BB program(not any other program) should be this last season(and all 5 years under Wojo) have been EXACTLY the bolded parts...neither good or bad; barely adequate, and not satisfactory.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
Any over under guesses on how many times Rainman says mediocre over the next two weeks? 

He clearly blew away the over on Crapshoot.

There you are! I made you an offer on a bet for next year, and ever since then you haven't been around. I figured...you know your full of sh*t and talk a good game, but when it comes to putting the $ where your mouth is, you run away and hide.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
There you are! I made you an offer on a bet for next year, and ever since then you haven't been around. I figured...you know your full of sh*t and talk a good game, but when it comes to putting the $ where your mouth is, you run away and hide.

Pop a few Geritol and look around I havent gone anywhere.  Nevertheless, your wager was so convoluted and rambling, like most of your posts, that i had zero luck in determining what u were actually wagering.  Only thing i understood was u leaving the board, which i found very appealing.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #315 on: April 28, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
You're content with what/where MU is as a program...your prerogative. But I assure you you're "settling". Others of us, look at what Buzz accomplished...two sweet 16's, and an Elite 8, or Crean...a Final four, and when you compare the programs then, as to opposed to now..there is simply no other way to put it...the results have been mediocre. That's simply not good enough.

“The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.” Maureen Dowd   Bingo!
Not a fan of Maureen Dowd editorial content usually; however, she is spot on. I do however think Maureen is very desirable and luscious sultry bu487sty red head.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:16:06 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 28, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »

Love the Will Smith quote...you ever see his movie "Concussion?"  😆

muguru

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 28, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
Pop a few Geritol and look around I havent gone anywhere.  Nevertheless, your wager was so convoluted and rambling, like most of your posts, that i had zero luck in determining what u were actually wagering.  Only thing i understood was u leaving the board, which i found very appealing.

No, the bet was...you keep going on and on and on about how good MU will be next year...so the bet was...if you are THAT confident, let's make a deal...they were projected to be a top 10 team, and in theory a top 1-2 seed next year in the NCAA's. You keep saying how they will be better without the Hauser's...okay...if that's your theory, let's test it, if MU is still a preseason top 10 team going into next year(or hell at anytime next year for an extended period of time), then I will leave the board permanently..if they aren't, then you leave the board permanently. And believe me, I hope I lose this bet(because that means that MU was really good). Deal??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
Not a fan of Maureen Dowd editorial content usually however she is spot on. I do however think Maureen is very desirable and luscious sultry bu487sty red head.

For the record, I can't stand her either, but the quote is apropo

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
For the record, I can't stand her either, but the quote is apropo

I find your spelling to be mediocre.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
 ND sucks

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2019, 02:20:05 PM »
Out of the mouths of babes....

Winning every day is a t-shirt slogan and a bumper sticker.  It also means you can win by losing, something Kevin O’Neill used to say...some of the most important wins come immediately after losses or failures.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
Bingo!! Not sure why Chicos wants to use schools like Ole miss and Rutgers in his argument. It has NOTHING to do with them, or how many schools make the NCAA's or anything. It simply has to do with your expectations for MARQUETTE basketball independent of the other 350+ teams in college basketball.

So, if we look at the dictionary.com definition of the word:

1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:

2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior:

If you break it down using simply the two bolded parts of the EXACT definition of the word mediocre...to Chicos...he would say MU's program does NOT fit either definition of the term...to me(and others) based on MY(our) expectations of where the MU BB program(not any other program) should be this last season(and all 5 years under Wojo) have been EXACTLY the bolded parts...neither good or bad; barely adequate, and not satisfactory.

Not satisfactory in the same definition as poor and inferior....I rest my case.  Making the ncaa tournament is not poor, not inferior.

I got news for you....with your definition of not being mediocre, MU has achieved that less than 20 times in 100 years.   I guess we are mediocre program then with a few bright spots sprinkled in....oh, and that can be said about 97% of all programs.  Oh well....here’s to mediocrity as you define it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
Winning every day is a t-shirt slogan and a bumper sticker.  It also means you can win by losing, something Kevin O’Neill used to say...some of the most important wins come immediately after losses or failures.

"Win every day" means "You can win by losing"? In what universe?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »

Addition by Subtraction, maybe.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust