'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Now What  (Read 16317 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Now What
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:00 AM »
I think it's a legit concern.  You have to be able to shoot the 3 to win in college basketball.  Hopefully McEwen or Elliott have been working on their shooting to the point that they can be a reliable option.
No you don't....have to hit 3's to win in college b-ball. That can be your style and what teams force you into if that is what they give you. But MU has to be . . . MU.   

You might have to guard the 3pt shot and the perimeter and funnel that action to our shot blocking 'bigs.'

if you defend and protect the ball and move it well and finish you will be fine.

I am more concerned in some respect to rebounding than I am with shooting 3's...they can shoot 3's well enough and will top this year's pct.

But 3's are my least concern...

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 01:43:10 AM »
Bailey's shot will improve.   Sacar shot 36%.   Cain may recover his freshman form.   Greg has two good hands.    I think you are obsessing over the 3 pt shot and ignoring faster players.

What mindless drivel. We lost a vital component of our offense.

Here's an alternative view: Bailey's shot might not improve. Sacar might get to the rim but he still can't finish. Cain might be the sophomore Cain. Elliott might not be ready.

Some of us are concerned about losing the Hausers' 3 pt shooting. And who says we are going to run?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 05:53:06 AM »
I think it's a legit concern.  You have to be able to shoot the 3 to win in college basketball.  Hopefully McEwen or Elliott have been working on their shooting to the point that they can be a reliable option.

Looks like Koby is putting in work.

https://twitter.com/thetrueone1_/status/1121200240009404416?s=21If
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 06:28:51 AM »
Tower:

Keep up the positive vibes.

It seems the only thing the attendees of the Vegan Summit can do now is complain and criticize.  Nothing positive coming out.  I've had enough of that.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »
Positive vibes are always good!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »
It is like anything else in life.   Stay positive or whine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »
+1!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »
What mindless drivel. We lost a vital component of our offense.

Here's an alternative view: Bailey's shot might not improve. Sacar might get to the rim but he still can't finish. Cain might be the sophomore Cain. Elliott might not be ready.

Some of us are concerned about losing the Hausers' 3 pt shooting. And who says we are going to run?

The Hausers are gone, we'll see how Wojo adjusts. Players have definitely improved under Wojo, perhaps that continues. Perhaps without the Hausers, Wojo commits to whatever system he feels most comfortable with and maximizes the player talent as a result. There is no doubting that the odds of Wojo pulling it off have gone down significantly but we shall see.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
The Hausers are gone, we'll see how Wojo adjusts. Players have definitely improved under Wojo, perhaps that continues. Perhaps without the Hausers, Wojo commits to whatever system he feels most comfortable with and maximizes the player talent as a result. There is no doubting that the odds of Wojo pulling it off have gone down significantly but we shall see.

This sums up my beliefs pretty succinctly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »

Bailey's shot needs an overhaul. Mechanics are not good, which led to the inconsistency in results, and even where his misses were. Hopefully Dr. Nelson can work through it with him.

Sacar's case will be most interesting to me. There's no question he benefited from the space that playing with two 40% three point shooters allows. Can he make it happen with presumably less driving lanes?

The Detroit boys are wildcards, and ultimately, may end up determining a lot of how this season will go. Jamal could really use a redshirt year to tighten up his handle and footwork, but the roster won't allow for that. It was being discussed prior to Hausershima. I see a lot of backup QB syndrome with Greg. And don't get me wrong, I love the energy and toughness he brought as a freshman. But he's not a great shooter, and had his fair share of turnovers. I had to chuckle seeing him mentioned as a possible PG.

I do think playing fast is one of the few advantages MU has as currently constructed. I think we'll see some lineups with Sacar at the 4 with Ed at the 5 to try and make teams play faster than they're comfortable doing. I'd really feel a lot better with one more shooter, but we'll see how things shake out this spring.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »
They played pretty well this year when they got out and ran.  Next year's team is even better suited to run.  I have no doubt they will try to push tempo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
They played pretty well this year when they got out and ran.  Next year's team is even better suited to run.  I have no doubt they will try to push tempo.

One of the best cures for an offense that struggles in the half court is to not play against a set half court defense.

MU's defense will be very good next year, the question is can they turn defense into offense.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »

I'd have to dig up the numbers, but I remember seeing Paint Touches discuss how poor MU's offense was in transition this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
Can't help but thinking there are fans that want us to fail.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
Bailey's shot needs an overhaul. Mechanics are not good...
This is preposterous. His mechanics are perfect. All his misses were long or short, which IMO is a function of freshman adrenaline and trying to make an impression. He can shoot. He’s just got to calm down.

I’m not suggesting he will make up for all that’s been lost. But he can shoot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
This is preposterous. His mechanics are perfect. All his misses were long or short, which IMO is a function of freshman adrenaline and trying to make an impression. He can shoot. He’s just got to calm down.

His release point was all over the map last year. Some low, some high, and there at times was some left-right movement as he brought the ball up.

He was a mid 30% outside shooter in HS and shot 25% from three last year. Someone with a perfect shot doesn't shoot that poorly.

He's got the tools to improve. Maybe "overhaul" was too strong, but there are some fundamental things he needs to work on this summer.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
Can't help but thinking there are fans that want us to fail.....

Nobody here wants MU to fail. But as we look ahead to next year, there are some legit concerns and a lot of unknowns. If we can't discuss that here, where can we?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
Nobody here wants MU to fail. But as we look ahead to next year, there are some legit concerns and a lot of unknowns. If we can't discuss that here, where can we?

Not what I am alluding to.  We can discuss all we want, that’s normal.  It’s about some hoping things don’t go well.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »
Not what I am alluding to.  We can discuss all we want, that’s normal.  It’s about some hoping things don’t go well.

This is poppycock, there is no one that doesn't want things to go well.

There are absolutely some on Scoop that are perpetually aggrieved when things aren't going right and disappear when things go well but no one on this board is hoping things don't go well. There is a massive difference between "I don't think there is any way Wojo meets expectations next year and he's gotta go" and "I really hope we lose because Wojo sucks and needs to go". Don't go trying to stifle debate by implying contrarians are some how the later.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
This is poppycock, there is no one that doesn't want things to go well.

There are absolutely some on Scoop that are perpetually aggrieved when things aren't going right and disappear when things go well but no one on this board is hoping things don't go well. There is a massive difference between "I don't think there is any way Wojo meets expectations next year and he's gotta go" and "I really hope we lose because Wojo sucks and needs to go". Don't go trying to stifle debate by implying contrarians are some how the later.

No one?  Ok. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
I am more concerned in some respect to rebounding than I am with shooting 3's...they can shoot 3's well enough and will top this year's pct.

I am concerned about both. It looks like we will be small, so obviously rebounding is a worry. And small teams usually need to shoot 3s well to make up for a lack of an interior presence.

At .388, we led the BEast and were 12th nationally in 3-point percentage. In other words, we were an elite 3-point shooting team this past season. So I'd be VERY impressed if we topped that. VERY surprised, too.

BOOM!

This is a wonderful 4-sentence synopsis of our situation.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
While everyone wants Wojo to have wild success and grow the program into a blue blood, I think there is a fair number of people who would rather see Wojo fail and get run out of town rather than having a repeat of last year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2019, 03:41:12 AM »
It is like anything else in life.   Stay positive or whine.

Delusional

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2019, 03:47:31 AM »
Delusional

How is that delusional?  Your typing consistently negative things and whining. He's being positive neither is delusional. You've had a weird obsession with personally attacking Tower recently and he's consistently taken the high road. I can't imagine that's a side of you you'd like for your son to mirror as he grows up so why continue to do it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:52:02 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam